Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Can I charge this thing on the go with a regular USB to USB-C cable? Could I keep playing zelda on an airplane while it's plugged in and have it stay on? I have a USB charger that I plug a USB to USB-C cable in to charge my phone when not at home so I don't have to unplug the USB-C to USB-C one next to my bed.

edit: portable power bank in OP gives a 404

Tender Bender posted:

I tried this and it charged in sleep mode. While playing Zelda it slowed the battery drain to a few percent in an hour. So your mileage may vary but at the very least it will greatly increase your playtime. I had to use a C to C to actually gain charge while playing.
Long version

Tl;dr version:
Generally the Switch caps its power draw from USB-A-C at about 5V/1.5A, or 7.5W, while the Switch itself can burn up to 8-9W (at least in the most intensive parts of Zelda...in future games? :iiam:). So over A-C worst case you're basically just slowing the drain. But in other less demanding stuff you could be at break even or charging slowly, like I've seen both scenarios within Zelda itself.

Over C-C without USB Power Delivery support (i.e. only up to 5V/3A) it'll pull 5V/2A (10W) so it'll be enough to always charge, barring future games pulling more power. With USB-PD it can pull enough to even run docked mode with the right profile support.

One more thing! The Switch (and its PSU) isn't USB compliant, so it could gently caress poo poo up if the battery/charger doesn't/can't handle the Switch's behavior. I'm thinking it's more an issue if you want USB-PD cause that stuff tends to be the most shoddily implemented, like stuff not actually being able to power what they advertise.

bull3964 posted:

Maybe a little, but the X1 is a known and mature chipset on a well understood platform. This isn't like the early days of the PS3 cell processor.

Most of these devs have been writing for ARM for a while and Nvidia's drivers have been pretty optimized by this point since the ShieldTV has already been around for over two years.
The hardware is mature more or less (the wrinkle being needing to deal with multiple possible performance/output profiles), but the software stack is still new. It's like if you were porting between Windows and macOS, the hardware could be completely identical but you (...and/or whatever middleware dev) still have to deal with all the underlying software differences.

an actual dog posted:

You can get older games for low prices in online sales, but at launch the cheapest option is always Best Buy and Amazon's 20% programs.
Best Buy's isn't just at launch :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

InFlames235 posted:

This isn't an issue if you actually get a good USB-C cable, though. Just make sure you don't use the UBS-C cables that come with PD power banks like RavPower or Anker cuz they're pretty much all poo poo and non-compliant. If you get PD power bank with a solid, in compliant USB-C cable you'll be safe and have enough power to charge the Switch while playing.
It's a bit more nuanced than that cause the Switch itself not being compliant. The problem seems to be that it negotiates at .5A then proceeds to draw 1.5A, if the charger isn't expecting that or can't output that at whatever voltage profile it negotiated at it can overload the charger. (Those two appear to be fine, albeit not enough if anyone wanted a portable dock power setup cause they only do 15V/2A when it seems like the 15V/3A profile is needed for the dock).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

So I've decided I want a neon blue or neon red joycon set. A dude on a train had the neon switch and it was instant envy for me because it looks so much better in person than it did on any promo shot I've seen. Does anyone have and good shots of them that are indicative of what they look like in person? I want to decide on a color. Bonus points if they are connected to the switch. Extra bonus points if you find two reds on a switch and two blues on a switch.
Not sure how representative this will look on your screen but it's something, a little Zelda and Puyo Tetris box color in back to compare accuracy I guess. I think the neon red color pops more in real life, blue is a lot more subtle. (Edit: looking a bit more these aren't bad I guess, just imagine red a bit stronger and blue a bit less so)

Also grip removed joycon grip there too cause why not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

That looks uncomfortable without the grip.
It's more for keeping them together in transport and/or a much more portable grip thing if anyone else wants to use it...I never really used the grip myself.

Not that I've held one in years, but my first reaction was that it kinda reminded me of the Dreamcast controller. So yeah, uncomfortable. Or I guess it might feel like whichever Nintendo portable but taller. Not bad but definitely a comfort downgrade.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:same:

It's useful by itself as a joyconn transportation deal, but having them locked together like that so close to each other feels bad as hell even with the grips
:yeah:

I'm all about the lazy split joycon life.

