Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Harmonix, in their on-going mission to make rhythm games out of game genres that don't need rhythm game elements, has a new rhythm game thing for Switch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9ALEiNCO8

its like a less charming rhythm heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Here’s to hoping he 2018 overview direct is sooner rather than later in January
Personally I’m looking forward to probably FE switch news

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Give me a trailer for FE switch

RME
Feb 20, 2012

smrpg isnt on the 3ds vc probably because they didnt want to deal with the SA1 coprocessor support

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's no way, they would do an announcement of announcement and hype the hell out of it.

my memory is a bit hazy but i think the original sun/moon were revealed in a just before e3 show too

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Motto posted:

And now we have metroids but none by Retro. :v:

the people who made metroid prime are all working on lackluster sotc ports and stuff anyways

RME
Feb 20, 2012

lelandjs posted:

The fact that people got up in arms about that amuses the poo poo out of me. Like, I’m sure some effort and money went into buying the stuff to rip the carts and the software to process and package the rom data but still.

People have made injection tools for the various emulators that Nintendo made for the 3DS and they all run way better than any of the third party efforts on the console do. Sure, injected GBA games don’t have save states, but the GB/GBC emulator is amazing. I’ve thrown romhacks, a patched color version of Mario Land 2, a English translation-patched , Super Gameboy palette-locked version of Picross 2, and even traditionally difficult to emulate games like Metal Gear Solid at it and it’s emulated every single one of them perfectly. Heck, I even accidentally injected a .gba file that was a Game Boy game patched into the GBA Gooma emulator and the 3DS’ GBA emulator played that perfectly too. Nintendo writes some fantastic loving emulation software.

the GBA stuff on the 3ds is running natively lol

e; well kind of, nintenod accomplished it with a weird trick
the 3ds basically goes into DS mode then downclocks itself to GBA speeds

RME
Feb 20, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Did they? Or did they just not rely on the release first patch later mentality that others do? Every project takes time, Nintendo got hurt cause no one wanted a $350add on for the wii, so they were forced to churn out anything on deck.

Fortunately this gave us splatoon, so it was worth it.

TP had a gamebreaking bug on release that had to be patched out

RME
Feb 20, 2012

repiv posted:

The re-issued Gamecube adaptor and re-re-issued Gamecube controller are up for pre-order on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJX3Y47
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJX3ZR8

These were in short supply and ended up getting hilariously expensive last time so pre-ordering is probably a good idea.

really? i got mine so easily like, years after the fact to use with dolphin

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Srice posted:

fwiw I had the experience of getting dunked on a lot in the Splatoon 2 demo but once the full game came out it was a lot more manageable since matchmaking quickly sectioned off the people who had a ton of hours/experience in the original. I imagine it will be similar with Mario Tennis.

Matchmaking pool gets further skewed on the demos because the people very eager to try it and even aware its happening are probably going to be adept and just, more in tune with video game stuff in general

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Bandaid I knew. Dumpster I did not.

But what insane person calls non-coke soda products coke? How would you know what you're getting?

the american south i believe

RME
Feb 20, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Pepsi is just an off brand Coke

its true

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Spellman posted:

There is an issue with D↑ registering unintentionally. It is thought to have been fixed by the Xenoblade 2 Edition Pro Controller (which is what I use), and assumed to have been fixed in future Pro Controller models. But there's still a lot of faulty ones in the wild so it's hard to say what you'll get

In Tetris, this means unintentional hard drops that will wreck your game fast

both of mine do it, and it ends up meaning i just cant use them with 2D games a lot of the time
which is real annoying, especially given their price

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Over There posted:

I love my pro controller and have never had an issue

mbn

RME
Feb 20, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Also, holy moly, either Bayonetta 2 went on a super sale literally today or you get a rebate for already owning part one, but the price on the digital store for 2 is currently $29.99 for me. Which is, you know, tempting.

you do get a rebate for owning for the other one

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FPzero posted:

There's no way it won't also include all of the rest of the pokemon in the game too so you can play with them once you beat the Elite 4.

lol it'll include at most whatever is in pokemon go so far and nothing more

RME
Feb 20, 2012

XC1 was one of the most engaging games i can remember playing in recent memory

RME
Feb 20, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Yeah I've played a ton of RPGs since but I can remember nearly every XC1 plot beat, boss fight, and music track.

im not gonna lie
i actually made a typo in my original post i didnt notice til now
i genuinely meant unengaging rpgs

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Aces has really solid mechanics and the actual tennis action tends to be good but it extremely falls short on simple things like customizing match settings, or letting you play duos with a friend online through matchmaking

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RCarr posted:

This seems like an incredibly stupid question and a no-brainer, but Mario Party will have online multiplayer, right?

lol

lol
Okay technically it does, but not for the way you want it to

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the omega clearly outlines breasts, not a butt

RME
Feb 20, 2012

brave/sunrise stance is a good shot tbh

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Policenaut posted:

