Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

Zelda had motion control issues cause there was no press y to reset options you had to cancel out of whatever thing you were doing.
Just use the right stick to get in the general vicinity, and then use motion control to fine tune. I wish Splatoon had this setup - I really don't like that vertical camera control with the stick is disabled when motion controls are enabled. I'm pretty much just using the roller without motion controls because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This is how it goes with basically every game I play with one of my friends. He's quite good at Tetris, and I'm fairly good at puyo (the only game system I had as a kid was a Game Gear, and the only game with good replayability on it was Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine).

I basically get one shot in the beginning to build a combo big enough to bury him. If it's not big enough to finish him off, and he can dig down to the trash layers, I'm completely hosed, because each row of trash only has one empty square, so he can just go crazy on combos until I'm dead.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

In Mario + Rabbids, do cutscenes or world interactions ever change based on who's in my current party?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The Lobster posted:

So this is off topic but I'm trying to get a TEFL certificate (teaching English as a foreign language certificate) so I've gone back to school for that and I'm currently in the class leading up to the practicum, which is supposed to teach us various teaching methods, how to make a lesson plan, etc. One of our assignments is to make a 50-minute lesson plan and then teach the "best" 12 minutes of that plan to our class. It's not until a little later in the year but I'm hoping to use my Switch in it. The teacher said we should incorporate something that interests us, for example if we can play the guitar or something. I immediately thought of the Switch. So I thought I would use 1-2 Switch to teach the present participle. I am counting balls, She is tilting the controller, He is eating sandwiches. It's something that has salvaged a game I otherwise have been unable to play. I brought a guy I am thinking of dating over to try and unlock all the games (which we did) and we had a pretty decent time with the game, but some of them were really obtuse or not fun.
Whatever their native language is, I'm sure they have words for "counting", "eating", and "tilting". You don't need to demonstrate these concepts, since they already know them. You just need to tell them the 1:1 replacement word in English. It's through repetition and practice that they will permanently incorporate these new words into their English lexicon, not through a short video game demonstration of the concepts.

That said, video games with lots of text are a good way to learn a new language, but it has to be the students playing through them over a long period of time so that they see the words over and over again. You can't do it in 12 minutes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I'm sure you didn't mean to do this but I don't think she needed you to mansplain the concept of teaching language to her.
I didn't know she was a woman, and obviously she does need someone to explain it to her because she asked whether a video game depicting people eating would help someone learn the word for "eat".

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Then you should also have read more closely that the proposed lesson was not about pure vocabulary but involved the present participle, which because it describes action occurring through the present moment, actually benefits from live demonstration to separate it from simple present tense
No, it doesn't.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly don't know what kind of teaching experience you have, but I am going to guess that from your advocacy of repetitive drill memorization, a method that has been deprecated by language teachers for many years even for children, that it isn't much
I never advocated repetitive drill memorization, I said that acquiring new words into one's lexicon requires repetition over a long period of time. If they never see the word again after the first time they see it, they won't learn it. I didn't say that they should say the word "eat" 20 times in a row. But they also don't need to be infantilized by having a video game character demonstrate what eating something is.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The next five days seems like plenty of time for the Republicans to formulate and execute a new strategy for dismantling the American healthcare system and a fifth of the economy of the world's most powerful nation, yet also not nearly enough time for a role-playing golf game with 25-year-old graphics to become available for download on a popular gaming console.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Posts complaining about "_____ when" posts are worse than "_____ when" posts, surpassed in terribleness only by posts like this one and also those complaining about posts like this one.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Does Golf Story have a way to pan or zoom out the camera while in shot mode? I'm basically just trying to avoid moles and hazards on each shot, and then suddenly I'm on the green. I'd like to be able to have more of an overview like in NES Golf.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I use it for marking spots for the longer segments of the most extreme left/top possibility, and then use the cursor to count out the most extreme right/bottom possibility, and the marked off squares are invaluable for finding sections of guaranteed overlap.

