Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I bought a case: https://www.bigben-interactive.co.uk/bigben-products/gaming-accessories/eva-carry-case

Super discreet. 4/5 would buy again.

I just spent half as much as I did on my switch on a plug and play GameCube HDMI adapter because there is no sign of GCN VC on Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHoTf570234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Real hurthling! posted:

hopefully not in blurry 720p on my 4k screen

Only reason it's blurry is because most TVs don't support integer scaling.

Except some Pana's and Sonys and then they only interger scale at 1080p.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Wait, does it have the 4×4 square block feature of New Tetris?

I don't believe it does.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Third option, I am forgetting all the different modes there were in past Tetris games.

Still, it's a great game, buy it.

No, PPT is pretty awful relative to The New Tetris and Tetris DX. You people just haven't played a Tetris game in a long while.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 28, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How to print money:

> Release every Gamecube game on the Switch. Especially Metal Gear: Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime, Godzilla, REmake, RE:0, and Mario Sunshine

I just spent hundreds of dollars on a gamecube, wavebird and gamecube hdmi mod to play Metroid Prime for the first time and omg how do play a fps with no strafe!?

Playing Sunshine next and then maybe Twin Snakes (I've never played a metal gear game and I'm dubious about how well it has aged).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Just want to thank the person in this thread who made the case for getting a WiiU in addition to the Switch. Did not realise WiiU can also play Wii and Gamecube titles. Between PC, Switch and WiiU I find it hard to fathom I will ever run out of GOOD GAMES.

As my BotW adventure has come to an end I started Metroid Prime. And people complain about Zelda feeling empty! Also jesus christ F-Zero GX is even faster and harder than I remember. Gimme that poo poo remastered with online play on the Switch Nintendo!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 22, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

enojy posted:

So far the only quirkiness in the writing is the use of the term "sucked in!" Like 3 or 4 times in succession in the beginning, for comedic effect. I'm assuming it's some Australian colloquialism for "gotcha, bitch!"

Yes, you are correc.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

enojy posted:

I'm torn. Geese are assholes, and while I'm generally a huge softy for animals/pets and would sooner cause harm to a human being, I'd set that aside to drown/kick/stomp a goose. If it weren't extremely frowned upon. Same goes for deer.

I dunno if I wanna BE the goose, though...

https://mobile.twitter.com/aarontwe...ut-geese-really

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Dizz posted:

The WiiU was good and fun for what it was. it's a shame it went the way it did but it still had good and enjoyable games.

In what way was the WiiU a shame in a way that affected me the end user and player of these good games?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Voxx posted:

:siren: If you use a format conversion cable or have your switch plugged into recording hardware do not upgrade to 4.0.0 :siren:

You'll be stuck at 480p while docked

WTF does this mean? I use a HDMI to VGA adapter, will that mean I'll be limited to 480p?

Edit: holy poo poo I would have been irate if I had updated, thank you for your post!!!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 22, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is changing the dns the only way to disable firmware updates?

https://hackinformer.com/2017/03/31/bypass-new-nintendo-switch-fw-update/

Gotta disable update because I will lose my poo poo if someone else accidentally updates and I'm forced into 480p indefinitely. I cannot be locked into 480p mode 5 days before SMO comes out.

Edit: can I still update games or is it going try and do a system update at the same time?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 22, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I've also disabled wifi and put into flight mode.

I also booted into recovery mode which seems to delete any update that has been downloaded and not yet installed.

If I can't play SMO or the next big game in 720p I am inclined to ditch my Switch.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 22, 2017

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you ever consider this might be something they'll fix?

I did.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Violen posted:

Has anyone come across a solution for the 'stuck at 480p' thing for monitor DVI to HDMI connections yet? Got hit with this unpleasantness after firing up the Switch for Odyssey tonight. No issues of this nature at all before the update, changed nothing about the setup in any fashion between when it worked and now. The biggest thread in the Switch subreddit about this still has streams of people saying it's not fixed for them even in 4.0.1 as the latest replies. I didn't notice any solution hiding anywhere. The biggest thread in NOA's support center has a pinned response from a moderator that's just generic computer monitor advice which contradicts like half the replies in the thread explicitly stating they tried the fix suggested to no effect, before the suggestion was made, so that's not promising on Nintendo pushing any fix anytime soon, since we also went another update with no fix in-between the issue presenting itself with 4.0.0. This is my only option for any display outside of handheld. Supremely bummed.

aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm still running 3.0.2 in flight mode with wifi and autoupdate disabled even after the supposed 'fix'.

Literally no way I could play at 480p.

