Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Overbite posted:

Pro tip for all you new switch owners: it has terrible on board wifi. Real bad.

Try switching channels to 1 or 11, and maybe to 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz. There are a whole lot of reasons wifi can be lovely, and it's not just the console's fault (mine's been perfectly fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't had a Nintendo handheld since the original Game Boy. I am looking forward to being able to play Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Layton, Picross...

Like the Game Boy I have spent over half the time with the Switch on a Tetris game

Go dump $100 on a 2DS as well then (or, you know, even more money on a 'new' 2/3DS), because the 3DS has some great games too. It even has some classic Gameboy games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twist And Pout! posted:

I'm walking into gamestop to get a switch now solely because a bayonetta 2 re-release was teased. Zelda and Mario are cool too I guess but I'll buy bayonetta as many times as platinum lets me. I'll probably end up using it as the most portable jackbox 3 setup yet though.

But have you preordered one, or both, of the Bayonetta amiibo? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

DS games should just be downloadable through the 3DS. I know there are some obstacles that make this difficult, but if they intend to continue bolstering the importance of the 3DS as a strong handheld, they should do it there. Maybe a future model could do this

The problem is that it's very much a hardware issue and not a software one. Not to mention that changing the hardware architecture to accommodate this could potentially brick random 3DS games. Just look at PS2 Incompatibility page on Wikipedia to get an idea of the obstacle you'd be facing, and that is just from minor hardware revisions. The DS portions of the hardware simply are not designed to address internal memory at all, and the only way they have to get a digital DS game working is by some seriously fudged code to make it look like a DSi download title (the only kind of internal memory a DS operating system CAN address). Which just plain isn't doable for most DS games due to size limits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of Splatoon;

Ausgoons, Target has the current lowest price at $64. No mention of the Pro Controller's price, but that'll probably get $10 knocked off as well. Maybe, if we wish real hard :pray:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

I just don't see how the 3DS could survive. You can spend 200 dollars for this one handheld, or spend 300 on this other handheld that plays big boy games.

The 3DS is very much on the way out by 2018. And even then, the 2018 titles are delayed localizations of existing releases. New titles are already down to a trickle, and there wasn't exactly a big push for it at e3 like in previous years outside of the Metroid 2 remake and a brief off-hand mention of the Sun/Moon variants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blazing Zero posted:

we're getting the opportunity to give nintendo money just like sony and microsoft. be thankful for it

I don't think you get just how expensive and complex proper network infrastructure is. And that's without whatever SLA's the ISP's are bleeding them over. Nintendo's been able to cheap out on it because they had all of two dedicated online games. Pushing through a proper setup with several million active users across different games is a big step up from the halfassed job they did for Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Lawbreakers is just another Battleborn in the making.

Legit had to look up Gearbox Softwares wiki because I had forgotten the name for Battleborn until I wanted to make that snide remarks.

Lawbreakers could theoretically steal some Overwatch players as they've been getting testy recently over Ranked Mode changes, from what I understand, but generally speaking it's going to have to be obscenely loving good to last longer than a month against it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

The issue with trying to compete with Overwatch is that you can only introduce so many features and complexities to a team-based Hero Shooter before it's actually just a MOBA. And then you're competing with League and DOTA, instead.

They're chasing the same cash-fueled dream several-dozen failed MMO's in the late 00's did with WoW's success, without understanding that they're just not going to swing that playerbase because it's already invested in its time-consuming addiction of choice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

I feel like my Kirby avatar is one of the best Kirby avatars on the site.

Well you probably got the idea for it from my thread icon :colbert:.

Poser. :colbert::colbert:

It's a very nice avatar indeed.

You're seeing things :rolleyes:. Christ, I swear, people see Loss in the silliest places...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Quoting myself because I'm a sport.

Ausgoons; our Splatfest time is Sunday July 16th, from 8:00am to 12:00pm AEST

SeANMcBAY posted:

We don't know. Probably not but that would be cool.

Nintendo have stated that nothing gets transferred.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Finally a reason for them to make the junked Arwing amiibo.

I actually looked that up. The reason it doesn't exist is because it's too pointy for Wee Little Timmy and he might poke his eye out. Well at least that's what I assume from "we weren’t able to turn that into a product that could meet safety guidelines for children.”

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

You do realize that if they can't meet that requirement, they can't legally sell it, right?

Oh I'm fully aware of that, just surprised that the Arwing never got made because it's so pointy.