I also occasionally use them if I get to a point where I can't figure out how to proceed, but somewhere I have a 50%/50% shot of guessing. I use the empty square markers to play out one of the scenarios until I finish the map or a contradiction occurs.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

MY ideal Botw sequel is a game using the same world, but set 100 years later when civilisation has recovered somewhat. Also the shrines are all busted up and now serve as entances to an immense interlocked labyrinth beneath hyrule.
The world of BotW basically is recovered. All of the towns are filled with people going about normal daily life with access to clean water and without food shortages. The only difference from before the calamity is that they can't go very near the castle and they're sometimes attacked by extremely weak and incompetent moblins while traveling between towns. If you have to live in a post-apocalyptic hellscape, you could do much worse than BotW Hyrule.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 17, 2017

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Geektox posted:

It's pretty much just left and right, up makes the disc land and I've got no fuckin clue what down does
You can make it land with up? I thought that disc mini-game at Cheekybeak where you need to put it in the target area was too difficult. I was waiting until it descended naturally, which seems to happen at a sort of random time during its flight and then drops very suddenly, so it took a lot of effort to get it in the target. It would have been much easier if I knew I could just dump it down at any time.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

Arms under and around the legs, hands hold the switch a little past her belly button. Please wait for my erotic switch novel "50 joy cons of grey"
Please do not play Mario while going down on your girlfriend/wife.

Some things are meant to be intimate, private experiences not tainted by distractions. Try instead to just get her off early in the morning to get it out of the way so that you can devote yourself fully to Mario.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

When do the pre-loads unlock? Midnight eastern time on Friday?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Good idea. Yeah, it slides right back out of the Joy Con grip.

Well drat, does this type of thing fall under the Nintendo warranty for the system or no?

Edit: Nope "Nintendo's warranty does not cover physical damage"

Well... this is loving annoying. I may just order a replacement JOycon and swap them out
Try contacting them anyway. They're pretty good about service and trying to keep their customers happy. That bit you quoted is probably more about things like a kid tossing their Switch out of a moving car window or stepping on it or something.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They should give her restroom breaks occasionally.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Shrines and the drat korok seeds feel a bit grindy in retrospect. I don't think it's a grind in the typical sense, but as far as Zelda games go it feels like a bit of a slog to do/get everything.
I appreciate the korok seeds because they have been helping me break my completionist OCD. When I heard there were 900ish of them, my brain just said "nope", and I was suddenly content to just find the ones I happened to come across.

I still did all the shrines, though.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

Just wanted to remind people that Pinball FX3 (free download)'s promotion with the three free tables ends tomorrow (12/19). I downloaded it last night and have been having a blast.
I'm really enjoying it. Portrait mode pinball in bed while listening to podcasts in the hour or so before falling asleep is perfect. I just need to 3D print a stand that's better at holding the Switch sideways that I can set on my belly like an odder.

But I don't think I can justify the price to re-buy the tables I already have on Steam. Tesla's my favorite, but it only comes as part of a $10 pack, and I don't like any of the other tables. I'll probably hold off until some of them go on sale.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on Stern Pinball Arcade for Switch? I've heard the Steam version is a broken train wreck, though I don't know the specifics of what makes it so bad. I tried the free Frankenstein table on Switch, and it seems fine, I guess - feels just like classic Pinball Arcade. Has the Switch version fixed some of the problems, or have I just not encountered them yet? I'm considering getting Ghostbusters and Star Trek.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

whoa, Lost Sphear comes out already in January? Thought that had a while to go but maybe was thinking of Octopath. I tried the demo and it seems alright, how did everyone else like it
I liked the combat. Like traditional Final Fantasy ATB, but needing to take into account some Tactics-esque positioning.

I can't say the little bit of story drew me in, though. Lots of talking. I just can't get into games where there are tons of NPCs to keep track of anymore. Making "lost" areas of the map appear with memory items also seemed kind of stupid.

If general goon consensus says that it's amazing after release, I'll probably buy it. But otherwise I think I'll pass.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

psutify posted:

I’m not loving the Pic-a-Pix demo, which is a shame because I was looking forward to color picross.
Me, neither. I got spoiled with Picross S that automatically grays out numbers as I fill in squares in the row/column, and I use the placeholder markers extensively. Pic-a-Pix has neither.

I also don't like that there isn't a border or small space between the numbers and the grid. I keep thinking number squares are grid squares.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BristolSOF posted:

I can't believe Nintendo is making this mistake.They're following up perhaps their best year ever with a MASSIVE gimmick.

