Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you're in a household with multiple switches (which, given Nintendo's positioning of it as a portable device, will not be uncommon) then it's possible to share game cards whereas downloaded titles are tied to one console only.

Also, where did the terms "digital" and "physical" come from? Couldn't they have used the existing terms "download" and "card/cart/disc"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Norns posted:

Well one is a digital good and the other is a physical good
They're both "digital". There's nothing analog here.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The d-pad on my Pro Controller is solid. I'm hoping Nintendo is replacing them with good ones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

I gotta say, I never realized how much a lack of a proper D-pad can make things awkward. Playing 2D platformers with the direction buttons feels so off to me, that I pretty much resorted to using the analog stick.
The Pro Controller makes 2D platformers much better. I don't know what's up with the D-pad issues--I don't have them.

I'd suggest picking up a Pro Controller at retail and try it out, if you don't have issues with it then great. If you do, return it. If the problem was a manufacturing flaw then the original batches should've cycled through by now. If it's a design flaw that affects every unit with varying degree of user sensitivity, then you'll know whether or not it works for you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

This is what keeps happening to me in blaster master for example. I am not touching Up at all and yet you can see how the game is responding.
Mine does this if I press right but roll towards up, even though my thumb appears to be in the same position. If I firmly press right it works fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Just noticed on Nintendo's page for Sonia Mania there's a "Buy physical" link. Confirmation of the leaks?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

The idea that they made the game load times longer on a system with entirely solid state storage for the sake of just making the file size smaller when it wasn't exactly huge to begin with is amazing.
Discs are cheaper to manufacture than mask ROMs. Also GameCards aren't like old cartridge ROMs where they sit directly on the I/O bus. Their access times can be relatively slow.

Wonder if there was a Nintendo-imposed requirement to keep the game size below 3 GB.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 12, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought 8gb was the smallest card anyway?
8 gigabits, which is 1 gigabyte.

Here's a good article on game card costs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Martytoof posted:

But assuming I'm in for the long haul at least I'll have a good back-log of games to play when I get bored.
The Retro thread will be there for you when you finally get around to those games in 15 years.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bough game cards for everything that's been released that way so far. The only one I regret is Puyo Puyo Tetris since it was more expensive than the eShop and I never play it in a long enough sitting that switching cards is actually a hassle. BoI might be the only other game I might prefer on the eShop, but I got it on sale anyways.

The three main reasons I buy game cards:
  • Amazon Prime 20% off preorders (or purchasing sale/used if I miss it).
  • Ability to lend/borrow or just use on multiple devices.
  • I like collecting stuff a little.
I'm still bummed that physical games don't come with paper manuals, and that Switch games don't even come with the digital manuals that all 3DS games have. It just seems silly to hold onto Switch game cases that have nothing more than tiny ROM cards in them. I guess some of the art is cool, but it's not really redeeming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

b) doesn't make sense to me to put useful information only in the manual when you could just it put it in the game.
They could do both, though.

When I first started playing BotW I was really confused about how saving worked, for example. It took me a while to figure out that it keeps your last manual save and six (?) auto-saves. But I didn't know if auto-saves would clear out your manual saves or how that all worked. That's the kind of thing that instruction manuals explain well but instead I had to Google and find conflicting answers. Of course, the "point" of BotW is you're just supposed to jump in and explore around, and maybe I can understand that, but after playing many generations of Zelda games including LoZ where saving was actually a complicated process that could result in a lost game if done wrong, I want to look up how saving works.

Plus, the idea of just diving into BotW doesn't/won't apply to every Switch game.

Does the Wii U version of BotW have a digital manual? Is it useful?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

Don't you agree it would be better/best if there was an explicit, in-game explanation for how saves work?
That might be a better approach for some (even most) people, but I'm not sure it's always best.

As another example, one thing I often do when starting a new game is look up the controls in the manual. In BotW the controls are displayed on the pause screen, which is great, but buttons are labeled after you need to use them the first time. I get why that kind of dynamic design is really good--it's less likely to overwhelm players. But when I start a game I'm tuned to figure out what the possible controls are, so I'm at least aware of them even if they're not used until later. Like I just assumed the L button was unused until I got my first rune.

