Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harlock posted:

What are you guys playing these days? I'm just biding my time until Octopath Traveler. I finally gave up on Xenoblade 2. The combat was just too slow.

Kirby Star Allies and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I looked up the artists who made the Kirby anniversary puzzle portraits. Most of them worked on Pokémon TCG, though one (from what I found) is a sticker illustrator for line, one drew some FE characters for Fire Emblem Heroes (and maybe the FE Cipher card game too? I dunno.) and the last one, from what I've been able to find, worked on posters for freakin' Godzilla and Gundam among others. And the DLC one was made by one of HAL's artists.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're playable characters in Mario Kart 8 DX.

Might be in Mario Tennis Aces when that comes out (though that's pure speculation on my part).

I hope we eventually get a Miitopia sequel for the Switch. That game ruled!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It would be quite criminal if the new Smash doesn't have any sort of Miitopia music, remixes or otherwise.

Or the Dark Lord Battle Themes!

Also, why only music? There should be a stage based on it!

Miitopia was just sooooo good and I want more Miitopia! The adventures of Folt the travelling Mage/Demon/Scientist/Vampire must continue!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

njsykora posted:

The Ikaruga thing was the top player then on Xbox Live (so the best player at that version of the game) putting in his profile.

"The XBLA version of Ikaruga is a horrible port, this isn't Ikaruga, this is Ikaruga LOL."

Our gamer meltdowns were a bit more contained in 2008.

That is... disappointing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

I made a video about character design and mario's enduring legacy, and how it's pretty hosed up nintendo let you dress one of the most recognisable characters in the world as a topless cowboy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Fn-pgJ_8Y

Wow. This was actually a really cool and informative video.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I'd love a video (or a series of videos) about the various design decisions taken by the Mario and Sonic series through the years, how they stack up against each other, and how that affects their standing as brands today.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ooh cool I was wondering how I was gonna beat that.

What did you find disappointing about it? When I compare the two the Pros of FE:
  • The additional strategy layer is great (giving orders on the minimap). Makes losing feel a lot less random
  • On top of this, switching between characters combined with being able to give orders saves a LOT of running around. Instead of spending 90% of your time running from point to point you tell characters to go to the appropriate spot then switch to them
  • The weapon triangle stuff means sending people the right way has a bit more to it, instead of Hyrule where the element stuff quite simply just locks you out of certain missions
  • The scenario mode doesn't require you to use one use only consumable items on bushes or whatever the gently caress to unlock more
  • The scenario mode doesn't literally fail you on a mission for getting hit a single time in a 20 minute mission ahhh you piece of poo poo

The negatives: Half the characters have the same moveset where Hyrule is the best musuo ever for movesets, even the "unique" characters are pretty much Person With Sword, and the "select battles from a map" mode is much better thought out in Hyrule Warriors.

Games/Lore wise Zelda is way way cooler to be a part of the world of, but then they messed up and made you part of the world of the bad ones so it's barely a positive

I can think of some other pros for Fire Emblem Warriors:

• Very few of the Fire Emblem Warriors movesets sucked on arrival. Scimitar and Parasol were utter trash until they were patched to be "loving great" and "annoying at the beginning when you're starting out with it, but hugely rewarding and fun when mastered", and the worst movesets of Fire Emblem Warriors to this day continues to be much better than the current worst movesets in Hyrule Warriors.
  • I actually disagree with you in regards to which "select battles from a map" mode is better: The scenario mode for Fire Emblem Warriors is actually much better in this regard, not being overly long or forcing backtracks (or otherwise requiring you to buy items) to progress.
  • The character switching and ordering is better handled in FEW than it ever is in HW.
  • The character limit is handled better in FEW than it is in HW.
  • This is more a "vs. any other Musou with this element" thing but Horses/Mounted movesets in FEW are extremely well designed in general compared to other Musous with mounts.
  • I don't have to play as Link in order to use my favorite Lightning elemental moveset No wait! My favorite Lightning moveset is Yuga's moveset so disregard that... though I did have to wait until the end of Legends's DLC to get a Lightning moveset I liked with a character I liked If you have a moveset you like, there's better odds that you're able to play a character you like who uses that moveset.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 9, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zelder posted:

Realizing that a huge amount of the movesets were the same killed all my interest in continuing to play the game.