Personally I wish it'd gotten the Xenoblade X treatment and had Nintendo rope Kotobukiya into making a snap-build kit of one :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spellman posted:

The wings are also quite jagged

The problem is the Arwing is all long sharp edges, so you can kinda see where the poking concerns come from.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

The song that plays during the character creation of the splatoon 2 demo sounds exactly like a theme song from a kid's show

You'd swear blind the music for Splatoon's single-player levels was done by the guy responsible for the soundtrack of Rugrats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zelder posted:

does new donk city have a standing army? What kind of economy are we looking at here

Guerilla forces are a constant threat to New Donk City.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Magna Kaser posted:

This is the initial update, just powered it on.

Also I think I just solved it by moving it literally next to the router instead of next to my TV which was maybe 7 feet away with no walls between them. I double checked and it seems like the switch can only connect tot he 2.4GHz network from my router, so that might be the issue. I live in a big apartment complex with 40 zillion different wifi networks and generally things on 2.4 seem to perform perform badly compared to 5.0., my 3DS actually does the same thing.

I might invest in a wired adapter for my dock.

The Switch is indeed 5Ghz-compatible and should be able to connect to your router via that wavelength.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Hello I am Infinitum, and I have an important PSA to make

If you buy Splatoon 2 on a physical cart you are a dumb dumb

Buy multiplayer games digitally, so they always live on your system and you can access them instantaneously.
Buy single player games physically, so you can swap them out whenever.

I will also accept buying games physically if you're not sure how good they're going to be, so that you may trade them in later if they suck.
For example Mario+Rabbids may not be everyones cup of tea.

But Splatoon 2 is a good game.
So buy it digitally.

This has been forum poster Infinitum, thanking you for your time.

Addendum; Except if you're in Australia, because the price difference between physical and digital is obscene.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure if you can find any where you live

Improbable Lobster posted:

All those regions with excess Switches, such as

They are readily available on store shelves in Australia, and I'm still quite surprised the more enterprising independent online retailers haven't tried exporting them to Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

The mental gymnastics people are pulling to defend Nintendo's terrible and inconvenient voice chat "solution" are baffling.

Nintendo's playing the long game with the smartphone app; It's something everyone has in some form or other nowadays, and it's a standardized solution they can apply to every game and platform going forward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That right there is a photo of a man regretting his choice of career and life decisions leading up to that moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, that stuff is fine, and if they want to incorporate the Mario Maker website into the app for Mario Maker Switch (which I'm sure exists at this point and will be announced eventually), then great. but don't tether voice chat to the dang thing. inviting friends or w/e, browsing leaderboards, doing second-screen stuff for games, that's what an app should be for

The reason voice chat is part of the app is quite probably because you're already holding a thing with a microphone built into it. One of the biggest no-sells of getting voice chat going in multiplayer is "oh, I don't have a mic :effort:".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, just a reminder that Target and Big W both have Splatoon 2 for $64AU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StabMasterArson posted:

so being real is this going to be another Wii U with like 1 or 2 games worth a poo poo per year. its already gathering its first inch of dust

Every month this year since the Switch released has at least one major quality title launching in it. They're all listed in the OP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

PS4 didn't have any games for 18 months so by my estimation Nintendo is winning.

There's also some pretty content-heavy titles in that lineup too, so even if Nintendo has to coast for a month or two after December it's not like you'll run out of poo poo to do in Breath of the Wild, Mario+Rabbids, Super Mario Odyssey, or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 anytime soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StabMasterArson posted:

im not gonna buy street fighter 2 for $60 out of desperation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every month this year since the Switch released has had at least one major quality title launching in it*. They're all listed in the OP.

*And Street Fighter 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

if the N64 controller copyright means an N64 Classic is in the pipeline, I can't begin to imagine how they'd pad out 20 games.

The problem being that not only are many of the Rare games off the table, but what I'd argue are superior releases of certain games (Ocarina, Majora, Star Fox) are on 3DS anyway and many games like Yoshi Story, Kirby 64, and Mario Tennis just flat out aren't that great or are inferior to the sequels.

I'd rather have a GBA or even a GBC classic tbh.

Sin and Punishment would definitely be on it as their "never released here" piece like with Star Fox 2, along with probably Mischief Makers as they're both Treasure games. And quite possibly the only way anyone could get Mischief Makers to actually work in emulated/VC form.

Off the top my head;
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Stadium 1&2
  • Mario Party 1/2/3.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Rare games are off the table. If Nintendo can work with Square and Konami for third party games on the other ones they can work with Microsoft.

They've never done it before but they have a good relationship through Minecraft and they never used FX chip emulation before now either, and are releasing unreleased games. Don't discount the possibility.

