Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

What do I buy next, Implosion or Gonner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Get Rogue Aces, you're welcome.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Seriously, get Rogue Aces.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Play Rogue Aces if your want to feel like a bad rear end just landing a plane. The game has me making motor noises with my mouth during dogfights. The mechanics plus the hd rumble make it hard to put down.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My friend have you heard of NFC

That's a lot of effort that a phone app can replace.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

What app completely emulates amiibo? Tagmo lets you write custom amiibo, but doesn't emulate them entirely (including saving "to" the amiibo).

There's certain nfc reader apps that allow creating tags. Theoretically, can't you just save them to a folder and reuse created tags?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Word, just saw that Reddit. Never realized it still has to be physical. That's kinda of lame, but if you're in a pinch it works.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

What's a good co-op game for the Switch?

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. A streamlined take on the under appreciated Affordable Space Adventures.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Is The Danger Zone on your beach party playlist? Is the originator of the saying, "I can fly, I'm pilot" enshrined on your mantle? Then Rogue Aces is for you. A truly skill-based roguelike, Aces is one of the most cinematic games you'll play this year. And not in the marketing meaning of cinematic that just stands for cut scenes and funneling you to set pieces. No, Rogue Aces nails a few mechanics and uses them to create an immersive experience.

The core of the game revolves around the controls, which hone down the intracacies of flight to their essence. Besides two different ways to direct the plane itself, there's only the manual analog engine to worry about. With fully custom controls, it's easy to find a setup comfortable for you, though the game defaults to the analog sticks for both. You also have an unlimited machine gun canon, as well as a growing but limited stock of bombs and rockets.

There are several tutorials that get into the small intracacies of the game, and I recommended doing all of them. After the initial offer you can find them all in the options. Once you've come to grips with piloting the airplane, there's only one mode you can even access, the campaign.

The campaign looks exactly like the tutorial, and for all intents and purposes, that's exactly what it is. You will receive an objective, take off and head towards the glowing objective marker and take it out. In this mode, the main focus is to git gud. Because of how land is generated, you will crash early and often. Once you're good at it, the goal is to complete the perfect run of 100 straight missions or so. Along the way, your targets will drop temporary upgrades during missions, and every failed run adds xp to your over all level that unlocks permanent slots for random upgrades you can choose before each run.

Not quite sure about how it unlocks, but at some point, I think a run of 10 completed missions in a single run will unlock it, the Frontline campaign is unlocked. This is the real game.

Frontline campaign generates a map of 28 separate proc gen islands each with their own unique objective. Your mission is to reach the opposite end of the map, where a rival pilot is HQd. The game gives you 2 and a half in game days, with failures taking up 4 hours and success taking 2. Every "turn" you choose one of 3 islands and try to clear it. At the same time, the rival will close the gap between you and choose their own. As they get closer, the day will change to night, until you're fighting against them in a lighting storm. After you defeat them, they get sent back to their base to try again with another powerup(mini guns, flame thrower).

The genius of Frontline is that it takes the tutorial/campaign to it's logical conclusion. In the original, every objective is marked by a flaming yellow icon that tracks their position no matter what. In Frontline, that's all gone, so for instance, every island you must capture the base, the game will give you a picture of it in the corner and you have to go put eyes on it. This combined with the procedural generation of the islands produces emergent cinematic gameplay just through being a skilled pilot.

The bare bones aesthetics seem to encourage repeat plays, as the basic art bellies the difficultly, compelling you to challenge yourself as the simplicity highlights your errors. I'm not really fan of rogue likes, even necrodancer was just a novel experience. But coming to grips with Rogue Aces had been socially unhealthy. It's all I can think about.

Tldr currently the best 10 bux you can spend on the eshop.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bayonetta is great in portable mode but I’m waiting for pro controllers with good dpad before I play it on hard or above. I feel like I’d break my joycons otherwise.

What would a dpad do for you in bayonetta?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It could be improved.

I'd rather instead of breaking entirely they reverted to a base, crappy form after so much use, maybe even not usable still in your inventory as an ingredient, and you could use a forge or anvil like you use a pot to improve or fix them up.

You would have the same incentive to mix things up and have variety, but not have to worry about losing something you really like.