The initial blow was owain being dlc despite being in all the cutscenes but then it turns out he was just ryoma with blonde hair, released 6 months later. Terrible

Owain is great. He's so effing fun to use and is so hilarious. :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

NOBODY liked the Fates cast, which sucks because they make a considerable chunk of the playable cast
Even if there were six variations of Link it was better because they were mercifully mute and Links have a pretty easy to understand personality
Also HW had way more fun weapons and characters
Also who the gently caress is Ralph, like yeah he's a guy that showed up in the oracle games but who cares, I'd rather play as shout outs to Volvagia and Wizzrobes

- Sorry, but all of them have good movesets which makes them cool and good. :colbert: (Except Corrin or Camilla. Their movesets are not good. Though I admit that Corrin's is loads of fun.)
- HIYAH! YAAAH! EEEEYYAH! HAA! (HEY, LISTEN!)
- Sorry, but learning to master Giant Blade, Summoning Gate, Rapier, Ruto, Midna, or Agitha, or using Great Fairy, Spear, Baton, Fi, or Tetra is decidedly unfun. (And if you picked it up on launch, Ganondorf's was also not-good compared to how he should have been while Agitha and Zant were also plain bad... and rather unfun.)
- :frogout: (But let Volga and Wizzro stay because OCs based on common Zelda enemies is cool and good.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The best few characters isn't half as good as the worse hw character, in any way

Oh yes they are. Not having to balance 20+ movesets made sure of that.

EDIT:

Jade Mage posted:

Someone never saw what they did to Tetra. Now imagine a Tetra with sayyy, Lyn's moveset.

Or the Sand Wand. Or the Great Fairy. Or Fi. Or pre-patch Agitha. Or pre-patch Zant.

(Better yet, Xander's or the Peg. Knight, Archer, or Mage movesets. Those are amazing.)

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 9, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I liked the fire emblem characters in Fire Emblem 7, por, rd, and Awakening but the Fates ones were loving awful and made up the gross incesty stupid meat of the cast of few

I'm just happy I didn't need to use Lyn for anything. I find her very meh character-wise.

On the other hand, Xander and Leo are great! (And I actually like Corrin. And Niles. And Hinoka. And Sakura. And Ryoma.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors 2 (I'm assuming this will happen because it doesn't take much sales-wise to justify a musou sequel) is probably going to be heavily influenced by FE Heroes various popularity contests. Also it'll have a lot of peeps from the new Fire Emblem we may find out about at E3.

edit: Real talk, there's a few characters I like from fates, but it's got easily some of the worst writing, scenario planning, characterization... ugh. Really great maps and general unit balance but dang. Also Corrin is like the single most unlikable Lord in the series. At least Eliwood was merely forgettable.

FEW 2 is probably gonna have Binding Blade and Path of Radiance as the focus games (and probably FE Switch too), with maybe some new characters from the previous focus games and some non-focus games appearing too. (And with the characters that did appear in FEW returning as well.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

He has the Blade Lord move set.

For the record, the movesets as I would name them:

Aytolisian Lord (Rowan/Lianna, Sword)
Ylissean Lord (Chrom/Lucina, Sword)
Nohr Princess (Corrin, Sword)
Lodestar (Marth/Celica, Sword)
Myrmidon (Ryoma/Owain, Sword)
Mercenary (Navarre/Lyn, Sword)
Cavalier (Xander, Sword)
Dancer (Olivia, Sword)
Pegasus Knight (Caeda/Hinoka/Cordelia, Lance)
Soldier (Oboro, Lance)
Songstress (Azura, Lance)
Cleric (Lissa, Axe)
Great Knight (Frederick, Axe)
Wyvern Rider (Camilla/Minerva, Axe)
Archer (Takumi/Sakura/Anna/Niles, Bow)
Mage (Robin/Tharja, Tome)
Dark Knight (Leo/Elise, Tome)
Archanean Mage (Linde, Tome)
Manakete (Tiki, Stone)

I have to hand it to the developers because they actually covered a lot of the normal iconic FE classes (+ the focus Lords & some uniques from the focus games), only really missing out on the Fighter and the Knight classes (whose enemy-only generics got an expanded moveset to compensate for that).

