Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm hopefully going to have time to try the demo this weekend, but can someone explain to me why Splatoon 2 is so good? I've watched videos of the first one and it feels like an inordinate amount of time per match is spent just spamming paint onto the walls. I'm wanting to like the game and hoping it will just kind of click for me when I play it, but does it really have a lot of longevity as a multiplayer game where you can get really good at it or doing ranked mode etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Futaba Anzu posted:

Do you think ARMS has longevity as a multiplayer game? I'm trying to determine what games I even want to get on this thing other than Splatoon 2 in the near future and the competitive aspects of it really interest me, but it feels a bit bare bones in regards to wanting to keep playing long after release. Otherwise I guess I'll pick up Mario Kart or Puyo Puyo Tetris because I know for certain those games can hold up in the long run.

I like ARMS more than most people will, and I'd say it's very uncertain at this point. I said earlier that unless you like "getting good" at regular fighting games, you will unlikely find it has longevity. I really don't know what kind of balance changes Nintendo might do, but right now the fact that you gain super meter on whiffed punches is seeming like a big problem, and based on how Nintendo balance changes other "competitive" games, I can see them totally ignoring certain things. There is one really lovely stage that ruins competitive matches, and it's on a random chance of being a stage you play in ranked mode. For the game to have longevity I think Nintendo will need to take certain things seriously and listen to whatever competitive scene may exist.

Right now there is an issue/debate about whether tournaments should allow non-default arms or not. I don't really have a side on this issue, but ranked mode allows you to use custom arms, so if tournaments do end up only allowing default arms, there will be no online equivalent mode that is similar to tournament play...which will be bad for long-term viability of the game imo.

The Nintendo-sanctioned tournaments in Japan and the one at E3 are also requiring you to use motion controls. This is a big departure from any other fighting game scene where you can use pad, stick, hitbox--any input device you are most comfortable with.

Finally, I see almost no one streaming the game on Twitch at all. It's not super uncommon for a game like Street Fighter 5 to have no one streaming it outside of a major, and then suddenly it being on the top 8 of Twitch during a big tournament. Usually though the game will have significant numbers of people streaming it on release. Right after Arms came out barely anyone was streaming it.

It could basically go either way at this point. I'm pretty sure I'll get just around $60 worth of fun out of it even if the game ends up having no longevity, but most people probably wouldn't.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ventana posted:

This is overall a good post, but I wanted to focus on this bit. It certainly could be a big problem as it is in some other fighting games, but at the same time I can kinda sorta see why a dev might think it'd be okay in Arms. In other fighting games, if you whiff a normal at a distance then the opponent has to commit to something to punish it (either do a special move, or just to close in space). In Arms though, the general gameplay is already combat at a distance, so while it still takes a commitment it's more straightforward to do something about it.

There are of course lots of details that go into balancing out this sort of scenario (is the concept of whiffing attacks only going to promote wild punch spamming, are there suitable counters and punishes for that, etc), but at the least I can see a logic behind why they thought this might be an okay idea.

They actually just released a balance patch: it removed the lovely stage everyone hated from ranked, and it addressed a number of issues that people had. Overall a good patch that gives me a fair bit of confidence.

As for the meter building on whiff: there's a few problems specific to this game, mostly because rush attacks are REALLY good. Some stages that are larger do allow you to whiff really hard just to build meter. I heard

One of the things I'm the worst at in Arms is using my rush attack well (I tend to misunderstand how it works exactly and the best way to land it) but it's generally agreed to be super super good and possibly too strong. Generally if you have rush and your opponent doesn't, they have way fewer safe options until they either bait it out or just get hit by it. There's a close up throw attempt/rush option select right now that basically puts your opponent into a total lose/lose situation with no drawback, and I also feel like slower arms become extremely risky to punch with AT ALL if your opponent has rush.

