Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So, I'm probably getting a Switch tomorrow, along with BOTW, and Mario Odyssey. I've read about the switch getting scratched when putting it into the dock, and also that it can warp due to heat. I'm guessing these aren't that wide spread, as they'd be getting bad press like the Red Ring of Death. Has anyone here experienced any of these issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I did order a screen protector as well. I always put those on all my phones/handhelds.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone tried the Lego Avengers 2 game? Is it a bad port?

VVV thanks, yeah that's the one. :smith: VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 17, 2018

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is there any drawback to buying used switch games?
I was going to buy a new BOTW, but if I don't get the coins, then I might as well get it digital or used.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

I got Binding of Isaac for the first time and played for 3 hours, drat it is addicting. I was really surprised you can only shoot up/down/left/right, since gameplay videos make it seem you can shoot in any direction you want.

Any tips for a new player? I can't get past the 3rd stage :argh:

It'll be hard in the beginning, as there's so many unlocks yet to unlock. Not to say it's unfair or anything, but it'll get easier when you have a larger pool of good unlocks. You'll also learn more things like what each enemies pattern is.
I personally stay away from pills myself.
In every room there is a rock, look for ones that are off-color, or have a little 'x' in the cornet - if you blow these up with a bomb, you'll get a blue (soul) heart (or possibly a rock upgrade, which improves damage).
Also you can sort of curve your tears if you fire when moving.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Welp, finally got a switch tonight. Loving it so far.
Grabbed Mario, and Zelda BOTW, and also Binding of Isaac. Killed mom on my first try. I guess 140 hours on the PC version paid off. Saw a few new things I've never seen before, so that makes it even more worthwhile.
Just a question regarding the DLC for BOTW - is it more tailored to end game/NG+, or can I play/access everything at the start?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for the replies on the BOTW DLC!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Super Mario Odyssey also use the rumble quite a bit. There's certain locations where you use it to know where to butt-drop to get a moon/coins.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've never played a Donkey Kong game (other than the original - yeah, I'm old), are there many timed missions/levels in Trop Freeze?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone heard if they plan to release Cuphead on the switch? Seems like a great console for it.
Also, I keep hearing that Celeste is supposed to be amazing (both here and in the Steam thread), can anyone explain what makes it so good?
The pixel art style mixed with the super meatboy-type levels seem like a recipe for frustration.

EDIT VVV Yeah, I think you're right. That makes sense why there's not word about it on the Switch. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 3, 2018

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'll be traveling soon - is there any issues using a reg USB-C to USB 3.0 cable to charge the Switch vs. the one with the adapter on the plug end?
Edit - it'll still charge both the switch, and joy cons if they are attached?

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 6, 2018

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Found a decent game play video of Immortal Redneck on the Switch - though the language ain't english.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9d5tPlOyeU

The graphics definitely have taken a step back - compare the FOV with the health bar icon on the bottom of the screen. I understand some concessions needed to be made, but that's something that might bother some people.
The 30 FPS lock doesn't look too bad. Didn't see much slowdown when the screen was busy.
The loading times between levels also seemed pretty long (25 seconds) compared to PC.

Game play-wise, there's some levels where the platforming is a bit of a chore - so know that going in. There's one that's a bit worse than this one, but here's an example: https://youtu.be/O9d5tPlOyeU?t=4172

Might still pick it up, as it's a fun game, and loved it on the PC,.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

It's not quite that bad. It's not good, either, and I doubt it'll get any better (in an AMA the devs cited performance issues with Unity, which.. :rolleyes:) but I can see how it might be a dealbreaker. I will say, that sitting 12' back from my 55" TV (my usual gaming setup) I didn't really notice the texture issues much. Handheld it seems much worse because you're shoving the display right in front of your face.

Yeah, I've been debating buying it for 2 days now, as I usually play my Switch in handheld.
I have it on a beefy PC, but having a gimped version mobile is tempting.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hey Canadian goons - it looks like Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is $40 off right now at ebgames.
https://www.ebgames.ca/Switch/Games/732738/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle.

For those that have played it - it's pretty decent, right?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

Whats the deal with the endless gauntlet of bosses in the room to the left after you defeat Isaacs Mom in binding of Isaac? Does it ever end? So tired of getting all the way to the Mom and then getting killed after defeating 10+ bosses in that room

I know from now on to not go in it but I hate stuff like that in games where you cannot win. It is super frustrating and makes you feel like you wasted your time.

That's a boss rush room. It's a long string (15 waves of 2 bosses) in a row, but it does end. You should be able to bypass it and go deeper. I only ever play it if I have an awesome build on that run.

