Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Policenaut posted:

I'm playing Elite Dangerous right now and it uses all four corners to do various functions (cycling through weapon subsystems, bringing up various ship menus). Games like Witcher 3 also use the various swipe directions to bring up various menus instead of having to fumble around the terrible console UI. It's entirely possible that Lawbreakers is some kind of sperg as gently caress arena FPS with a lot of button commands and they just shoved a bunch into the touchpad controls I guess?
Considering that the devs themselves tweeted out about the controllers actually having the same amount of buttons, I doubt that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont have zelda digital. so no, i still wont fill it up

you might, but not me
Sorry you don't like games very much.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

mrEkli posted:

I remember reading from Digital Foundry, I think, that System Memory loads the fastest. Experimenting a bit, I found a good method to split my downloads between System and SD. I really hope they make this possible in the OS instead of using this method.

Any game you start downloading a destination will finish on that destination. So reboot without the SD in to install on System. Put it back in when the download is started/ done and it'll ask you if you wanna restart to use the SD. I like that both storages can be run from.
Congratulations on spending 5 minutes to save 6 seconds.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

checksin posted:

i went to the walmart here and the only thing they had in the switch section was mario kart wii for $79.83
:canada:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I logged onto my Nintendo Switch and looked for any cool new indie eshop games released in the past week or two and came up empty handed yet again.

Please let me buy a video game for this thing.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Infinitum posted:

I'm torn between smashing out Splatoon 2 single-player mode once it's out, or heading straight into multiplayer and getting my roller on
u bitch

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Well, reviews are in and it looks like the Summer of Nintendo is a wet fart. Sad, maybe the Switch could be saved with Nindies? Too bad there aren't any, just shovelware now. Botw and MK8DX had me on top of the world and now I feel like I'm just sitting down in on antarctica. Sad.
:yeah:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
To be fair talking on the phone makes sense, and as long as the application doesn't use the mic it SHOULD be able to continue the voice connection. Discord does it just fine so even if that's not the way it currently works they could certainly change it once people complain.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

wuggles posted:

Fascinating! Is there any way to play on a big screen in a nice chair without lag?
Get a CRT.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-FD-Trinitron-WEGA-KD-34XBR960-34-1080i-CRT-Television/48209866

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot HD CRTs are a thing. Are they worth it? Most of them seem to be a decade+ old.
You'd absolutely have to find one local. I have the one I linked (don't look at the price, the thing is worth like $200 tops), and it's a 300lb beast. If you can find one local though they're great for retro gaming, but I wouldn't get too excited about playing anything modern on them cause they're incredibly blurry when it comes to small text/details compared to an LCD/LED.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

lmfao it's 15 loving minutes long

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

eonwe posted:

lol I just heard you basically have to have that dumb multi wire setup to hear both game chat & voip through the headset

no thanks, ill just use discord. ill launch it to buy some equipment
Why would Discord be any different? You still need to route both audio from your Switch and your phone into your headset...

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

eonwe posted:

because discord didnt make a console and expect me to rig a bunch of poo poo together to talk to people online
But you still have to rig a bunch of poo poo together for it to work. So you're just not using the app out of spite then I guess? Seems like a rational response.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Couldn't you just buy it in the morning before you go do whatever it is that you're doing?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

DLC Inc posted:

if the N64 controller copyright means an N64 Classic is in the pipeline, I can't begin to imagine how they'd pad out 20 games.

The problem being that not only are many of the Rare games off the table, but what I'd argue are superior releases of certain games (Ocarina, Majora, Star Fox) are on 3DS anyway and many games like Yoshi Story, Kirby 64, and Mario Tennis just flat out aren't that great or are inferior to the sequels.

I'd rather have a GBA or even a GBC classic tbh.
Yoshi Story is good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

s.i.r.e. posted:

What if the only thing you're doing for the day is playing said game?
:mindblow:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

deadly_pudding posted:

Functioning in sleep mode will never happen, unless they work out a deal directly with apple. iOS is really strict about what it allows to run in the background or with the screen off, and in both of those cases the answer is "media playback" for pretty much all cases.

