Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I find I need line-of-sight for it to work. If I pick the controller up off of my desk and don't turn toward the dock, it doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have the battery grips and want to give a recommendation? I was wondering if they were more comfortable for split Joycon play.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If those guys had a working website or another product that wasn't just a rebranded knockoff thumbstick attachment being sold on Amazon, that'd be a lot more impressive.

Video game Kickstarters are where money goes to die.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love how the Switch knows what color your controller is. Does the Splatoon Pro Controller have a different icon?

Picked up Death Squared to play with a friend. It's a really fun co-op puzzler with a good sense of humor. Physics can be a little janky, but overall was a good experience. We made it through most of the story mode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So how does the Jackbox stuff actually work on Switch? I know the PC ones require phones and such to join rooms, is it the same way on the Switch? Meaning, you'd need the Switch on a Wifi network in order to play?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Golf Story's pretty enjoyable. Especially impressive if it's the team's first game. The golf mechanics are deep enough to be engaging and they've put together a lot of challenges to help you learn the system. The second course you get access to has a ton of stuff. I'm also excited to see what sorts of gear you get access to to customize your bag.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

KingSlime posted:

I can't believe it took this long for a hybrid console to be a thing

It's so drat obvious in retrospect

Hey, the Sega Nomad was a hybrid. You could plug in a second controller and A/V cables and everything.

Oh, you mean 'thing that people actually bought'. Yeah, it's surprising it took this long.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject, they recently updated TagMo (the Android app for writing Amiibo tags) to support those Datel PowerTags. So now you just need the PowerTag, don't even need the terrible desktop application or base thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Joycon charging stand? There are tons on Amazon and they all get about the same reviews.

I went with a Nyko Charge Block, seems to be pretty good. You can clip them together in pairs, if you want to do 4 sets at a time, even.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's not the NES30, but I have two of the SNES30 and they work pretty well. The Switch can be a bit finicky when syncing them, but that's about the worst of it. I'm looking forward to using them with my SNES Classic when I get my Retro Receiver. The buttons are a little bit stiffer than the ones that come with the Classic or an old SNES pad, but it's not like a cheap stiffness, just a firmer material under the buttons. Other than that, the SNES one's dead to rights. I assume the NES one's just as well-made.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I wasn't much on either of the mobile games, but they were actual decent mobile games and not terrible cash-ins.

Fire Emblem Warriors is also pretty fun. I like the new command mechanics. It did take me a bit to realize that up and down arrows for the triangle are what they are to you, not you to them.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can't seem to get the Gamecube adapter to work after the update. I didn't have it working before, so :shrug:.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
loving hell is Mario Odyssey good. I just found the equivalent to the pack-less levels in Sunshine and holy moly are those probably going to get difficult.

I do like that my "spin to not die" instincts from Galaxy are still being rewarded.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finished the main story of Mario. Ended up with 260ish moons after all was said and done. The post game seems pretty insane, I've already found quite a few challenges that have given me serious issues. Fantastic experience, though, one of the best games I've played in a really long time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't enjoy OB64, you just suffer less with each gameplay session.

Until you finish the game and find out there's a secret meter that goes up/down based on various in game actions and good luck figuring out how it works without a guide.

Hell, good luck doing that with a guide.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I end up just whiffing a lot with Cordelia, I find. Her juggle based moveset doesn't really work when enemies just fall off to the side.

I've been really enjoying it, but obviously Odyssey has taken up my gaming time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of which,

That is insane and I kind of really like it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Vin posted:

How's Fire Emblem Warriors? I was thinking of picking up for a trip I'm going on soon. Like being able to turn off my brain and play that sounds cool and its got local coop. It's either that or pre-order Skyrim (which I haven't played previously).

If you like murdering tons of dudes with combos and light battlefield controls, it's pretty solid. It's a no-brainer if you liked Hyrule Warriors.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that legitimately looked really good. I got a very Golden Sun vibe from the class names and perks when you mix blade types.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I tried the demo for Monkey Tavern and I am decidedly unimpressed. The controls are a mess.

Xenoverse 2, though? Now that I'm getting some levels and some mastery of the combat, it's pretty dang fun. Having issues with a few of the motions it wants for ultimates, but I'll figure it out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mister Facetious posted:

Is that the one that was meant to be a light gun style shooter with the Wii/Move controllers?

Those were Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Really enjoying Xenoblade 2. Definitely reminds me more of the first than the second, but I can see the comparisons.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ciaphas posted:

blades can improve your salvage? oh god there's so much i don't know or understaaaaand :cry:

I have a blade or two with a salvage boosting skill, yeah. It's just like any other loot booster like Botany, far as I can tell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ciaphas posted:

do blades have to be in your active combat party to have their skills activate?

