Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I was fortunate enough to dunk my left Joycon into a cup of water and buy a new one so that even if I did have the defect, I don't anymore. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Golden Goat posted:

What indies can folks recommend on the switch?

Is Vaccine any use?

Cave Story+ if you've never played it before.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Takoluka posted:

I played MK8DX 2P tabletop at a recent party, and the guy I played with said he needed a Switch now. The system works!

I've gotten like two people to buy Switches from bringing it to my gf's coffee shop. I need to own stock.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Who's ready for lovely HACKY SACK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVSlDACWsM

That not get the juices flowin'?

Den hows aboots TOTALLY NOT STOLEN SPELUNKY ASSETS: THE GAME?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjxBDFLH88
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm tired of the retraux aesthetic.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Is it just me or is Mighty Gunvolt Burst more responsive in handheld than docked with the pro controller?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

HDTVs usually have 1-4 frames of input lag between what you do in the controller, and what's shown on screen. This is most noticeable in shooters, fighters, and precision platformers.
The screen on the Switch is probably as fast as a monitor (9-17ms, or 0.5-1 frame).

Fascinating! Is there any way to play on a big screen in a nice chair without lag?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Spellman posted:

A good cheap small TV option for low lag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=dislag-20

You can't beat a CRT, but some flat-screens like this one come close

Thanks! This is the first time I've ever noticed it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Pijeus posted:

Anyone who's played Cave Story know if it's possible to ferret out all the secret bits and endings and weapon combinations and such without using a guide? I bought it and got an ending, but it looks like there's more than that to it. I've really enjoyed it, can't believe it's been around this long and i've never played it before.

The game takes pains to make you feel bad about things you could have done differently.

For more specific info, you can hold your instruction manual up to the light if you got the physical copy. It helps but it doesn't magically get you the ending because the good ending lies past some of the most stupid hard platforming/shooting I've ever played.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rexroom posted:

No news as of yet, but Frozenbyte are scheduling the release sometime this year.

Nintendo updated their financial results today. They've sold 4.7 million units of the Switch and 13.6 million units of software till the end of June.

There's also a list of million sellers:
  • The Legend of Zelda: BOTW (3.92 million)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3.53)
  • 1-2-Switch (1.22)
  • ARMS (1.18)

For comparison, the Wii U had lifetime sales of about 13.5m. Question: how do console sales normally trend over time? Do they sell more at launch, or at every Christmas, or what? How many Switches do you think will move Holiday 2017?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I turned the puzzles upside down to cheat them. Eat a dick, motion controls.

the only way

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

treiz01 posted:

gently caress yeah, Rogue Trooper on the Switch!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM2CGr9DSU8

Also, loving lol at the comments: "Nintendo doing graphics comparaisons ??? Is this the real world?"

It took two minutes for them to show any actual gameplay.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

enojy posted:

Whoa, woke my Switch from sleep with the Pro controller resting on my coffee table for the first time. This is a Must Do in line with licking a cartridge.

How? I've never been able to wake up my switch with the pro controller!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I actually meant Persona Q-2. The push to buy a 2DS increases every day

I got a 3DS with Xenoblade and Pikmin and I'm glad I did. There are really a fuckload of games for this thing.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cartoon Man posted:

Yooka Laylee good or bad? I liked Banjo Kazooie (20?) years ago, but I'm not sure I'd like it now...I feel like I may have grown out of the genre. I am excited about the new mario, but that's because it looks insanely awesome.

Way to make me feel old. It's actually 19 years old, but still.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Gumdrop Larry posted:

That happens in like literally every console thread with at least a couple people. They decide because they don't want to play the console right this second that somehow it's burning a hole in their pocket and they ought to flip it and rebuy it when a new game comes down the pipe a month or two later because that totally makes financial sense ok.

That's been me. I never rebought my Wii U though...

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

Feel like I bought the Switch a little early as there's very little out right now but being "in" at the start of the Splatoon online play this go-around was worth it and I've enjoyed having it during trips so far as well.

Same, but I got a 3DS to help with the wait and there's infinity games for that thing. I also just came back to Disgaea and that's going better this time when I only play one board a day. Once school (my job) starts back I won't have time for more than a Disgaea board and a few games of Splatoon a day.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Is it news that the Rayman demo is up on the US eShop?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

rogue wave posted:

The d pad for sure sucks. I'm just saying you can just not press the sides of the buttons in the mean time.