Calaveron posted:

At least the six Links all had different weapons and move sets

Young Link and Toon Link's movesets are actually very similiar to the adult Link's moveset, having some unique moves, but being otherwise the same or very similiar.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know about Toon Link but I played the Young Link DLC and I'm pretty sure Link Original's moveset didn't revolve around endless super-bar buildup in order to visit upon his foes an armageddon of hastened puberty.

His C2 heavily reminded me of Link's C2 but modified, and the C3 was basically Link's C3 but not-light. And of course, with the Fierce Deity Mask on, he started to remind me of Link wielding the Master Sword, but better.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Honestly, if it comes to music, I actually like what FE Warriors did with the music more than Hyrule Warriors did with the music because they toned down the buttrock a bit. The FEW soundtrack on the whole sounded more varied to me than Hyrule Warriors's did and it was great!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I also don't remember Link and Young Link steamrolling enemies with a literal choo choo train

Incidentally, will I have to scan amiibos if I want the spinner/other special weapons in the definitive edition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skX8a3fwec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzi7UobHpAg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2xyd3Pi4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtsRwoofEc
I mean don't get me wrong, the buttrock version of Id Purpose and the like is fantastic, but just listen to how shameless HW's music is, it's perfect

No, but then again, the choo choo train is not part of Toon Link's sword moveset, is it? (Or being his primary weapon for that matter.)

No. The Spinner as well as any other secondary weapon with the likely exception of secondary weapons that were unlocked as part of the Story Mode (i.e. Magic Rod and Spear) is unlocked through the Adventure Maps this time around, like in Legends.

I agree, HW's music is pretty fantastic, but Fire Emblem Warriors's music hit the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of how buttrocky they were. Just enough to get me all on-board, but not enough that it strangled the other instruments. Which led to the themes' instruments being more varied, and because of that, let me enjoy the tunes more.

Or to put it in another way, I felt that the buttrock in FEW's themes complemented the other instruments, enhancing the whole, instead of dominating them like HW's buttrock usually did, and that just made it so much better to me. (It also meant that when they went full-on with the buttrock, it helped the songs stand out more.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I really want Hyness to be a Dream Friend:

https://twitter.com/Fruib_/status/994384924881903617

https://twitter.com/Fruib_/status/994385166717083648

https://twitter.com/Fruib_/status/994385328705335296

His facial expressions are great! :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

^burtle posted:

Having not played Hyrule Warriors previously, are all the characters available at launch? What is the main treadmill, leveling up weapons and costumes?

The Wii U Base Cast (Link, Impa, Sheik, Lana, Zelda, Ganondorf, Darunia, Ruto, Agitha, Midna, Zant, Fi, and Ghirahim) as well as the Koei Trio (Cia, Volga, and Wizzro) and Linkle are awailable at the beginning.
The rest are unlocked in the Adventure Mode Maps. Twili Midna, Young Link, Tingle, and Skull Kid are unlocked in the original Adventure Map, Toon Link, Tetra, King Daphnes, and Medli are unlocked on the Great Sea Map, Marin is unlocked on the Koholint Map, Toon Zelda is unlocked on the Grand Travels Map, and Ravio and Yuga are unlocked on the Lorule Map. Tetra and King Daphnes can also be unlocked through Story Mode.
Initially, the main draw is beating Story Mode to get sub-items and the weapons hidden there, but eventually, you'll come back for the Adventure Mode where you explore an 8-Bit Map trying to locate the Dark Ruler Mission of the Map and get rewards like costumes and weapons along the way. Completing the Dark Mission beats the map, though you can go back to it to replay missions and get items you missed at the point you left it. In postgame, it's basically trying to get the strongest weapons you can get and completing the Skulltula illustrations to unlock tough missions based on those illustrations (and fiddling around with Challenge Mode).

WilliamAnderson posted:

Terrible opinions in this thread. At least it has more variety than FE Warriors.

Unfortunately, I find that the "variety" isn't saving it from being worse than either HW or FEW.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 11, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

^burtle posted:

Awesome, thanks for the write up.

