Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
What I liked most about BotW was that it's huge world was actually fun to explore and there was almost always stuff to find. A lot of games do the whole "See that mountain? You can go there!" thing, but in this game it's actually fun & worthwhile more often than not. It nailed that sense of exploration and discovery that other open world games struggle to achieve.
I almost never used horses and spent a lot of time just exploring the open world within the game (rather than going from map icon to map icon like a lot of these games end up).

Also as a sheer statement of intent for the Switch it's impressive that they got a game of such size on a portable console. Almost as if to say, "Look developers, don't be fooled by it's small frame, this is what you can do on the Switch!"

MZ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The PS4 didn't launch with any of this stuff either, in fact it couldn't even play Blu-Ray movies out of the box, it's just never the priority of a new console launch.

I agree there is no real reason for this stuff to be on the Switch but it's nice to have.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

It's completely on Netflix to build & maintain the app and it has nothing to do with Nintendo not being able to ship other features because of it. The impact of having / not having Netflix on the Switch is completely unrelated to any additional hardware/software features that might have emerged.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Manky posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if streaming apps were hugely de-prioritized considering that Netflix is unusable on 3DS, and Youtube is drat near unusable on Wii U. Those companies did bad jobs on those streaming apps and the Switch does not need lovely streaming apps. Does it need good ones? Debatable. I hope it gets a good Youtube app someday, personally. But for now, you bet I'm glad it has none of the lovely apps the last gen got.

I also wonder if N's analytics saw Wii U game purchases going down and more and more systems just being used for video streaming; that'd be salt in the wound of that terrible failure, if I was them

I think this is more to do with the 3DS hardware / software being completely unsuitable for those apps, the Switch is much closer to a modern tablet and I'd imagine any streaming apps should run fine.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Not true, there are already two Yakuza games translated to english with more on the way on PS4.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Is there a strong chance that Nintendo will port Mario Maker / Captain Toad / NSMB / etc. to Switch??

They hit it out of the park this year with BotW and Mario Odyssey (which I'm going to just assume will be great!) but obviously Nintendo being Nintendo we may not even see follow-ups to these until their next console.....

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

People still successfully sell Wii units on eBay and Craigslist. There’s going to be a millions strong following for some time

Yeah Nintendo sold like over 100m units of those things (for perspective the Wii U managed about 10% of that!), they're not disappearing any time soon.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Odyssey is great, my only real complaint is that there are two motion-controlled actions that you can't seem to do any other way, which is especially baffling since these could be mapped to the two duplicated face button actions. I hope they fix this in a patch? Especially as these a very hard to do in handheld mode.

Nintendo again showing 95% brilliance and 5% :wtc: They just will not let motion controls die for some reason.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Which actions are you talking about? If one of them is the one where your hat rotates around you I found out by accident that you can just rotate the movement joystick in a circle before throwing your hat and it will perform this action.

Yes that and the homing-hat thing.

That's good to know, but the game should tell you this :(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I'm really impressed that Mario has kept essentially the same basic move-set from 21 years ago and it still feels great to play. Miyamoto really nailed it on his first try at 3D with Mario 64.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I loved BotW. In a lot of open world games I find myself going from map icon to map icon, but BotW really nailed that sense of 'organic' exploration for me.
It's definitely more revolutionary than Odyssey, but it had to be, I know some people miss the old dungeon structure but if it was just another straight-up Zelda sequel I don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much.
The shrines were really fun to find and although a lot of them are quite short, there's loads of them and they're all pretty fun (apart from a few too many strength test shrines). I didn't care too much for the weapon degradation or the cooking but I'm glad Nintendo is trying new ideas with the franchise.

Mario is already pretty much perfect and all I really want from it is more levels :)

However if anything I'd say the concept of bosses in both games are a bit of a crutch and largely unnecessary, they're there to give you something to do at the end of a stage but they are the least memorable & weakest parts of either game. In a post-Soulsbourne world, BotW & Odyssey bosses are really meh.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I love that you can get the low-poly, low-res Mario 64 outfit in Odyssey.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

well why not posted:

Mario 64 holds up better than most games of similar age. It's still super fun and accessible. Stuff like Star Fox 64 or Goldeneye are borderline unplayable compared to modern games.

It's not timeless like high quality spritework (SMW3) but it's not terrible.

It's that Mario magic, Super Mario Bros. 1/2/3 hold up better than 99% of games from the NES era, a lot of them are trash to play today.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

It's sad to think that a lot of people will burn through the mainline game of Mario Odyssey with minimal moons, beat Bowser and go "well, that was that game".