To limit your ability to make really overpowered weapons from the start of the game, forging could be a skill you have to actually invest in with a limited resource such as spirit orbs.

You're adding more material on top of what the world already generously gives you? How about you just let go of that weapon and try a new one?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Hot tip: the more you use and destroy a weapon, the stronger that type will be when the blood moon comes. It's almost like the game is rewarding you for fighting. The best weapons are recreateable already.

It's funny how most suggestions to make botw "better" involve homogenizing it to some degree of familiarity.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I'm in the middle of a 3 heart no stamina run run and am doing the trials before taking on the beasts. Been stuck on the trials for a month now. Just heart breaking how quick you die.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Yeah that's what people say. I'd rather the sword just not break in the first place thank you for the advice tho

Thank god for Mario

As soon as the break warning appears, you have 3 extra hits. The third hit when thrown is a critical. Throw it at an enemy's face and they will drop their weapon. There, all good.

Miyamato can flip as many tea tables as he wants.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Was it announced for switch? Lol, that's brave while their current poo poo show hasn't stopped yet with the pending shaq fu release.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Very carefully! The tutorial mentions something about putting your nose up a bit but that seems completely unnecessary. Just be about an inch or so off the ground and throttle down. It's pretty satisfying when you get it down and still tough enough that in the middle of combat it's still pretty challenging.

I haven't played enough to go too in depth but initial thoughts are positive. I got worried pretty fast at the first available campaign mode thinking that's all the game was, but then unlocked the 2nd mode and it's kicking my rear end.
The trick is to take off and stay at half throttle and only go full during dog fights and getting home. Then start throttling down when the counter is at 4.

antidote posted:

Re: Rogue Aces, I managed to accidentally steal an enemy plane mid-air and the game called it out, but I crashed. Does anyone know how I did that? Thinking I had ejected and somehow landed in the other plane but I can't recreate it. Do they need to have ejected too?
You can hop out of your plane by pressing the eject button twice, but if you press it a third time, your parachute comes out. You must be in freefall to jack a plane. Just touch them with your pilot and you'll take over, but remember you've usually shot them up so they're on half throttle already and need to be handled carefully.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 18, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

He was working on finishing Celeste first.

I know we're getting niddhogg 2, but I would love 1 as well.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

How is Bayonetta 2 60 fps and gorgeous and Kirby 30 fps. Someone explain that.

Developers focus on different things. It's weird they chose Kirby, I wonder what yoshi is gonna be at.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Why is there no way to browse all games on the eshop?
You can also go to recent games, scroll to bottom, view all. Really hoping they have a revamp coming with the online stuff.

Feenix posted:

Manticore impressions: 30 minute mark.

Runs and looks nice handheld. Easy so far, I would start it on the hardest.
Dialogue is kinda cheesy crap but not actively ruining it for me.
Flight and controls are good.
Area is large enough, but don't expect No Man's Sky space.
It hews a bit to the arcadey. (not hardcore sim.)

But, honestly, so far, I'll take it as not having a game like this on Switch (and very little on Consoles in general) it's pretty much what I was hoping for/expecting.

It may get repetitive later. Can't speak to that...

Sky Rogue is next week, and it's got gyro cockpit controls.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I havent seen any discussion of Crazy Justice here. Its a Fortnite-alike for Switch, XBONE and PC, with crossplay. I'm thinking about backing it because I want Fortnite on the Switch and Epic apparently hates making money, so they haven't brought it over yet in what has to be the dumbest gaming decision of both 2017 and 2018

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/04/rejoice_fortnite_fans_switch_battle_royale_title_crazy_justice_is_shaping_up_nicely

I backed it, but they are super quiet as far as updates, with even the switch build kind of looking like a shell game. Hoping it turns out alright, it as only 15 bucks.

And wait for e3 and Nintendo's online service. Willing to bet things are being held back as incentive for that. Also, tencent who owns pubg makers bluehole, also created the mobile pubg and that moba valor that is already coming to switch. With how easy ue4 is, I can see the pubg mobile app coming over, especially since it uses bots, which would be perfect for short offline bursts.

I really want radical heights.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So there seem to be ways to get the WiiU pro controller working with the Switch, does it/do they actually work well?