Oh, and you get every Adventure Map right at the start of this iteration so you'll be able to unlock some characters relatively early (Toon Link, Tetra, King Daphnes, and Medli are barred from you until you get the Hammer sub-item so you can deal with the Giant Boss that requires it, which is in the ending chapters of Story Mode so you might as well unlock Tetra and the King through Story Mode anyways).

Oh, and if you had bought any other iteration of Hyrule Warriors, you would have needed to grind Item Cards to unlock certain rewards or new pathways in the Adventure Maps, but this one includes an Item Card Shop where you can buy Item Cards with Rupees so you don't have to wait for the Item Cards to refresh anymore.

Oh, and for "All Attacks Are Devastating!" Challenge Missions, remember that the Bow sub-item is your best friend, killing those pesky enemies you need to target in one hit before they kill you in two hits. You are out of luck on the Master Quest Map's "Don't Get Hit!" missions though. :shepicide: (Great Sea Map and Master Wind Waker's "Don't Get Hit!" limitations can be removed.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Speaking of Sonic, saw some Sonic Utopia gameplay footage recently and I'm kinda bummed that that isn't how Sonic in a 3D game plays. (And that a Sonic game like that will never be on the Switch.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Try as I can fire emblem warriors just can’t captivate me as much as hyrule warriors did despite the more complex gameplay. It’s probably that at times it’s too unnecessarily complex, the characters are too immensely unlikeable and that despite the big cast there's only like 11 different playstyles while hw has like over 30

That's fine. I myself find it to be reasonably engaging, with a likeable cast and mostly high-quality playstyles.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

How long is the story mode in hyrule warriors?

About 32 scenarios long, divided into 18 Main Story Scenarios (divided into 4 Prologue, 2 OoT, 2 Twilight Princess, 2 Skyward Sword, 3 Endgame, 3 Ganondorf, and 2 Grand Finale Scenarios), 5 Cia Scenarios and 5 Linkle Scenarios that happen concurrently with the main story, and 4 Wind Waker Scenarios that continue and serve as a new conclusion to the story after the Main Story ends.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I was team Mario-Bowser-Peach because Mallow and Geno were bad and ugly characters.

:same:

Actually, Bowser was pretty much my favorite party member of the SMRPG cast. I loved his weapons and spells.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Is no one else hyped for Wizard of Legend? I don't know much about it, but the trailer has me excited.

It looks rather neat. Might get it actually: It'd be cool if I could build a Lightning/Earth specialized Wizard.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Final two octopath traveler protagonists plus they finally explain the structure of the game, sounds like you choose one character to start as and recruit the other 7 but can play anyone's story once they're in your party so you can do all 8 in a single playthrough.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/996389738796998656?s=09

:swoon:

Cant' help but get very excited for modern Seiken Densetsu 3! (Or as close as it's going to be anyways.)

The characters I'm planning to start with are the Scholar and the Apothecary.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm gonna start with the scholar guy I think. I'm a sucker for mage dudes and he seems cool.

:same: Magic or scientisty doctor-like dudes are some of my favorites to play as.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Spreaking of Warriors games, the controls in One Piece Pirate Warriors is kinda frustrating to me after coming from Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors. As it is, it's definitely enjoyable, but I would peg it as worse than the Nintendo franchise Warriors games.

(I do like that the final boss from the game's side mode is playable from the beginning in this version though, having someone I can use as a "gently caress this" button from the start helps with the grinding.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

yeah something about the joint attack system and controls always threw me too. that and the plot being completely incomprehensible and annoying not knowing the anime at all

I actually got the hang of the joint attack system rather quickly. It's mostly how irresponsible the controls feel when I'm moving the characters that throws me off: The time it takes for the character to respond to my control stick movements feels bad and laggy, and the camera does not help matters (I've had times when the camera somehow loving readjusts itself so that I end up going the complete opposite way of where I'm intending to go). I'm also not very fond of the targeting system in this game in comparison to HW/FEW

On the other hand, I do find it easier to control them in this version due to the fact that I'm not stuck with a loving Playstation controller this time around.