It seems like the Rayman demo can only be downloaded from the link in the news app. You can't search for it on the e-store.

It's a coming release (the Switch eShop is bad)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Castle Rock is so cool. I never played Legends all the way through: are the rest of the boss levels musical?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Tomahawk posted:

so does sonic mania unlock at midnight for US? est?

Mania thread is saying 3-5 am (12-2 pst).

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rexroom posted:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/898186572876599299
Splatoon 2 bundle with the Splatoon coloured Joy-cons available only in Walmart starting September 8th.

Does this mean I can buy the Joy Con now???

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'm cis, but magypsies seem like a relatively benign portrayal of genderfluid people (as opposed to trans people).

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try turning off motion controls on the Bow. You really need to learn to get good with it to progress in BotW for a bunch of reasons.

Disagree. Motion controls in Zelda rock.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like the NSMB (well U mostly) games and I agree. If there has to be another non-Maker 2D game, I hope it's in a pixel artstyle. 2D platformers just don't work as well with 3D models imo.

I think Rayman Legends has the perfect art style for a platformer. I wish they'd do that with Sanic.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've always thought the Rayman art was far too busy and a little grotesque.

Busy, sure. What do you mean by grotesque?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I bought Shovel Knight, which is good.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Why didn't anyone tell me Shovel Knight was gonna make me feel stuff?!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh cool. I didn't know there was a demo. Gonna break in my new 8bitdo controller tonight. :cool:

Oh poo poo! What a good way to break in my bedside Switch mount!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please link me to this.

Tryone Gooseneck Nintendo Switch Mount Holder/ iPad Stand/ Cellphone Stand/ Tablet Mount Holder, Bolt Clamp with Spring Grip for Apple or Android Devices, 30 Inches Overall Length(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUQ33LG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_W-INzbES8FEWH

Haven't tried it out yet. v tired

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Pokken is cool. Definite buy.

That mount I linked earlier is a little short for my bed, but still cool.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Bleck posted:

Is there a Pokken thread? I will get that game and I will want to have opinions in the right place

And so I can learn to read this:

Ventana posted:

Good thing a Machamp player made top 4 in the World Championship last weekend (and was in grand finals last year as well).

I don't play Machamp yet (I'll probably try to pick him up as a secondary) but in looking at what Azazel does, Machamp relies on using his good armor from the far-ranged CA and b.X in duel phase, good ways to close in space with his j.X in both phases, his Karate Chop in the air which nullifies projectiles and is very useful to close in, and his very strong shield which lasts a long while. He does have tools to get in on the opponent, but they require some kind of read (which is not unique in Grappler/Heavy character design in FGs).

He very much looks like the embodiment of "struggle to make the reads in neutral, great payoff when close in" in a game with strong zoning options. But he can still close in with proper reads (j.X is really really good for this). Needless to say, if you don't enjoy playing that style or enjoy learning to compete with it, maybe don't play that character?

But if it makes you feel better, he's looking to get some nice buffs from the arcade version. His c.X can now be canceled into a roll, which might make it a nice low profile movement tool to help out duel phase even more.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Sam Faust posted:

Here's the old Wii U thread. Not sure if anybody is gonna want to make a new one though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768436

Am I gonna get in trouble for necroing that thread, quoting Switch predictions with Gen 7 Pokemons, and saying "Nice."?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

What dont you understand? The button notation?

Pretty much. And I could look it up, I just wanted to be cheeky.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Ventana posted:

Apologies then, I always thought that notation was straightforward. j, b, and c are Jump/Back/Crouch abbreviated. The rest is just buttons. It's probably easier to read if you played the game and know the limited types of moves.

None necessary. Your post was cool and informative. Can't wait for September 22.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

Black joycons > grey > red/blue > splatoon neon puke colors.

This is a bad opinion

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Golashes posted:

The challenges have you go though remixed stages and do, uhh, challenges. They're actually pretty tough!

This sentence makes me happy. I'm trying to find stores that have broken the street date so I can play this weekend.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I can't find anyone who will sell me this game early :(

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Holy gently caress Gunvolt is fun.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

:great:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I can't even beat the first boss of Gunvolt on hard. I am so bad.

• Locked thread