Manky posted:

I really think good design should eliminate the need for manuals.
Sure, and BotW gets pretty close to the mark on that. No doubt Mario Odyssey will too. However there's plenty of good games that don't have the best tutorial design but might still have passable documentation since it's at least a workflow that studios are used to.

Some Switch games do come with on-screen manuals but unlike the 3DS (and Wii U although I don't have one) accessing them and their presentation is inconsistent. If manuals aren't going to be a requirement it would've been nice to at least allow games to optionally provide access to one in the home screen +-menu.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 2, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: Axiom Verge, am I crazy for waiting for the cart version? I'm kind of drawn to the indie physical releases.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

blue squares posted:

Should I preorder Mario Odyssey? I dont care about any bonuses, just making sure I can buy it ASAP
Yes, of course. It's 20% off preorder with Amazon Prime or Best Buy GCU discounts. It's also a must-own Switch game, so you're going to get it anyways.

Could you walk into a store on release day and purchase it? Probably, but of all the games coming out this year it's definitely the one that might have supply issues through the holidays.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does Amazon still do the thing where it'll be delivered the day of release?
They do if you preorder early enough. For popular titles it seems they get rolling supply (or maybe they just internally do rolling delivery) and if you preorder late it can take a few days to get it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

acksplode posted:

I was shocked when Samus Returns was announced, I would've thought 3DS would be in maintenance mode the moment Switch was released.
Samus Returns is a bit of a special case. It's a first-party franchise game made by a third-party developer (Mercury Steam) who pitched the concept a few years ago, probably out of genuine interest but also because they had a game engine tailored to the hardware that they used on an earlier Castlevania title.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

People really really don't want to admit the Switch is a handheld and I'm not sure why.
It's not a handheld in the same class as the 3DS. Sure you can use it exclusively undocked, but the unit + joycons is still kind of large and doesn't have the same toss-in-pocket portability.

Between that, and the price, there's definitely a market being served by the 3DS/2DS that the Switch, in its current iteration, isn't going to capture.

My guess is that Nintendo will keep the 3DS/2DS around for another couple of years, maybe only selling refurb units and New 2DS XLs though. After, I would speculate that they'll replace the N2DSXL with a new exclusively-handled Switch model that's compatible with the existing Switch software library, but is smaller, more portable (probably with fixed controls instead of joycons), and half the price.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

acksplode posted:

The Switch's few design compromises are all against the console side of things, the focus was clearly on making a superior handheld, which leaves little room for another handheld in Nintendo's product line that isn't a different model of Switch.
I think Nintendo's goal with the Switch was to leverage their continued success in the handled market towards a single software platform that could be successful in any hardware form or market. This allows them to cater towards whichever market segments they find success in, instead of the Wii U situation of investing their efforts in AAA first-party software for a platform nobody wants to buy.

The first realization of the Switch platform is a hybrid console, which is novel itself, but it doesn't need to be the only version of it. In addition to a cost reduced handheld-only Switch, they could easily make a cost reduced "console only" Switch like the PlayStation TV. Even if such a device were a flop, it's not really a major loss because it won't tank the software platform with it.

It's basically what NEC tried to do with the TG16 and Turbo Express, except mobile technology has finally caught up to consoles enough for it to be cost effective.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Nyko Portable Docking Kit that comes out this month can charge in tabletop mode when the HDMI cable is unplugged.

I'm hoping the build quality is good as it's pretty versatile at $50 when a good switch AC adapter is at least $25.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rolo posted:

I started yesterday and my buddy gave me what seems like good advice:

Do whatever, just don’t do any research.
I got BotW four months ago, and although I haven't had that much time to invest in it, I'm going at an absolute snails pace and still loving it.

I don't think using a guide or reading up on different aspect of it is necessarily a bad thing, but you should explore on your own first. A good compromise is, whenever you go into a new area is to do everything you can on your own first, and then follow up with a guide/map to backtrack to any shrines/quests/whatnot you might've missed. That approach still captures the essence of figuring things out on your own without the nagging feeling that you're missing something (as an example I completely missed the warm doublet before leaving the Great Plateau and only found out by reading a guide for that section afterwards. Plus it's fun to compare notes to figure out how other people solved a puzzle vs. how you did it. I think that's still within the spirit of Zelda as comparing puzzle notes has been an intended part of the gameplay since LoZ.