Otherwise, being able to use Shanks for Free Mode/Dream Log stuff right at the start owns. Especially selecting them for the Dream Log when you start out so they're not barred from participating until you clear the final mission which in my case is barring Luffy from being used until I do so which is a good sacrifice. Between them and Law (and Fujitora later on), I'm well on my way to clearing the Dream Log (only need to unlock Dracule Mihawk, Kizaru, Akainu, and Doflamingo, having obtained Gecko Moria, Magellan, Fujitora, Whitebeard, and Blackbeard before I'm even starting on Chapter 2 of East Blue on the Story Mode and only needing Gold Coins to fully upgrade the stats of Law and Shanks to the max).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Tae posted:

I don't understand how you think One Piece controls worse than FEW/Hyrule unless you don't realize you can literally use the dodge button to cancel the animation of any move. Some of the characters require dodge-cancelling.

I already know that.

Unfortunately, something about this game's version of dodging rubs me the wrong way. Especially when I'm doing dodge-to-dashes where it sometimes takes slightly longer for me to get into a dash.

(The game's version of targeting enemies is also notably worse which combined with the wonky camera also doesn't help matters.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

abraxas posted:

Dumb HW + Amiibo question. After it unlocked for me last night in Euroland, I fired it up and literally the first thing I did was look up which amiibos unlocked the Spinner weapon and do that. Like before even starting anything or getting to the main menu, they give you the option. What happened was I got a.... sword? I certainly didn't get the Spinner and then of course it gave me the whole "you've already gotten your reward from this amiibo for today!" stuff. I'm gonna assume I can just unlock it through normal gameplay anyway but is it not supposed to unlock right at the start? Is it tied to story progress or something? Just seems weird that they'd have quite a bunch of specific amiibos tied to unlocking that weapon and then not giving it to me. I tried like four of them :mad:

The Spinner was changed into being an Adventure Mode unlockable from Legends onwards.

Specifically, you find it on the OG Adventure Map (AKA the easiest map). I'm fairly certain it's on the part of the map that is unlocked by clearing the Twilight Princess part of Legend Mode so do that then battle your way to it's square and get it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

For the people getting HW DE, a list of HW DE Weapon Unlocks since people might want to know (you find the weapons in DE in pretty much the same maps that you find them in Legends):

Legend Mode: Rank 2 Hylian Sword (Link), Rank 2 Giant Blade (Impa), Rank 2 Goddess Harp (Sheik), Rank 2 Book of Sorcery (Lana), Rank 2 Rapier (Zelda), Rank 2 Crossbow (Linkle), Rank 2 Cutlass (Tetra), Rank 2 Sail (King Daphnes), Rank 1 Magic Rod (Link), Rank 1 Spear (Lana), Master Sword (Link)

Adventure Map: Rank 1 Gauntlets (Link), Rank 1 Great Fairy (Link), Rank 1 Epona (Link), Rank 1 Spinner (Link), Rank 1 Naginata (Impa), Rank 1 Summoning Gate (Lana), Rank 1 Baton (Zelda), Rank 1 Dominion Rod (Zelda), Rank 1 Trident (Ganondorf)

Great Sea Map: Rank 2 Magic Rod (Link), Rank 2 Gauntlets (Link), Rank 2 Great Fairy (Link), Rank 2 Epona (Link), Rank 2 Spinner (Link), Rank 2 Naginata (Impa), Rank 2 Spear (Lana), Rank 2 Summoning Gate (Lana), Rank 2 Baton (Zelda), Rank 2 Dominion Rod (Zelda), Rank 2 Great Sword (Ganondorf), Rank 2 Trident (Ganondorf), Rank 2 Hammer (Darunia), Rank 2 Zora Scale (Ruto), Rank 2 Shackle (Midna), Rank 2 Parasol (Agitha), Rank 2 Scimitar (Zant), Rank 2 Goddess Blade (Fi), Rank 2 Demon Blade (Ghirahim), Rank 2 Scepter (Cia), Rank 2 Dragon Spear (Volga), Rank 2 Ring (Wizzro), Rank 2 Mirror (Twili Midna), Rank 2 Mask (Young Link), Rank 2 Balloon (Tingle), Rank 2 Ocarina (Skull Kid), Rank 2 Light Sword (Toon Link)

