Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harlock posted:

Do I trust Bethesda and their optimization team or Square.

Where's the poison pill option.
Doom and Wolfenstein use Id Tech 666, which was built by loving wizards, so Skyrim won't really be a sign of whether or not Bethesda are really giving a crap about the Switch.

Speaking of third parties, the big Minecraft update won't be out on Switch today like it is on other platforms.

quote:

We’re working really hard with our partners at Nintendo to accomplish cross-device connectivity that is yet unprecedented in the history of gaming. This is very exciting work, but introduces lots of complexities to the development process. So, we’re continuing development work to bring Minecraft to Nintendo Switch and will release it once it’s ready.

EDIT:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Let's hope a loot box system :barf: never darkens any Nintendo game
You should probably avoid the Fire Emblem mobile game, then... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

btw where the hell is nuclear throne???
The game engine Nuclear Throne uses (Game Maker Studio) does not currently have a Switch exporter, and it was the first game where Vlambeer did all the ports themselves instead of paying someone to completely rebuild the game in another engine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

WHICH HOLIDAY

e: When it was basically just a logo on the Direct I assumed it was going to be 2018 at the earliest. If we get DOOM on Switch by the end of the year that'll be pretty incredible.
Doom for Switch is this year, Wolfenstein 2 for Switch is next year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The embargoed DF video apparently credits Panic Button with the Switch port of Doom. They're the studio working on the Switch port of Rocket League.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Off-screen footage of a WIP build of Doom from a press preview event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOdEkmTP0o

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Curious how big it's going to be on switch, it was at least 50 gb on PC.
More than 32gb, since they're not packing the multiplayer onto the retail cart, but less than the PC version since there's no Snapmap mode.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Official Bethesda statement on some Doom Switch details.

To summarize so you don't have to click through if you don't want to:
  • 30fps cap
  • Ported by Panic Button, as mentioned previously, in collab with Id
  • Single player campaign fits on a 16gb Switch cart, multiplayer is a 9gb download. So... 25gb max, then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is 16gb the maximum size a Switch cart can be? What else has Panic Button done?
There are also 32gb carts but they're apparently a lot more expensive for the publisher, leading to awkward situations like Doom and RE Revelations Collection requiring you to download pieces of them before they're playable, or the physical Switch release of Rime costing more than the versions on other platforms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Famitsu is reporting that Inside is coming to Switch. And iOS, but come on, man.

No further details yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

Smash 4 didn't even have a subspace emissary equivalent
Sakurai figured that most people just watched the cutscenes on Youtube, and put the resources towards the character announcement trailers instead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beastie posted:

Any one have an idea of what the Binding of Isaac patch was?
They added some of the Booster Packs from the PC version, a charge bar, some missing bug fixes, and also apparently adjusted the balance of Angel Rooms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those do not really count in this case. Both are 2D games with relatively simple art styles. I'm talking like full HD 1080p AAA games with 3D models and god rays in the lighting.
Not even Nintendo's games hit 1080p. :v:

All of the 3DS Pokemon games were in full 3D, and odds are any Switch Pokemon game will look relatively similar, but with more polygons and a higher texture and screen resolution. Don't expect it to look like Fallout 4, is all I'm trying to say.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zo posted:

i don't know what nintendo did but they finally fixed all that account poo poo. i once lost my account with a few cheap games and like $60 on it because i transferred it to a 3ds but a shoulder button i needed to use was broken, so i exchanged the 3ds but i couldn't transfer my account again and it was the dumbest loving thing. swore off the e-shop forever.

then last month i was loving around on the nintendo website and there was some kind of "account merge" thing and i don't really understand what happened but now my switch account has the stuff my lost 3ds account had, including the money.
Awesome, I didn't know about this. Thanks!

For folks who also didn't know about it: Here are the details

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Blaster Master, a new update is out for Zero to celebrate selling 110,000 copies worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwGku4g9GHo

As the video thumbnail says, it adds a boss rush mode (in regular and co-op flavors), more save slots and lets DLC characters call for SOPHIA.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Digitimes, a semiconductor-industry newspaper, believes that Nintendo has raised its orders for Switch production to 2 million units a month, and is likely to officially launch in China early next year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bdRDjElSI

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Do we know when the review embargo ends for Super Mario Odyssey? I need to know if it's a good game or not
It's not publicly known, and it sounds like NoA is being a bit stingy with review copies after a review copy of Mario & Luigi leaked online before the official release date. Expect reviews from big sites and publications within three days of release... I believe that was BOTW's embargo, so it makes sense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Nintendo really make a console that is completely and entirely about games? Does the Switch even have any features unrelated to playing games, in its hardware or software?

I mean if so then wow. Everyone should learn from them.
Reggie said in March that they were talking with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video, among others, but that games were still the focus.

I suspect that non-game apps will be few and far between, like on the 3DS and Wii U.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

magimix posted:

Isn't Dishonored 1 basically 'stock' Unreal engine 3? That thing would run on a potato at this point.
Dishonored 1 is UE3, yes. Dishonored 2 uses a hosed up hack-up of Id Tech 5.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/922433397120790528

Animal crossing direct announced. Probably the mobile app, could also be a Switch announcement since the mobile app is supposed to interface with one of the game (at least I think Nintendo said this at some point, maybe it is just "common knowledge" fan speculation)
The official Japanese website says that it's very specifically about Animal Crossing for Smartphones, and will not contain any information about Switch, 3DS or other Smartphone software.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

related: any outfit you wear will show up in 2d for this section, unlike other 2d parts that has mario's regular digs. just pop back into the ship and change
This seems to happen for 2D things in other worlds, as well. I just did the Lost Kingdom, and the Aviator outfit (which is bought in that world) showed up in the 2D bits as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

grand theft grotto posted:

I might be imagining this but I seem to remember around the time of Galaxy 2 there was an interview with one of the developers that stated they designed that particular game with the idea that anyone can beat it and see the ending, but anyone who wants to 100% it will find it a real challenge. If that's true, they probably kept that philosophy as they made more Mario games, including this one. 3D World was also really easy if you just wanted to clear the levels and beat Bowser at the end, but if you wanted to 100% the game then you had to work for it.
It's been something they've been doing for a while. Make the main campaign relatively stress-free, but have completing it unlock some pretty hardcore challenges. It's a clever way of doing things!