And who is this even marketed to? At a price point of 60+, and the resource of cardboard, surely not little kids. Parents aren't going to shell out that type of money for a paper toy. I have a hard time believing it'll appeal to adults over 30 - seems to lego-toyish for that audience.
It's for children to want, and for the adults in their lives to buy it for them for their birthdays or Christmas.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was watching some old rear end Giant Bomb videos and when they had the Splatoon reveal from E3 2014, and said that the motion controls were "really natural and accurate" everyone snorted derisively. I would have had the same reaction, honestly, idk how they figured out "horizontal aiming with the right stick, fine tuning with motion controls" worked, but it does.
It works and feels natural because its how the human body operates for almost all tasks. It's so fundamental that we don't consciously think about it. Large movements by arms/legs/torso to get in the proper general orientation -> smaller movements by elbow/knee/wrist -> precision movements by the fingers/feet. For example, if you're typing and want to move the mouse cursor, you move your whole arm to roughly over where the mouse is, and then your wrist gets your fingers in place on the mouse, and then the fingers move the mouse very precisely. You're not even aware of all the individual steps you followed to achieve the result you wanted, but it all flowed together naturally.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Freakbox posted:

I'm seriously tearing up. He's had a terrible year and this will make him so happy. :unsmith: Thread Victory!
Be aware that super scopes require a CRT.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ventana posted:

Switch thread, I want to get a microSD card so I can start getting everything digital on switch, but I've never gotten an SD card before. Choosing the size stuff is fine, but does the read/write speed matter very much? Is there an acceptable standard for those before I just get one?
According to this, Switch has some internal speed cap, and you won't see any benefit by going above UHS-1 speed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

MML2 seems to be a digital download even if you buy the cart. How big is it? It feels like the first legacy collection should be small enough it wouldn't push a cart up a size
Now I want a Mega Man Legends 1/2 port. Also for them to make Legends 3.

:smith:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mega64 posted:

The only issue with the Pro Controller is the D-Pad, and it seems to be fixed in newer iterations (though you'd have to check the model number to see if it's new apparently), plus older ones can be fixed by opening your controller and applying some tape if you're adventurous.

Otherwise, the Pro Controller is perfect. That said, if the JoyCons are fine for you it's not game-changing enough to put a ton of extra money on it, plus 8BitDo has solid third-party controllers and adapters, so you might consider one of those, or just wait and hope you luck into a good deal for the Pro.
How does the 8Bitdo adapter work with a PS4 dualshock if I also have my PS4 hooked up? Do I need to disconnect power from it so that it doesn't turn on?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

jetpackhewy posted:

You aren't wrong, Portal 2 needs to come to Switch. Ideally bundled with the first game.
We're getting a new game in the Portal universe, so it wouldn't be surprising if we got Portal 1/2 soon.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bridge-constructor-portal-switch

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Is this new? How have I not heard about this...
They came out about two months ago, but they haven't really been advertised much besides maybe the Jurassic Park tables being released for FX3.

Pinball FX3 gives you three free tables, or at least it did at launch. Stern Pinball Arcade gives you Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

FX3 has pretty good online stuff, with tournaments and whatnot. SPA not so much.

Overall, I really like FX3, but I couldn't bring myself to buy tables again for a new system (some of them would be for the third time). I might bite the bullet if they ever do Steam-style sales where selected tables cost $0.99, but I doubt we'll get that any time soon.

I bought Ghostbusters on SPA, but haven't played it much. Seems decent enough, though.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

man nurse posted:

The line of “classic” mini consoles they’re making ain’t portable. Virtual Console when
Yeah, the portability is the thing. I bought SMB Arcade for Switch, and it is so much better than I thought possible. Pixel graphics are perfect for portable mode, and SMB even has a cool little filter to emulate how it would look on a CRT.

