Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
edit: God drat it I posted this in the wrong thread, but I might as well leave it it. It isn't 100% out of place. I am referencing Splatoon 2 here:

I don't normally like shooters at all, but goddamn if this game isn't fun as hell. I rented it to give it a try and I will be purchasing it immediately when I return the game. I'm only a level 13 player right now, but I'm really enjoying the the multiplayer game and collecting weapons and gear. I'm excited to re-roll my powerups or abilities or whatever on those soon too. I've only barely played Salmon Run or the solo Canyon poo poo, but those seem really cool as well. League Gear and Ranked Play will neat to check out too. Do most of you stay out of those last two, or are they pretty legit? I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I can get to a B- with ease. Is Turf War the best mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Thanks for responding. How long after the splatfest does my shirt disappear? It seems like I can abuse the shirt a bit to get faster and cheaper new abilities after wiping the slate for less than the usual 20k.

Which ranked gameplay are you doing then?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I definitely need to make my 20k real fast then and buy the ability to turn all four of those slots into ability chunks to reuse and then repeat that cycle a few more times.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

a7m2 posted:

Why 20k? It only costs 2k for that shirt.

I mean without the splatfest shirt, it costs 20,000 to free up the ability chunks usually. The spatfest tee is when it is suddenly only 2k (or some smaller number). Praise jesus

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

You can play that Rabbid / Mario Mashup if you're really thirsty. It's a very different sort of fighting gameplay though.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I never had a PS4 and I don't mess with Steam as much as I used to, so I have been happy with a few of the indie titles I had previously not played, like Isaac and Shovel Knight.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Considering the secondary market also just sells the chips programmed for you and any android phone can write the downloadable data for you anyway, I can't believe any adult has ever spent over $5 on one. I know some people are into figurine collecting - I suppose. I can see wanting a Guardian for your desk or whatever.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Honestly Mario Odyssey AND the Yoshi game look rad as hell. I'm super psyched. I've always had a soft spot for Kirby too, but I don't think it looks as exciting (hoping I am proved wrong).

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I did it once before to grab another DLC for the same game. It was that genie last time. I download them for free and then immediately delete it. I just want to be able to get it again in the future, should I ever want or have a need.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

There is also clearly a demo of Master Blaster Zero for anyone on the fence. I agree, it is fun to play. I love how you can leave your vehicle and there's like little rpg zones amongst the platforming. I still haven't bought it though.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I hear people bitch so much about there not being enough titles, but we know about like 80 so far, and I personally have more than I can really handle already and I am still planning on purchasing 5 more games that are already out there.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Splatfest: the only shooter where you can try spray your opponent down with cum after 'baggin em.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I finally bought a Pro Controller last night and I'll be god damned if it doesn't feel amazing. Literally a game changer for me. I look forward to trying out every game with it just to compare. I likely won't use it much for Arms, but that's only due to the way that game does motion support. It seems perfect for Splatoon 2 though. I also imagine Mario Kart gets quite a boost and now I can race three people at a time locally as well.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

My Pro Controller Dpad has been perfectly fine. Thank god it isn't an across the board issue, but that does suck for people who got a janky one. I wonder if it's more common with people who got them a while ago or not.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah, just give your brother the new one ;) Tell him having pristine is worth losing HIS progress, but not yours.

But for real, not currently, unfortunately. Nintendo themselves have an internal method of doing it very easily, and have ported the data right over to new devices for some people's returned units in the past. They haven't given any access to that or let anyone handle their own save data yet. It would be a game changer if they did and you will be sure to hear a lot about it if it does.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I got my last ancient core to upgrade stasis on Ruta. You're likely getting ahead of yourself in trying to kill that Lynel with electric arrows though. Just stealthily sneak around the trees when he isn't near them and you can pull shock arrows right out and run away without ever engaging that dude.

I want some older titles to just get released for the Switch. It would be awesome to get some of the older Zelda titles like Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword (My bad if I got any of these names wrong) and then Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario Maker, Paper Mario, Sunshine Mario, that Yoshi Yarn game, etc. The older Kirby and Pokémon titles would also be awesome.

There are tons of indie titles that would rock the house on it that can currently be found on PS4 and even iOS and Steam. FTL would be cool . Hyper Light Drifter would be the poo poo. Katamari Damacy would be really fun. Hotline Miami would also be perfect for the Switch.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

it seems like they dropped the ball with getting people super excited about the Vita. I've even met some people who own Vita don't know they can use it for their PS4 in a Wii U-ish way both as a controller and as a remote unit or that it will at least try to work from anywhere, as opposed to being in the same crib as the Wii U- or am I tripping. Can Wii U attempt to use wifi to link up to a system at home while you're at work? It looks like it's very easily confused with the PSP.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 10, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I actually find my Switch can get stupid loud.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Right? I've already got 8 games I really like to play on here and I've got a handful more I already want to get in the e-store before I even consider what's coming out in the next few months. It might help that I really neglected Steam and never had a PS3 or PS4.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

In that case, we are going to need a sexier UI. This won't do at all.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I personally found that that my Pro Controller d-pad went from borderline unusable (at least in Puyo Puyo Tetris) to completely fine once I stopped treating it like an actual d-pad and started treating it like 4 separate buttons. I think whatever design flaw this d-pad has involves the central pivot, and when you roll your thumb on that pivot it starts triggering incorrect directions very easily. This might explain why different people are having different experiences.

