Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I enjoyed playing arms and BoI on my Switch on the plane down to Sydney for work last night and in my hotel room. I look forward to playing more when I get back there tonight.

That's my Switch update for this Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't mind the dropping voice chat thing as long as they do a good job automatically reconnecting it promptly when back in the app.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That video actually assuaged a lot of my concerns about how well it'll be working. Even though the system is portable, there's a zero percent chance I'd ever be using it around other people (like on the bus or whatnot) so I'm quite happy with just having my phone on speaker whilst I'm using it. I'll either be playing it at home on the big tv or in a hotel on a work trip and either time if I ever want to use voicechat I'll be happy blasting the sound like that (and can put my phone on charge if needed).

Obviously this is my personal usecase and it's still stupid you can't switch to messaging apps or whatever but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mongoose posted:

Splatoon when?

stop asking this poo poo, it's not loving coming

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

OK, got to work and Splatoon2 purchased and downloading.

5 hours 12 minutes estimated.

Hmm

Probably should have brought a charger.

Wonder how long this will take in sleep mode...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

I take it you're AU or something? :)

Bingo.

20% downloaded and still got 86% battery left. Come on you magic Switch, iajanus wants to be splatooning at lunchtime!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

It was at this moment I remembered that I had ~15GB remaining on my monthly phone data plan and the month runs out tomorrow, so I switched to using my personal hotspot and the remaining time dropped to 30 minutes

:krad:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

100% at 1%. Calling it now. Bittersweet symphony.

better loving not be.
69% with 76% battery remaining. 1.5 hours till lunch. Come on little Switch!

Also, noticed that it has a habit of dropping off the wifi when in sleep mode (can tell because my phone has the notification telling me how many things are connected and it drops to 0). Fixed by just leaving the Switch on; anyone else noticed this before?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ready for some lunchtime splatooning!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

i just checked and splatoon 2 is not, in fact, out

It was pretty fun for the hour of it I played at lunchtime...

Might head on over to the break room in a bit and play some more.

Marie needs my help!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

just tried to buy it and couldn't

looks like it's not out

Move to a better country

e: or maybe just try buying it on a better country's store

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

My strategy is to hang back and let everyone else battle it out while I make sure all the backend is painted and I have a 7-15 record to show for it

My strategy of painting everything in sight and getting splatted regularly has gotten me a 10-5 record. Thank god for teammates.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

loving LOL if you have wired headphones in 2017.

I have both wired and bluetooth headphones still and they are both good in different situations. Quite often I prefer my wired ones in situations where I'll be sitting for extended periods of time (like, idk, on a plane) and there's no loving reason to have headphones on that have batteries that wear down. There's nothing more annoying than when the stupid things run out if you don't have an alternative, and frequently the alternative has no drawbacks comparatively.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I enjoy the conversation where people discuss when playing a Switch in public whether the use of over-ear headphones will make any difference to how people are perceiving you.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

The real secret is that you shouldn't care about what random people think about you.

Correct :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

raditts posted:

Playing games on mobile devices?!?! Nobody does THAT in public!!!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The real truth of the matter is that nobody cares whatsoever as long as you aren't bothering anyone.

TFRazorsaw gets the prize for being most correct here. Nobody in the real world gives a gently caress what headphones you're wearing unless they can hear your audio from across the room.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

what kind of turbo:spergin: uses ESDF lol

Someone who desperately wants to remap every key in games one to the right?

Wonder if they'd meltdown if you told them they could achieve the same effect by just moving their keyboard 2cm to the left

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

i am a clueless Nintendo user and cannot get the discord bot thing to work. I've put the code into every field in Additional Info on my profile but it never works :(. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I can wake my switch up from sleep with the pro controller which turns my TV and media player on but there's nothing on the screen from the switch; when I give the switch a minute so it turns off and then press the button again it is on the screen and all working correctly. Still not sure why.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

In my very limited experience with using the dock (Portable4Life), I'd press Home once and wait for it to vibrate to wake up the system, then press Home once more after that to cause the screen to actually turn on.

I was under the impression that the first press just took the systems out of hibernate and established a Bluetooth connection (I don't have one of those fancy turning-on TVs), and pressing it again once connected was to send the Ready To Go signal.