Issar posted:

They have to be one of your current 3 ones but don't have to be the visible one.

I think they just have to be on a character. I had Roc's Wind stuff activate even though Vandham wasn't active.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
If you have CEC enabled on your TV, it should come on and change to the Switch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, it's probably the left Joycon compensating for a weak signal. It's odd, though, because Zelda uses the right Joycon for gyro aiming, which you think would drain more power.

I think the drain would be pretty even, given that they're both probably tracking the gyro regardless, since it's likely part of the standard data packet the controller sends back to the console.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like the Yooka-Laylee codes from the Kickstarter are going out. Started my download a minute ago.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my SNES30 Pro today, too. Paired just fine right out of the box, looking forward to playing a bit with it, but I decided to see how it worked on the SNES Classic first.

Doesn't seem like you can wake the Switch with it? That's kinda lame.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 11, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

repiv posted:

Heads up for those who got the new 8bitdo controller, there's already a couple of firmware updates that include Switch related fixes.

http://support.8bitdo.com

I thought it was fine with 1.10, personally, but I'll give this a shot. Getting an error with the new zip file, though.

I played like 4 hours of Xenoblade with it yesterday and it's a lot more comfortable than I expected. The sticks are pretty nice and the buttons and d-pad are responsive. I don't know that I'd want to use it for anything that required fast reflexes on the shoulder buttons, since they're a little small, but Xenoblade is very deliberate in how they're used.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Xenoblade is also pretty good at the "I bet there's something cool over there" thing that BotW did. I mean, a lot of the time it's just a gather point or a chest or a unique monster who aggros and kills you, but still, it's pretty good at giving you reasons to check things out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have an older Vizio and don't have any issues like that. I have my Switch, Wii U, SNES Classic, and my PS3 hooked up to one of these HDMI switches and it does just fine. Flickers once as it does the CEC thing, but that's about it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Can't say that BrawlOut makes a very good first impression in the tutorial. They advertise no grabs, then put you up against a guy that's all grabs. Also the controls are just a bit too precise and make me think Smash Bros kind of guesses what you're trying to do. Recovery's kind of a fucker in BrawlOut so far.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

goferchan posted:

I've heard basically no good things about Brawlout honestly . Sounds like Smash without the soul

I feel like if it wasn't quite so snappy it'd be more fitting with expectations. Charging smashes is also really finicky, which is throwing me off.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Veritas posted:

Anyone try out Brawlout yet?

Yeah, I'm not majorly impressed. It's not really trying to be Smash, but it's so similar that it's screwing with my expectations. I'm finding the controls a bit tricky, too. Smash attacks and the air game are a lot more precise and I'm not a fan of how tough recovery is, even it it does speed things up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I decided to splurge a bit on some sale games I had my eye on. Grabbed Oxenfree since I wanted to check it out, Overcooked because I've wanted to get some people over to try it and it seems like a better fit on the Switch than the PC, and Little Inferno has co-op! Loved it on the WiiU, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it again. Lot of really cool poo poo on the Switch, good times.

If I could transfer some of these sweet-rear end 3DS themes over, that'd be good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lodin posted:

Pretty sure this is deffo the best alternative to the official pro controller, guys.
https://tinyurl.com/y9pzjqgm
they nicked the mold from the OUYA

Oh man, the Stradivarius of controllers, but for the Switch?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So they'd know if you used an aftermarket screen protector?

Anyway, picked up Stikbold, it's fun. Need to try it out with some other people, but the story mode's pretty enjoyable in the early bits. Has objectives and such like breaking environmental objects.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

repeating posted:

Like, what, for warranty purposes? I mean they do have an officially-sanctioned screen protector from Hori already https://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licensed-Screen-Protective-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MR725H2

That was basically the joke, yeah. That way they'd know if you removed the matte finish or something?

I know it wasn't that funny, but I didn't realize it was "point out there's a licensed screen protector" not funny. :negative:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really like the name Toy-Cons. It's evocative of Joy-Con, but I hope it really stands for Toy-Constructions, because that'd be super clever.

I'd probably buy the RC car bit by itself, if they offered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Those must be the Nendoroid EZ, because the regular Kirby Nendoroids have tighter fitting arms. I have the and regular and ice ones. Also Meta Knight. They're really nice, I ended up passing on the Robobot one, though.

I really want that Guardian one, dang.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 18, 2018

• Locked thread