Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Imagined posted:

I went digital because I have a 4 year old and those loving carts are itty bitty. Physical isn't cheaper if I have to buy it again. Plus I'm a lazy gently caress who doesn't want to get up and walk over to the TV to switch games.

But the carts are extremely bitter to stop children from eating them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

i wish i remembered what that tasted like :smith:

Like vomit and bleach.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Is that true? I've been doing it wrong all this time!

Yep! Pretty sure it tells you in game at some point during the first one early on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't even know what DMZ means in a device context

Same thing it means everywhere, but the technical is it's a separate network port so all ports are open and it's outside the firewall. So if someone wants to hack your switch and there's a networking exploit and you have it in the DMZ you are getting hacked.

In a corporate network a DMZ usually still has some firewall rules but it's much more open, it's where you put your web servers so people on the internet can access them, but they can't access your internal servers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Yes.

Many home routers are meh and Nintendo doesnt have a great track record. I have a westell fios router that plays nice with everything but i also dont live in a wifi filled apartment either. I told my parents to buy a more pricey router when despite the router being smack in the middle of the house they couldn't really keep a signal 1 floor up. $100 later they have way better coverage in the house, partly by using a 5Ghz signal now. the Switch handles 5Ghz so going that route might help too.

If you are going to spend $100, keep the router they give you if the firewall is decent enough, turn off the wireless and just get a Unifi wireless AP AC lite Supports wireless AC, is an AP and not a router, supports mesh networking and all the other features for only $78. It's intended for small businesses but the UI is friendly enough.

Switch does support wireless AC, I've had it connect at gigabit speeds to my network using one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Splatoon is the first Switch game that I don't like in handheld mode.

I didn't try it during the splatfest but motion games work really well with a handheld and a computer chair in the middle of a room. Maybe some boxes to help turn with your feet but you can spin around pretty easy in most. I was going to try it and suddenly the splatfest was over.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Arbitrary Number posted:

Might need to buy a pro controller.

I love the pro-controller for splattoon 2. I played splattoon 1, and like split controllers (wiimote + nunchuck in the best way to play mario kart wii). I just can't do the split controller thing on the switch with splatoon it all falls apart and making the joy cons into a controller with a piece of plastic is very uncomfortable, the only bad way to play the switch is to make the square controller.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lakbay posted:

People move their entire body for motion controls!? I've been doing it wrong...

If you need to spin in a game it helps a ton, in Splattoon it's mostly subtle movements. It could be a competitive advantage if you can quickly do a 180 by spinning your chair with your feet, then lean back to shoot the guy with the ink jet pack. It might work well but I doubt handheld in a computer chair will be the e-sports meta, it will be big TVs so you can see what is going on.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Playing Splatoon without the map in your hand is really, really weird. Going to need to learn to check it often.

Maybe the app can have it on your phone so you now have to purchase some crazy tangled mess of wires keep the console, pro controller and phone all charged and connected. Also this will let you talk to your friends so you need to tangle your headphones into it, there's no wireless here!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you have the money it's a really good console, Nintendo also doesn't love to drop their prices if they don't have to. I don't see the switch getting a price drop in the next 2 years. The wii's first price drop wasn't for 3 years, and it went from $250 to $200. Switch is the next wii, it's going places.

I honestly love the "feel" of the console the OS is extremely responsive everything just feels right, it's completely natural to just get to a grindy part of a game and lift the console out throw some controllers on it and play handheld while you watch netflix and grind. I really didn't think I'd undock this thing as much as I do.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

I'm gonna buy splatoon 2 on physical, resell it to friends on days it's not in use and buy it back again at full price when I wanna play so that way I'm not letting something sit on the shelf when I'm not using it. I think that is 100% the most logical way to do things.

More changes than a Call of Duty game. With all the wiiU ports I was kind of surprised they didn't just port.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How do you think the Mario + Rabbids cart will taste?

Bitter, but also strangely sweet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

spit on my clit posted:

New Mario and Rabbids DLC: Rabbid Wario and Waluigi! Instead of saying "WAAAAAH", they say "DAAAAAAAH!"