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Boss_Rush

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 13, 2018

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’m stuck with 3rd world dial up right now. Not sure if you can tell from the demo, but does it seem like Mario Aces might have a decent single player element, or does it mostly feel less or it’s geared to multi player?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

I can't think of any game I soured on more quickly than Mario Tennis. I loved this game's demo too. I couldn't get enough of it. I felt like I understood the mechanics. I had fun. I played well.

The full game is another story. Between gyro controls randomly turning off mid match, the feeling that nothing I do matters, automatically going into zone shots if all I thought I was doing was moving in slow motion, and the endless parade of the same here characters I want nothing to do with this game. I wish I thought it was more than half baked bullshit.

I had more fun with Brink.

I haven't played it yet (I pre-ordered it based on this threads gushing over the demo), because I'm loving Hollow Knight (again - finished it on PC). I basically bought Mario Tennis as it sounded like it was going to have great single player campaign, but I hear that's half-baked or something. Sucks that it's not hitting the mark with many people. I'll have to give it a try and see. Too bad about buying digitally as there's no trade in.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

beerinator posted:

Hollow Knight boss discussion:

What I've found is that in boss fights, it's not as important to hit the boss as it is to try not to get hit. Patience is key in all of the boss fights I've fought. If you successfully dodge one of their attacks and find yourself not in a good position to get an attack in, don't rush in to attempt a hit and put yourself in a bad position. Just be patient and wait for the next opportunity. Keep this up and you will wear down the boss. At the very least, if you're patient and you still end up dying, you'll get more opportunities to practice dodging their attacks for the next go.

Also: if you absolutely can't get a handle on bosses, this guy has good boss strategy videos.

This is excellent advice. And if you're dying over and over, try to take something from the each attempt, like "Oh, that's what that particular attack does - next time, I'll try to see if he/she gives any indication of when that is coming up, or look for where I need to get to in order to avoid it".
When I started treating Dark Souls 2/3 like it's a puzzle game, and each boss encounter is a puzzle I have to figure out, it made the game much easier. But patience is key. This applies to Hollow Knight as well.
In most cases, it's just the boss applying 1 of 2-5 different attacks over and over. Most times that attack is determined by where you are on the screen relative to his/her range. Trial and error will be a part of it, and the more you play, the better you will get. Some people can get better quickly, others need 40+ hours (like me).

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah, I just started noticing this with my joycon as well. Haven't tried cleaning it properly yet though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

If I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, ever, in my life, and I have a PC that can run World, as well as a Switch... assuming I only wanted to buy one, which would you recommend? I have to admit the demo looks like a PS2 game compared to the footage I've seen of World...

World is my first one as well. I haven't played the others, but if the switch one is a re-skin of a PS2 game (I think?), and is harder than World, I'd stay away from it, unless you love hard, challenging games.

Bad:
Just be aware that starting out it might take awhile to really get into it. I had to look up a bunch of videos on how to play, and tips and tricks, as I didn't find the game intuitive at all. It can be grindy as well if you're trying to harvest certain body parts from the monsters to make your upgrades. Once you commit to an animation, you can't cancel out. Button mashing will lead to frustration.
Some of the game design decisions are back from the PS1/PS2 era, and had me baffled that they are still in a game in 2018, but these games sell like crazy, so why mess with it i guess. Luckily for me the gameplay is really fun.

Good:
The gameplay is really fun once you get the hang of it. But watch a video or two on how to fight properly with the weapon you choose.
Beating the big monsters/bosses is a blast when you pull it off. I treat them sort of like a dance puzzle game, and my attacks/dodges are dance moves within the puzzle.
The depth to the games upgrade system/defeating harder and harder monsters is what keeps you playing for 80+ hours.

The others in this thread will provide more/better advice than I can, but I wanted to give a newbie's thoughts on World.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Has anyone else had issues getting their Switch to connect to Wifi? I noticed I'm still on the old firmware, but it just won't connect to my wifi at home, even though all other devices are working fine.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

katkillad2 posted:

Played a bunch of Dead Cells last night. It's the perfect game after playing 80+ hour rpg's. Still haven't beat it yet, feels like the difficulty jumps 3-4x when you get to the castle level. Enemies immediately get tougher to kill and hit like a truck. I have zero problems up until that point.

Same. Loving the game, but I feel I should have beaten the main boss by now. Have unlocked most of all the weapons, and am 3/4 done unlocking the second dropped weapon upgrade thing. Am fine up to the castle level, and try to rely on traps when I get there, and take it slow. I have read that when you upgrade with scrolls it also upgrades the enemies, making the end levels really hard. Can anyone confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Has someone matched the optimal scroll amount?

Not sure how true or proven this is, but I found this:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/231483-dead-cells/76903042

• Locked thread