Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

deadly_pudding posted:

Ideally, the control scheme would be updated so you don't need the old controller or other extra hardware? This would be like a "port" of a classic PC game requiring you to dig out and install your ancient 16-bit soundblaster from the 90s, or else it hard-locks your machine.

C'mon dude this comparison is loving silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pichupal posted:

I'm still sad America never got the Chibi-Robo New Play Control. I miss the actual Chibi-Robo games a lot.

People are going to remember Chibi as that weird eshop photo game and bleh platformer with an Amiibo.

I wish they had instead just done a 3DS remake of the Gamecube one, and maybe also the DS sequel where Jenny is an adult that they never localized for some reason.

I also wish Chibi-Robo was a playable character in Smash Bros.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The whole idea for that setup is fascinating though. Like, someone came up with that hilariously convoluted setup for online chat and matchmaking, and several other people looked at it and saw nothing wrong with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

You guys who manage to get Spla2n, tell me how it is compared to the first one because I'm afraid I'll get it and not love it as much as the original with the difference in form factor, and also when the first splatfest is so I can try to find a Switch before then, and also a Switch because those seem to be hard to find at non-scalper prices.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was for Club Nintendo which shut down 2 years ago. Your CN points are lost. There's a new thing now with coins.

The new coins expire after 6 months, as well.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

The motion control are real good and worth getting used to

How do the motion controls work when you presumably either have to move your head along with the screen if you're playing it in handheld mode, and can't move it at all if it's docked?
Did they include an accelerometer in the pro controller this time and/or can you move the joycons around for the same effect?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

Switch with neon Joy-Cons now in stock for Prime members.

They've been "in stock" for a while, the listings are from scalpers at $100 markup.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Balls.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Manticore posted:

Looks like bestbuy.com has both gray and neon in stock right now.

Got a Switch, Splatwon, and Puyo Puyo Tetris coming my way sometime in the next week oh god oh god oh god

Controllers aren't covered by GCU anymore though, boo. Guess I will have to get a Pro one from Amazon and use my reward bucks there.

Has anyone tried these things? Do they make the joycons any more comfortable to use?
https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Jo...o%2Bswitch&th=1

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

more controller questions:

Should I hold out for this? on the one hand it's wired and I haven't had a wired controller since the PS2, on the other hand it's half the price of the official. But Hori is supposed to be the quality third party manufacturer, right?
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...+pro+controller

edit: No motion control, never mind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're concerned about hand size or whatever, just get the official Pro Controller. It's nice and comfortable (I got the Splatoon-themed one today myself) and the buttons are much bigger than on the JoyCons.

I probably will either way, my kids will likely be using the joycons more than I do but their hands are probably small enough that it won't be an issue anytime soon. I'm actually more concerned with them breaking them or losing them in the couch or something.

Gunder posted:

Nintendo is so backwards. They make fantastic games, which is pretty hard to do, but mightily gently caress up their voice chat functionality, which should be way easier to do.

I mean, I guess doing it this way does mean I can just use the bluetooth earbuds I already use for voice chat, so that's cool. And if I give it some thought, offloading that functionality onto separate hardware isn't really a bad idea, unless you're one of those people that does all their regular gaming wearing headphones to listen to game audio.
To me, it's the part where putting matchmaking exclusively on a remote app just seems so weird. It would seem less weird if you could still do the same thing on your game screen, I think. And it would also be pretty cool if they used this concept to add optional second screen functionality to games, but that would probably require too much effort.

Why don't any consoles just let you connect a bluetooth device for audio, anyway? Is it expensive to license? I would think not, since you can get it in a lovely $10 phone nowadays, but I'm probably wrong.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't really care if the 4th player in Mario Kart has no rumble

You're the kind of monster that gives your friends MadCatz controllers, aren't you.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I assume this is the part where you tell me that I am oblivious to the fact that they do have it on xbone and/or ps4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

frodnonnag posted:

Lol at nintendo games never getting a price break.

There's literally a price break on one of the games in your picture

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

Raddits you piece of poo poo he said Nintendo games as in first party. that's a lego game. Ugh you're the knex of posters.

Super Mario 3D World is a lego game?

also, lmao, what is your deal you angry baby bitch
it brings joy to my heart when people I don't recognize and whose opinions I don't give a poo poo about come out of the woodwork all madpostin' so thanks for that I guess

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dude789 posted:

Super Mario 3D world would be perfect for every game system till the end of time.

The only bad thing about Super Mario 3D World is that eventually there are no more extra worlds.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SM 3D World had a permanent price adjustment to $20, Nintendo Select is basically "everyone already has this" or a game that has numerous sequels competing with it at full price

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

I'm aware of that, but if that doesn't qualify as a price cut I'm not sure what does. Are you talking about stores putting them on sale or something? Because I see old lovely games nobody would want at full msrp all the time for all consoles.

Sorry if I'm not following what point you're trying to make.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 23, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

How do people already have 100% video walkthroughs for Splatoon 2 on Youtube?

The game has been out for 48 hours, and people on the internet are what they are.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

If a smartphone makes me 'only' human now, then how do I become 'more human than human'?

By having every White Zombie album on your smartphone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

People freak out about the adapter image but that ONLY matters if you wanna play in handheld mode while using headphones. Every other usage case just talk to your phone like normal.

Well I mean, it's not like using it in handheld mode with headphones is some weird out-there use case or something, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want a billion wires and connections if you're out somewhere and not at home.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

the superior version of All-Stars that includes Super Mario World with the rad Luigi sprite.

The what now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

iajanus posted:

I enjoy the conversation where people discuss when playing a Switch in public whether the use of over-ear headphones will make any difference to how people are perceiving you.