Maybe on Android.
This hasn't been true for like 5 years.

https://developer.apple.com/library...dExecution.html

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I bought it but then errored out of the eShop. :shobon:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

GoldfishStew posted:

Buy physical.
I can't wait to spend all these gold MyNintendo coins.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Soul Glo posted:

I would rather just shut it off
Why? Don't do this. Don't be that weirdo.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Heran Bago posted:

Just saw this picture on how the voice chat accessory for Splatoon 2 works.

Hilarious.
How else would you expect it to work?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No idea. You can turn off motion controls in the city hub by pressing X and it makes the game 400% better.
normie spotted

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
ps the phone app is good. it owns even.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Seriously though the integration with all the various Splatoon data is really sleek and I never would have thought of or expected them to go that far with it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

InFlames235 posted:

It'd be cool to have the integrated app for all that data as long as we could just connect straight to the Switch to do the actual voice chatting piece. The whole adapter and 5,000 cables thing to do that is the ultimate lame part.
People freak out about the adapter image but that ONLY matters if you wanna play in handheld mode while using headphones. Every other usage case just talk to your phone like normal.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

raditts posted:

Well I mean, it's not like using it in handheld mode with headphones is some weird out-there use case or something, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want a billion wires and connections if you're out somewhere and not at home.
Handheld mode while using headphones and playing online with voice chat is indeed an edge case scenario.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Tender Bender posted:

Or if you have it docked in a regular living room that doesn't have aux cords taped down on the floor or whatever.

People don't like this because 1) The forced smartphone integration is annoying, especially since the phone needs to be unlocked with the screen on, and 2) The potential convenience added by the smartphone integration isn't apparent, and in what would be a normal use case you still need the "bulky gamer headset" with a bunch of wires that Nintendo claimed this would avoid.
Why are you using a headset in your living room? Use your phone like a normal person.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm sure everyone will love to hear your game over the mic in that case.
That's not how voice technology works these days.

Honest question: Has anyone complaining about how lovely the phone app is actually used it for voice chat during a game? It certainly doesn't feel like it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I played some Splatoon 2 hours ago and put my Switch in sleep mode. But I came back and found an error screen on the Switch while still in dock. I rebooted it as the screen said and now it's stuck on the boot screen no matter what I do. I guess I'll be contacting Nintendo repair tomorrow :sigh:
Hold the power button for like 2 minutes.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

murked by dragon posted:

i want to play all of the games; on the Switch
Yes.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Fedule posted:

I want to buy a capacitive stylus for Switch use (read: Splatoon use). Anything I should know before jumping straight on Amazon and buying the first recommend thing?
Just go buy one from Wal-Mart or something.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It really is insulting and outright hateful feeling that they release with such an amazing game and then... nothing? It's been months Nintendo, you can't ride the goodwill botw bought you forever. Time to pay the piper, and the piper is ready for Stardew.
Lol if you think Stardew on the Switch is gonna be a great game.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

a7m2 posted:

it's already a great game. doubt that'll change on the switch (especially since theyre adding multiplayer)
The PS4 port's controller support is bad and I doubt they'll change it now. The game was designed around kb/mouse. I mean it's still a great game on the surface but it's meant to be played on a PC.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I played about 70 hours of it on PC with a 360 controller and it was totally fine?
Goondolences.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

jokes posted:

Should I get another "Joy-Con"? Oh it's $90. Weird. Maybe I'll just buy 3 full size NYKO controllers instead?
jokes

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

a7m2 posted:

It's fine with a controller on the PC. I love just sitting back on the couch to play it.
The fact that the first 40 hours of the game is basically a ticking clock that you have to complete a bunch of stuff during I was always struggling to min/max my time and efficiency. If I were doing a second play though I might be fine with casual controller style, but first time through I always felt like I had to be quick.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I can actually, and will, do Stardew on the Switch. In fact... when can I?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cartoon Man posted:

https://youtu.be/aJ7zR-M7ICw

GOT loving Y

Get your poo poo together Nintendo and release GOTY right the gently caress now!

:thinking:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
The only golf game you should be excited about is that one that has RPG elements and kinda looks like an amped up Mario Golf: Advance Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Generally when I'm really into Splatoon I'll lean forward and rest my arms/elbows on my legs/knees and then do all the aiming with my wrists.

• Locked thread