Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The only issue i've had with splatoon2 is it disconnects in queue sometimes and boots me back to the menu. haven't had any connection issues or lag during the actual games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

so is RBI Baseball really that awful, or just bad compared to other baseball games that don't exist on a handheld?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

drat I wonder if i should get thimbleweed or dig

Thimbleweed is great for as long as it's doing the 'lucasarts take on the twin peaks formula' thing, but at some point in the 2nd half it decides that the boring nerd character is now the main character and proceeds to go off the rails badly.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

deftest posted:

I've been doing a lot of travelling zeldas recently and am wondering whether I can up my screen game.

Is it possible to plug my Switch into my laptop and use it as a monitor? Do I need some kind of casting app to do so? I see all sorts of pages on using the laptop as an INPUT, but not as OUTPUT.

words? wisdom? please and thank you!
You could probably get some sort of USB video capture device that has HDMI in and dock the switch to that and run it in a window. Isn't that how people stream games from switch?

edit: I don't know what the latency is like on those devices though, that's the issue I guess.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 5, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

5.7 GB :psyduck: Pretty sure there are actual wizards working at Nintendo.

Is that small for a Mario game? Mario doesn't usually have a ton of detailed textures or other big art assets, the way the games are stylized.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

except for Mario Galaxy Nintendo's always followed their major successes with a curveball rather than a retread, I'd expect the same with Zelda.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BotW Hyrule had a population of like 100 people, pretty weak rear end kingdom if you ask me

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BotW's music is really good. Hateno village is my favorite town theme in the entire zelda series and same with Vah Ruta for dungeon theme. people who dont like it because they wanted to listen to the zelda theme blaring in the overworld for 100 hours are insane.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Shrine music is best imo

e: well, not best maybe, but real chill and awesome

the shrine music is the dungeon theme from Link's Awakening iirc

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

I found it to be incredibly boring. To me adventure games are a lot of fun in part because of their edgy humour, Thimbleweed Park seems like it was written to appeal to a massive group of overly sensitive politically correct wussies. It gets a lot of the point and click adventure game tropes right, the presentation is solid, but you're better off playing something funny.

Now I sound like I only like potty humour, so I recommend Leisure Suit Larry, Sam and Max, or literally just about anything else.
i thought the first half of it was on par with any of the classic point+click games but it goes off the rails really badly in the 2nd half, just a complete tonal shift from a fun lucasarts-meets-twin-peaks mystery to a botched self-parody.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think the "show, don't tell" approach of BotW's story is masterful, it feels weightier to me than something like Witcher 3 even though it has 1% of the narrative

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Nintendo spent the past 2 decades backpedaling from the Mario 64 formula, it's good that they seem to be embracing it again with this game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Feenix posted:

Oh so it means actually take a picture of this picture dialogue. Not “go find this area and take a picture.” Ok. Thanks.

[Ed] one more dummy question: I found the painting in Lakeside that leads to “Luncheon Kingdom” I have this weird compulsion to do as much as humanly possible before I see a new area, so I came back. Is that a place you travel to via the Odyssey? Or is it only accessible in Lakeside?

[Edit2] also I get why mechanically it might not be warranted, but I get this impulse to want to double jump or float.
Feels a little weird missing that, mechanically.

the warp paintings act as previews of other levels, you'll get there properly eventually

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Steamworld Dig 2 is the best game on Switch not made by Nintendo

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Wendell posted:

Can you replay that part?

yes, there's an NPC in the building you can talk to to replay it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I have Zelda physical because it came in a bundle and my plan is to never buy another physical release again so I never have to remove it from my switch

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mario 64 has aged really poorly visually like almost all n64 games but it still is like top 10 all time for fun movement. speedrunning is a big part of what's kept it relevant

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think Odyssey has a good soundtrack but only steam gardens, new donk, the water levels, and the two vocal songs are really memorable. I can't play the sand kingdom or luncheon kingdom music in my head right now despite spending hours in them.

Edit: add Bowser's castle to that list too, that one is good.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I suspect the Zora sequence is in there because they wanted that to be the 'default' first dungeon for people who don't have a preference, as it makes a good first impression. It's really the only thing like that in the game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Is there a reason why my Switch doesn't seem to be tracking play time for SMO? On my profile page it still says "first played 6 days ago" under SMO where it has the # of hours played for all my other games. Did one of those recent system updates change that feature?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rime is cool but it wasnt very well optimized on PC so I assume the switch version isnt ideal. It's also fairly short even for a $30 game but what's there is very nice. Would recommend if you liked other 3d puzzle games like The Witness or Brothers, it pulls from the same bag of tricks. If you don't like those games then this isn't going to be the one to convince you.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Loads of people I know who are playing odyssey kind of feel like they’re done around 600 moons.