It's a bummer because actively avoiding rolling my thumb on the center completely defeats the purpose of having the d-pad instead of the 4 joycon buttons, and it kind of tires out my thumb after playing for more than like 20 minutes.

This is absolutely what is going on. The people who are complaining the most about the controllers are rolling on the d-pad instead of precisely pressing the buttons (while complaining about precision, mind you).

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

This is what keeps happening to me in blaster master for example. I am not touching Up at all and yet you can see how the game is responding.

You're absolutely not pressing the upper corner of the right or left button on the dpad with a decent amount of force when this happens? It never happens to me on accident. I can force it to happen though if I forcibly press just the corner of a button. I can make it happen with the down arrow too, but only if I firmly press the absolute corner of the button or roll my finger into it instead of just pressing the button.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mine does this if I press right but roll towards up, even though my thumb appears to be in the same position. If I firmly press right it works fine.

This is exactly what is actually happening. It is possible it's worse with some controllers but it's also very likely it has to to with how people are pressing the button. I'm not saying it couldn't have been designed better. You shouldn't be able to force it to miss-click and it ought to help people out more who press buttons in the corners instead of just dead on. Maybe they will indeed make an improved controller for people with less precision in their button pressing if the complaints keep stacking up enough.

What I'm really saying is that the problem is clearly both with the controller and with where people are pressing. You ought to be able to press any part of the button you want to - I agree with you. I'm just saying you can press it more accurately and this won't happen to you anymore.

Oh poo poo, another demo is out for the US store. It's for Rayman Legends. The demos have all been pretty awesome so far.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The game isn't out until September 12th. Do we normally get demos before the games? All the ones I had seen previously were for games you could download right now.

Edit: I have repeatedly agreed with you people that the design is flawed. I can't help it if you've been pressing buttons half assed your whole life on top of better dpads. I've figured out how to play just fine on my defective pad that you still seem to be struggling with. I sympathize with you. I really do. I'll buy the better pad when it comes out too. I'm just glad I'm not stuck pressing the sides of buttons in the meantime.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The d pad for sure sucks. I'm just saying you can just not press the sides of the buttons in the mean time.

It seems like the Rayman demo can only be downloaded from the link in the news app. You can't search for it on the e-store.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

This demo is really cool so far. I won't bring up the dpad again. It wasn't really my intention to defend it so much as to make the best of a bad situation. I was definitely teasing people who seem to hit the sides more often than square on, but for real - there should be no reason for that to not work just as well as a dead on press. We all know that. It's obvious. It's more likely people are simply pressing the buttons differently than there being a certain percentage of extra defective controllers. It doesn't make anyone better or worse as players though. It's just weird that they dropped the ball here when the rest of the controller is on point. That's my final word on it. I swear.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I'm not sure what the definitive bit is yet, but holy hell just when I thought the demo was maybe finished it revealed a bunch more depth - at least to someone who has never played the game before. There appears to be some ability to choose other players, levels and gameplay modes by the jumping into various picture frames after you beat the first gorgeous level. There's King Foot, Murfy's Touch, Teenises in Trouble, Toad Story, and Castle Rock, which are all playable in this demo. Teensies in Trouble is the first one you experience when you fire it up. There's seven playable heroes and one to unlock in the Heroes painting. This is some polished, fun poo poo. It's amazing it's not 50-60 bucks. It's even got couch co-op with up to 4 players in the demo? Hot drat.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 14, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I see the Rayman demo does show up in the Coming Soon section of the store but you can't search for it. Weird.

I hadn't seen anything about that Piczle DXgame before. Pic Cross could be really relaxing on the Switch. I've only messed with it a bit on my phone in the past. Anyone have that for another system or know anything about it? It comes out before Rabbids at the end of this month - the 24th.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Don't you bastards even joke about it being PM.

What's Retro City Rampage DX like? Is it fun?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I just want to remind people that the 33% off sale for Graceful Explosion Machine is over at 8:59 PST on August 15th. (tomorrow)

How many of you have pulled the trigger on some of these 33% off sales? It's just enough that if I have just a passing interest I consider it. I'm not too hot on I am Setsuna due to reviews, but Grateful Explosion Machine and Tumbleseed have my interest. Should I just get them both? Tumbleseed's sale dies on the 17th.