(...or occasionally hunched over the tiny screen and playing with my arms crossed over)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Not for local multiplayer, which is what my family uses Tetris for. Not unless I want to get 3 more sets of joycons, which, no, I cannot do that, and playing online is... ehhh.

We keep the N64 at my parents' house for The New Tetris and Dr. Mario 64. I think as long as that beast keeps working that's going to be our main Tetris machine, and I'm OK with that because New Tetris has still never been topped.
Master the single joycon modes :v:

(...not that they're ideal or anything either. I've settled for one hand mode with my right hand on top to press the rotate button, and I vaguely recall one of the other modes being like graphing calculator Tetris with dpad/rotate on the right)

Or there's other options like the 8bitdo stuff or wired controllers of some sort.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have no idea how these things work it's like magic. Does plugging them into that weird controller dock do anything? Do they draw extra battery power if on the screen vs off it in tablet mode? Is the only way to charge them to dock the system then plug them into the system?
The ways to charge are connected to the system (not sure if the system being plugged in or docked is required), or the charging joycon grip while connected to a charger, or one of the joycon charging dock things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

whaley posted:

This is kind of unrelated but made me think of how many SNES fighting sticks in the 90s would have LXR across the top row of buttons and YBA on the bottom. What the gently caress was that all about
I'm guessing the idea was basically taking the YXBA diamond layout and shoving it up into an inverted-T, then tacking LR into the open spaces left. In theory it might be more playable if you tried using it for non arcade games maybe cause it'd semi resemble the original layout. Or something. e;fb :v:

On a side note, MS had a funky layout for original Xbox (and maybe 360) sticks too. It laid out the face buttons on bottom left and upper left three buttons, so you could play them kinda like a Neo-Geo layout (worked ok cause the Japanese curved layout, rather than the straight six grid on old American sticks), then shoulder buttons for the opposite remaining four.

Ventana posted:

Sounds like you're talking about the SNES Score Master. I can't find out when it was originally made, but I presume it's like the SNES advantage which was basically made right as SF2 was being released overseas, which means it could've been just lack of proper awareness of where buttons should've been for the new type of game hitting it big.

My best guess though is that they wanted to place the buttons in a way that mimic'd the actual SNES pad. The layout of YBXA lines up pretty well if you move the X button up and center the remaining buttons on the buttom. Would maybe make it easier to use for people who wouldn't understand a normal stick layout (YXL, BAR), but of course in the process doesn't really make sense for a fighting game.

Funny thing is that SNES versions of SF2 were already pretty good about remapping controls, so in the end it probably wouldn't matter too much if the button layout for the sticks were weird.
I had the big rear end Capcom stick and I think it had the same layout, maybe it was like the MS situation and it was the official layout? I vaguely remember for SF2 (and other iterations) it had a preset for the funky layout, but I'm not 100% on that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BrownieVK posted:

Credit cards count as money right? Thanks I'll probably just wait for the cheaper one. I'm a die hard Xboner and I cannot put Zelda down, and every other night my wife wants to play snipperclips in bed, it's a shame you can't just use a cheap 3rd party USB C to HDMI brick.
Well there's adapter things starting to come out like this, but you still need proper power and HDMI cable (which the Nyko one includes), so that's another $20-30 on top of the cheap ones anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone with Neurovoider, I saw the PR saying it had an auto aim single joy con option for multiplayer or something, curious how (well) that works and/or if there’s a way to play with manual aim, like dual stick predecessors on SNES that used the buttons to shoot directions.

Mostly looking for stuff 4P that can be played semi mindlessly like Gauntlet, like dungeon crawler/beat em up. Been keeping an eye on Nine Parchments but this looks like it could be pretty cool in the meantime. I’ll probably get Gungeon too when that comes out but it's only 2P.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

Just chiming in to say that co-op NeuroVoider on the Switch with a buddy is amazing fun. Especially when one of us got the tactical nuke cannon and proceeded to decimate the boss with the other acting as bodyguard.