There's a lot of different mechanics in the game that take some getting used to, like breakable weapons, cooking, how monsters/items respawn, and upgrading hearts/stamina, and in the beginning I think I was too worried about "getting it right" rather than just going through the game. The truth is the game doesn't penalize you much for "screwing up" and you'll eventually figure out your own system, but I still think it's OK to see how others have tackled these mechanics to help figure out what's the best path for you.

As an example, one of the things I knew is that climbing steep peaks is pretty much impossible without stamina upgrades or lots of stamina food, which is one reason why some players recommend focusing on stamina upgrades early, but it seems many peaks in the game have gradual-climb routes if you look closely at the contour lines on the map. Yesterday I was able to scale a peak without any stamina upgrades or food just by finding an optimal route, which was pretty awesome.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TollTheHounds posted:

Has anyone ever successfully swapped SD cards without losing games/data?
Game saves aren't stored on the SD card, for better or worse, so that's not a problem. If you put in a new card you can redownload everything to the new card. If you don't care about the download sizes/times, that's probably the easiest way to do it. Screenshots won't carry over though if you care about that.

Make sure to power off the Switch completely (hold power button, select power options and turn off) before swapping out the SD card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Nintendo really make a console that is completely and entirely about games?
That's been most Nintendo consoles. It's why people complained that the Wii didn't play (video) DVDs when there were much better DVD players on the market.

Also Nintendo has been bitten by security vulnerabilities enough times that they're hesitant to ship non-gaming features. Did anyone use the 3DS audio player except to hack the machine?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingSlime posted:

People absolutely will hack the switch and there in nothing Nintendo can do to stop it, Netflix or not
I don't think Netflix is relevant to it either, but Nintendo is definitely learning from the past generations and minimizing the attack surface. The two things that blew the 3DS wide open were serious crypto implementation flaws (a mainstay of Nintendo hacking since the Wii due to their fully proprietary platforms--maybe they didn't roll their own this time) and many available options for userland exploits.

If you can't load outside content onto the system (saved games, music/media, etc.) then there's fewer opportunities for exploitation. Combined with compelling (or just forced) system upgrades and most units in the wild won't be vulnerable. Even if it's "inevitable" that the system will get hacked, there's definitely things Nintendo can do to delay the timeline or to make exploits sufficiently cumbersome that many people won't bother. It's not all or nothing.

Neito posted:

I mean, didn't they hack the PSP through the loving battery or something before the keys got leaked?
There were PSP firmware exploits before the "battery thing", but the issue was reprogramming the battery's serial number to force the PSP into a service mode, just like the "flash card and magnet thing" forces 3DSes into a service mode. The answer to that is to stop putting obscure but otherwise "easy" to access (with a physical token) service modes on devices that disable all security because those will be found for certain.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takoluka posted:

My frame of reference here is mostly built on how Splatoon eventually became unplayable outside of private settings, because people were hacking 100% coverage onto weapons and teleportation movement.
Even if the Switch isn't broken wide open, people will probably figure out enough about how it works that they'll be able to emulate it, and an emulated Switch is inherently not trustworthy and people can do their cheats that way. There's really nothing that can be done that. Nintendo has to have a strategy to aggressively target online cheating and disincentivize it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

It's obvious they want people to go full digital.
I don't think that's obvious, or necessarily what Nintendo "wants". Nintendo wants to make money (although, frankly that's not always obvious either based on their behavior), and if they think there's a physical market for a particular title then they want to sell to that market.

The reality is that there's still a physical market for games. Not all of Nintendo's audience has the ability to download a 6+ GB game (Walmart still has better penetration than broadband) or to easily purchase an SD card for them.

I think it's clear is that Nintendo wants parity between their first party digital and physical releases. They want the user experience to be consistent between them, even down to the MSRP price. While Nintendo probably makes more profit off a digital sale, they don't want to cannibalize physical sales either since unsold inventory is also a problem, and so long as they are making physical releases they don't want to piss off their retailers.

Someday the market may be digital only, but it will probably come as an industry-wide shift and I'd expect Nintendo to be the holdout player.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 20, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Does the DOOM day-one patch make any noticeable changes aside from multiplayer? I really don't want to deal with this 8 GB poo poo.

