Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Wendell posted:

It’s strange to withhold reviews until the last second on this game. They are practically guaranteed to be glowing, there’s no need to trick people into buying before they see the bad reviews!

I swear everything they've done in 2017 is to build hype. Like of course Odyssey will get mostly 10's, the only reason to embargo reviews is to unleash a flood of perfect scores on launch day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

To be honest I'm surprised there's not a second playable character after the 10 year post-game tradition of unlocking Luigi in Galaxy 1+2 and 3D Land / Rosalina in 3D World

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Augus posted:

probably because of the extra work that came from designing all the different costumes and making them fit Mario properly

Stretch the models 10% vertically and change some reds to green

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

A Big... Dog posted:

Okay folks. I'm in Germany, and pre-ordered the Mario Game. My timezone was UK when I did that, but I've set it to Berlin time. When can I play the Mario Game?!?

I'm excited for Mario Game.

If there's a way to get it early by changing your switch region I'd honestly probably forego my physical copy and just do that

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

you can make a new account with country of residence as japan and buy it on the eshop there. it's unlocked

Somebody convince me this is a bad idea??

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

play-asia gave me 5,000 yen cards within minutes

Did you have to buy a couple? Eshop price is showing as like 6458 and the biggest cards I can find are 5000

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

i bought two, yeah. figure i'll use the credit toward an early xenoblade 2 unlock

Actually ended up trying this for the hell of it and play asia declined every payment method I tried

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I think Amazon.co.jp may have cottoned on to us Americans buying games from them to try and break street date by a couple hours

This is real poo poo. I tried about every japanese eshop method the internet has to offer and they were all declined at the final step with weirdly rude error messages

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My card got declined first time I tried to buy there, and it looked like they were turning it down, but it was actually Discover complaining and not play-asia. You might want to check that? Play-Asia sounds sketchy as gently caress but I've never had anything but good experiences with them (pro tip they have super cheap Windows 8 keys and you can upgrade an 8 key to 10 for free so if you know anyone who's pirating Windows but doesn't want to...)

I actually called my bank when it was first declined (figured that's what had happened) and they said they didn't even have any attempted/declined charges from them

So then I tried to use paypal and they for whatever reason declined that too

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That sucks, sorry I can't help :(

Oh no worries dude, I'm not too busted up about having to wait like 12 hours hahaha

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh yeah, that's launching as part of their online service next year, which is $20 a year, though limited to NES games to start

Do you get to keep them or is it like having very inconsistent access to a late-90s rom site

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Mario's weird looking ballsack has been around for a very long time.

You don't suddenly sprout a raccoon tail from picking up a feather.

What does a feather do to balls then

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lelandjs posted:

Whelp my payment finally failed on Amazon.co.jp so I guess I’m not playing MARIO tonight after all.

Oh well. At least my Best Buy order shipped!

After bending over backwards for japanese eshop credit (and failing) all day I realized it goes live on the US eshop at 9pm my time

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

lelandjs posted:

...well ok immediately after getting a message stating that I had to confirm my payment info, and then getting a failure message, I get sent an email I can’t read... containing a download code. Holy poo poo!

Well now I resent you instead of empathizing with your plight

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

I have been doing a lot of traveling via Planes, Trains, and Buses with my switch. It has made all these trips seem like no time at all, way better than all the other stuff I've ever taken with me before.

The difference is unreal

Like "I guess I could play my 3DS if I get really bored" vs. "nice, I still have 3 hours left to play stardew valley"

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the Switch hits that 14+ million sales figure in its first year then a lot of stage time at E3 next year is going to be companies scrambling to show off what they're making for the Switch.

The first year of the switch has been loving unbelievable after supporting the Wii U the past 5 years. Being a nintendo fan has some crazy ups and downs

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

It really has. Could the Wii U have been saved with better marketing? It simply confused too many people, and the launch wasn’t anything special.

They did what I figured they'd do and immediately ported all the best Wii U software onto the switch for the 90% of people who never touched one

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Ventana posted:

Imo the Wii U was still cool and had good games. Switch is better but I don't think of the Wii U as much of a down

Nah I loved it, it was just palpable how not-popular it was for the entire duration of its run. Seeing switch consistently outsell PS/Xbox (and get lots of third party support year one) is weird as gently caress to me

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zore posted:

The only games I really want ported are XcX, Smash (which will happen at some point) and Captain Toad. Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 as well probably.

I want them to port DKC Tropical Freeze but mainly just because it bothers me how many people missed out on it

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I buckled and bought Odyssey. I guess I'll throw my hat at things or something once it gets done downloading?

Probably a misstep on your part, I've heard nothing but terrible things about that lovely game

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not in the business of comparing two extremely different games to find which one is "better", but BotW impresses me more because it took a franchise that was really limping along and revitalized it. 3D World might not have been that great but Mario has never really fallen to the low point Zelda was at.

What are you talking about? Famous gaming magazine Famitsu awarded The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a perfect 40 out of 40 score.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars had a bunch of really absurd stuff going on. Basically any scene with Booster.