:hellyeah: :hf: :black101:
I saw in the PR there's a single joycon mode w/auto aim, have you tried that out? Curious if there's a manual aim somehow (like Smash TV on SNES using the ABXY buttons) and/or if the auto aim is ok enough for 4 players to just mindlessly blast away and grind through. Mostly looking for something like Gauntlet, worst case I figure Nine Parchments later this year will probably be the one to get.

zimbomonkey posted:

Am I the only person whose most anticipated title is nba 2k18? I don't even normally play nba games but a full featured portable sports game sounds kind of unreal.
If you're a fan of NBA sim games I imagine it'll be pretty awesome. Can't say I'm big on basketball sims (prefer arcadey stuff there) but get the appeal of sports sims. I like Madden myself...but seeing as there's nothing there (:argh: EA) I'm thinking about FIFA since that was pretty fun last I played one way back.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Realistic sports games look so complicated. I don't enjoy them but gamers that call people stupid that like them are dumb. The interface looks like a loving strategy game for a lot of them.
FIFA can be appealing just cause while it does have the strategy stuff, they can also be played pretty simply without thinking about any of it. There's advanced moves and stuff, but ultimately can be played by running around, passing, and shooting. I feel like soccer and hockey games are both kinda like that, and now I want a NHL game.

I guess you could say that about basketball games too but I think the smaller court makes them feel a bit claustrophobic to me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

The thing about realistic sports games is that if you want to play them realisitcally, you have to be prepared to lose a bunch. I think gamers aren't really used to that so it can seem pretty frustrating. Even in racing games, you're probably winning a majority of a time.
I think for me a good chunk of frustration might have to do all the teammates that are out of your direct control. With Madden they predictably follow the plays you pick so I guess that's why I'm fine with it...and soccer and hockey might as well be chaos to me so the sim games aren't that much different for me :v:. Meanwhile I play and understand basketball and trying to run something resembling an actual offense just doesn't translate to video game format for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

burger time posted:

I heard there were framerate issues with overcooked for switch and then i heard they were fixed. Anyone care to weigh in?

Also, is Tumbleseed worth it?
Haven't played before the patch so no point of comparison myself, but there's this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6zvkon/overcooked_patch_fix_problems/

And reading other threads on it it sounds like the framerate is at least more consistent across the game and controls don't skip/lag or whatever anymore. I noticed in one checkpoint area (where there's not much on screen) it was noticeably smoother though, I dunno, maybe somewhere in the 20s to a solid 30. They mentioned there's another patch in the works to improve performance further so hopefully it gets the whole game up to that point.

So basically could still be better, but it plays fine now, whereas the framerate and control issues caused problems for people before the patch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I'm looking for a mini dock replacement, so at least charging and hdmi out.
https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch-Converter/dp/B074MYLP9C/

There are...or were a bunch of other similar ones but they're not showing up now, I vaguely recall reviews on one saying it damaged their Switch but :iiam:. Still need a power supply so if people actually got stuff damaged I imagine that may have been part of the problem (I'm guessing they also bought whatever cheapo power supply). Not sure what's going on with the other ones from before (that started crowd funding campaigns), but the newer stuff like this is half the price those were going for so uh, sucks to be them I guess.

The Nyko one costs more but comes with power and HDMI cables, but it's shipping October 31st according to that listing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The fastsnail one apparently takes a month to show up too, so you might be better off just waiting for the "full dock plus charger from a fairly established and known-decent company" model
Yeah that too :v:. Looks like you can order from Amazon fulfillment and it should be in stock by next week, in theory. Or order now from China and get it god knows when in October/November.

Kinda disappointed Nyko made theirs so much bigger than the original one to add USB ports, but it's still a smallish flat block at least. Would've preferred the extra USB ports on the sides or front I guess, like rear one for ethernet with the other two for controllers. A bit concerned about the USB C port just seemingly sticking out beyond the surface though, wonder if it swivels down or if it's just fixed there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

well why not posted:

sooo, rumours /leaks are coming out that DOOM is 60fps handheld.