Please make multiplayer free DLC next time. Actually, make multiplayer free DLC in the next update.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's with DOOM requiring a force update (refuses to play otherwise if you have an Internet connection) and and an EULA just to play the single player campaign?

I don't care about multiplayer, and so I don't want to download the 8 GB update. I just want to play it as-is on the cart, but the only way to do that is to undock the Switch, put it in Airplane Mode, dock it again, then start DOOM and you still have to agree to the stupid EULA.

It didn't used to be like this. Does Bethesda just suck or is this kind of crap what I should expect going forwards?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rufio posted:

Why is downloading 8gb and clicking yes on a user agreement some kind of roadblock or dealbreaker?
Because it's totally unnecessary.

Every past Nintendo console you could just insert a game and play it. Didn't have to download or agree to poo poo except maybe a system update. So this is a new low.

There were three solutions to the DOOM situation:

1. Make multiplayer free DLC, single-player campaign still gets (small) updates if necessary (like most other Switch games).

2. Make multiplayer part of a day-one patch, but keep the patch optional (like every other Switch game).

3. Make multiplayer part of a required day-one patch that users are forced to download. Also EULA the single player campaign for the hell of it.

Bethesda went with #3, the worst option for the user which was strictly more effort on their part than #2, and #1 wouldn't have been hard at all. It's just lame.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cobalt Viper posted:

Wait so if you buy DOOM physical and never connect your system to the internet are you even able to play it?
Yes, you can play it, but if you start DOOM with the Switch connected to the Internet then it requires you to update. If you start it without an Internet connection then it complains about not having one, but will let you play.

SystemLogoff posted:

You can play single player by hitting no to the update each time you play.
No, so, if you skip the update when you start DOOM it says there's a required update on the title screen and prompts (to install) "Later" or "Restart". If you select "Later" it repeats the prompt in a loop.

The only way I found to play the single-player campaign without updating is to put the Switch in Airplane Mode.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tinkerballz posted:

It is for the better that they postpone physical releases. It should help to avoid "Doom one-day patch" situations.
Patches are complicated. A game can be "done" and QA can be "finished" but still contain bugs. Hopefully those bugs don't seriously break the game and the likelihood of encountering them is diminishingly-low the longer a game is in QA, but still inevitable. So, it's unsurprising that a game will have a day-one bug fix. Even in past generations, games were often updated to patch out bugs for releases in other regions or reprints.

What's annoying is when physical releases are printed with many game-breaking bugs due to insufficient QA time, making them effectively unplayable.

Anyways, I suspect the reason for the delay in Switch physical releases for smaller games is due to Macronix printing shitloads of BOTW, Odyssey, etc., to match the increase in console supply, and smaller publishers are having to wait in line. I think Limited Run Games even said as much.

I'm still waiting for my Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Physical releases of Axiom Verge came out today, and Amazon delivered the copy of the Multiverse Edition (with an art book, poster map, making-of documentary and soundtrack) that I ordered some time ago. It's a bit pricey, but the publisher (BadLand Games) is donating 75% of their profits to a fund for Tom Happ's son's health care.

One weird thing I noticed is that when I pull up the eShop listings from the + menu it errors saying the listing isn't found. I wonder if that means it has a different title ID than the digital version and if it's going to get updates. The cart comes with v1.0.2, although frankly there may not really be much in the way of updates.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The success of Bomberman is what has spurred Konami to have talks about Castlevania games returning to a Nintendo exclusive according to rumors. Remember classic Castlevania games were exclusive to the Nintendo handhelds before they were outsourced to western devs
The Dracula X Chronicles (which included ports of Rondo of Blood and SOTN) came out for PSP.

I guess you could argue that new-release handheld Igarashivanias were "Nintendo exclusives", but that's kind of irrelevant to Konami now that Bloodstained is both non-Konami and multiplatform.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a Pro Controller coming today, and I'm taking my Switch away for the weekend tomorrow... if I use the controller's USB cable with an Anker charger into the dock, this should replicate the power cable it ships with so I can leave that in place, yeah?
What are you trying to do exactly? Charge the Pro Controller while taking the Switch and dock somewhere else? Or are you leaving the dock and just taking the Switch and A/C adapter somewhere else?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope someone makes a breakout cable, or something similar, just so I can put everything I need Switch related into my little carry case and it be enough to use both portable and on a TV without having to take the dock.
Nyko makes a Portable Docking Kit that does what you want for $50, but it's not without issues. For one, it needs a firmware upgrade to resolve sleep issues on the latest Switch firmware. There's also been reports of the dock frying the USB port on Switches. It sounds like Nyko has been pretty good about handling the situation--if it does fry your Switch USB port they'll replace the Switch for you.

