Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm considering getting a Switch, but I'm hesitant. I bought the Wii U towards the end of 2015, but since then, it's mostly collected dust. I only got a handful of games for it: Mario Kart 8 (which came with the system), New Super Mario Bros. Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and Bayonetta 2 (the last two which I still haven't finished, let alone made much progress in).

There were more than a few game that I wanted to pick up for the system (Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, Wonderful 101, Splatoon 1, Hyrule Warriors), but the prices for them never seemed to drop that much. I remember waiting a while to see when Splatoon 1 would get a price cut, but eventually. I heard that they were going to stop doing events for it. and now it seems like all the activity is focused on Splatoon 2.

Right now, the one game that's got my interest for the Switch is Mario Odyssey, thought I haven't really heard that much about it. The only review I've seen was ProJared's, and he made it sound like the game was really good, but it wasn't really as earth-shattering as you might expect. Aside from that, the only other games that I'm interested in checking out are Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and Shin Megami Tensei V (though there's been no word yet about whether it's getting released in the US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Whoever says Super Mario Odyssey is too easy should just rush to the post-game. Nintendo does not screw around when the kid gloves come off. :gonk:

I remember when I first started Super Mario 3D World, I thought, 'Man, this seems super-easy!' Then I got to World 8, and the post-ending levels, I thought, 'Cripes, this is really hard!'

Dizz posted:

A lot of critics are giving the game poo poo for the bosses not being hard which is a stupid argument since Mario bosses were never hard themselves, but some stages were. The game is practically Mario 64 mixed with Sunshine in terms of feel and environment.

That's another thing I remember from ProJared's review; he said that Mario's move-set was pulled from Mario 64. I don't think he said anything about the bosses being too easy. I remember one of his complaints was about how the collectibles were hidden, but I'd have to watch the review again, because I don't remember everything he said.

Like I said, though, I'm on the fence about getting the Switch. I picked up a PS4 Pro early this year, and I've played with that a lot more than I have the Wii U since I've bought it, but I don't really know why. I want to say it's the controller, and I want to say it's the price point of the games. but I'm still not sure.

Would anyone say that the Switch is an improvement over the Wii U?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 30, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Does the Switch have any kind of built-in capture, streaming, or social media sort of stuff like the PS4 has? I heard something about there being a photo mode in BOTW and Mario Odyssey, and I was wondering if maybe there was a way to take screenshots and videoclips and then save them to a USB stick or something.

This one by MattMcMuscles is the one that caught my interest:
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/924805012848443392

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

andipossess posted:

There's a dedicated capture button that takes screenshots and (in supporting software titles, mostly first party for now) allows you to record the last 30 seconds of footage, although in the future that will be expanded to up to 5 minutes, I think? This is saved to internal memory or an SD Card, and you can pull it from the SD Card if you shove it in your computer, or you can upload directly to Twitter or Facebook (no youtube, yet).

Also, yeah, Odyssey has a capture mode that lets you move the camera around and add filers and stuff to take cooler photos.

That's cool. I don't have any kind of capture device to record video or capture screenshots from a console, so having it built into the system is a nice touch. I'll have to remember to pick up an SD card if when I get a Switch.

It also helps that I've really taken to photo modes in games. Both Arkham Knight and Shadow Warrior 2 had it, and I spent a good amount of time setting up shots instead of actually playing the game. (Shadow Warrior 2's photo mode was especially nice, since you could take shots at higher resolutions.)

Moving back to Switch talk, I made up a small list of games that I was interested in:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda:BOTW
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Golf Story
  • Splatoon 2)

Is there anything else that's worth checking out? The only other games I can think of is Arms (which didn't really interest me), and Mario Kart 8 (which I already have on the Wii U.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Takoluka posted:

*stumbles over myself as I burst into the room*

ACTUALLY, THEY TOOK OUT THE BIKINI IN TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS AND RUINED MY GAMING EXPERIENCE, NINTENDO TREEHOUSE CENSORSHIP LIVES ON

HERE'S A PLAY-ASIA COUPON

I was under the assumption that people didn't like Tokyo Mirage Sessions because it was supposed to be a combination of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem, yet it ended up being about J-Pop Idols or whatever.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

some of the censorship in TMS was good and some was weird and unnecessary imo

it's a good game that should be ported to the switch like all other good wii u games

Honestly, while I'm thinking about picking up a Switch within the next month or so, I'd like it more of the Wii U's library was ported over so, I could switch the Wii U out for the uh, Switch, and then sell the Wii U. There are still games for the system I want to play like Wonderful 101 and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker, but I've only got so much space and so many HDMI ports on my TV (unless I buy a HDMI switch box).

That being said, I still haven't finished Bayo 2 or Wind Waker HD, and from what I've heard, the Switch doesn't have the Virtual Console, so I'm probably going to hang onto it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I bought a Switch and Mario Odyssey today.

Gotta say, the console doesn't seem like it locks into the dock too securely, but it seems to work fine so far. I get the impression that I'll have to periodically hook the JoyCon in so they can charge up, as it doesn't look like there's a way to connect it directly if you're playing in on the TV.

Mario Odyssey is pretty good from what I've played. I will say that I'm having a bit of skepticism at the moment, though, as I haven't seen anything else for the system that really grabs my interest or that I don't own on another system (ex. I know the new Doom is coming out soon, but I already have it on PC.) I wanted to play stuff like BOTW, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Golf Story, but apart from Shin Megami Tensei V, I don't know what other exclusives are coming out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'll be glad to know that the JoyCon battery lives are pretty long. You can pretty much go the whole day if you wanted to.

I swear I plugged it in for the first time and then looked at the charge level for something and it said that it was already at 47%. I might just be accustomed to the PS4's controller, which loses its charge pretty quickly in comparison.

That looks cute. The Kirby game in the related videos looks interesting as well. I forgot that the system only came out in March, so there's probably a more games coming down the pipeline.

I'm hoping for another Mario Maker game, because I never tried the one for Wii U.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Even though I haven't played #2, I CANNOT WAIT!

Don't feel bad. I have Bayo2, and I've barely played it all despite having bought almost two years ago. I also bought the PC port of Bayonetta 1 despite the fact I finished the game on PS3 (though the PS3 version wasn't that good)

That being said, I hope Bayo 1&2 get re-released on the Switch, so I can buy them along with Bayo3, and then neglect to play them for a long time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

They are both coming in Feb with the same pricing scheme as the set on Wii U

That's cool. The version I got for Wii U was the reprint version, which didn't have Bayo1 included.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Stop the climax, i want to get off!

I don't know why, but of all the highest-difficulty setting names I've seen (Nightmare, Death Wish, Crazy Man, Dante Must Die), Non-Stop Infinite Climax is the one that makes me shudder a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been on the fence today about whether I should buy Bayonetta 2 for the Switch. I bought Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, but that was two years ago, and I still haven't gotten around to playing it outside of the first chapter or so. I've heard that the Bayo Switch ports are really good, and I was thinking that if I picked it up, I could sell off my copies of Bayo1 for PS3 and Bayo2 for Wii U. At the same time, I'm wondering if it's worth getting if I haven't really put that much time into the copy of Bayo2 I already have.

I sort of feel like if I don't buy soon after it comes out, then it won't be available for purchase later. That might just be paranoia, though. I know when it first came out on the Wii U, it came with Bayo1. I bought the reprint/second release that just came with the second game. I had kind of been thinking about buying Monster Hunter World (which I know isn't on the Switch, I'm just thinking in terms of buying a new release).

• Locked thread