Playing games on mobile devices?!?! Nobody does THAT in public!!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/Team17Ltd/status/889476360074350593
Apparently that also includes Europe, since NoE retweeted that.

E: The game in question is Overcooked, coming this July 27th.

I wonder what's special about it, if it's just the game with all DLC then I'll just stick with the PC version.

Cojawfee posted:

Will it have online? I want to play that game but I don't have real friends.

That game would be utter hell with latency.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Voxx posted:

Jesus christ

The whine of springs as you press down

The agony of seeing a pale blue screen upon pushing the power button

AM2R was a neat play through and all, but holy cow is this ever some entitled crybaby poo poo.
:qq: HOW DARE THEY SHUT DOWN MY IP INFRINGING CREATION, THOSE SCUMBAGS!! :qq:

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 25, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Switch basically is 'Wii U, take 2', complete with basically being what everyone thought/assumed the Wii U would/should be.

I'm still kinda sad that the dock does nothing on its own which eliminates second screen functionality, because that was really nice when implemented well, especially with asymmetrical multiplayer.
But I'll get over it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

inferis posted:

I encourage all splatoon players to turn off motion controls so I can get more easy kills

A few pages back but :same:
lmao at all the motion control cryposting

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EpicNemesis posted:

Bought some neon red joy cons finally. Now the question is which joy con shell should I purchase, power A or charge grip?

I got Fast Snail, the top ones on Amazon, and they work great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

So overcooked is hella fun with people to yell at it with right?

It really does unleash your inner Gordon Ramsay.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tempura Wizard posted:

Popping in to say Namco Museum is Very Good and worth it if you like arcade games. Definitely worth 30 if you're a fan of the specific games, and 20 if you're just curious.

It's gonna take me a while to stop being angry that they finally remade Pac-Man Vs. for a system that requires two separate consoles to play it, while skipping the previous console for which if there was a singular purpose, it was to play goddamn Pac-Man Vs. :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress yes. Hopefully there's some way that Capcom can detect how many western accounts install this to their Switch and they end up localizing it.

How do you access the japanese eShop from outside of Japan?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Jackbox Party Packs are also on Switch so I'd rather just play Quiplash instead of Quiplash But Worse

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well depends on price. Those are $25. How much is this?

There's apparently a Wii U version and that is $15, so at least that much.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jivjov posted:

And the little meter without the percentage somehow does so without polling the battery?

Yes, because that method just eyeballs how much juice is left in the battery tank and gives you a rough estimate

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jivjov posted:

And this happens without polling the battery?

Yes, like I said your switch just opens up the battery tank and has a look in there, and makes a good estimate for how much battery juice is left. Obviously this uses less power.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jivjov posted:

So it looks at the amount of power without looking at the amount of power. Got it.

You can check the power levels yourself if you drill a hole in the top left corner, right above the touch screen, and shine a pen light in there. That's the best way to tell how much battery is left imo.

Manky posted:

Wouldn't be a consumer electronics thread without it! I heard if you play upside down you get 25% extra battery life because gravity helps the electrons move

You can also "overcharge" the battery if you put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, because the electons get excited and produce more output.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 1, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Tetris part of Puyo Puyo Tetris is practically loving unplayable with the Pro Controller because the d-pad is like an Xbox 360 level of inaccurate will randomly hard drop like 3 pieces in a row and this goddamn game doesn't allow custom button configs in AD 2017

The joycons aren't any better with the separate buttons for the d-pad equivalent, and it all makes me wanna loving die because I just wanna play some goddamn Tetris

How did Nintendo gently caress up the d-pad, why am I in this nightmare timeline

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How can the split joypad be a problem in Tetris? If you're worried about accidentally dropping pieces, that will never happen in the joycon buttons, you just aren't going to accidentally press up.

The joycon buttons just suck for playing the game is all, almost as bad as using the analog stick. Although even there I had a couple of instances where when I wanted to hard drop one piece it would also hard drop the next 1-2. It's bad times either way for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Splatoon 2's bad tick rate + playing against west coast squids at 10:30PM EDT = me hitting a super jumping squid square in the face with my Tri-Slosher but still dying because they had already landed and loaded a clip into my face before I saw them land.

I'm also really starting to get annoyed about losing one v one battles with Areospray users, my N-Zap does more damage, why does this keep happening?

It's the same problems the first game on Wii U had, along with "somehow an enemy Aerospray has longer range than my Splattershot Pro" or "why are my shots going straight through this fucker, who turns around and pops me in one shot" or "why is the enemy able to swim away through enemy ink / ground where there is literally no ink at all"

and yet, I am still playing the poo poo out of this game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Have to have the paint down as they're landing. The only squids who should have a shot at surviving a super jump like that are trisloshers who don't have to aim when they land.

I've definitely had a couple of times where I was shooting directly at where the guy is going to land for a couple seconds before he did, and then I just explode immediately when he lands while he walks away unscathed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's very good but unfortunately the DPad is extremely mushy and bad. Like it didn't know what direction I was pressing in menus in Zelda, for something like fighting games or Tetris it's actually frustrating how bad it is.

Yeah, Puyo Puyo Tetris is practically unplayable with it and it hurts me in my soul.

I've googled around about it and allegedly it's something that only happens with some pro controllers though, and Nintendo will send you a replacement if you ask. Whether that replacement also has the flaw seems to be up in the air.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

The Wii U pro controller's dpad was very good.

All of Nintendo's dpads have been good up until this one, this is some MadCatz level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Switch carts should have been shaped like tiny NES cartridge. Missed opportunity

Famicom carts were shaped differently, and also nothing should ever resemble an NES cart.

• Locked thread