Master Quest Map: Rank 3 Weapons belonging to all characters except Linkle's Boots, Toon Link's Sand Wand, and the Legends DLC Characters' weapons (AKA Medli, Marin, Toon Zelda, Ravio, and Yuga)

Twilight Map: Rank 4 Hylian Sword (Link), Rank 4 Magic Rod (Link), Rank 4 Gauntlets (Link), Rank 4 Spinner (Link), Rank 4 Giant Blade (Impa), Rank 4 Book of Sorcery (Lana), Rank 4 Spear (Lana), Rank 4 Rapier (Zelda), Rank 4 Great Sword (Ganondorf), Rank 4 Shackle (Midna), Rank 4 Parasol (Agitha), Rank 4 Scimitar (Zant), Rank 4 Balloon (Tingle), Rank 4 Crossbow (Linkle), Rank 4 Light Sword (Toon Link), Rank 4 Cutlass (Tetra), Rank 4 Sail (King Daphnes)

Termina Map: Rank 4 Great Fairy (Link), Rank 4 Epona (Link), Rank 4 Naginata (Impa), Rank 4 Goddess Harp (Sheik), Rank 4 Summoning Gate (Lana), Rank 4 Baton (Zelda), Rank 4 Dominion Rod (Zelda), Rank 4 Trident (Ganondorf), Rank 4 Hammer (Darunia), Rank 4 Zora Scale (Ruto), Rank 4 Goddess Blade (Fi), Rank 4 Demon Blade (Ghirahim), Rank 4 Scepter (Cia), Rank 4 Dragon Spear (Volga), Rank 4 Ring (Wizzro), Rank 4 Mirror (Twili Midna), Rank 4 Mask (Young Link), Rank 4 Ocarina (Skull Kid)

Master Wind Waker Map: Rank 2-4, 4+ Rito Harp (Medli)

Koholint Map: Rank 2-4, 4+ Bell (Marin), Rank 1-4, 4+ Boots (Linkle), Rank 4+ Gauntlets (Link), Rank 4+ Goddess Harp (Sheik), Rank 4+ Summoning Gate (Lana), Rank 4+ Hammer (Darunia), Rank 4+ Zora Scale (Ruto), Rank 4+ Shackle (Midna), Rank 4+ Parasol (Agitha), Rank 4+ Goddess Blade (Fi), Rank 4+ Mask (Young Link), Rank 4+ Ocarina (Skull Kid), Rank 4+ Cutlass (Tetra), Rank 4+ Sail (King Daphnes)

Grand Travels Map:Rank 2-4, 4+ Phantom Arms (Toon Zelda), Rank 1-4, 4+ Sand Wand (Toon Link), Rank 4+ Magic Rod (Link), Rank 4+ Naginata (Impa), Rank 4+ Spear (Lana), Rank 4+ Baton (Zelda), Rank 4+ Trident (Ganondorf), Rank 4+ Scimitar (Zant), Rank 4+ Demon Blade (Ghirahim), Rank 4+ Scepter (Cia), Rank 4+ Dragon Spear (Volga), Rank 4+ Ring (Wizzro), Rank 4+ Mirror (Twili Midna), Rank 4+ Balloon (Tingle)

Lorule Map: Rank 2-4, 4+ Rental Hammer (Ravio), Rank 2-4, 4+ Picture Frame (Yuga), Rank 4+ Hylian Sword (Link), Rank 4+ Great Fairy (Link), Rank 4+ Epona (Link), Rank 4+ Spinner (Link), Rank 4+ Giant Blade (Impa), Rank 4+ Book of Sorcery (Lana), Rank 4+ Rapier (Zelda), Rank 4+ Dominion Rod (Zelda), Rank 4+ Great Sword (Ganondorf), Rank 4+ Crossbow (Linkle), Rank 4+ Light Sword (Toon Link)

You'll note that the maps, especially the HW Legends DLC Maps, have a pattern to them in terms of what weapons you find where.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

My biggest complaint about Hyrule Warriors is that Linkle and Lana have yet to get their own games.

e: Actually, did they add indicators for the element system so you're not blindly attacking things that might take almost no damage?

No,enemies still have their elemental weaknesses though (since there's no elemental strengths in this game). As usual, most character enemies are weak to either Light or Dark element while captain enemies are usually weak against Fire, Water, or Lightning, and characters under the player's control have no weaknesses.