[url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://multiplayer.it/articoli/188805-doom-doom-su-switch-scorre-come-il-sangue-di-demone.html[/url]
Digital Foundry just put up a video saying 30 :(

...then pulled it. I’m guessing the embargo isn’t up just yet, but apparently it’s today at some point. I look forward to some gaming journalists showing they can’t tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Although at this point I’m guessing they’ll all just reference Digital Foundry.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

overdesigned posted:

My friend told me that downloading everything was the way to go but I love physical media so I started buying carts and while I still love physical media (what if the apocalypse happens!? I NEED TO HAVE ALL MY SWITCH GAMEZ) I'm kinda bummed at how right he is/how wrong I was. Being able to switch games instantly would be nice.

nintendo where's my "install to SD card" option for cart-bought games
Closest thing is Gamestop 60% extra trade in promos when they basically give full price for Switch games, then flip that to eShop cards. It's also a roundabout way of getting discounted games off the eShop, if you bought the physical releases off Amazon/Best Buy with their 20% off membership deals.

raditts posted:

I bought Splatoon 2 physical then got it digital and my save data was fine.
Same here with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Spellman posted:

There's no way this won't be a multiplayer game w/ Toadette on Switch
That'd be amazing, and possibly hilariously/horribly frustrating.

Or have a non human partner peripheral of some sort, a robotic operating buddy if you will.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Alright so I am trying to talk myself out of FIFA for Switch now since it loses so many features and frostbite. Does portability really matter here, especially since the single player on switch will be so bad? Someone have this chat with me plZ
What’s it missing other than "THE JOURNEY" or whatever? And some technical gameplay thing that I don’t play FIFA enough to know about. Depends how much you care about having a single player story mode in a sports game I guess.

Edit: who cares about sports when Zero Gunner 2 and more Sengoku/Gunbird/Strikers are coming :dance:
http://nintendoeverything.com/zerodiv-bringing-zero-gunner-2-to-switch-soon-other-arcade-games-to-follow/

I have FIFA preordered, :toot: discounts and gift cards

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
[quote="“Stan Taylor”" post="“476794032”"]
Also the map tracing thing is really cool after you’ve sunk like 60 hours into the game amd watch it for the first time.
[/quote]
It'd be useful from the start really, so it's not really a waste to get the DLC early even if you won't get to the other content for a while.

On the other hand you might lose a bit of the lost/unguided exploring aspect, which is part of the appeal of the game. Depends if that might be frustrating one way or the other I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

Haha good luck getting an x86 console onto a portable form factor.
GPD Win! :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

iajanus posted:

Reading the comments didn't fill me with enthusiasm, although thanks for the idea. I'll keep watching out.

In the meantime, I'll just keep playing awesome games in handheld mode in bed and be a-ok :D
Well here’s another one:
https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adapter-Nintendo-Samsung-Converter/dp/B074MYLP9C/

Or wait for the Nyko one that comes with power adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Portable-Docking-Kit-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B071X7C1B4/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
GB Tetris with kids and new players is going about as well as I expected.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

the numbers have been crunched
https://youtu.be/LPDn0PC6zFE

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

psychoJ posted:

just got a switch today, recommend me some cheap good indie games, goons

(already got golf story, it's 👍)
Just cause it hasn’t been mentioned yet (or in a while in general I think), Thumper.

LODGE NORTH posted:

What’s the best Switch rhythm game
Thumper!

Ok it’s not really a rhythm game in the normal sense, but it’s very rhythm based gameplay wise.

chiasaur11 posted:

Always nice to meet another fan of Sublime Monkey Boxing. Not enough appreciation for it out there these days.
But it’s no Super Monkey Ball.

e;fb

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What about bongo controls?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/78gy1i/the_future_is_now/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a Pro Controller coming today, and I'm taking my Switch away for the weekend tomorrow... if I use the controller's USB cable with an Anker charger into the dock, this should replicate the power cable it ships with so I can leave that in place, yeah?

I hope someone makes a breakout cable, or something similar, just so I can put everything I need Switch related into my little carry case and it be enough to use both portable and on a TV without having to take the dock.
I think the cables they ship controllers with is USB-C to A, which can’t carry enough power for the dock, for docked play purposes at least (albeit no clue about charging through it). The cable should work to charge the Switch in handheld, albeit not necessarily fast enough to outpace drain while playing, it’ll depend on the game.