I think that’s the point where you stop finding moons by just running around and finding new places and when you have to do the “walk over to this totally innocent looking area and jump up to this one little square with no warning and ground pound and you’ll get a moon, have fun figuring out the other 4 moons you’re missing here”

i never got stuck finding them thanks to the map and hints from toad and the parrot. i stopped when i started running out of environmental/platforming ones and it was mostly minigames and such left, those aren't really what I play mario for.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Looking at grabbing a Switch soon. I'm taking for granted that I'll want a larger microSD card. If I get the one I want, is it as simple as swapping it with the one in the system before booting up the system the first time, or are there other steps I need to take first?

there's a dedicated microSD slot for adding a storage card, you don't have to replace anything.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

RatHat posted:

Does any USB charging cable work for the Pro controller? The one it comes with is too long, I'd prefer to use a shorter one.

EDIT: Looks like it uses a unique plug. Fantastic.

It's USB Type C which is not unique but still different from most existing devices.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rolo posted:

Should I get Sonic Mania if I loved Sonic 3/and Knuckles?

Absolutely

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

does the switch dock actually have anything in it that improves performance or does the system just run at a higher clock speed while it's docked?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

bef posted:

I heard hat in time is extremely good, like builds on m64 the way Odyssey does good. Wish it would get a port to the switch tho

Hat in Time is decent but I think it got a reputation boost just from being better than Yooka-Laylee which lowered the bar. I didn't think it was particularly similar to any of the Mario games though Sunshine would be the closest.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

KingSlime posted:

why do I have to rest at an inn to level up in XB2

I know there is fast travel and all but for the love of god, why?

The inn is actually a cleverly disguised difficulty slider, it lets you choose how much of the exp from quests you use so that if you want to do a lot of side quests without out leveling the main quest, you can. That's why.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sensual Simian posted:

Playing XBC2 continuously reminds me that I am very willing to forgive relatively slight graphical limitations in lieu of a vast and entertaining environment/story/character cast. Most of the time there is so much to capture my attention that I hardly notice the poorly rendered grass and poo poo.

I think this game has some great examples of how art direction is more important than the technical side of things - the graphics are clearly last-gen in quality and without the stylization tricks that propped up Zelda, and yet Fonsa Myma at night is prettier than anything I've seen in a current-gen RPG.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I really enjoyed XC2 and felt like it was more than the sum of its parts, though I know I'm a sucker for good environment design and music and those (plus the combat system) are where I think most people can agree it fires on all cylinders.

A lot of the weird flaws with the game are things that could have been ironed out with a bit more dev time, I do wonder how much they rushed it to get it into the first year release schedule and/or how much it was impacted by Monolithsoft working on Zelda.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Is it fairly simple to put a bigger card into the Switch down the road? I'm more interested in buying a switch ASAP to get my Mario on and get a bigger SD card/repurpose an existing SD card eventually.

yes there is an extra storage SD card slot behind the kickstand, you don't have to replace anything

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Xenoblade 2 has the general tone of a PG-rated adventure movie, there are a couple mildly lewd scenes and the dialogue does contain occasional curse words if you care about that but it's fairly wholesome overall

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Online gaming uses a tiny fraction of the bandwidth that streaming video does, it's probably safe.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

XC2 is basically a shonen anime story but it still goes down the weirdo JRPG lore rabbit hole in the 2nd half like all the other xeno games

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Odyssey, how much is left after you get the ending? I know there are literally hundreds more moons to get, but are a lot of them super-quick/buyable moons or are there a lot of new challenges, too? Boss refights or anything like that? (I also know there are extra-hard worlds like any Mario game, I just mean in the kingdoms I've already been to)

the postgame ones skew a bit harder but there's still some quick/trivial ones too. there are boss rematch ones, yes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

If you just sleep the console midgame the clock keeps running for some reason. I always hit the home button before I sleep my switch by habit and that seems to stop the clock.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

zenintrude posted:

I know we're all talking about new stuff right now, but does anyone have an opinion on Thimbleweed Park? Thinking about grabbing it today for some nostalgic variety in my collection.

The first half of the game is pitch perfect "lucasarts does twin peaks" and is worth playing the game for. There's a tonal shift in the second half where the game really loses its way from that main premise though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ColdPie posted:

I'm thinking of getting Rime. I like chill games and puzzle games. Anyone played it?

it's not very well optimized on PC so i assume Switch isn't either. solid game but not essential. similar vibe to The Witness where the puzzles incorporate perspective, 3d space, lighting etc but shorter and not as difficult.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Where were you still gated reviewers said the same thing nobody I've seen has been able to figure out where this is supposed to be.

there's a few mandatory skill checks towards the end of the game but they're all passable with the main characters + common blades, of which you'll have dozens at that point. there was only one where i couldn't already pass it when i hit it and it only took me like a 10 minute diversion to get the skill i needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The most obvious way to move on from BotW is to keep the open overworld design and physics/interactions engine but bring back some of the classic Zelda items and dungeons. There's no reason why they wouldn't be compatible and it'd be the best of both worlds.

I think the weapon durability system is something that works in the context of this being the exploration and survival themed Zelda, and this is Nintendo so the next game will likely have an entirely different focus and/or gimmick.

• Locked thread