Just grab a magic-ns adapter from mayflash. They're a known quality.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Can someone please give impressions on fishing? It's all i want from labo, hope it's good enough for a quick arcade experience every once and awhile.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Just popping in to say Celeste is fantastic and I was wondering if there are any good platformers on the Switch besides Mario Odyssey that you'd like to recommend.

I hear splasher is super dope and it's by a former rayman level designer. Then topical freeze next month.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://nintendoeverything.com/platinumgames-trying-to-talk-with-nintendo-about-bringing-the-wonderful-101-to-switch/

Only annoyed by this because i really wanted this to already be in the works. Kamiya's masterpiece needs to be seen by all.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Tropical Freeze is worth full price if you haven't already tried it, and I'd argue still worth it, though I'd be playing devil's advocate cause I won't be. Saving my money for Tennis Aces.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Please details on the fishing game when you finish.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/xdcdoAlaILU

Sky Rogue is the next game you should purchase. Thursday can't come soon enough.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Manticore looks pretty cool. What's with these cool plane/space ship games coming out near each other?

Don't get manticore, apparently it's still a mobile game through and through and doesn't actually hit a stable 60fps. You're better off waiting for sky rogue or everspace.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Dang. The GB quicklook made it look like a fun Freespace type game.
Apparently it's a lot of badly designed support missions for things that die rather quickly.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

There are alternate control schemes. But that logic, there are other input devices that are "easier" to use, is like the exact opposite point of flight games, especially those with any kind of simulation in them. You can rest your hands on your lap, that hasn't been an issue since the wii.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 22, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

It should be 0 days behind the other platforms.

This is up to the devs priorities. The only people that had issues on the switch were the nba playgrounds devs who wanted to drop a patch bigger than the game, and Nintendo said no.

Nba2k18 is one of the biggest gaas in the industry, and it gets patches all the time. I can see devs waiting on the online service for chat and other functions they don't want to code for, but do believe, Nintendo has made sure they get their money.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 23, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Does it get its patches on the same day as the other consoles? Because that seems to be a priority for Blizzard.

A day later since Nintendo updates on Thursday compared to Tuesday for the twins.

goferchan posted:

Obviously Chucklefish isn't Blizzard but Stardew Valley had some game-breaking bugs at launch and the devs submitted a patch immediately but it took over a month for it to be approved. Same deal with Enter the Gungeon, their patch addressing similar issues was submitted the day after the game came out but we weren't able to download it for about 3 weeks. I imagine bigger developers have more leverage though, certainly

That's how patches work. The big publishes have more people to make sure patches won't break something else. Indies don't, so they have to keep resubmitting. This is nintendo making sure the patch works, not prioritizing based on infamy. Nintendo has shown they need/want Indies more than 3rd party. Many small indie games put out patches really quick, sometimes just for a better icon.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 23, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Looking forward to playing Sky Rouge back to back with Rogue Aces for all the 2D / 3D randomly generated plane shooting I can handle

Yes this. Undocked Rogue Aces and docked Sky Rogue looks to be this pilots new drug.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zelda is fairly straight forward story, but Nintendo was smart to get the minion folks on Mario, the juxtaposition of him and the mushroom people is too much for any kind of conventional story. They gotta go full video game nonsense.

Augus posted:

I still don't understand how people watch the Speed Racer movie without getting nauseous

Sit a normal distance away from a screen instead of a monitor? I don't understand this, the movie isn't in 3d and the choreography/action is better edited than the mcu.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sky Rogue is really good but it's aesthetic is confusing. It plays like a military sim, but the aesthetics scream arcade fast action, so it takes a second for the pacing and mechanics to sink in. It has a similar loop to rogue aces where landing on your base is a thing, though a little less skill based than rogue aces' rendition. There's deadzone settings option that is a must for the danger zone controls, but it only unlocks after you complete the tutorial. There's currently an issue where your game will hardlock during loading screens. Happens after a few rounds. They've already submitted a patch, so hopefully it's not too hampering. Luckily, the game starts so quick from the home screen. Just got doom as well or I'd dig in more.

Elman posted:

Has anyone noticed that their joycons started vibrating harder a while ago?

Mine's rumble used to be pretty smooth, Golf Story was this super nifty subtle vibration and it was barely noticeable in Mario or Zelda. I enjoyed it a lot compared to other controllers. But now it seems to vibrate a lot harder.