Even without Rare, 20 games is doable.

Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Castlevania(the second edition one I forget the subtitle, legacy of shadow or something)
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi's Story(not great but they're probably putting it in)
Sin and Punishment
Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
Mischeif Makers
Waverace
1080 Snowboarding or Snowboard Kids
Bomberman 64
Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
Mega Man Legends(known as 64 in the port)
Bangai-o
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon Snap

These are all games without licensing issues from companies friendly towards Nintendo.

Microsoft considers their rare IPs worthless to where they sell most of them in a package for $20, so if they decide they'd like some sweet licensing money you could toss in Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark (though maybe not since it's M), Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Banjo Kazooie and Tooie.

Without those it's still doable and I'm sure there's some suitable titles I've forgotten. What I wonder is, since an N64 controller is so huge, if maybe they could just fit the whole guts in there without making the console portion.

Rare Replay is one of the few XBOne exclusives that actually sells well. There is zero chance they'd let the N64 titles go to compete against it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

Microsoft put out a Diddy Kong Racing game and a Viva Pinata game on the DS. It's highly unlikely but not impossible. Don't ever expect Goldeneye though.

Someone's forgetting that the DS version of DKR lacks both Conker and Banjo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bowmore posted:

what's the easiest way to play Splatoon? or do I just have to practice the combination motion aim with buttons on the pro controller?

You can switch to regular dual-stick controls in the options menu if you prefer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

more controller questions:

Should I hold out for this? on the one hand it's wired and I haven't had a wired controller since the PS2, on the other hand it's half the price of the official. But Hori is supposed to be the quality third party manufacturer, right?
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...+pro+controller

edit: No motion control, never mind.

If you're concerned about hand size or whatever, just get the official Pro Controller. It's nice and comfortable (I got the Splatoon-themed one today myself) and the buttons are much bigger than on the JoyCons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

splatoon 2 is great and i love the new maps

:suezo:

I kinda think they should've padded the initial map count with a few more classics from the first game because the rotations occur every two hours instead of four, but the new ones are just great across the board.

Why they put Moray Towers in the launch lineup, or kept it at all, is beyond me though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I got to level 5 in splatoon 2. the art academy level is cool but no one really knows it yet because the final tally % of the matches i was in on that map didn't reach 85%

also it's amazing how many players don't hide in the ink, they just sort of play the game like a very slow TF2 instead, running into the fray guns blazing

Even with the Dualies, no less.

Takoluka posted:

Splatoon split-screen would be an atrocious experience, and I can't figure out why anyone would want it.

The simple hard truth about split-screen Splatoon is the hardware can't handle it. All that ink has to be dynamically rendered four times over, and it's not exactly a light load on the processor to start with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

Half of their games for this year are Wii U rereleases though.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fair few more WiiU ports trickle out over the next year and beyond. Platinum's already been teasing Bayonetta and maybe Wonderful 101.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

What are the rules of splatoon rainmaker mode?

Get the Rainmaker, slam it down onto the enemy's base at the far end of the map. If you can't manage it by the end of the match, whichever team got closer to slamming it down at the other team's base wins.

Real hurthling! posted:

Does paint cover count?

Turf painted means nothing in Ranked Matches, aside from feeding your Special. Aside from Splat Zones, of course.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Software is a big thing too, generally early adopters/fans will pick up a console at launch. As more system seller games get released, sales will pick up again. I'd say a lot of WiiU owners waited since BOTW, MK8 and to a lesser extent Splatoon 2 probably weren't reason enough to pick up a Switch when they had those games (or earlier iterations) on the WiiU. Super Mario Odyssey is likely to bring those people in, among others. Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2, also.

Also there's a fair few people probably waiting for a decent-sized library in general to justify the buy-in on a Switch. Christmas purchases aside, I'd expect to see a decent uptick early next year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Ken posted:

How many original characters do you draw in a day?

No, that's Sonic Forces :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spit on my clit posted:

i've come down with a bad case of ARMS. i'd like a new case of arms, please. double blorbs if you have them

Megawatts and Revolvers are where it's at :supaburn:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frankston posted:

Well maybe you shouldn't be slamming the switch into the dock as hard as you can you loving IMBECILE :smug:

If you don't palm-slam it into the dock every morning, how can you start doing the moves in ARMS afterwards then? Tell me that, smart-rear end! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you only buy digital you can never lick the carts. Clearly missing out on a Switch feature

I'd like to remind the thread that when Splatoon 2 came out there was several pages of "The eShop is hosed because everyone's trying to download it, what do?! :f5:"

• Locked thread