Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pakistani politics posted:

When the heck is Enter the Gungeon coming out? Did I miss it? I also wanna get Elliot Quest but I'm looking for something more bite-size in the mean time. Axiom Verge, too, eventually.

Get Picross, the ultimate in bite sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oryp posted:

Hey everyone, I have been considering getting a Switch for a bit now, probably taking the dive soon. I was wondering about all of the available accessories though, if you can help me out. I will probably use this 80+% in docked/console mode, and I am particularly wondering about controllers needed for 2 player co-op.

At least initially I am looking at: Splatoon2, Mario Kart, and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Mario Kart looks like I only need one pair of joycon to make that work, but are those cheap steering wheels a good addition?

For those, and just general use, is a second set of joycon or a pro controller a better investment? Anything else I should be strongly considering?

Get a screen protector, like this one

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempe...protector&psc=1

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Heist is fantastic. Never played a Saga game but you can't go wrong with Heist. It's 2D so a bit different than rabbids but still turn based strategy. I've played through it like 3X now, it is super fun.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Argue posted:

Any good horror games?

How about any good (doesn't have to be horror) 20-40 hour games that aren't the famous ones we all know about? Already finished Steamworld Dig 2 and Heist.

I'm not very far into it so I don't know if I'd call it a horror game, but Darkest Dungeon has one of the most oppressive, gloomy atmospheres I've come across in a game. Each run is tense as hell as you watch your guys deteriorate via the stress mechanic and/or just plain hp damage.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should have waited and released Metroid Prime Federation Force on Switch.

Federation Force was unfairly maligned and is a fantastic game, as long as you have someone else to play with you. A friend and I went through the entire campaign, getting all the medals, and it was a blast. If they made a sequel on the switch (lol not going to happen), I'd buy it day one.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. I liked what I played. I was hoping it would drop to $20 as fast as Triforce Heroes so I could buy my friends copies but it never happened.

I was looking at Triforce Heroes for our next game, but apparently you can't play 2 players. You can play 1 player, or 3 players, but not 2. WTF

Takoluka posted:

I've actually been pretty curious about MPFF. I'm not really into MP; is FF worth it in spite of that?

I would not want to play the game alone. The controls and play are just like Metroid Prime. However, you are in mechs, so you kind of stomp along slowly. You still lock on like in Prime. We played with our circle pad pros (nice to have a game that actually uses it); I'm not interested in trying the game without one and losing right stick analog look.

Through the game, you find mod chips that allow you to customize your mech, which was fun (I constantly used +missle damage and +power shot damage). The alternate weapons are pretty useful. At one point we were stuck on a boss and were cursing up a storm until we tried a different weapon, after which we grudgingly admitted the game gives you what you need to succeed.

The missions are fairly varied. In some cases it's not apparent what to do, and you eat poo poo for a while, but nothing was insurmountable. There was a stage we failed a couple times and I was getting irate and called it the worst mission of the game...a few attempts later, and once we discovered how to approach it, the stage became one of my favorites. That was a real sense of satisfaction to figure out what to do and pull it off.

My buddy and I had a ton of fun, but going it alone would've been a real slog. If you care about getting all the medals, there will be several stages where you replay over and over and OVER until you get it. Getting enough medals unlocks more slots for your mods, but you unlock all of those at 19/55 medals, so pretty early. After that medals only unlock more paint jobs which are cosmetic...EXCEPT for amiibo paint jobs, so if you have metroid amiibos, you should be able to get something. I used a samus amiibo and got a paint job that gave me 10x the missles per pickup, that came in handy let me tell you.

I don't know if this has told you enough about the game, but again, my friend and I had a lot of fun with it. Just avoid blast ball, it's pretty lame.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spikeguy posted:

Picked up the console for my daughter's birthday. Any game recommendations? Already got Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda. Also, are there ever any sales because it seems like Nintendo games never go down in price.

How old is your daughter?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Captain Toad is a great slow paced, chill out, stop and smell the roses kind of game. I've recently gone back to it to try and 100% it and am having a blast. Sometimes the camera is awful but it's not insurmountable.

Once funny quirk is that if you have a Toad amiibo, a mini pixel Toad will hide in the stage, and you need to find him and touch him on the Wiiu gamepad. When you are near his location, he chirps out this high pitched version of Captain Toad's signature, uh, sing song grunt thing he does. But the pixel Toad does it like 2 octaves higher, making it one of the most shrill, grating things ever, and when you're closer to finding him, he does it louder and faster. It is both brain piercing, and hilarious because jesus christ Nintendo.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

I know it's just a port but I'm very excited to own Tropical Freeze again and play through it anew. I haven't played it since the window of its original release with my girlfriend, so it'll be nice to revisit and play once more now that we're married (and get twice as pissed with each other)

This is heartwarming as gently caress :)

Looking forward to the post where you say "Can't wait to play Tropical Freeze on the Nintendo Switch U with DLC junior"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If nintendo waits till the very end to announce their games then where the heck is Metroid Prime 4???

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the story in Steamworld Dig remotely interesting or should you just play it for the gameplay and nothing else?