That said, I'm concerned about third-party docks/adapters now. The Switch's USB port takes quite a bit of abuse and I'm worried about how it will hold up long-term with anything other than the official dock. Third-party chargers are fine, but the Nyko situation is the best case scenario for third-party docks/breakouts. What happens if the cheap no-name breakout cable on Amazon frys your Switch?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll never understand why some games run better docked and some run better undocked.
Docked performance should be better than undocked, but a lot of games render at a higher resolution when docked which can result in lower framerate. Ideally games would be balanced so that the framerate stays consistent, but some games might not be balanced well and even those that are may have isolated scenes where docked performance is janky.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The pro controller is absolutely worth it if you primarily play with the joycon grip. Joycons themselves just aren't great controllers--the buttons/sticks are too small, they don't have enough heft, and the grip makes everything cramped. They're OK in handheld and detached modes (not that there's other options for those) and they're remarkable devices considering the breadth of play styles the joycons support; but the pro controller is much, much better as a traditional controller.

The pro controller d-pad situation is certainly regrettable. I get it, as the most expensive (base model) controller of the three current-generation consoles, the pro controller should have zero flaws. The d-pad is its one flaw, and while it's a crummy situation the pro controller is still the best controller for most games for people who prefer that play style.

How much the d-pad is a problem really depends on the game. It's bad for a game like Puyo Puyo Tetris where a single unintentional up/down read can result in a piece drop that ruins your game. For 2D platformers it's usually not a problem since an unintentional up/down read might change your aim direction for a few frames but it's a harmless consequence. Aside from Puyo, the other game where I've found it to be problematic is Axiom Verge since you need to hold the d-pad or left stick in the same direction for a second to execute a certain ability and sometimes it's hard to get the pro controller d-pad to read only in one direction for that long, although it's not fatal as you can use the stick for it when needed.

If I were purchasing a pro controller today I'd probably look for an XC2 controller since those, apparently, have fixed d-pads. I'm also hoping that once the fix is more widely available that Nintendo will make it available to existing owners. But I don't regret purchasing a pro controller since it's much better than the joycons for a lot of games (if you prefer that play style).

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 7, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ManSedan posted:

I recently got an SD card and want to move my BotW data to it.
You can move the game/updates/DLC downloads to it, but saved games stay on the console.

ManSedan posted:

If I remove the game from the system and redownload to the card do I lose saves or anything? Is there a better way to do it?
No, but the easiest way to do it is to "archive" the game, which keeps the icon on the home screen. Then select the icon and it will redownload the game/updates/DLC to the SD card.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Noticed Amazon isn't offering the usual 20% discount for the Bayonetta 2 preorder. I'm thinking they might be forced to sell at MSRP in order to honor the Bayonetta 1 download code.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The best case scenario for the Wii U gamepad is for Nintendo to release a Switch app (or system update) that lets it be used as a Wii U gamepad. I don't expect them to do that, but it would be a convenient solution.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I heard recently on a podcast with the guy who made Axiom Verge that XNA is now Monogame and its been ported to PS4 and other platforms. The Xbox One actually didn't support XNA/Monogame until after the PS4>
Sort of. What happened is that Microsoft abandoned XNA and chose not to support it on the Xbox One.

Monogame is reimplementation of XNA that was originally built to port XNA games to OSX, iOS, Android and other non-Microsoft platforms, but became the de-facto successor to XNA after Microsoft dropped it. There's also FNA which is another reimplementation of XNA but doesn't support consoles.

I don't know why Microsoft abandoned XNA. There's probably a story behind it but I figured it was part of Microsoft's general insanity at the time of the Xbox One launch.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

I've never played Mario 64. If I were to play it now what's my best option? I have a Wii U, 3DS, and a raspberry pi with Retro Pi installed.
How Can I Play It?: Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Sunshine

The N64 Virtual Console version on Wii U is the best bet. Just be careful since they also have the DS Virtual Console version which you probably don't want.

• Locked thread