For docked power there’s third party adapters...but I can’t say I trust them. I have this 45W Xiaomi one, in theory any USB compliant one will work (if it supports the 15V/3A profile*) but that seems to be the cheapest without getting into shady territory. And form factor wise it’s small, the plug is collapsible, and the cable (included!) is detachable. For now I just keep that and a small/thin HDMI cable in my backpack and unplug just the dock if I need to take it somewhere. Not ideal but it makes moving it around just a bit simpler at least.

In the future I’m tempted to get a CForce 002 or 003, but I’m paranoid about it killing the Switch/port or just being broken by a software update incompatibility in the future. I still might take the chance if it weren't for the price, like $60-80 iirc. At that point I almost might as well get another official dock and gut it to put it in one of those 3D printed portable dock cases.

*if you want battery powered dock mode there’s a few batteries that support it too, but it’s not super common.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shredder posted:

These have decent feedback on reddit

There’s a bunch of these on Amazon under other names, with reviews about dead Switches there too.

There is one interesting thing I saw on Reddit though, apparently it can work with whatever USB power, like someone used it with a USB-A battery pack. I’m not sure any of the others can, like I thought they all required the proper 15V/2.6A power like the original adapter (or more standard USB-C 15V/3A profile).

Unfortunately there’s not much data on dead Switches, but it might have to do more with the power sources (i.e. cheap/knockoff Switch or other USB-C power supplies) rather than the docks themselves.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Bluetooth exists for the controllers and such ya? I mean, could they patch it in if they wanted? (By no means speculating)

Thanks for the tip on wireless headsets via dongles tho, have one for PS4 I’m going to try out
Yeah hardware wise it should be possible to do Bluetooth audio. Not sure if they might run into a paired device limitation, like you can already have 8 joycons attached, but you’re not likely to be using Bluetooth audio in that instance in the first place (other than a speaker?).

Headphone dongles or whatever work because they added in USB audio support in 4.something.

Shredder posted:

Load times seem long, but not horrible.

Performance is fine

Left stick moves, right aims. LB rolls, RB fires, Left trigger is map, Right is medkit? B interacts, X switches guns, uhhh I can't remember the rest
Yeah load times are...quite long. And Y does reload. Probably gonna swap the shoulder buttons and maybe interaction to A (to match confirm buttons everywhere else)...but don’t know enough about the game and other buttons yet to know if that’s a good idea.

Is there a split joycon gyro aiming mode? I saw the dev tweet about gyro aiming for single joycon and asked about split joycons but got no response. Other than them liking my tweet.

Feenix posted:

I was kind of amped for Gungeon but then I remembered (while watching a video) that it gets pretty loving bullet helly. :\
Main reason I’ve been waiting for it :getin:. From videos I’ve watched I was hoping it was more bullet helly earlier but I think Gungeons and Draguns might have a mode to address that?

Related side note, I want Assault Android Cactus.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

i want a good wrestlemania game for portable 4-way royal rumbles. just port over WWE vs NWO from the 90's or whatever and let me have my fun
I want a new AKI developed Def Jam.

But they’re doing Style Savvy games these days. I’ll take a Rumble Roses x Style Savvy crossover game from them then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: Gungeon, there’s this update coming some time early next year:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/311690/announcements/detail/1455080932985658451

quote:

The focus of the update is on community requested changes, quality of life and convenience features, hundreds of new and substantially more powerful synergies, a bunch of new guns and items, and getting revenge on the Gungeon’s most hated resident, our new boss. Of course there will also be new rooms, npcs, secrets, and a new mini-boss. Our primary focus was to make the Gungeon a more generous place, while retaining options, for players who really engage with the difficulty of the game.

If you tried Gungeon in the past and found it too hard, too stingy, or too slow- this update will be the version for you. If you liked it just the way it was, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered as well.
Switching to another game, anyone play Hammerwatch? Kinda looking for something 4P for my sister's kids to just hack and slash through, and wondering if it has single joycon mode and how it controls. I was thinking Nine Parchments since it looked 3D Gauntlet-y (which they’ve all played) but the controls seemed pretty rough single joycon, but I haven’t tried it too much yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RatHat posted:

There's motion aiming in topdown shooters...?
Basically mouse aim, but through the gyro (...like one of those "air" mice I guess). On the Wii this was done early on with the IR camera/pointer setup, but it can be done with just the gyro more or less.