Daahluigi, number one!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

And you people have the audacity to call this game of the year

edit: Bowser has uh... changed up his look a bit for his castle

It's GotY tell me again when you are in post game that it's not GotY.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Walking into the wedding with all of the various worlds' inhabitants with serene wedding music playing while Bowser tries to get a giant ring on Peach is one of the more absurd things I feel like I've seen in a Mario game

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars had a bunch of really absurd stuff going on. Basically any scene with Booster.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

The music that plays during a part of this segment :psyduck: I am blown away right now

I can't wait for your reaction to the stage that unlocks at 250 moons, I think, its the first one, well after the freebee post credits

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mega64 posted:

As for Blade,

I assume you were referring to your Avatar, and wanted it to be there for people with them off.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Well poo poo I think that was literally like every bug it had

I haven't had any crashes but I'm also still on Y1. The save times have been a mass pain though so hopefully they cut them in half at least, and even that would still be a tad long.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

I heard that it's mapped into the globe but not textured or something. It may have been cut content... Nintendo's been advertising DLC pretty far in advance, like prerelease, with stuff like BOTW and Hyrule/FE Warriors so I'd be surprised if we got Odyssey DLC out of nowhere. Delighted, though! Give me like one good new world and then some more moon cubes that add poo poo to old levels (like more koopa freerunning courses) and I'd pay good money

I don't think the Luigi DLC for the Wii U was advertised at all until it came out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Hoo boy Snake Pass. Talk about a game where you have to fight with the controls. The camera isn't great either. Bleh

Also holy cow is having to move left and right like a real snake REALLY irritating. It's a video game please do not make me have to use really annoying controls for simply moving forward just because that's how a real snake would move

You should avoid octodad if you hate games that have unique controls. I haven't played Snake Pass but some games are about having odd controls and mastering them and doing silly things while learning more than playing. Octodad and Surgeon Simulator come to mind as games that are fun because of their awkward controls.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I bought the battery packs for the joycons. While they make it a lot more comfortable for my hands, I wish there was a way to have them linked to make it a single controller.

Oh poo poo that's the charging controller. drat. Well, at least I have portable joycon charging now. And I guess they can still be used sideways for mario kart etc.

Split controller is the superior controller.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

They should see a doctor about it.

There is no need unless it is stuck. I believe pain is the expected response from putting a dock up there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a great part when I was playing through the Walking Dead where everybody's eyeballs disappeared for a scene. They just had vacant flesh colored holes.

Just be glad you weren't playing Morrowind where the exact opposite happens. Hello body with floating eyeballs and no head, how you doing!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

creationist believer posted:

It's billed annually, not monthly. The only thing dumber than setting up a family plan with goons to save $16/year would be joining a goon family plan and not paying to try to cheat someone out of $4/year.

Even more dumb, by being on a family plan and not the owner they owner can lock you out of your account and limit your play time since you are their "child", since that's how it's setup. Nintendo is extremely petty about this poo poo, I'd see them just ban everyone's account (losing all purchased titles) if you attempted to dispute a family account that wasn't an actual family. Nintendo has never done anything right with online.

I'm still shocked they didn't require you to active the accounts on the same device effectively making it in person only or you have to give your password out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

I've always wanted to try bloodborne but tbh the dark souls combat is really not for me, a person who has the reaction time of a sloth

I wouldn't say they are about reaction time at all, it's about learning attack animations. The combat is actually very slow, the people that complain that Dark Souls is too hard try playing it as a game that you need ultra fast reflexes for.

Dark Souls is pretty close to Monster Hunter in terms if needing to prepare and know how all your attack animations work.

DS is faster than Mon Hun, but it's not as fast as most games (and most games give you a massive health bar because you are expected to get hit).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They need to add manuals to the NES games cause some of them I have no idea what the gently caress I’m doing

Bash the 4 buttons you have and see what they do. Usually one will pause the game, the other will do nothing outside of a menu, and the other two are generally Run and Jump/Shoot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

b_d posted:

sometimes you need to hit two buttons at once, like in river city ransom where that’s how you jump

BARF!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

Draw Mario wearing the crown, cowards

He'd turn into Toad.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

lol 2% is like a small fart.

Their stock has been in freefall since the Switch came out, which appears to be mostly because there is a large number of shorts on it. It reversed the freefall shortly after Trump's dick was compared to Toad.

Al Borland Korn posted:

Probably a ton of revenue from the online

This hasn't been reported to investors yet, so it has no effect on the stock. (other than speculation, but traders aren't going to be knowledgeable enough about the industry to speculate on it).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Al Borland Korn posted:

Not officially but there are people who know and analysts who can estimate it based on a bunch of factors

Wall Street is terrible with technology stocks. The general trend on stock news has been cautious with the Switch, they fear another WiiU, and with Nintendo failing with online for so long the general investor consciousnesses seems to be don't touch it. There is also the fear of it being a foreign stock, the current US tariff war is causing a bunch of people to shy away from "risky" stocks.

