Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I finally got myself one of these terrible toy consoles for children. Is there any particular audio-jack-to-bluetooth adapter y'all might recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're talking about Nago, that's just a cameo for Cleaning Kirby's dash attack.

I just want Rick back. Giant hamster power gogogogo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a friend who was obsessed (like really obsessed) with trophies and platinums on PlayStation. He got totally burnt out on video games for a while because he was playing games he hated for trophies or because they had easy platinums and he was putting down games he liked because they didn't have platinums or he had already gotten them.

You know what fixed his burnout? He bought a switch, and with no trophies or cheevos he can just play games he likes because he likes playing them, rather than feeling enslaved to trophies.

The cheevo effect is real, friends.

MY CHEEVOS!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Miiverse was the only form of social media that I enjoyed using. It worked so well because the posts were sorted based on the game they were about, so you could expect your post to be read by people who know what the game is and who share your interest in it. No Facebook problem of having to explain a high-context joke to your mom, no Twitter problem of putting your video games shitposts alongside your politics shitposts.

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Puyo vs Tetris is seriously infuriating. For anyone who can't instantly place all blocks by feel and arrange perfect T-spins every time, anyone even moderately experienced on the Puyo side can dump garbage on you so fast that you're guaranteed to lose.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Steamworld Dig 2 is a good game and you should play it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Mods please embed this, to autoplay on repeat, on every page for the next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkWYP95WbbY

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Luigi Blazkowicz, "Terror Weegee"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The real switch news is Uno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Happy Octodad Day, when are we getting an Octodad Amiibo?

The amiibo should be unbalanced, so you have to position it very carefully or it will fall over.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I've got my son a Switch and the new Mario game for xmas, which is also his birthday - he will be 8 and loves all things Nintendo / fun times in general.
I am going to get Mario Kart and the Rabbids thingy, I think Zelda won't be for him so am I missing anything else that is essential? Christmas is depending on you goons.

Overcooked (eshop only) is great for multiplayer. Get 4 people and it immediately turns into everyone laughing as they yell over each other.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Bethesda should buy out the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod and some of the other mods it interlinks with, clean it all up a little, and release it as official DLC.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Moving on though, has anyone played this game?

Looking for something to play with my brother-in-law during turkey day that doesn't burn casual players much with its difficulty.

Overcooked is excellent. It's about coordination with the other people you're playing with, not control difficulty—the only actual controls are "move, carry/drop, prepare ingredient", but the stages gently caress with you by moving stations around, having NPCs constantly walking through the middle of the kitchen area getting in your way, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Amppelix posted:

This statement is delightfully absurd. I know Dark Souls, despite being a japanese RPG, isn't really a JRPG as such, but come on.

Also can we please stop using "the dark souls of X" it's the worst possible way of saying "this game is hard"

How about "the Battletoads of X" instead

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlayVus posted:

Has anybody had their switch restart from overheating from playing SMO? Maybe it was because I was charging the battery all the way from 2% but my switch reset on me while playing SMO in the desert level in handheld mode.

Do you have the dock stuck somewhere with no ventilation at all?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The field of USB-C accessories is filled with tons of nonfunctional poo poo, even from major well-known companies. The only way to be sure you'll get anything that always works is to get something reviewed by that one Google engineer who breaks it down to electrical testing of individual pins.

For example, last year Anker released a cable that could literally fry the motherboard of anything you plugged it into under the right conditions.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 30, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

It's been said a lot ITT but USB C is apparently still a bit of a minefield before anyone starts getting off brand stuff. It's just weird, usually we can blame Nintendo for that that and this time it's not totally their fault.

To reiterate again, so many companies have hosed up USB-C products that the only safe third-party USB-C products are ones that have been in-depth electrically tested. Right now the only companies I'd trust even for first-party USB-C products are Nintendo, Apple, and Google.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rolo posted:

What about just a cheap cord with an apple brick? I have cheap C cords I got from work but the cheap bricks they come with go in the trash.

When it comes to USB-C, there are cheap cords from several companies that will literally set your devices on fire under the right (wrong) circumstances.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
it would truly be the Dark Souls of Switch games

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dark Souls for breakfast!?!?

Dark Souls in the morning, Dark Souls in the evening, Dark Souls at supper time

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Now I want to see the Dragonborn in Smash.

Taunt: The Dragonborn eats a sweetroll, healing 1%.