You must be miserable with your Mario.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

You can't get all the moons in a level on the first run through, right?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is there a limit to how many consecutive mid air hat jumps you can perform?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have played Super Mario Odyssey for twenty minutes and already I have had more fun with it than I did with 40 hours in Breath of the Wild

I had the same experience however I still consider BotW a masterpiece; staggering in scope, detail and art direction.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Feenix posted:

In other news, anyone here heard rumblings about these post-process HDMI's? Sounded like snake oil, but I've seen some screenshots. I grabbed the Marseille mCable Gaming Edition (1ms response time.) Apparently they do quite a lot for Switch in Docked mode with regards to smoothing the jaggies using something that is (or is similar to) SMAA. This helps in motion with some of the shimmer we see in games like SMO.

I wish they would make one of these that added support for integer scaling.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Voxx posted:

Oh hey they fixed a lot of people's issue with hdmi adapters with 4.1.0 (myself included). Now I can finally enjoy odyssey on a big screen.

God do I take the risk and update? Sure most issues are resolved?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Infinitum posted:

The fine tradition of region based Selects that we'll have to import.

This was one of the reasons I never played Captain Toad

But Captain Toad got an Australian release

Knock yourself out: https://www.gamesmen.com.au/wiiu-captain-toad-treasure-tracker-19975

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Stan Taylor posted:

The only chat worse than framerate chat is tick rate chat.

Splatoon tick rate chat is the worst.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

President Ark posted:

i also don't think i'm the target market

Really? What makes you think that?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Pro controller. I thought the motion controls were pointless except for one moon but you can do them all with the pro controller anyway.

The pro controller motion control for spin is aces but.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

What the hell is wrong with the people over there at Resetera.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

KingSlime posted:

has there been a good or enjoyable video game-based movie yet?

The first installment of Resident Evil (avoid the rest).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Policenaut posted:

Digital Foundry took a look at Payday 2 on Switch vs the PS4/Xbox One versions, if anyone's curious to get a demonstration on how it fared here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0IWS45e8x8

Tl;dr: It's not great. If you want an FPS on Switch, you should probably get Doom.

I'd be happier if they dropped the res from 900p to 720p in docked mode to bump up fps.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

The Lobster posted:

They only came with the Mario Odyssey bundle, right?

Pretty sure also sold separately.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Infinitum posted:

Protip you can use a Keyboard+Mouse for Doom

Can you use one for worms?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is there class action against the pro controller dpad yet?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Infinitum posted:

If you can pirate a brand new release game with 0 impunity, you can bet your arse most people will do so regardless of what moral high ground they choose to put forward on the internet.

Emulators are to be expected, but what everyone really wants to ask is if they can pirate Switch games with this hack.

Nothing to do with morality. I pirated games when I was in high school. I am now a 34 year old salary man and have a million other things to do than bendy paper clip thing to save a few hundred $$$. I just click buy when I want something. It's hard enough finding time to play my Switch let alone trying to ready lovely guides on homebrew installation.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Any details about whether the big N will be selling gamecube controllers and the adapter again?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Commissar Ken posted:

The gamecube controllers they've shown around this new Smash have a different design on it than the ones they sold for the WiiU Smash so i'm assuming they're gonna sell it all again.

Thanks, didn't notice that. Now might be the time to sell my stockpile.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Was De Blob shown at e3?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Infinitum posted:

^^^ A pox upon your house! :argh:

Top of the page wheelin' an dealin'

I traded BotW for $72 credit (which I used to preorder Mario Tennis the game) at EB games which is more than it sells for new.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Kirios posted:

What else still needs to be ported to Switch from Wii U? I feel like we can safely through that garbage console in the place where it belongs (Hint: It's the garbage).

Wii U can play Gamecube, Wii and Wii U even some Switch titles (bayo etc). There’s enough content across those platforms (the back catalogue is vast) to last a video game player years. I bought one last year after I got my Switch and have played 3D World, Windwaker HD and Captain Toad. I still plan to play Twighlight Princess HD, Pikmin 3, Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy. It’s extremely good value for money. Also, good luck trying to get one when the Gamecube/Wii generation get nostalgic like the nes and snes generations did.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 24, 2018

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

that ivy guy posted:

Also there are third party Wii cables that give it a direct HDMI output

Nope.

You need to get the system modded with something like the WiiDual to get HDMI out: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61787

That said 480p on 8k TVs will look horrible whether analog or digitial.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 24, 2018

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

That's just an analog to hdmi converter.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe a video about Tetris has sold me harder on VR than anything before it.

I can't believe I'm gonna buy VR just to play Tetris.

Hi I’m the guy that spent $600 on an N64 with hdmi mod just to play The New Tetris (which until this moment I assumed would be the best Tetris ever created.)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Today discovered that ‘For the King’ is getting a Switch release.

You people are in for a treat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnRRE137m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

s.i.r.e. posted:

The problem is once that screen scratches you can't do poo poo about it, which is why you get a screen protector that you can replace.

Or you can buy a new screen for 15 bux: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-LCD...5.c100005.m1851

I have never put a screen protector on any device I own and have never broken or scratched a screen ever. My girlfriend on the other hand breaks at least 3-4 screens a year whether she has a screen protector or not.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 9, 2018

• Locked thread