Anyway to answer the original question, no it doesn’t seem like Gungeon has gyro aim. The dev tweet mentioned it as an option for single joycon mode but couldn’t see anything about split joycon mouse aim type gyro aiming.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

goferchan posted:

Oh man you know what game I would kill for on Switch? Trials: Fusion. What's Redlynx up to these days? If they ported that game with all the DLC I'd easily get 100 hours of gameplay out of it
I’d probably pay full $60 for a full on Trials collection w/HD/Evo/Fusion. I’ve been wanting a portable (real) Trials game forever. Don’t even need analog triggers, I’ve been playing with the face buttons for years now!

...cause holding the triggers jacked up my wrists for a while. I resorted to playing with an arcade stick for a while. Course I’m not good enough for Ninja tracks but it’s good enough for nearly all the Extreme tracks.

njsykora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuMIM41OSc
Trailer for Pac Man CE2+, literally the first thing in there is that they fixed train eating.
The train eating looks the same :confused:

Except in co-op, probably cause it’d be impossible to play with the camera changes. Maybe there’s an option to disable it, but I forget if that was an option in the original release to begin with.

Wildtortilla posted:

The only deal I know of currently is the buy Mario and Rabbids get another game 50% off at Target. Is that the best thing going currently?
I think Best Buy might have the same deal. And iirc their Gamer's Club thing (something like $20 for 2 years?) stacks with it for another 20% off or whatever it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

"Smash TV-like" doesn't roll off the tongue as well
Smash TV wasn’t random :colbert:

Also what’s the most Smash TV like in terms of uh...arcadeyness? Like simpler and more manic from the start and just progress and keep killing things without stopping for whatever upgrade mechanics outside of new weapon drops.

LethalGeek posted:

My one TV does this to the right but it self corrects after a few seconds and only when it first gets dropped in. Both of mine are Visio's. The difference is the other goes through a receiver and the goofy one has one of those boosted HDMI cables. I want to say it's the TV cause I think iv'e seen my surface computer do the same thing when I plug it in on the TV.
I’d guess initial device and TV sync up just trying to figure each other out what signal works for both.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shredder posted:

Man those plague road screens are making my eyes bleed

Also wtf $38 for a vertical shooter?
Not really out of the question for a new game...but I have no clue about the game or the dev so :iiam:

CRAYON posted:

Dang that RXN game looks pretty sweet but $38 seems quite steep. I'm reading it comes from ex MOSS devs but I'm not sure that justifies the price one bit.
Hmm might, although I can’t say I cared enough for the Raiden games to even try those out in recent years.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I flew to Amsterdam recently and there battery drain outpaced the port I was charging from, but not by enough that I would have run out of battery probably.
USB-A ports at their max can’t charge the Switch when it’s also running at its max. And the charge output and drain can both vary (depending on plane’s charge ports and the particular game) soooo...it depends.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sensual Simian posted:

Games I own:

Does anyone have any recommendations for me or should I just stop whining and be content with 100% Odyssey, play through the BOTW DLCs, get all the rare Xenogears blades, and wait until the next exciting title to be announced?
Cross referencing with my own games there’s a good chunk. How much do you like puzzle and arcade stuff, and how much local multi do you usually play? I'm noticing a lack of Puyo Puyo Tetris and Magical Drop, and Overcooked. And a bunch of other stuff that’s solid but I don’t want to just dump a list of games.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 28, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

creationist believer posted:

I don't know of specific reports, but it took a few months for enough reports of the Nyko dock failing. I spent a lot of time considering alternate docks since I travel a lot for work to lovely middle of nowhere places where there's nothing to do but sit in your hotel room at night. But my two big concerns are that Nintendo could update the firmware on the Switch to lockout third party docks and USB-C is enough of a minefield that at least if my console gets fried, it'll be from official Nintendo products and under warranty.
That's basically the conclusion I ended up with too. I've just been using the original dock with an extra set of cables (albeit more portable friendly cables) so I just unplug the dock itself instead of needing to bring everything along.