Meanwhile, on the topic of non-game apps that came up a while back, KORG and Detune have announced a continuation of the synthesizer apps they released for DS and 3DS.
https://twitter.com/YuhkiTakahashi/status/924434155198226432

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Are you supposed to be able to buy more than one moon at the same store? because I thought that there was a limited number of moons, but I got ~30 from the sand kingdom
You can after you beat the game, but I don't think it counts towards completion, just towards powering up the Odyssey.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In news that will surprise nobody (but still surprise them a little if they remember how the Wii U went), Nintendo has raised its forecast for Switch shipments to 14 million units (previously 10 million) by the end of its fiscal year (March 2018). For reference, that'll be more Switches shipped in its first fiscal year than the Wii U has shipped in it's entire lifetime.

If for some reason masturbating over raw numbers is your go, then you can find their Six Months Earnings Release over at Nintendo's Investor Relations site.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaewan posted:

Isn't cappy a boo wearing a hat?
According to the brochure stuff attached to the in-game map, Cappy and his fellow hat-ghost dudes are Bonneters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

Yeah, the studio responsible for the wario games (and the rhythm heaven ones) is easily the most creative in Nintendo. I wonder what they are working on right now.
The development division that did all the Wario and Rhythm Heaven stuff was merged with the main (Mario, Zelda etc.) development division in September 2015 as part of then-new President Kimishima's organizational restructure, so it's kind of hard to tell...

They had a producer role on all the 3D Metroids, so I guess Samus Returns would be their latest thing, sort of.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder how they handled Doom being like 80 gigs for Switch.
Switch Doom is a lot smaller due to the lower texture resolution. For the physical release, Campaign and Arcade Modes fit on a single 16gb cartridge, with an optional 9gb download for multiplayer. The eShop version is a single 13.6gb download.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bethesda posted a list of known issues and FAQ for Switch Doom, and hoooo, it sounds kinda rough.

• Large FPS drops in areas with lots of monsters and effects
  • Small chance of a "loud buzzing sound" during play
  • "Small chance" of a boss becoming immortal, requiring you to restart from checkpoint
  • "Small chance" of game crashing after firing the BFG
  • Pause menu may show up without user input if playing multiplayer on a bad connection
  • Having the game open "for several hours" can cause doors or other progression-vital objects to become non-interactive, requiring an app restart

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Squeenix are apparently fans of the Switch.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928235628549902336
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928235849967312896
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928236358115528704
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928236881195687936

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

If Squeenix kneejerked any faster for Switch they'd need a wheelchair to get to the exit. It's funny how many companies have said the same thing the past few days.
I believe it was a couple months ago that the publisher of Famitsu stated that a lot of Japanese devs were caught completely flat-footed by the Switch and probably won't have games ready until 2019 as a result.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, Ubisoft went in hard on Wii and Wii U original launch titles, I guess they finally grew a bit too skeptical with this one
According to Ubisoft's financial report for the first half of their 2017-2018 Financial Year (ending in March 2018 because Financial Years are weird), Switch games made up 19% of their sales - ahead of PC (15%) and just behind the Xbox One (20%). During the accompanying earnings call, Yves Guillemot stated that the publisher was "very happy" with Switch sales, and that they'll be releasing more Switch games "next year".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Remember that WSJ article a while back about how Nintendo were actively courting M-rated games for Switch? Yeah, we're not in the SNES Mortal Kombat 1 era anymore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/929187855288614912

Port is by Nicalis. Digital price will be same as on Steam (US$15), physical will cost more but will include some tat to justify it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait... ZombiU is an Ubisoft game. No! NOOOOO! :negative:
Don't worry, it rose from the dead a few years ago.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

the truth posted:

On another note, do SMO, Mario + Rabbids, or Splatoon 2 look better in docked mode? I have only used my Switch as a portable, and wasn’t sure if I have missed anything.
SMO runs at a higher dynamic resolution (900p max), has higher quality shadows and more detail at a distance.
Splatoon 2 runs at a higher dynamic resolution (1080p max).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Or in the case of Switch games, Day 1 patches occur because cartridges are real expensive and the publisher cheaped out on capacity.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

day one patches are for lesser companies than nintendo. just polish and QA to kingdom come
Mario had a day one patch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Has anyone actually figured out how much Switch carts cost? It wouldn't surprise me if mask ROM was cheaper than pressing a Blu-ray disc at this point.
Exact prices aren't out there, but Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad claims that once you factor in all the costs, a 32gb Switch cartridge costs the publisher 60% more than a 50gb Blu-Ray disc (an 8gb card allegedly costs about the same as a XB1/PS4 game).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

^burtle posted:

Why would you be interested in Dark Souls when you can be a fan of Bloodborne :dukedog:
Bloodborne was a collaboration with Sony, like Demon's Souls, so it ain't coming to a non-Playstation platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
NoA also posted a blog post with a bunch of info about the new character

• Locked thread