Final Smash: Using Wabbajack, the Dragonborn summons a waterfall of cheese wheels to push opponents off the stage.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TAKE ME DOWN TO THE PARADISE CITY WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN AND

I still can't listen to that song anymore after hearing that same goddamn 30-second clip over and over and over every time the game started.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Breath of the Wild needs a third DLC that just adds alternate dialogue trees to everyone when you wear the Gerudo womens' outfit.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I gave Pinball FX 3 and Stern Pinball Arcade a try, and both have the basic issue of only having terrible perspective views and constantly moving cameras that make it hard as hell to actually keep track of the ball, on top of all the tables being incredibly busy. They also both have the extremely obvious oversight of not having a rotate function, so you're staring at a screen that's either 1/3rd of the table or 1/3rd table and 2/3rds background.

What I'm saying is, Nintendo should just do a remake of Pokemon Pinball with the same top down view and some dumb little stand that holds the Switch screen in a tall instead of wide view.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I'm not majorly impressed. It's not really trying to be Smash, but it's so similar that it's screwing with my expectations. I'm finding the controls a bit tricky, too. Smash attacks and the air game are a lot more precise and I'm not a fan of how tough recovery is, even it it does speed things up.

For me there's a couple of key issues with it:

- Almost every character moves way too fast for the tiny stages available. You will kill yourself repeatedly by just running off the stage edge before you get used to the controls.

- All the immediately available characters are "different variations on animal-people, and also two random cameos".

- Online multiplayer constantly has connection issues even if you're on an excellent connection.

- Online multiplayer is limited to 1v1 on flat boring stages.

- The Drifter is just leagues better than every other character in most ways. No cooldown on the side dash, everything cancels into everything else, huge reach, etc.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
After further attempts to play Brawlout, I've decided that the online experience is lovely enough that nobody should buy it until they fix their netcode. When I can play janky crap like PUBG fine, but literally every single game of Brawlout turns into lag and the red wifi symbol halfway through, something's screwed up.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Feenix posted:

It does that in digital, too.

I got a refund. gently caress that tiny text. Also I guess it was just the straw that broke the “meh” equilibrium.

How'd you get a refund? I want to do the same for Brawlout, I've had all of maybe three attempted games where the online connection didn't start lagging/dropping in the middle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Little Inferno is a cute little puzzle game.

I played that for maybe five minutes, went "wait, this is it?" and stopped and never went back to it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Overcooked is really lacking for an online multiplayer mode. It's a game that would be perfect for simple multiplayer and voice chat.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Does nobody in the industry compress anything anymore?

Correct.

For example, look at the Fallout 4 mods that improve game performance by literally just taking the vanilla textures and recompressing them better, with literally no visual change in the result.

This is giving me a real "Battle Royale, except with tightropes" vibe.

Apparently it's based on a manga.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 27, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I don't want to be gated. I want to just run and climb on things. I don't find that aspect fun, it feels restrictive.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Unironically just give Link a double-jump in the next one, double-jumps are always fun and good

Double-jump and a hookshot.

Put in some true 3D dungeons, Odyssey style but even crazier.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
announcing the Nintendo Switch XL, the New Nintendo Switch XL, and the New Nintendo Switch XL U

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mega64 posted:

This is stupid but in a good way.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm sure some of these also have to be a test run for implementing joycon accessories that you stick the existing joycons into, like the fishing rod and the steering wheel.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yes, fully grown adults want to make a 13 key piano and use a rubberband powered robot suit

True adults aren't afraid to go on the teacups ride.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder if there'll be any kind of Labo stuff for the upcoming Yoshi game

Various future Switch games including random cardboard peripherals to put together would be :perfect:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd actually expect the robot game to have a sizeable amount of content, because it is expensive at $120AUD.

Yeesh, that's like a 20% markup over a direct exchange rate conversion from MURICA prices.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
BotW weapon durability sucks because it's so absurdly low that it turns juggling weapons into a chore you have to do after every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Beastie posted:

Everyone gets one last gen game to remaster and port to Switch. Size of the file is irrelevant.

Go!

Undertale, duh.

CRAYON posted:

I think that the Nintendo Switch needs TCGs. Gimme em all. Hearthstone, Pokemon, Shadowverse, Eternal, etc etc.

I want a remaster of Pokémon Trading Card Game on the Game Boy.

Also, Pokemon Pinball.

• Locked thread