In a game where you're supposed to be going for well-placed punches and focusing on a good mix of defense and offense, it feels off when you get into a match where your opponent just starts spamming punches as fast and safely as they can from distance to build meter over you. It's a way bigger problem on larger stages where they can build a good chunk of meter by spamming from the edge of the map while you waste time moving toward them (and thus building less meter than them).

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Please just ignore the Melee scene. It's not there to be accessible or cater to new players. No one actually likes it, and you shouldn't be offended or care about how they dick around with broken controllers and use CRTs etc. Just ignore them like you ignore other poo poo you don't care about at all.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

This is the initial update, just powered it on.

Also I think I just solved it by moving it literally next to the router instead of next to my TV which was maybe 7 feet away with no walls between them. I double checked and it seems like the switch can only connect tot he 2.4GHz network from my router, so that might be the issue. I live in a big apartment complex with 40 zillion different wifi networks and generally things on 2.4 seem to perform perform badly compared to 5.0., my 3DS actually does the same thing.

I might invest in a wired adapter for my dock.

grats on the switch!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Just beat Zelda, took me a month

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Going to have limited time with Splatoon today, I want to test it as well as I can to see if it's worth buying. Should I hold the joycons divided, or should I use the grip to hold them together (going to use motion control aiming)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Recon mode isn't open yet for splat2 right?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm pretty on the fence with Splatoon but will probably buy it.

I played the last test splat for most of the time it was on, and I kind of liked it. I used motion controls with split joycons, and I found that to be kind of awkward. I think I probably would like motion controls more if I practice it longer, but how awkward they felt was a pretty big turnoff for me. Still I wouldn't want to play it without motion controls because it would be so much harder to aim fast.

I also really didn't like how much downtime it felt like there was. The matches felt VERY short, which is good sort of, but I kind of wish there were a way to do a best 2/3 where the next match started immediately. It felt as if half the time I was playing was spent sitting there waiting for the next match to start.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Splatoon 2 is really good. I play with the joycons in the controller shell thing (motion controls on) and it feels perfect for me. Split joycons didn't feel good, and handheld with joycons on the Switch doesn't work for me either.

A bit of a bummer that I can't play it in handheld mode, but I'll deal with it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Played like first 4 stages of Overcooked with my wife last night. It's really good and fun. I feel like it runs at 30fps though which is kind of dumb? Seems like it's just poorly optimized maybe.

It's a very good co-op game if you like "production line" type stuff. The stages are very interesting and offer a ton of variety from stage to stage. Usually you have to make some kind of strategy for each stage that divides the labor a certain way, otherwise it turns into a clusterfuck where you block each other and get in each others' way all the time (like cooking in a kitchen irl)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Splatoon 2 is not worth it just for single player

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Got to the airplane stage on sonic mania and I just cannot get into it. I have good memories of playing Sonic 1-3 as a kid, but it feels more like a chore than anything else. I feel like the stages just aren't really challenging enough, it's more just about slogging through them.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm pretty on the fence about the Mario x-com game. It could end up being something I really like (it does look fun), but it could also turn into a game I realize after 3-4 hours that I never really want to play it again.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

really on the fence with this game. I can't help but feel like if it weren't the only "major" game since Splatoon I'd be way less tempted, but since I have so few options I just kind of want to blow the money and hope I like it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Dizz posted:

ARMS trip report: Not bad, expected way more than what it gives though.

Motion controls didn't mesh so well with me but the controller method is fine for me.

What's with games giving you tiny amounts of fun coins? I haven't played online yet but man I didn't expect pennies just for playing it on easy unless it gives more on harder difficulties.

If you just play ranked or "fun mode" (forgot what it's called) online you get coins pretty fast. With that said, you have to grind that "get new arms" game a lot to get all the arms with all the characters. The way you get the same exactly arms for each character is annoying and ends up taking forever.