If you want, I can post the weakness list for enemies later on today.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

The real problem is when you have very strict time requirements and you're forced to, say, fight Volga while using a Fire-type weapon or Wizzro with Ghirahim. There's no real indicator for how to deal with that, and even though there's an entire set of defense upgrades to increasing resistances, there's no open explanation for what works best, resulting in trial-and-error and grinding. I'm wondering if they rebalanced this for DE.

With FEW, you have both the weapon triangle and class strengths/weaknesses, and you at least get arrows to say "This is very effective" or "This archer is going to murder your Pegasus Knight. Do not."

There's no resistances to elements. They all do the same damage against enemies except for when the enemy's weakness is to that element in which case it does more. Hitting Volga with a Fire attack would do the same damage as a Lightning, Light, or Dark attack of equal power. Only attacks from Water-type weapons would deal different damage, and it'd be increased damage because Volga has a weakness to Water attacks.

Also, even if a weapon has multiple elements, the damage it does will still be of the damage of the element the weapon is associated with. So all of Sheik's attacks will do extra damage against enemies weak against Lightning because Goddess Harp is a Lightning-type weapon.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Raserys posted:

Congratulations to those of us who skipped the 3ds version :smug:

Frankly, I only wish I had skipped the Wii U version.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Yugo, Ravio, Marin and Toon Zelda are still stupid late since they're stuck on some of the harder Adventure maps.

Everything else has been smoothed out a lot though. Like you start with all the characters from original Hyrule Warriors unlocked so you can rock Gannondorf in Adventure mode right away.

About that:

Since all the Adventure Maps are unlocked at the start of the battle, the Legends DLC maps still have the early missions be easy for your characters. Thus, Marin, Toon Zelda, and Ravio can still be gotten relatively early, and if you're daredevil enough, you can attempt to bruteforce your way through the missions if you're only looking for the bronze rewards since the game asks you if you want to attempt the mission anyways despite lacking the sub-item needed for the giant boss.

Also, a correction to my list of where to get which weapons: Linkle's Boots can be gotten in the OG Adventure Map (likely because you start with Linkle in this game) and Medli's Lv. 4+ weapon is not on the MWW map.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah but the base difficulties of those maps is pretty high. You're going to have completed a significant chunk of the earlier maps just to get the levels and weapons you need to get there.

No you don't. Here's some evidence for you:

https://twitter.com/Folt99/status/997545396153995264

Literally only did two Adventure Mode squares so far and Ravio is now mine.

It probably does help that actually doing the objectives in Ravio's mission and killing the Advanced Healers that show up when they're done means you can kill Dodongo the standard way, go around to collect Magic to fill your meter, then use some Special attacks on Gohma and kill him with a Dark element user (Ganondorf fully charged C1 -> C3 -> normal attacks until break or Wizzro with badges filled out to get his C4 to spam on Gohma's WPG works wonders for this), even without badges that makes enemies take more WPG damage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

RatHat posted:

Any particularily good or bad characters in Hyrule Warriors or should I just try to upgrade at least 1 character of each element?

If you're just starting out, Hylian Sword is fairly decent to use. Both of Ganondorf's weapons as well as Volga are also really good to start with and Ganondorf's Great Swords and Volga are among the top 5 characters/weapons in the game. Also, if you're starting out, Sheik has a shield move that really helps in the beginning of the game which makes her particularly excellent for beginners.

As for particularly bad characters, Tetra is among the bottom five, as is Fi. The Great Fairy is also a really bad weapon but the character who uses it has other, better weapons so eh. Sand Wand is also rather bad, but it's very fun anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Turns out, when you know the game and what works, like me, you can get a decent way into the game without the requisite items. Or perhaps Velezark prepared me for battling Giant Bosses without sub-items...

Either way, I now have Toon Link and am about to get Medli soon, after which I have everything I need to have to get Yuga. I'm not even finished with the Prologue chapters yet.

Also, it appears the materials you need to unlock character badges have been rearranged a little. Ravio requires Monster Horn materials in this game whereas that wasn't the case in Legends.

• Locked thread