Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I have a Switch, now. Thanks, Amazon. Wish I could pull my wife away from Puyo Puyo Tetris to give it a try :v:

On release, I remember hearing some horror stories about console warping in the dock. Checking around online shows stories about it, months old at least. The OP didn't seem to mention it. Still a thing? Also if I've opened up a thread :can: just ignore this question, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Was Setsuna bad? I totally forgot about it until I saw it was a Switch release game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Makes sense and jibes with the reviews of it I'm seeing from release. That's sad, but I'm definitely at a point where I don't want to waste time playing forgettable games.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I buy physical because owning a physical copy makes me more likely to play it and finish it for some dumb reason.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey Amazon is finally shipping me Splatoon.

How's the Splatoon portable vs. big screen experience? Probably going to have the switch in hand more than docked.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The Metroid Prime Wii motion controls are my ideal shooter controls, hope Splatoon is just as good. I liked MP Wii better than KB+M

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Being overleveled for the endgame of Xenoblade was probably my only real regret throughout the entire game, and the optional super tyrants at least gave me some challenge in the postgame

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I wanted to love XCX because the combat was great and the world was huge and beautiful but it severely underdelivered on the big, crazy moments of XC so I'm happy to see the outlandish poo poo in XC2

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still a better character than Tatsu. :colbert:

Going from Riki to Tatsu was a goddamn tragedy

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
L was the worst character in a game full of bad characters. Tora seems... very cool!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
MK8D is the only game that's caused me to wish I had bought a pro controller - something about holding A and tapping R throughout 4 races gives me a hand cramp, regardless of how the joy cons are configured.

I can't get used to the auto-accelerate either

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey stupid question, Amazon appears to have Axiom Verge as a physical cart on Switch being released mid-November. I thought it was a digital-only release on Switch, is it going to be one of those Switch indie games that's getting a boxed release for some reason?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's cool that BotW and Odyssey took completely different paths to get where they are but both games are hugely successful reinventions of their respective series.

E: the Switch owns

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm the insane person who likes Twilight Princess (HD) a lot, thought it did 'Zelda Weird' better than any of the games since Majora

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

THE loving MOON posted:

I liked the little bit that I played of Xenoblade and i played through XCX twice, but something about the gameplay they've shown for XB2 kinda looks... boring to me? I guess I'll probably watch the direct. Theoretically this is a game I should be excited for but right now I'm all about Mario and Warriors and I'm thinking about Doom.

Playing XC1 a 'little bit' but finishing XCX twice is, like, the opposite of everyone else on the planet's experience with those two games.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Metroid Prime 4 had better retain the perfect controls of MP 1-3 Wii aka the best FPS control scheme of all time

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Zore posted:

I'm fairly sure the Switch can't sync with Wiimotes so it'll be a normal FPS with maybe Splatoon-style gyro aiming if they're feeling spicy.

Or they might go back to the Other M control scheme because Nintendo seems like they're due for an insane and easily forseeable misstep. :v:

Yeah I'm hoping for separated joycons with right hand gyro aiming as an option at least.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Giant tits are a proud Xenoblade tradition

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Xenoblades combat is great and its world building is beautiful and I just want to run around killing Tyrants in, like, crazy mushroom forests and shiny oceans, anime be damned.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
One thing I hope XC2 does is actually use all the good music composed for the game. XCX had a ton of great stuff on its soundtrack but *drum hits* *guitar riff* 'uh uh oooOOOooowoo'

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Wait what are the stardew issues? I keep meaning to pick it up even though I own a PC copy

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
If you play Monopoly by the actual 'every unwanted property goes to auction' rules its actually pretty fun

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's interesting how the most common house rules and ignoring the official rules are things that prolong the game even more

Free parking is bullshit

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Deviantart simulator is an accurate representation of Sonic fandom though

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Decades from now archeologists will sift through hundreds of awful Sonic games and find Sonic Mania and it will blow their minds

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Portable Dark Souls on a Nintendo console is so unlikely and hilarious that it's obviously going to happen

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Miiverse captured everything weird and good that the WiiU brought to the table.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I boxed up my WiiU this past weekend. :angel:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Anyone planning on getting Skyrim? I've only been through it once (modded for magic / skill overhaul) as a fighter / mage hybrid, and I know there are a dozen reasons not to play it on Switch but portable Skyrim

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Buy every single physical release for the switch now. And keep doing it. That way, in 20 years, you will have a complete collection and won't have to pay out the rear end for your retro games. Never buy digital unless it is the only way to get it. And buy every single digital only release. Keep storing them on more and more memory cards. Only then will you truly be a switch master.

Hell yeah

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Captain Toad should absolutely get a Switch sequel, that game had such beautifully crafted little levels

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

I really shouldn't, but I kinda want the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition. :staredog:

The artbook in the XCX special edition kicked rear end, I'm absolutely getting the XC2 one

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Switch Terraria will be cool if they let you use the touchscreen in handheld mode. I was bummed that Picross was controller only.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hahaha I officially can't distinguish serious vs. ironyposts about Skyrim spoilers

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh man. That looks very cute and Fantasy Life was so extremely my jam you don't even know! I loved that game!

I have no idea why but Fantasy Life scratched a gaming itch that basically no other game had before (or has since) and so gently caress it I'm buying the cat game

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I'm all for having streaming options on the switch but I wonder what percentage of Nintendo's user base doesn't have another way to stream to TV + a phone or tablet for portable streaming

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I own a Wii U and decent number of games I still would buy some of them again for the Switch, especially now that I've put the Wii U away for the time being.

3D World was a masterpiece and I really want more people to have the chance to play it. It does for SMB3 what Odyssey does for SM64.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hey so Cat Quest is pretty fun. It's very lightweight, but the combat feels great. It's a good choice to pick up and play for an hour, just enough to power through a few sidequests and gain a few levels at a time.

I wouldn't really compare it to Fantasy Life (a comparison made earlier itt). The combat plays more like an early Mana game or maybe Ever Oasis. Lots of dodging in and out of enemy attack range, casting spells / debuffs, and chewing through a bunch of monsters with different attack speeds / patterns.

The quests are entirely forgettable (of the 'go here, fight thing' variety) but the writing isn't terrible and progress is super fast. The loot is mostly randomized, in that completed quests or opened treasure gives you a random piece of equipment from a number of different sets. If you already own the piece, it gets automatically upgraded instead.

Probably worth the 13 bucks, and the portability of the Switch makes it the best platform for the game (compared to PC / PS4).

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Oh and I finally watched the XC2 direct and I can't wait to play my anime bullshit game with incomprehensibly arcane combat. Definitely keeping my special edition preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I can count the number of tracks I liked in XCX on one hand. The worst ones were, unfortunately, the ones you hear the most often: New LA music (yeah, uh, uh) and the flying music for the Skells. The flying Skell music might not have been that bad if the track didn't have like a 30-second long instrumental intro that started over every time you took off in your Skell.

A lot of what was wrong with XCX, soundwise, probably wasn't the composer's fault. The sound direction in general was attrocious. There were vocal tracks during cut-scenes that drowned out the dialog. I'm sure Sawano's pedigree is very impressive, but the dude does not know how to write video game music.

It's crazy to skip around in the full XCX soundtrack on youtube and think 'wait, where were all these great songs?' and I had a full 50+ hours into the game

• Locked thread