Is this Troll game supposed to be an absolute poo poo show? It looks like it might be the worst actual title on the eStore when it drops.

edit: That Sonic review is hilarious. Are all of his like that? I just got a boner for a game I already had a boner for. It's boners all the way down, folks.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 15, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Bluetooth doesn't work with headphones right now out of the box. You can use adapters though I think. You can plug into the headphone jack directly though. I don't know about USB, unfortunately.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The dock scratching is likely overstated but a protector isn't a bad idea at all. Why not? It might be due to people docking it roughly in a hurry. It might be due to warping of heat (no confirmation whatsoever on this) and it might be due to people bending the dock inwards when they bring it to places as they travel since they want to rig it up to more TVs than one. You likely won't experience it, but if you do, it is usually on the side of the screen in the black area outside the viewable area , not like anywhere that it would be in the way.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I don't hear much about the Yoshi game from you guys. It looks really awesome. I like the idea of a platformer with both a front and a back and obviously the art style is an interesting quirk as well. It looks beautiful and relaxing to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6yCGpxi0U

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 16, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Skipopatomus posted:

Kamiko is cute and fun for $5 and each character has a different attack style so there's some replayability but not much. I've been wanting to try thumper since I first saw the trailer but I'm afraid I'll suck at it.

Wonderboy looks like a terrific example of diff characters with diff attack styles and considering the retro mode and modern painted mode has all kinds of replay ability from what I can tell. It costs more than 5 dollars but its still pretty cheap. Do any of you have it yet? I am curious what people think of the game here. I agree about Thumper because I hear it is indeed hard.

For the $25 in the eShop, are you wanting a solo experience, couch co-op, online play or maybe all 3?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Should I buy GoNNER or Slime San?

I enjoy them both in their own right, but Slime-San is better for super quick playing since the slime closes in on your fast. It also holds your hands infinitely more on telling you where to go, but there is something nice about the discovery and unfolding mystery of GoNNER. They are both fantastic.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Why do some of you people think that physical is superior outside of being able to sell the games again? I see random people drop this comment all the time. I'm not being sarcastic. I am wondering if there is something I'm merely missing. I get that if you don't like a game or think you won't play it after beating a campaign again. The vast majority of my games sofar have a shitload of replayability and couch co-op love for the future. I'm just not seeing it. The Lego City Undercover is the first game I considered getting physically because I figure I am less likely to play that game once I get 100% on it, but even then the game is really fun to treat like a GTAish clone. It's also one of the heftier downloads. I have BoTW as a card and that is it for now. I wanted to have that game to play right away and just bought it without thinking. I wouldn't mind it as a digital since I will always want it, but it was a much larger file to ever have to download.

edit: Oh man. That clear case is beyond sexy. While I was there I stumbled onto this adapter that I feel like is a genius idea. I am surprised I had not seen this yet. I had seen alternative docks, but this thing is a great answer for really unleashing the portable multiplayer gaming aspect when you don't just want to table top it and don't want to drag the big dock around. I imagine its also very helpful for doing Twitch style streams.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nin...69e48aec7&tpp=1

I think I could also get behind those little joycon grip things. Has anyone been using any variety of those at all? Good? Bad?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 29, 2017

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

The pro controller comes with its own USB C charging cable doesn't it, or did I hallucinate that and actually buy mine separately. Or are you wanting a spare or travel option? Has anyone gotten any of the car charging USB C cables? I thought that might be an interesting option, especially ones that have another USB port available for other poo poo.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I'm for sure renting the Mario Rabbid Xcom for a week just to see if it's my kind of game or not. Renting is a terrific option if anyone else still has local video and game rental stores. Mine has free kids movies and sells/rents porn, so that explains a lot.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Lakbay posted:

I don't think video game rental really exists anymore for the most part and your only options are Red Box (don't have switch games) or Gamefly (glacial shipping/receiving times, competing with other customers who want the latest video games so you might not get it quickly) at least in the US

I literally have a video rental place that I can rent games from. Note I said "mine." I for sure recognize how rare this is though. Family Video is what it's called. https://www.familyvideo.com/ They have stores all over Illinois. I feel very lucky to even have the option. Videos there are $1 to rent. Kid's stuff is free. Games are less than $3 to rent for the entire week for me right now since I made a new account after they purged my old one. I made an account there just to rent Switch Games to try out Lego City Undercover, 1-2 Switch, and Splatoon 2. It lets you scratch an itch and you know right away which games you should really just go buy.

In fact, I'm gonna go rent it right now before they close so I have the game for the weekend.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Beastie posted:

Does yours have a Marco's Pizza? The one in my hometown has one and it's awesome that they will bring you a movie and a pizza.

It does actually. High Five.

• Locked thread