There really isn't much of a story, but the characters are charming and there is a lore to it all. Like if you play Dig, Dig 2, and Heist, there is a definite chronology and you can link events. One interesting connection between Heist and Dig 2 is the DLC character from Heist is your sidekick buddy in Dig 2.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What odds do you guys put on Switch getting an EDF game?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The first time I played X6, I selected a stage at random and played through until I found a hidden Dr. Light capsule off the beaten path. I got some upgrade and was like hey cool. Then I realized I didn't have the ability required to leave the hidden area and had to commit suicide in a pit to get out.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Axiom Verge really that bad? I got the jones for some metroidvania and Hollow Knight isn’t out yet

Mummy demastered isn't too bad. The bosses are easy but I enjoyed playing through it. Doubt I'll ever play through it again but overall i liked it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I love this thread :) One of the best on the forums!

Have the Splatfest results been published yet? I’m curious to see which team will win - I was playing on Team Mikey last night but the opposing teams were really good

Donnie won overall, but Mikey had popularity. There's a splatoon thread too!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

What I really want to see announced is a collection of Sting's Heaven Dept. games. That would really sate my hunger for SRPGs.

This would be loving awesome but I think sting themselves have forgotten dept heaven :(

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In Mario tennis what's the point of taunting while the other player serves? Also what is Luigi's reaction to losing a match? In the n64 version he was DEVESTATED.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ah, I see, thanks!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Tropical Freeze's music is really strange. When I'm playing the game, I think eh this music is adequate, I guess. But then hours later I catch myself running a song non-stop through my head. Or I wake up with the music in my head. Just rocking the gently caress out.

The music...is good!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So far I'm enjoying hollow knight, but I'm not head over heels for it like some people. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the sound and feel of combat is really crunchy/scratchy and, I don't know...chitinous? It really sells the "we are bugs" aspect.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder why there's a splatfest the weekend tennis gets released?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Samus would beat the loving poo poo out of master chief, I hope he makes it to smash so it can be proven over and over

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hollow knight is a good game, good enough that if youre interested in metroidvanias, it's a no brainer that you should try it. I have some complaints about it but overall it is very good.

But oh man, I don't think it would be a good game to recommend as someone's first metroidvania. I stopped myself from making that recommendation to someone. Probably go with zero mission as a person's first metroidvania?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finally got through hollow knight path of pain. not even an achievement, huh?

Now I just need to do the final fight. not looking forward to radiance, I have a hard enough time against hollow knight, and that guy doesn't even want to freaking win

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

Yeah Super Metroid is lacking a certain polish that later SNES games consistently achieved. Nothing major but enough for some people to consider it "janky"

If Nintendo keeps the pattern, super Metroid should be the next one they remake!

(in like 10 years).

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hollow knight is also super melancholy. Like you might get bummed out playing it, I did a few times. Steamworld dig 2 is one of those games that has pretty dark implications but it's also got a much brighter atmosphere.

For what it's worth.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Campin' Ted is also on 3ds, for those trying to decide if they should pick it up

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that turns the headlamp off and on depending on if it’s actually a dark level or not?:ohdear:

I think your lamp reveals the hidden coins and golden mushroom sprouts in stages, you should leave it on unless there's a reason to turn it off

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Donkey Kong tropical freeze
Captain toad

That is my running list of games I own on wiiu, and have gone back to upon their re-release on switch.

Hey Nintendo, thanks for helping me out with my backlog, suckers!!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Axiom Verge, worth it?

It starts out good and has a pretty cool atmosphere, but by the midway point I started running out of steam. I pushed on to the end knowing I'd never play it again. I'm glad I did play it once, though.

The soundtrack is very good btw.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Here's a tip for you Capped 'n' Towed players. If you spin the analog stick, Campin' Ted will spin around, get dizzy, and fall over. But! That is also an attack move and will defeat enemies that are struck by Ted's rucksack.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What's on you guys' eshop wish lists? Mine has:

Neverout - looks like an interesting puzzler, and it's cheap
West of loathing - the thread seems positive towards it
Inside - I liked Limbo
Detention - for the next time I feel like a horror game
Octopath - for the next time I feel like a jrpg

I'm currently working on my wiiu backlog (btw mario world 3d would be loving perfect for switch) so it's nice to have a list of games I want to try when I can get to them

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder how much R&D money labo took, compared to a vidya game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

That depends, do you consider Labo's R&D expenses to be different from the constant R&D Nintendo does?

Good point, I'm sure there's a lot of crossover. Still, I'm sure there's a ledger out there documenting what Nintendo considers labo expenses. I wonder if they hired on new employees for the project. :shrug:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
PSA: smoke and sacrifice got a pretty big qol patch, such as the map telling you what you left in each of the storage boxes and shoes no longer degrade, so you dont get stranded in some hazardous area without ppe. Among many other changes. The volume slider's pretty nice.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there an endless game for this drat console? Like Animal Crossing is endless in that you can always gently caress around in it and still have "things to do". I'm not looking for long, I need endless.

Is stardew valley endless? I've never played it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In the wiiu captain toad, if you want to do the hide and seek game you have to scan the amiibo every drat stage. Why couldn't scanning unlock a menu option or something

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

After playing the Valkyria Chronicles demo, I finally get what Codename STEAM was going for. But whereas that was a slog and riddled with baffling design choices, this was really fun! I'm looking forward to the real game.

Man I really wanted to like codename steam but like you said, baffling choices...it was made by intelligent systems, too, so wtf

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

I hope that Nintendo never improves their online service, so we'll always have a reason to complain about it.

People will complain anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The wiiu was designed to fail, it was a brilliant strategy by Nintendo. They made more money by rereleasing games then they lost in wiiu development. It's genius! The switch successor will be a manufactured failure for the same reason.

• Locked thread