Imagined posted:

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Actually I would argue that Sony also cheaped out with a 500GB laptop drive on the PS4, this is no way big enough for the lifetime of the console given that many games creep close to or even beyond 50GB, in fact the first thing I did was replace it with a 2TB drive.
But hey, it's a quick and easy way to cut down on the per-unit cost of producing a console, and when you make tens of millions of them it adds up a lot. I agree 32GB on Switch isn't enough, but it isn't unexpected.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

I feel like companies expected the Switch to be a Wii U level flop but instead it's huge and now they're having to figure out their game plan.

I don't think anyone, Nintendo included, expected the Switch to be as successful as it has been so far, so yeah it has taken a lot of people by surprise.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard for me to believe that tens of millions of workers in China are pumping out flash memory by the ton every day but it still isn't enough to keep up with the world's insatiable lust for devices that use it, but that appears to be the case.

Last year an estimated 1.5 billion smartphones were sold, that's a lot of flash memory. This is compounded by the increasingly throw-away nature of phones with yearly iterative hardware revisions (some companies don't even wait that long).

So yeah, games consoles are a drop in the ocean compared to that.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the Switch hits that 14+ million sales figure in its first year then a lot of stage time at E3 next year is going to be companies scrambling to show off what they're making for the Switch.

:eng101: Nintendo hasn't had a stage at E3 for years.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's something to think about; ok, so you get Nintendo Switch Online or whatever it is, and you're playing your NES games. Then the internet (or online service) goes down. What then? Obviously, with Netflix, you just can't watch anything (unless you've downloaded a title). But these are games. I'm assuming that you'd be kicked out of the game, but ideally, any game that you have installed onto your system (if that's how it works), would only require an internet connection/validation/phoning home once every X days. I have a few audio plugins that do that; as long as the service I have them through can connect online (briefly) once every 3 days, everything is cool. It'd be nice if these games only required a once-per-week check in, but again, I'm assuming that you'd be kicked out of whatever you were playing if the service or your connection is lost.

It'll probably work the same way the PS+ games work on PS4, say you pay for online for a year you'll get a years' license that'll work whether or not the console is connected to the internet, you'll just have a one-time download of the game.
Pretty certain it won't have to poll every X days or kick you out of the game if the connection is lost, that would be lovely, especially for a portable console.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Getting something like NES/SNESflix would be great, but given how incredibly tight Nintendo are about giving away even 30-year-old titles, I wouldn't hold out for them to be too generous.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yikes that's pretty loving ugly but I assume it's only running at 720p and upscaling to maintain 60fps so we Gucci.

Nope, DOOM only runs at 30fps on the Switch.

MZ fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 9, 2017

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

Well gently caress that, my adult rear end doesn't have time to plat games anymore :argh:

I still can't quite decide if it's awesome or lame that Nintendo still doesn't do achievements. There's something to be said about being the last bastion of the gaming world where games are played for fun and not for imaginary awards.

They kind-of do them in Mario Odyssey, but I've never really seen the point of them, I guess it adds some re-play value for some but I want to try and '100%' SMO way more than games on other systems that actually do have achievements.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"Man that koopa parkour run was really drat good, lemme check the global scoreboard to see how I placed WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FEEDING THESE JAPANESE GAMERS?! 18 SECONDS?! loving HOW?!"

This but also with the Rope Jumping challenge in New Donk City, seriously :psyduck: :wtc:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Mario + Rabbids: Tried the first 1-1 'Challenge 1 - Very Easy' and got royally beaten. Are you mean't to be super levelled up for these?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

So it's on track to beat lifetime Wii U sales within 12 months!?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dying, out of touch, doomed Nintendo now has the fastest selling console in the US ever. Breaking the previous record, which was also held by Nintendo.

I was burned by the Wii, it sold a lot of units but first-party games aside, it had terrible support. I completely passed on the Wii U, but it's great to see Nintendo bounce back. Really enjoying the Switch so far, let's hope they can keep it up in the years to come.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

They will never sell a Switch that is 'docked only' or 'portable only', that goes against the whole ethos of the entire system.

It wouldn't surprise me however if some years down the line they released an upgraded version with either a slightly newer generation chipset / better screen / better battery / etc.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

One odd little side effect I'm hoping for - perhaps too optimistically - is that the Switch being limited in the performance department (without being as limited as the 3DS) is that it'll lower the bar somewhat for what kind of audiovisual features are enough to be considered a "good game". We've been on this stupid fidelity treadmill for years now with AAA games becoming more fidelitous and more expensive to make and it's increasingly happening at the expense of, you know, cool gameplay.

