Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Reallllllllly getting tired of people dropping out of Salmon Run matches part way through first round. Bloohooo, you didn't get a "good" weapon, suck it up.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

tap my mountain posted:

I really doubt they're leaving intentionally. You're basically guaranteed to have to use a weapon you don't like at least once a game.

It's entirely possible people just have bad wifi. The weirdness that constantly goes on in the pvp matches does seem to suggest that. Love this game; hate the network.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Edit: wrong thread!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The switch is insanely good and cool, friend

It actually gets pretty hot.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

acksplode posted:

I'm getting on a 10 hour fight tomorrow, and folks, I'm extremely relieved to be an owner of a Switch by Nintendo that I have loaded with a digital library chock full of amazing content. It's a great console, a great time to be alive, and a great time to be a gamer.

Hope you're also an owner of an Anker Powercore, in which case yup, great time to be alive.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

GoldfishStew posted:

Maybe you could try actually engaging with her interests instead of being a half assed partner tho

This is such a mind-blowingly weird avi/post combo, I almost can't process it. Not sure I want to.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mister Facetious posted:

Am I the only one who sees the Peach Rabbid as a male crossdresser with a five o' clock shadow?

Not anymore.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jarogue posted:

So I have a extra Sonic Mania code because I wasn't going to wait for my package to come on Thursday. The first person that can guess my favorite Sonic Team game is that isn't a Sonic game then you can have the code. (one guess per person.)

Burning Rangers (I don't want the code, but it had to be mentioned).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Cripes, I can't believe I'm considering this. Is it like Paper Mario type funny?

It's not funny. Unless you prefer to laugh at things that annoy you.

It's still very fun and sometimes charming.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't forget the Animal Crossing mobile app is still supposedly coming this year

With the success of the Switch, are they still prioritizing mobile development?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Now I'm imagining a Lego musuo.

Omg the bricks flying everywhere. Must have.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I want the bitterness inside me

You post on something awful, friend. The bitterness has been there from the very beginning.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mahoning posted:

Still wrong. Try again.

Please don't, actually.

What a crazy month for games, I'm still not done with Destiny 2, Shadow of War is already amazing, and Mario comes out in two weeks. We need less (good) games crammed into the final months of the year :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the weapon degradation like he did, but the game really started feeling like FarCry: Hyrule after a while.

For me, this is almost the perfect comparison. I'd actually call it "FarCry 2:Hyrule Edition." Really fun game that's close to ruined by samey and re-spawning enemies; also has fantastic grass fire effects. Weapon degradation is basically malaria!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Junkie Disease posted:

Having weapons that broke allowed devs to let me have a taste of sweet, sweet, oh god, the power!
Did you see how big this glowing axe is?
This is gamebreaking awesome. Oh wait I broke it. Better adapt!
As opposed to just getting a higher tier and then staying there forever.

I doubt there's a soul on earth that's played the game and doesn't realize the *why* of it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually, I think FC2 had weapon degradation too. :ironicat:

JFC, you're right; that game had so many forced-gameplay design choices. Still have fond memories of playing it, but remembering the details tends to ruin them.

I really hope Cappy doesn't age and wither super fast when you use him :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The weapon degradation is part of the gameplay loop that makes BotW work. What sticks with you and improves is your gear, which you collect by beating monsters, which steadily also leads to better weapons and makes it more efficient while being forced to replace your weapons incentivizes you to expand your inventory and collect more and more. Weapons lead to drops leads to better gear leads to more survicability leads to getting better weapons etc etc.

Seriously, everyone gets the intention. Varied gameplay, puzzle solving as part of combat, need to constantly scrounge for replacments, yada yada. The problem is....

quote:

It keeps you playing and once the cycle gains momentum it's very addicting.

...this isn't the case for everyone. It certainly is for some people, but for others it's jarring and off-putting, and can partially ruin the feel of the game.

quote:

Honestly, what a sequel would go better than simply replacing the weapon system is introduce an experience system and upgrades to Link himself that makes for more permanent augmentations in strength ability and magic rather than powerful weapons that never go away.

Ironically this would be sort of like Zelda II in relation to its predecessor.

Sure. I'd even suggest there's no need for a weapon upgrade system at all in BoTW.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

PantsBandit posted:

One thing that really impressed me about BotW is how visually stunning it is, despite having to compete with games on much stronger hardware. When you're walking up a hill and the sun starts to rise over the horizon, the whole world comes alive. Bugs flitter around, mist blows lazily, morning dew shines on the grass. It's awesome. Horizon looks really good, Uncharted 4 looks really good, but when I'm looking at them I'm just thinking "these are good graphics" and not "this is a living world".