I tried some Golf Story and I had to turn the rumble off cause it vibrated pretty hard with every single line of dialogue, and in Mario it became pretty noticeable even though I turned it down to the lowest setting. I actually picked up a scooter in Mario and drove it around and it felt like a vibrating phone at times.

Have you updated your joycons?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Elman posted:

Yeah, they're fully updated. I'm not really sure if that's what caused it, though.

For all I know my joycons' rumble was too soft and an update fixed it, but it sure doesn't feel that way. I'll have to try a friend's at some point.

That's the point, the update seems to have changed the rumble frequency on several games. It's not just you, I think the devs would have to go back and refine tune individually.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Got doom for 40 and wow is it good, like way better than my jaded expectations. I am even enjoying the multiplayer, the gyro is seriously saving video game genres for me.

b_d posted:

looking forward to enjoying nintendo switch continuously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZ1v96-veM?t=64s

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I was really looking for MKD used but no luck. The hd rumble in that game haunts me dreams, it's so good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The first time I locked on to someone with the danger zone controls and shot them down felt incredibly good. Don't miss out on sky rogue y'all. I'd be playing it more, but I'm currently being humbled by doom. I'm sad it took me this long to experience this.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I really want to play Doom but I can't justify spending $60 on what I hear is a ten-hour campaign. How's the multiplayer?

I promise I felt the same way. I got it used at GameStop so you might get lucky. But i promise it's worth what ever you get it for. There's a small but it seems dedicated multiplayer group. They populate the team and deathmatch lists. Got close to full games. The game is just a joy to play, I kind of like the multiplayer more for really feeding the need to rip and tear without having to navigate a story. Single player is just starting to pick up, just got the assault rifle, but with more multiplayer time than single, I'll say it'll be awhile before I finish it. This is all predicated on you liking gyro aiming, as if you're playing with sticks, I imagine it's not nearly as fluid or fun.

Get this game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Guys, what's your favorite non-botw or odyssey experience on switch?

I have about 20 games and think I need to slow down because I love a lot of these titles and I'm just not giving them the attention they deserve. Zelda was absolute magic and Odyssey was charming, but now that the glow has faded, I've found myself going back to and enjoying the hell out of:

Bayonetta 2: As good as everyone says, hooooly poo poo. I'd like to grind out the entire store and finish my hardest difficulty playthrough, superior to the original in every way (which itself was very good).
Darkest Dungeon: I've only played this for a few 1 hour sessions despite owning it for months, but every time I play it I really want to sink my teeth into it some more. I'm avoiding guides and trying to feel my way around because it's way funner this way, and I'm on Radiant mode anyways so nbd.
Steamworld Dig 2: I'm done with it for good but ohhhh man, this game was a perfect little package, extremely recommended for any metrodivania fans

On the other hand, I have almost entirely neglected the following games:

RE Revelations: It's a competent, fun resident evil game. I just got distracted I guess, I need to go back to this because I was enjoying myself
Picross: This one surprised me because I loved the original Picross on DS and played it for hours and hours. For some reason I only played one or two puzzles and never again launched the title. I dunno, I guess I still feel salty about the original one having the most visual polish/superior soundtrack?
Xenoblade 2: I wouldn't say 16 hours was "entirely neglecting" it, but I'm currently at the part where something eats your party and you're in a new area, I don't know..seems fun and I want to play some more but there's just more engaging games I want to get through first. Also the fact that it looks 10x better docked hurts, easiest way to dissuade me from playing a game because I sit too drat much and never feel like playing console games after work, etc.

Welp that's all I have for you diary, thank you for being my best and only friend in this disappointing, frigid reality

DOOM with gyro controls has been orgasmic, I've moaned out loud a few times. Kind of enjoying multiplayer more than single since I'm not funneled through stuff just to rip and tear. Also Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is the perfect co-op game, especially for beginners.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cobalt Viper posted:

Just cause they're not calling it Smash 4 DX (and honestly why would they) doesn't mean that it's not just a Heavily Modded Smash WiiU.

If it's gonna be fully playable at E3 and release sometime September-November, then it 100% is just a souped up 4, even if they change enough on the surface to make people think otherwise.

This is literally most(all) sequels, since the last generation. Welcome to game development.

• Locked thread