The treadmill isn't going anywhere, Nintendo have been side-stepping the whole AAA graphics thing for years now, way before the Switch. Having said that Mario Odyssey is no slouch.

bull3964 posted:

There's still no hardware that's higher performing that's compatible with the existing architecture. X1 is about as good as it gets for GPU under ARM. The Switch is the pinnacle if what's currently possible in ARM gaming. The best they could do is put a big honking heat sink in the X1 and overclock it, but I doubt the gains would be substantial.

X2 was never really made as Nvidia abandoned the mobile market. It was mainly used as PoC for self driving car systems.

I wonder if the success of the Switch will convince Nvidia to re-consider, nothing to stop Nintendo saying say 5-10 years down the line "We'll order 10million X3 chips right now" for whatever the Switch's successor will be.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Kurzon posted:

I recently bought Wii U off eBay for €130. Was that a bargain? I thought I should wait at least a year before getting a Switch, when more titles will be available and the price will go down. How much of a leap is the Switch over the Wii U?

Get your money back, €130 is way too much for a Wii U, that's almost half the cost of a Switch.

On paper the Switch is roughly 2x as powerful as the WiiU (difficult to compare as they are different generation chipsets), it won't match PS4 but that's not why you'd buy a Switch. The ability to play plugged into a TV or go completely portable is the real big leap over the Wii U. Also having instant suspend/resume is one of the best features of this console.

The Switch has already sold more than the lifetime sales of the Wii U in under 12 months and has much more third-party support, this should theoretically put it in much better standing for the future.

MZ fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 15, 2018

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls...

:siren: Attention UK goons :siren:

Base.com has Dark Souls Remastered for preorder at £29.85, just under half price. Which is nice if you don't want to pay £25 more than the other consoles for this 7 year old game

I bought the original Dark Souls a couple of months after release for £22.95, and this was a limited edition with an artbook and soundtrack cd....

(Skyrim came out that same year and got much more hype and completely overshadowed it, people didn't 'get' Dark Souls until a while later.)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

The Kins posted:

Re: Megaman, seems to be that Nintendo won't let you put more than one "title" on a game cart....

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Is there a way in Puyo Puyo Tetris to play Tetris in VS mode with score attack only (no garbage pileups)??

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

these guys predicted the direct:

https://twitter.com/vandal_leaks/status/970637710384947201

but the 43 stars instead of moons thing is like... guh come on guys wtf. i want to believe.

Yeah, it also sounds far too specific to be true, has anything that precise ever leaked for a 1st-party Nintendo title? Would be more believable if they just said 'new Mario DLC' and left it at that.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's an emote... How is this helping anyone win anything?

The respect of their peers?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

We get it, Nintendo believes they are "always right and the customer can gently caress off" but really, poo poo like folders and cloud saves should have been in long ago and it's pure laziness or arrogance that keeps them from providing the services. It's not entitlement to expect more than a dark and light theme after 12 months either.

The PS4 didn't get folders until like 3 years after it launched so don't hold your breath...

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Can Tropical Freeze be couch co-oped like Rayman Legends?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Why is the dock 90 dollars. It's just a hollow shell of molded plastic with a circuit board in the back. I genuinely feel like I'm missing something here.

Brought to you by the same company that will soon be charging you $70 for some cardboard.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

There is no way the dock costs more than a couple of dollars in parts, not at the volume Nintendo is making these things.

You can argue for R&D, labour costs etc, but I'm certain 99% of that went into the Switch itself and not the dock (I mean, look at it).

It's way overpriced for what it is.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

So in the space of a few weeks we've gone from "New firmware means Switch is almost impossible to hack." to "Cracked wide open with undetectable, unfixable exploit." Wow.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was pretty cool that a lot of indie games were able to get a second life on the Switch. It's a shame piracy is going to gently caress that up too.

You're overestimating the reach of console piracy, the vast majority of Switch owners won't even know, care or think to try. It'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

It's been trivially easy to download pirate Movies & TV shows for what - two decades now? But this hasn't killed Hollywood - budgets are bigger than ever and they're still posting record box-office numbers. People still go to cinemas.

Meanwhile the production quality of TV shows has gone through the roof - reaching or bettering some movies, and there is more choice than there ever has been for different shows to watch.

The Switch will be fine.

• Locked thread