Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

KingSlime posted:

ehh i'd rather hold out for a regular bundle or a zelda bundle

guess I'll try calling around tomorrow, see what's up

I've been checking Best Buy's site and reserved one for in-store pickup. They'll hold it for 5 days, so it may just be worth looking online to see if they have any stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

cheetah7071 posted:

I played a few of the Nintendo arcade games in their actually cabinets at PAX and they were all bad like 99% of games from that era

It's almost (though not entirely) impossible to make good games on hardware any worse than the SNES

Disagree.

Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong JR, and Popeye are great.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Any word on what happened to Pan Pan? It was set to release a few days ago, and then on release day, the eshop web page was pulled.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pan-pan-a-tiny-big-adventure-switch

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

roffels posted:

Any word on what happened to Pan Pan? It was set to release a few days ago, and then on release day, the eshop web page was pulled.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pan-pan-a-tiny-big-adventure-switch

To answer my own question, it's also available in the US. It was just pulled from Nintendo's eshop website but can be found on the console's eshop.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Rolo posted:

I don't really even want splatoon, just the joycons that come with the bundle. Maybe I'll just hold out that they eventually sell them separately.

There are DIY options if Nintendo doesn't pull through.

https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Port...=switch+basstop

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Switch docked is the non pro way to play.

My hands cramp in portable mode. Not so much in docked mode.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

iajanus posted:

I play mine about 70% handheld.

I'm in hotels travelling like 13-15 days a month so I'm hanging out for some awesome little travel dock so I can play on the hotel tvs. I cbf lugging my full dock around or buying a second full-sized one.

https://www.amazon.com/C-Force-Mult...itch+force+dock

Supposedly this works?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

chaleski posted:

:smuggo: The Switch is gonna be DOA, what games will it have besides Zelda?

*The Switch has one of the best launch years of arguably any console ever"

:smuggo: Ok but what about the next year? I hope they didn't put all of their eggs in one basket.

*The Switch already has several 1st party games in the works, not including indies and multiplats*

:smuggo: Ok but what about

Eh. Switch is a system I wanted but things like above were pretty big turn-offs. Zelda wasn't even a consideration since I was one of 12 people that had a Wii U, leaving someone like me looking at a bunch of 5+ year-old indie PC games that can be had for a few dollars (but sold for $29 or more on the Switch).

I'm excited for Mario, but after that, there's not much I'm excited for. However, the current-gen Nintendo system usually is a decent compliment to a gaming PC or one of the other consoles.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's hard to play Splatoon 2 on wiiu

I'm not interested in Splatoon.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's the best mp shooter this year, why the frig not?

I don't play shooters. Or have friends to play it with.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I do gotta tell you, as someone who plays mostly on dock, the portability of the switch is an experience that just can't be undersold. It really is amazing not being tethered to anything.

I like the portability aspect, but haven't used it yet. I think it will be good for train rides or at the airport, but honestly would feel like a huge dork having it out at theaters or a coffee shop. I live alone, so there's always a TV for me to use.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I did end up buying Sonic Mania on Switch even though I had it on PC, because it reminded me of playing Sonic 2 on my Sega Nomad as a kid.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is the weirdest post

What? Charging the joycons is a pain if you play docked most of the time. It would have been nice if Nintendo included the charging grip rather than offer that as a separate accessory.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Macaluso posted:

Wha? Just attach them to the console when you're done playing??

???

edit: Also I haven't attached my joycons back to the console in DAYS and I've played plenty of this game docked. The battery meter in the controller settings is still full for both

Why would I want to do that?

I got about 3 or 4 days of play out of the joycons before needing a charge.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Two Beans posted:

You have to keep the charging grip plugged in anyway to charge joycons. It doesn't have its own battery.

I get that, it's less annoying connecting a USB port to things than disconnecting two joy-cons, connecting to the system, disconnecting from the system, reconnecting to the grip.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Aithon posted:

Yeah, it's situated at the top, so it works in both handheld and docked.

Not sure why that's a question, almost every portable device with sound has a jack.

Lots of mobile devices are getting rid of the headphone jack, supporting either USB audio or bluetooth only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Andrast posted:

After getting used to consoles with a rest mode (and a PC with an SSD) it was annoyingly slow to start anything with that thing, especially when I usually play stuff in pretty short bursts.

I don't recall SSDs being common/available in 1999.

• Locked thread