Weirdly enough it had a really similar wedding scene in it. Got a lot of flashbacks to SMRPG from Odyssey in general

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

I can't believe the save function in Odyssey requires you to waggle specifically to the southwest and if you waggle just west or just south it deletes your save. These motion controls are out of control

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Kins posted:

• Small chance of a "loud buzzing sound" during play
  • "Small chance" of a boss becoming immortal, requiring you to restart from checkpoint
  • "Small chance" of game crashing after firing the BFG
  • Pause menu may show up without user input

Congratulations to Bethesda on producing a switch port that sounds exactly like a loving Tim & Eric skit

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

The Kins posted:

Squeenix are apparently fans of the Switch.

I would really like it if this meant localized Dragon Quest

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

enojy posted:

More Best Buy Black Friday Nintendo poo poo I missed earlier:

$19.99:
Disgaea 5 Complete

I recommend this one big time. I'm not even a fan of disgaea or weeaboo stuff in general but this iteration is literal perfection and has gotten about 60 hours out of me

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I loved Disgaea The Original and I'm a weeb, no doubt there, but nowadays too many numbers or items or strategy or whatever just makes my head spin.

I'm not a fan of strategy games at all (weird right) but I really enjoyed the demo for D5 and basically came away from the full version with the impression that it's what Saint's Row would be if it were a japanese SRPG

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will admit, like, when people were talking about Skyrim being on the NX I took that as an immediate sign those leaks were fake because it sounded so outlandish. Guess time makes fools of us all

Early third party releases on Nintendo platforms are always unpredictable as gently caress so I didn't take it as too outlandish of a concept. The first year of the Wii U was basically one mario game and a bunch of weird-rear end ports of like Deus Ex, Assassins Creed etc, so I feel like I've kind of lived through the Switch's 2017 already

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I hope we see some more oddball pitches out of Nintendo this coming year. I'd like to see an F-Zero game get released on the Switch.

We're getting Metroid Prime 4 and a new No More Heroes in 2018, this is the part where you're grabbing too many treasures from the Cave of Wonders while its tiger mouth closes

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Just make a really big Mario + Rabbids sequel. Do it Mario + Rayman even, incorporate the weirdness of Rayman in on it. Maybe have Mario characters travel into a dream bubble. Do it bigger and deeper -- the core gameplay is really solid, and I love the concept of a non-RNG-based XCOM title so I'd like to see the engine refined and played with in future titles.

I've bent over backwards to not buy Mario + Rabbids for months (and it looks loving amazing), but my disdain for Rabbids is real as gently caress. I would 100% not be able to play it due to how much they kill my vibe whenever I see them at all

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Zore posted:

The Rabbids in game are honestly pretty well done and not obnoxious.

alf_pogs posted:

i went into the game a rabbids cynic and came out a true believer. they are unapologetically the worst and somehow endearing all the same.

Thanks, I legit might give it a shot at some point after hearing this. I had watched some youtube videos of gameplay a while back and was just getting pissed off whenever the Rabbids would show up

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The Rabbids are good. Can't wait til they're in Smash Bros :)

Nevermind

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Well poo poo I think that was literally like every bug it had

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

I haven't had any crashes but I'm also still on Y1. The save times have been a mass pain though so hopefully they cut them in half at least, and even that would still be a tad long.

I was getting the crackly audio thing whenever I'd play for a long time

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

the Hulu UI is better than Netflix.

I avidly use both and will never understand how you reached this conclusion

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Understandably haven't seen a lot of discussion of skyrim on switch but like drat, it serves an entirely new purpose as a handheld game.

Those radiant "kill some bandits" quests seemed pointless as gently caress to me back in 2011 but they're revolutionary on the toilet

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As far as bugs or glitches in the game go, I've had spiders teleport on top of me (while outside), twice they were already dead. I know I don't mind.

Don't know why I can't stop laughing at the thought of giant dead spiders falling on top of you as a loving glitch. Like "yeah game is mostly fine but sometimes it rains spiders"

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

KingSlime posted:

I impulse purchased Skyrim, bye bye $64

Figured it would motivate me to get off my rear end and do some work (I called in today because meh)

Are you saying that taking a 64 dollar hit motivates you to earn the money back, or that owning skyrim functions as a productivity booster

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone remember how far apart the first BotW DLC pack reveal and the release was? Seems weird we still know next to nothing about the upcoming one and its supposed to be out before the end of next month.

My take is it was meant to release alongside the champion amiibos but missed deadline so they're scrambling to get it out in time for holiday season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fallout 4 still feels pretty janky so Bethesda hasn’t come that far.

Bethesda needs to get their poo poo together before their games become synonymous with '3D Sonic game'

Fallout 4 had the same distinct lack of gameplay/engine improvement that I remember feeling back when Sega's contemporaries were all rapidly improving their 3D platformers and they were putting out Shadow the Hedgehog

• Locked thread