Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so I literally just connected to the JP Eshop in 5 minutes and bought a Japanese game with a foreign credit card. In any other console I would have to Jailbreak to make it region free and buy overpriced JP point cards at shady websites.

What the gently caress? Did nintendo finally get good at the internet? Or are they so bad this Good Thing is actually happening because of their oversight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

They're very bad at internet, but the Switch is region-free on purpose.

Region free is one thing, but I've never seen an online game service that took foreign address credit cards. Not even Steam will do it for my region, I need to buy poo poo through a gateway. I'm not from the US either, so I've always had to deal with point cards if I wanted to pay sane prices for games.

In here I just put my CC on the JP store and it was done, just like that. So much easier.

Policenaut posted:

What console would you have to jailbreak? PlayStation's been region free for 13 years and Microsoft eventually got on board with Xbox One.

I jailbroke the 360 for EDF4. It's also such a pain to change regions on the PSVita that Jailbreaking might have been actually easier.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Huh, I thought you had to use a JP payment method to buy stuff from the Japanese eShop. So thats not the case?

I'm pretty sure PSN requires a JP payment method, so I figured Nintendo would too.

Yeah, it took my credit card with no fuss at all. You can also link a paypal account from anywhere, from what I've tested.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the switch stupid like the 3DS though? Where if you lose your 3ds you have to go through a ton of hoops to transfer your licenses to a new one? Or is it like every other system, where you can do all of it online?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's pretty much the same as on 3DS. You still have to call Nintendo to restore your poo poo.

Geez, will they ever learn? I actually lost a 3ds and it's such a pain to restore the games to the new one that I didn't even bother.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

just quoting this to agree that all the 100% digital people are selfish bastards

You're the selfish bastard! I loan my entire console!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I consider it a $15 investment to allow me to continue procrastinating my plan to buy a console just for Persona 5. Maybe by the time I'm done obsessively Star Dewing, Atlus will announce a PC version like they've kind of teased/avoided the question of at interviews.

It's more possible than ever because they got bought by Sega, dammit :argh:

get a ps3

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

That's still buying a console, friend. Anyway, I also want to play HZD, and potentially Monster Hunter World, depending on which platform most goons end up going with for that.

But the actual console seller for me is P5 :negative:

Anyway, Switch is about to keep my busy for like the rest of the foreseeable year, between Stardew, Mario Odyssey in like 3 weeks, and Xenoblade 2 in like December.

These days you can get a ps3 for less than P5 itself, but yeah I'd say the PS4 is a more than justifiable purchase at this point. There's also yakuza if you're into that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Gungeon was originally Fall 2017, right? Cmonnnn

Oh lawdy no

I really don't care about gungeon. Too slow, too hard, too repetitive.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

15 dollars is a steal for a game like Stardew on the Switch.
8 dollars is grand fuckin larceny.

People abusing these kind of international deals meant to make game prices reasonable in lower income markets is why it's a loving pain in the rear end to buy import games. Or in my case any games at all

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's 2017. Importing games is not hard at all.

Depends on the country. Where I live, poo poo from play Asia takes 3 months to arrive and I have to pay a 60% import tax on it. Keep in mind that buying US games also counts as importing for me. It has never been easier, but it can still be a pain in the rear end if there's only physical options.

And I was talking about game prices. What's the average income in Mexico? It makes sense to have cheaper games in there to help people and curb piracy. If people that can afford the regular prices on their first world countries abuse this stuff, they'll just revert back to regular prices everywhere and add a ton of region locking bullshit again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

creationist believer posted:

I've used mine at several Hilton Garden Inns and Holiday Inns and got connected with their splash screens no problem.

It basically never worked for me whenever there was a splash screen for some reason.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine EDF on Switch so it's portable with split screen coop and local 4 player multi-Switch play in addition to online play

The Vita EDF games were awesome and it would definitely be a buy from me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

The main story is incredibly loving dumb but the sidequests have a lot of entertaining storytelling in them. On-foot exploration is fun. Giant robot exploration, despite what you might think is... not as fun.

But really the environments are super pretty and fun to run around in. If the groan-inducing story doesn't bother you, you'll have a hell of a time!

Why the hell are you guys talking about xenoblade chronicles X in here? It made me think it had come out for the switch. Did it?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Because someone asked about it, the Wii U thread is dead, and the next installment is coming out on Switch? :shrug: It's not so much of a stretch.