Basically Nintendo has been on a slump since the failure of the WiiU, and hasn't shown enough to elevate investor's fears of a PS5 coming out and turning the Switch into another WiiU.

I personally think the Switch is closer to a 3DS and will avoid being obsoleted by a PS5 (which likely wont hit until 2020).

I also have a feeling any speculative tech investors are looking at AMD right now. (take a look at the recent history of AMD $9 to $33 in under a year).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes I do all the cat quests and have battled as the cat. I mostly play it as a mindless gathering option while I watch TV though. My cat is a murder machine when I am required to slay a large monster tho.

This just illustrates why MH is so good. There are so many ways to play it! Each weapon (including cats) is a unique and fun time! I've only played LS, HH, and SnS in all those hours!

Try out Gun Lance, I did that for the first time in World and it's the most fun I've had in any Mon Hun, I also tend to do 1 weapon per play through, I'm thinking of doing another World play through at some point, it was really good and with each weapon being so different it'll be just as fresh.

Positioning is super important with the extremely slow speed, Wyvernfire might seem like a trap, but it's really nice if on a sleeping monster, and because of the massive knockback you can use it to get hits in where you have no business getting them. It goes off knocking you out of the way of some massive sweep attack where a jab would have made it impossible to get out of the way in time. I think it's the weapon that's taken me the longest to get the hang of but was by far the most rewarding.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nintendo Switch: horny horned Bowsette

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I hate to say it but I would absolutely buy that game

I assume it'd be like Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, mocking everything the entire time. Nintendo could probably get Square to make a sequel at this point. Done right it would be funny, and allow Nintendo to cash in on this... whatever this stupidity is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

nerd_of_prey posted:

In the demo I noticed in some of cut scenes they had times when the camera would linger on a female characters chest before panning up to their face. Raz who is one of the main 'good 'characters is just a sexist jerk but its just treated like its a personality quirk to laugh at, i don't think he will have a redemption arc because it isn't treated like a big deal, just anime wackiness. It's nowhere near the level of sexism present in something like omega labyrinth but it is definitely there and noticeable to people who are sensitive to it. I read the article and I hope the sexism isn't as bad as she says because I do like the game.

Gameplay is good, the art is lovely and it is enjoyable to play!

I think a lot of people are just used to cringing and moving on. If you can cringe, ignore it, and enjoy the gameplay and rest of the story go for it. The entire world isn't going to change overnight. We are making progress, but change is always slow.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Does Valkyrie Chronicles 4 have a demo and is it representative? Tactics games are among my favorites. I can't get enough of Into the Breach at the moment.

Yup, you can load it on your switch right now even if you don't have it with you. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/valkyria-chronicles-4-switch log into your account and click the "demo" button. It will install for you so it's waiting next time you pick the switch up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Didn't take long for someone to capitalize on Bowsette for monies

https://theyetee.com/products/goth-princess

I was expecting a cosplay / Halloween costume when I clicked that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

I didn't like monster hunter on 3ds, but like, how's the cat play?

I also couldn't get into Mon Hun on the 3DS but had no issues getting into it on the Switch other than my Japanese being extremely poor so I had to look up most of the menus. I switched to World when that came out and haven't looked back to compare. With it being localized you should have a good time with Double Cross. I enjoyed World way more, and mobility isn't really a huge deal to me in a Mon Hun, I tend to sit down for 4+ hours or not at all, the "just one more hunt" is too strong.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s the first gen where I’d declare the PlayStation controller as decent.
edit: I just realized I misread what you said entirely, leaving this anyway but no need to answer. DualShock controller was a massive move forward though.

The launch one, or the dualshock? Everyone forgets the terrible PS1 controller without analog sticks that was the only option for years, it actually came out in the second half the generation if you look at PS1 PS2 and DS1 release dates.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Bloop posted:

n64 controller was not even close to the worst, general design-wise or comfort wise.

Granted the stick tech was garbage long-term, but it was also the first modern analog stick so it gets a bit of a pass. The addition of a true trigger and the options to use one controller multiple ways have been greatly refined but are descended from that beast.

Nintendo felt that most games would use the D-pad which is why the natural grip is on the D-pad. It's also why the Analog stick isn't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Not a lot of Switch discussion in the Switch thread I see

There's been plenty, we're currently having a side convo about the evolution of controllers which is relevant because of Hori's new D-pad joycon.

• Locked thread