My main issue with ARMS is that it ends up feeling like a super stripped-down fighting game. I don't really see a high potential skill ceiling, and the debate tournament people are having about default arms vs. custom arms is likely enough to kill any potential competitive scene even if the core gameplay ends up being deep enough for a competitive scene.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Can someone who didn't like Mario vs Rabbids weigh in and tell me why I shouldn't buy it? I try to avoid goon hype but I'm really close to buying the game at this point and worried I'll regret doing it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

cheese sandwich posted:

I found it really simple and I was a bit underwhelmed by it. I may have gone in with really high expectations because of everything I'd heard before I bought but it's probably just not for me. If you're not familiar with it maybe watch some YouTube videos or something because this poo poo really isn't cheap.

I put disgaea down because I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options and it's inspiring me to pick that back up.

e: also it's a mario game that doesn't let you jump

How far in did you get before you decided this? Did you just stop playing entirely and don't plan to play anymore?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I just really don't want to get a $60 game and decide like 1 hour in that it's not for me. Happened to me with Sonic Mania but it was only $20 so whatever. I guess I'll watch some gameplay vids like midway into the game

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you have xcom already? If you like it get the new expansion for less and rethink mario post hype

I liked the old Xcom games (like the really old ones that were brutally hard) but I didn't care for the new one really. I REALLY didn't like how the aliens spawned in clusters when you walked to a certain spot, and I didn't like how it felt like a full game would take like 50+ hours.

The Mario Xcom game looks maybe better because you have a set amount of enemies per battle, and because I can realistically finish the game if I actually like it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

There actually are bunches of missions in Mario + Rabbids where new enemies spawn in. I haven't played the new Xcoms so I can't really compare the intensity to that.

It wasn't the fact that new enemies spawned that bothered me. My issue was the way you had to min/max the fights like "I don't want to move there to spawn a new cluster" etc.

I think in Rabbids it wouldn't bother me really if they handle it properly. It just irked me how they handled it in the new Xcom games because I loved in the original Xcom (which had fog of war anyway) that the aliens all were moving around behind the fog of war and there was a set amount of them.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm gonna buy mario xcom, watched some vids further into game and the combat looks pretty fun

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If you remember I was on the fence about Rabbids. I'm pretty far into world 2 right now and I can report back that it's very good. The issue I had with X-Com spawning groups of enemies doesn't bother me in this. You can see they are going to spawn and they pop out a turn later, it's not like you walk into fog of war only to randomly have 5 more guys on the field fighting you.

I like the light exploration/puzzle thing, and I really like the way the fights are just the right amount of challenging. I also REALLY like that I will probably finish the game in two weeks or so and be done with it rather than just never finishing it if it were a 100+ hour game.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Just realized something dumb in Mario vs Rabbids. If you want to do co-op but are apparently mid-way through a certain world, you can't go back to the castle without losing your progress for the entire world. It seems pretty dumb and means I can only do co-op after I beat the game, or if I finish a world and wait to start the next one just to do co-op

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Does going back and doing the challenges in Mario vs. Rabbids before I beat the game make the rest of the game too easy? I just barely killed the boss of World 2 and it felt like I've been getting progressively more underpowered. I don't want to accidentally get too many things from the challenge mode and turn the rest of the game into a cakewalk though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

That gets boring fast. I miss a sense of progression. You have all your abilities 30 minutes into the game. How is this supposed to stretch for 100 hours?

You get new abilities when you beat the Divine Beasts. If you're feeling like you want more progression, I'd just go straight for a Divine Beast. Go Northeast and do the "water one" as I think that's probably the best first one to do.

I liked to have a sense of progression too, but a lot of the fun I had in BotW was just exploring the map, climbing up stuff, finding new villages and stuff to do, etc. I still generally worked toward a divine beast most of the time though rather than just dicking around.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm having a good amount of fun with Wizard of Legend. I've made it to the first boss several times but never beat any of them. I think I'll have fun playing this longer and trying to beat it, but I'm getting really tempted now by Enter the Gungeon. I have a kid so I have super super limited time to play, so I'm curious from people who have played both if one is just clearly better than the other or not.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

People were asking and I saw few people answer (correctly) about Wizard of Legend.