If they ported XCX and bayonetta 2 to the switch I would be able to forget that the wii U exists. The fact that XCX is bad means I'm halfway there anyway.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's obvious that they won't abandon the 3ds any time soon. I think the right question here is: Will there be anything to replace the 3ds once it's gone?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Mario Odyssey has Co op? With the second player playing as Cappy? Is that what I just saw in that trailer?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably the opposite. They write gannon with the double n in english to make sure people will not pronouce it Gay-None

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Persona is fun but yeah smt is way better

I'm about to press turn your head into a toilet

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All I know about musou games is that I can safely avoid them.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

What’s the best Switch rhythm game

Superbeat Xonic is coming out in like a month, I'd suggest waiting for that. It's from the DJMax people.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Enter the gungeon is extremely slow, repetitive and hard compared to the other games in the genre. I've beat Isaac, Spelunky and risk of rain. In gungeon at some point I noticed that at least 80% of my playtime was spent on the first and second floors with the initial gun. It had the potential to be the best of the genre but it feels like the worst one to me.

The guns are very fun, the art style is amazing but I kinda feel it's too slow and unbalanced for me. It also messes up Co op because it's way too unforgiving for my wife or casual friends to play.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The wired gamepads for the switch are like $30 though. Worth the price and work natively on PCs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

Waluigi’s entire character is that he’s a never-was who exists in the shadow of a second banana. Putting him in a main series title outside of a cameo or reference defeats the entire point of him.

Wario is his own character at this point and Nintendo has better things they could be doing with him than having him be a supporting player/collectible mill in a Mario game.

Good. All wario games are better than mario games

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need a wario game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I played through Mega Microgame$ again earlier this week, my gf and I love it. It's still one of my favorite games ever, I swear I still see new poo poo in it all the time, Hell, I didn't even know the Mario Paint flyswatting game in its entirety was a hidden unlockable until this week. It'd be easy to put it on a phone but I'd love a new console version, especially with the HD rumble and poo poo.

Yeah, the studio responsible for the wario games (and the rhythm heaven ones) is easily the most creative in Nintendo. I wonder what they are working on right now.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you guys don't care about wireless gamepads, the Horipad is an official licensed gamepad with a very similar form factor as the pro controller for $28. It doesn't have motion controls, but it's excellent and works natively on the PC if that's a bonus for you.

And you can remove the d-pad cover and they become 4 separate buttons, if you're concerned about wrong d-pad inputs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jade Mage posted:

Not a fan of Mario in portable mode. I've grown too attached to my spin throw and I don't like doing that to the screen. Otherwise the controls feel great on pro remote and seperated joycons!

There's a poo poo ton of buttons available and they force waggle controls on you. They should map some button combos to do the spin throw and up or down throws.

I've been playing most of the game Co op and it works for the most part, but it could have been so much better. There are parts of the game like the tank where it gets very frustrating since the person controlling Cappy suddenly can't do anything at all, the motion controls when using one joycon are awful and you can either move or aim.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

This is almost a cool design but the normal human face kills it for me. Makes it come from a weird abstract creature to someone wearing a really stupid outfit.

Also wtf is going on with that belt? Absurd.

She has no waist to put on a belt, sounds reasonable to me

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am so loving ready for a new Kid Icarus game. Uprising is still the best 3ds game in my heart.

Will they ever let sakurai leave the Smash Prison though?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the first one was a fluke then. I'll still get it anyway, I guess. I only need to hear the English voice acting first.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want a blade Rick

I'm blade riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
XB1 had a shitload of old rear end dudes and it was better for it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

It's the story of their lives. Japanese publishers are slow to announce support for next generation consoles and even slower to actually deliver the games. It's one of the reasons they've fallen behind Western publishers and upstart developers like CD Projekt and Techland. It's mutually beneficial for publishers and platform holders to be proactive and build an audience together for their games.

It's still amazing to me how techland managed to turn things around.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, the RE pack caught me by surprise. 2 decent resident evil games for the price of one, and with local Co op? Next week?

Does anyone know how the co-op thing will work? Full campaign or only special modes?

I kinda felt the switch was lacking in good campaign co-op games (odyssey's tacked on lovely co-op doesn't count) so this might be perfect.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, superheat xonic is amazing but the controller layout of the switch makes it confusing as gently caress when you have to reach for the analog on each side. This game was clearly made to be played on a Sony gamepad.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

English trailer came out for xenoblade 2. Sounds british enough for me.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a.lo posted:

why did that man stab that child in the heart...killing him

Nothing personnel, kid

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge dumbass and preordered (and preloaded) xenoblade 2. When does nintendo unlock their releases? During the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Like yesterday I got the Gungeon pro-tip of not opening any chests or buying anything on floor 1 until after you take the boss out and it really improves things. The boss drops great loot and then you run around opening chests and head onto floor 2 ridiculously geared up. You have to be able to vanilla floor 1 but, like, yeah, just keep at it until that's not much of a problem. Switch version is great.

My main issue with gungeon is how slow it is and how you spend 90% of the play time with the pea-shooter unless you get a good (very rare) drop. That strategy just makes things worse for me.

• Locked thread