I'll give that a go when I get home from my trip; I'm positive I tried that already but who knows, there's every chance I didn't.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Seconded

Would love to know if battery is supposed to be improvable since mine used 40% on my flight from Brisbane to Sydney yesterday just playing Splatoon2 single player in flight mode.

e: Looked it up and copied below

quote:

The Battery Charge Indicator Displays Incorrectly
Applies to: Nintendo Switch
Description:
The console is never fully charged or the battery level indicator does not update while the console is charging.
You are able to continue using the console for a few hours even though the battery charge indicator is almost depleted.
While the console is on and connected directly to the AC adapter, the battery charging indicator is not displayed on the LCD screen.
Additional Information:
The Nintendo Switch console takes approximately 3 hours to fully charge when the console is powered off or in sleep mode. Charging time will be longer if the console is in use.
When fully charged, the battery duration for the console can last approximately 3 hours. This will vary depending on the software application and functions being used.
Important:
The battery charge display will not be fixed immediately after performing the steps below only once. It will be necessary to repeat this process several times.

Complete These Steps:
Ensure the console has the latest system update. The steps below apply to system menu version 3.0.1 or higher.
Set the Auto-Sleep mode to "Never" for "Playing on Console Screen" and for "Connected to TV."
Connect the AC adapter directly to the console until the battery is fully charged.
If the battery charge indicator does not reach 100%, simply allow the console to charge for approximately three hours.
The console can be in use while it is charging.
Once the battery is fully charged, leave the console alone for one hour with the AC adapter still connected to it.
Afterward, disconnect the AC adapter and allow the console to display the HOME Menu for approximately three to four hours.
The remaining battery life must be depleted as much as possible.
Once the battery charge is almost depleted, power off the console by holding down the POWER Button for three seconds, then select "Power Options" > "Turn Off." Leave the console alone for at least 30 minutes.
Repeat steps 2 - 6 several times.
The battery charge indicator will improve gradually by repeating this process several times.

Situation Not Resolved:
If the issue persists, please contact us for support by clicking here.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My WiiU is still plugged in and gets use occasionally since it can actually play virtual console games :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'd been looking for this for awhile and finally found it; a website that compares all the prices on the different eShops to let you know where the best deals are. Hope it helps people who are interested in saving some cash!

https://eshop.calyh.re/

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Quick question

I travel a lot for work and my switch has been a godsend. I'm currently taking the cable that came with my pro controller plugged into the end from an iPhone charger to charge it but it's very slow.

Would it be better to get one of the real chargers from Nintendo? Just want to get a charge faster.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I travel for work about 50% of the year for 4 days at a time and the annoyance factor in having to pull the cable out from behind the entertainment unit every time is far greater than just buying a second charger.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tried charging my switch on my new real Nintendo charger tonight, got 4% in 7 minutes. Yeah, this is a bit better than my old travel solution.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I played a heap of Wonderboy last night and can confirm it is quite fun, although jesus christ trying to play with the original graphics in some sections is a nightmare of colour

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I already have a backlog of Wii U and 3DS games. I need some time to breath so I could finish them.:(

Just get a job when you travel every second week and you'll unlock countless hours to finish games (note this only works on systems you can take with you or hook up to hotel tvs).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

That's every Master System game

I was a snes child

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I'm glad the Switch came out in March 2017 because it's fun and I enjoy playing it.

Yeah I'm not sure, I've only got a couple of hundred hours of excellent entertainment out of it so far. Pretty terrible.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah the switch is pretty loud, I was playing jack box with some friends a little while back and it was moderately loud where we were and nobody had trouble hearing it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I very rarely play docked, since I nearly always play it in bed or when work-travelling. When I do it is Pro Controller all the way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I always try to love Sonic games but the platforming is just so frustrating and imprecise to control if you come from a background of Mario.

Still going to buy this one and give it a chance later, though...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I like GoNNER but it could be a bit more helpful with explaining wtf is going on (esp with the items you can pick up). I get that it's got a really basic interface and aesthetic but without reading a wiki I had no clue wtf was going on with some of my choices.

I mean, BoI is somewhat like that but at least their items have names and more useful visuals.

Fun game, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It's been out in Australia for like 14 hours

yes but that would cost ~$2 more to buy from there

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Multiple copies of Neo geo golf

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Wonder boy is great fun if you like old school platform games that don't give you great direction and unforgiving mechanics.

It's great.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My only online problem with Splatoon2 is living in Australia I get put in servers with 7 Japanese players with mad skills way too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

also not directly switch related but omfg i cannot wait for this

thank you nintendo au/nz

• Locked thread