The Mega Man Collection is going to be a day one download, even though I've already bought it for 3DS. The dream is a proper VC, but I'll take even retail individual re-releases as long as they're on Switch. I'm just never going buy a standalone console that has to be played on a TV. I've moved beyond that now.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

content posted:

I've gotta do the dpad swap on mine. SMB just doesn't feel right with those buttons.
Yeah, you're right about that. The visuals are perfect, but the controls feel a bit off. I wish they'd do a special left joycon version that puts in a proper d-pad, and swaps the d-pad and analog stick positions. Sure, it won't really work as a standalone split controller anymore, but I think there are enough of us willing to make that sacrifice.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're not doing co-op, remember to use jump + down to ride on a friend's back and effectively get access to all their moves, R/L + A to dismiss a friend immediately, and A/- when powerless to turn a friend into an edible ability hat.
Kirby sounds like he's a bit of a dick to his friends, tbh.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Takoluka posted:

This is like saying Mega Man 2 is Mega Man 1.5, Mega Man 3 is 1.6, and so on until Mega Man 7, which is just a Mega Man 1 reboot with new bosses, with Mega Man 8 being Mega Man Reboot 1.5.
Mega Man should have followed the Alien naming convention:

Mega Man, Mega Men, Mega Man 3, Mega Man: Reboot, Mega Man vs. Kirby, Mega Man vs. Kirby: Reboot, Proto Man, Mega Man: Covenant

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Also Marx is a bad boy and Kirby should NOT be friends with him. I am concerned.
Have you seen what Kirby does to his friends? It's a fate far worse than being his enemy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feenix posted:

Arcade Archives Punch-Out. I am having trouble finding any data on it. (Videos/pics) Is it going to be some vertical "Watching a portrait-shot iphone video in landscape" kind of thing where half of the screen is just black on both sides? Or has it been reworked for the Switch screen?
I don't think they've released anything other than the announcement it's coming. If I had to guess, it will be full size lower screen, with a black bar on the side where they'll put a miniaturized top screen. They might have a portable vertical mode that's similar to the original.

EDIT: Looks like full size side-by-side with thin black bars on top and bottom.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/punch-out_is_your_next_nintendo_arcade_archive_releases_next_week

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 29, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ugh. Thought we were getting arcade Punch-Out!! today, but I guess it's only Japan.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

The only thing I really don't like is the UI which is quite hideous, kinda glitchy, and generally a hot UX mess.
Sounds like Pinball Arcade is a very faithful port of the PC version.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't have one myself but I'm definitely picking one up when I visit the US (they don't ship where I live)

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/MAGIC-NS.html
If you're in Europe, you can get an 8bitdo wireless adapter from amazon.de for €20.

I got one a few weeks ago, and I really like it so far with my PS4 dual shock controller. Celeste is so much better with a proper d-pad.

obi_ant posted:

What's a cheap way to make my many XBox One controllers work with the Switch? Is the button mapping pretty much the same as the Pro Controller? Also, I have my XBox One and Switch fairly close to each other, how can I make sure that I don't accidentally turn on my XBox as opposed to the Switch?
For the dual shock, at least, to connect to the Switch requires manually pressing the 8bitdo adapter button while the adapter is in the Switch dock and then turning on the dual shock while pressing the "Share" button. This causes it to forget its connection to the PS4. To re-connect to the PS4, so far the only way I've been able to do it is by connecting it by USB while the PS4 is already turned on (took me a while to find the nearly invisible 'on' button on the front of the PS4 Pro). It's not as bad as it sounds, though. But if you want to go from one console to another, you do have to physically get up and press the button on the 8bitdo device that's in the Switch dock or connect the controller to the PS4 by USB. You can't just sit back and wirelessly have things work out just with some controller button presses, as far as I can tell.

XBox One controllers would work very similarly to the PS4 dual shock controller, I imagine.

EDIT: Looks like the 8bitdo adapter only works with Xbox One S/X controllers, and not vanilla Xbox One controllers.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 11, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

That's probably about one euro per table, though, so if you really like pinball it'll keep you going for a few years.
Pinball Arcade just lost the rights to Bally/Williams tables, which are the best ones and most of their catalog. I love pinball, but can't really recommend that anyone drop money on Switch Pinball Arcade right now. Pinball FX3 is really good though, if you enjoy pinball even when it's a bit video-gamey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

The intense matches I had in Aces were more fun than the intense matches I have in 1v1 Rocket League.

Tennis fever. I still have it.
That's probably because 1v1 Rocket League is garbage. 2v2 is okay, but 3v3 is the default setting and most popular for a reason.

• Locked thread