There's no modern PC/PS4 version of it for Square-Enix to port.

it got a slightly updated version of its old PC port, but mostly just stuff to make it run on modern OSs
but that never got a ps4 port, unlike the updated 7 one

e; it does have the cheat menu stuff though

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nintendo doesn't have snes ones because either: they think they can get people to buy them individually; they want to hold something as a way to expand the service in the future; the netplay implementation is more difficult because the super nintendo is a much more complex system to emulate and keep synced

so pick your poison for which one you want

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Let's not pretend that you couldn't play SNES emulators online like 15 years ago

you could, on zsnes, an incredibly janky emulator, which was buggy or desynced a lot and drop, and they actually dropped support of that over 11 years ago
or you could use kaillera, which kind of works

retroarch can manage it with rollback netplay and its actually quite nice but its a fairly non trivial implementation

RME
Feb 20, 2012

mancalamania posted:

I'm confused about whether you can use the NES things in handheld mode. The fact that they use the joy-con rails to charge would make more sense if you *can* use them in handheld mode, but on the other hand it looks a little awkward (the d-pad on the left one extends past the Switch screen) and handheld mode isn't actually mentioned anywhere on the website.

To add to the confusion, they have L/R buttons so they are seemingly usable outside of NES games but are missing other joy-con buttons (and presumably gyro + HD rumble?) so are not fully usable as regular joy-cons??

When I saw the Direct I assumed nerds online would have torn apart the PR and figured out exactly how these work and what exact games they work with, but the nerds are failing me! They're not even asking these questions, let alone answering them!

they have L and R buttons because when you tell the switch what controller youre using and how youre holding it, those are the buttons you press at the same time

RME
Feb 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

They're still on your Switch?

I don't understand people complaining about the cloud saves thing. If you're not paying for the service what does it matter if they're still there or not? Like what's the hypothetical situation we're getting upset about here? I can't wrap my brain around it.

if you let your sub lapse intermittently, and the switch breaks during that lapse, you're hosed
vs having some months to get a replacement and activate to redeem them

RME
Feb 20, 2012

American McGay posted:

That's an extreme hypothetical situation, and even then you can't fault Nintendo for it. If I accidentally let my car insurance lapse but also happen to get into a car accident during that time I wouldn't really expect my car insurance company to do anything to help me.

speaking as someone that will probably have an active sub during the time

its not really that hypothetical and i know people that play that way already, on other consoles

RME
Feb 20, 2012

also, consider plenty of other cloud services that are aimed at personal consumer use have some kind of retention on lapsing
google drive will basically freeze your storage until you get it back under:

If you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will reset to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit. If you reach or exceed the free storage limit:
Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files. Syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You can still create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.

even more professionally aimed stuff like B2 will have a 2 week grace before they delete stuff, it's really kind of uncommon to delete things the instant there's a lapse, if only because it could require unnecessary uploading/downloading

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Astro7x posted:

There is a huge difference between these services.

Worst case scenario for Google Drive or Dropbox deleting your data is you potentially lose important files for your business for paying clients, completely loving you over and putting you in legal jeopardy.

Worst case scenario for Switch... maybe you lose your Zelda save and you have to start the game over again?

Seriously. the edge case in this situation is that their subscription ends Sept 18th 2019, their credit card gets lost or compromised on the same day and the subscription service cannot renew, and then they lose or damage their switch on Sept 19th before they can update their credit card information. And then absolutely worst case scenario is you have to start a game over again. Like... it's such an odd and hypothetical situation to be in that I cannot even fathom why people are so worried about it happening to them, other than to just bitch and moan about it

psn retains for 6 months
ms retains for forever

nintendo is still the odd one out lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Astro7x posted:

PSN is $60.
MS is $60.

Nintendo Online is $20.

Nintendo is still the odd one out lol

you actually dont have to pay for MS's cloud saves

and PSN is 60, but that extra 40 dollars isnt going towards 6 month of data retention

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If I recall the no Bluetooth hardware is system program level restricted and not hardware right? Maybe in the future they’ll enable it. The app would be neat with more functionality but it should really be an option of use along with system level voice chat. Like give the app the ability to use a calendar to set game session reminders with friends and give it basically Miiverse and that’d be cool but making it the only way to do voice chat is duuuumb. Personally I use discord already on my phone while playing console games but should still be an option for those who use it

All the Bluetooth connections are dedicated to controllers

RME
Feb 20, 2012

circle is often the confirm button in japanese versions of games

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im appalled some artist would draw a horny

RME
Feb 20, 2012

give me a true successor to battle network and i can die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CrRoMa posted:

If it wasn't for the internet i legitimately would never have heard of trans people, incels, pick up artists, demisexuals or any number of labels people use these days. I'm not even sure I've met a gay person in real life.

you've met plenty
perhaps theres a reason they don't want to be open about it to you?

• Locked thread