It's a really good game but it DOES NOT run well on the Switch. You can't 100% tell at first, but when a lot of stuff is on the screen the game drops frames in a really bad way. The fire boss is the worst offender, where you see her standing there and the next thing you know she's teleported across the map and has already hit you.

I really like the game but I have decided to just wait to play it until they hopefully patch it.

Aside from the switch-only bugs, the gameplay itself is really good, but the variety in bosses/enemies/maps is kind of lacking. I'm hoping there will be some big patch or DLC etc. that fleshes the game out while fixing those bugs. I don't regret buying it but unless you've played every other game like this and MUST play this on the Switch now, I'd hold off on getting it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yep you can also zoom in on all the princesses feet and take photos of them

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I couldn't get into mario tennis Soni just started playing Splatoon again and now I wonder why I even stopped playing it at all

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Mario Tennis feels a lot like ARMS to me.

I'm good at fighting games and really enjoy them, and both ARMS and Mario Tennis remind me of a fighting game. However, they aren't really as good, and while it's cool they make fund fighting game concepts like zoning and meter management accessible to most players, it's just not that fun if you already can play regular 2d fighters.

I had fun with ARMS for about a week, and then I realized that the skill ceiling just was not high enough, and that Nintendo didn't actually care about competitive play. They kind of tried somewhat, but ultimately it showed that there was just not enough there in the game.

Mario Tennis looks probably better than ARMS in this respect, but you know Nintendo isn't going to properly handle it as a competitive game even if it ends up having all the right stuff to be that kind of game. There will be some small issue that gets in the way, and Nintendo will intentionally ignore it so that the game doesn't get a real competitive scene.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Overcooked is great but imo not very fun with nongamers like my wife. She got too stressed out and didn't find it fun even though it's exactly my kind of game

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I want to like Fortnite but it plays so bad on sticks with no gyro. You often have to try to headshot people from hundreds of meters away where they appear as just as few pixels. The way the aim moves with a stick makes this like 100x harder than on mouse/keyboard. With gyro it would help sooo much :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I am so so excited for Killer Queen Black. It seems like the perfect game for me and I'd always felt annoyed that the nearest arcade cabinet for it is two hours away from here. I'm a bit nervous that they are changing so much about the gameplay, but hopefully it works out and doesn't ruin the game.

Has there been any word at all as to whether they'll add gyro aiming to Fortnite? I really want to get more into it but the stick aiming is so awkward.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I already got the feather but why does it not always update the map as I explore (after I get it from conifer)?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Echophonic posted:

It updates when you rest on a bench.

Ahhhhh, thank you! That was really annoying me

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm in the middle on Hollow Knight. I enjoy it and think it's good, but I'm certainly not at the point where I'd gush about how great it is, and I'm not entirely sure I will stay motivated enough to finish it. It may just be that I have so little time to play. I can play like 2 hours per day max, split into smaller segments while my kid naps or sleeps. I get pretty annoyed when I spend most of a session backtracking or getting lost for too long.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

In Hollow Knight the walk from the nearest bench to the soulmaster boss fight is insane. Again, if I had unlimited free time I wouldn't mind, but it really sucks having to re-walk that stretch every time I lose the boss fight. I googled and apparently that's like one of the absolute longest walks from bench to boss in the game, but if I knew it would ever get worse than this I'd probably drop the game entirely.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I just did that one last night, it was pretty short if you've opened all the doors. Did you break through the wall in the elevator shaft right next to the map guy?

Omg, thank you so much :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I was having just enough fun with Hollow Knight to not quit playing despite how much everyone was gushing about it in here.

It FINALLY really clicked for me ~8 hours in. Specifically it was trying to kill the crystal guardian, dying ten times to him even though he's not actually hard, and enjoying trying to optimize the run back to him over and over.

It's really clicked for me now though and I can't wait for my kid to go to sleep so I can play and explore more poo poo etc. etc.

• Locked thread