I'll probably eventually just get another dock and one of those small replacement enclosures for it. Official docks (with cables) on eBay vary but I've been seeing some around $60, and apparently you can get the dock by itself directly from Nintendo for $60 too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just want to say holy poo poo does rocket league own on the switch!! I fell down a big RL hole tonight and played for a good long while.

I refuse to believe anyone had a problem with the graphics. They are totally fine, the game runs great and never once did I lose track of the ball, my teammates, the goals or my opponents, which is all that really matters in an RL round.

What a great game on the greatest console. At a great price too, I’ll definitely get way more than $15 of enjoyment out of RL.

Couple questions:

1) how do I change my name in game? It used my profile name, which is just my first name. Hopefully I don’t have to rename my profile

2) how many people can play locally (please say 4)?
Not sure about 1 (but I thought someone mentioned it’s possible), for 2 I believe it’s two player in portable/tabletop and four player in docked mode. There might be an annoying thing about adding players, like you might need separate profiles on the system vs it just tacking on to yours, but that’s more an issue for online right now. It’s a bug they know about but not sure if it’s fixed or otherwise when.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Of course.

If you like Metroid get Axiom Verge.

If you like Zelda get Blossom Tales.
And if you like Mega Man there’s Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which recently got a demo iirc.

Pollyanna posted:

I liked the previous Shantae games but if there's stuff coming out later to complete it I might hold off.

Been thinking of getting Gungeon, since I never played it on PC - I've never played many two-stick shooters but every time I tried I sucked at it. How good is Gungeon for pick-up-and-play?
It’s good but can be a bit slow. Like a good run for me can last an hour, and even on the shorter end it still seems like 15-20 minutes. And the pacing can be slow early on when it’s not that hard and the drops are stingy (and hopefully the upcoming Advanced Gungeons and Draguns update will help there)...but when it gets hectic like bosses it can be pretty awesome.

Tl;dr quick to pick up and play in the literal sense, although the pacing of the game itself can be slow.

There’s also however many other arcade games like the Neo-Geo stuff for quicker action/pick up and playability, at the expense of less length/content, depends what you want. In the vein of shmups specificially cause Gungeon’s boss bullet patterns reminded me of some of that stuff, there’s a few Psikyo ports in Gunbird and Strikers 1945 II. And Gunbarich! (If you like Arkanoid or whatever block breaking games)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Even on the surface it's a really great idea but as soon as you put any amount of time into it you realize it's completely lackluster, which sucks because I really, REALLY want it to be good. I want my money back.

e: it'd be nice to be able to practice bosses you've faced so you can get their patterns down instead of getting four floors into the game and get immediately decimated by a boss, only to dump another half hour to get to it again and struggle to figure out its pattern.
Apparently there’s a boss rush mode...but it’s behind unlocks, which in theory could be fine, but it sounds grueling to do all of it.

Having more or less gotten used to the game the main things I’d want are simpler unlocks, more drops (weapons/money), and more speed or something like more teleporters cause backtracking rooms is really annoying. Like just have big enemies drop guns/ammo! Guns/keys/cheats everywhere! It’d make the game easier but whatever, it can be an excuse to also throw more poo poo at the player to compensate.

But the money drops in particular are annoying as hell. I can clear a hard rear end room with and get 0 or get something like 10 from a relatively basic room. Like it just compounds all the other annoyances when you sometimes can’t even buy poo poo cause the drops are being stingy as hell.

But whatever, gently caress these randomly generated unlockfests, maybe we'll get Assault Android Cactus next year :ohdear:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AndroidCactus/status/944410871828070400

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

goferchan posted:

Most of those balance changes are (currently) exclusively already implemented on Switch. They'll be coming to all platforms along with the actual content update whenever that drops
It sounded like they’re partially implemented but more tweaks were still coming in the update going across platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

A question and a piece of cautionary advice:

Question: Did the performance issues of Overcooked ever get patched on Switch?
More or less afaik. There might be a hint of input lag still but it’s not noticeable enough to me in the midst of the chaos to care. It’s getting a physical release soon but I’m not sure if it’s getting updated again for that.

• Locked thread