Horizon may be full of mechanical animals, but it still looks like a living world. I love the way BotW looks, too, but saying Horizon doesn't look "living" is odd.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I hops so too

Are you waiting by their mailbox to steal it?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

a.lo posted:

you don't want to do that with me

Heck, I bet the delivery person just keeps it for themselves.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

[sylvyster styllyne as jydge drydd voyce] I ym the lyw!

The Welsh Cultural Committee would appreciate it if you would stop mocking them.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
drat you all; FEW purchase completed.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Motion controls are still awful only if they have to be reset/re-centered every five minutes.

Currently having Playstation Move "calibration" flashbacks; thanks for the trigger, goons.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Playing Skyrim on this really makes me want to see the Witcher games ported over (because then I might actually finish the second one :cry:).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Real hurthling! posted:

Galgun is an old and well known perv series

Much like the Alabama GOP :rimshot:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is the Switch screen particularly easy to scratch or something? Like way easier than your typical cellphone?

It's plastic, not glass.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kin posted:

Woop, that's my switch arrived and it feels amazing. I never expected the whole handheld to big screen TV thing to feel so magical. It's really like i've just bought 2 consoles.

I can see what people mean about the joycon controller feeling a little uncomfy after a while so i'm probably gonna pick up a pro controller.

Are there any other quality of life things to get?

Other than a carry case, i was thinking along the lines of docks/controller chargers and such.

Also, does it support bluetooth headphones or just a jack variety?

The pro controller (or 8bitdo controller) & glass screen protector is really it, unless you want to splurge on a PD capable battery for long trips and/or a grip of some sort for handheld use. Jack headphones are all it can use.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

FireMrshlBill posted:

- if you do a lot of local multiplayer, i’d get some controller shells for the joycons because those strap slide things that come with it are a pain if you want something with better ZL/ZR buttons on a single joycon. I just keep those slide straps in the travel case as a “just in case thing”.

I quite like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH3VB38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

It also doesn't help that Splatoon's online pvp is laggy as hell.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone use their Switch in handheld mode with a comfort grip of any sort? Like one of these kinds: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Handle-Cover-Absorption/dp/B0773KT5VS
Wondering because the switch isn't real comfortable for me in handheld mode, and for my 3DSXL I had a comfort grip and it helped a bit. Thinking it'll probably be too much of a hassle since the Switch won't fit into the dock with the grip attached, but figured I'd ask if anyone had experience with them.

I use the kind that fits over just the Joycon, since the full case style grips prevent it from docking (and they're a pain to remove).

Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Nin...ds=joycon+grips or https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...DXC0259T15CT60D

Currently using the PDP plastic ones, which aren't quite as comfortable, but stay on more securely.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you playing wireless or with an ethernet adapter?

I don’t understand why people keep saying “buy an Ethernet adapter for your handheld & portable system,” as if it’s a thing that is expected or makes any sense. :confused:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Bloop posted:

Because they're trying to be helpful you toolshed.

Some people have environmental issues that could be mitigated by taking extra steps.

I mean, thanks for offering a solution. It’s obviously an unfortunate Switch issue and not just a problem with Splatoon, but a page of people going “but it’s fine for meeeee because I only play docked with an extra dongle” is a bit annoying, and not exactly what I first think of when I consider people trying to be helpful.

Real hurthling! posted:

If you want to play usf2 online its like mandatory for a decent connection and i assume it will be for the sf anthology in may too cause capcpom suuucks

Yeah, I’ll be skipping online games on the Switch from here on out. Thankfully it’s an awesome portable Mario player.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 10, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Escobarbarian posted:

The Switch has the best WiFi I’ve ever seen in a console. I can play online with no issues or lag in my bedroom despite the router being at the other end of the house. Splatoon itself has issues, largely due to the P2P connection thing, but they’re not the console’s fault.

Well now I'm just confused, then.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Hahahaha, thanks for this. Need someone to repost that ridiculous voice chat setup for the Nintendo app, and this page will be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What does this strange and foreign iconography, which is literally a finger touching the screen of a Nintendo Switch, want me to do?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Point to the screen? Hover my mouse cursor over the screen? :downs:

• Locked thread