Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is the phrase "tate mode" used elsewhere, in another game or in the Switch itself somewhere?

I'm just curious why that's being used here instead of plain old "vertical mode." Haven't seen anybody out there talking about yoko mode.

I've only ever seen it used for shmups, where tate/yoko is a little more clear than saying horizontal/vertical because there are games that scroll vertically but still use monitors in the 4:3 orientation.

I guess there's no reason it couldn't be called portrait/landscape, but tate is what's in common usage because nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I missing something or is using the Joy-con rails to charge the NES controllers a dumb design?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

goferchan posted:

It's really dumb looking but assuming they don't have any sort of rumble/gyro I'm going to hope they have extremely long battery life and fast charge times. Stuff like that and the touchpad on the PS4 controller really contributes to drain

I'm sure they'll have crazy battery life but if they can't be used as Joy-cons is seems like that rail connectivity is a bunch of extra complexity for no reason. It'd be cheaper for the manufacturer and easier for the end user to just put a USB charging port on it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

nes is full of arcade ports and perception of whether or not they have "aged well" comes down to whether or not you think score attack is fun, it seems like the concept of competing with friends for a high score is a completely lost on a lot of people

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

IDGAF about needing to connect to Nintendo once a week to play the NES games. In fact, I wouldn't care if it needed to be online constantly, because the online features they are adding are the reason it's appealing to me in the first place. Being locked out of the Balloon Fight online leaderboards isn't really a loss if I don't have an Internet connection in the first place.

Also, this is from hours ago before i went to bed, but

Hakkesshu posted:

There are tons of NES games that aren't about score attacks and aren't arcade ports, what the gently caress are you talking about.

I'm not saying that games that aren't arcade ports don't exist, I'm saying that a lot of people unfairly disregard the ports as being too outdated to be fun when really they'd be just as unfun back in the 80s if that's not the kind of game you're into.

There are many kinds of NES games and a lot of them are fun.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i bet it's going to turn out that connecting to a nintendo account on a new switch after an old one is stolen/destroyed will let you pull your saves down from the cloud but still not let you get your eshop purchases back

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nintenducks

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Has anything been said about what time the Nintendo Online update is supposed to go live? I need my drat Ice Hockey!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

less than three posted:

8pm PST on the 18th.

ugh, why can't i have it at midnight

damnit nintendo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Not a stupid question, just a stupid solution. You have to delete it and download it again.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

What hotels are you people staying in where you have access to any of the ports on the television? Every time I stay in a hotel, the TV has a shell blocking everything specifically to prevent you from hooking anything to it. This was true with old TVs and it remains true with HDTVs.

If I'm planning on staying in a hotel I pack lock picks.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I just not finding it or are there no NES leaderboards? That was like 90% of the reason I gave a poo poo about this service.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even if they put in the effort to strip all of the player and team names out of Tecmo Super Bowl, it'd be a lot more confusing than in Tecmo Bowl because Super lets you edit rosters and stuff.

Also, while Super is objectively a way better game, the bugs in the original make it way more entertaining to watch if both players know the game well.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

American McGay posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the "seamless online integration into every single game" approach they went with but I'm also kind of disappointed that edged out the earlier "NES games but with online leaderboards" idea because that is also a good idea. I mean, I understand why they did it. Leaderboards would require actual editing of every single rom file, whereas allowing blanket online is much more of an emulation issue, but it still would be cool to have had.

They could have used the original ROM images and had the emulator itself read the high scores out of memory. I'm disappointed it didn't get done because even though it would be hacked in seconds it'd still be cool to have an automated way to compare scores with friends.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've finally broken the the 50,000 point barrier on Balloon Trip. Must trip more balloons.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

looks like niches are the dark souls of language comprehension

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i adblocked the ignore and report buttons because the concept of an ignore list on a forum annoys me more than any poster ever has

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Is "O = yes, X = no" not a universally understood thing? I'm in the US and even as a kid who had just gotten a Playstation when it was new I remember thinking, "Wow this poo poo's backwards from other consoles, and there's an O printed right on the button and everything."

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

if i was capable of drawing well i'd draw tits all day too

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They need to add manuals to the NES games cause some of them I have no idea what the gently caress I’m doing

there are a surprising number of games where the manual doesn't even slightly help with this

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

:wtf: is all this bowsette poo poo? Why would a female bowser look look like a human chick with horns when bowser himself looks nothing like a human?

Because it's derived from Peachette.

Better question is why it's Bowsette and not Peachser.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Netflix was cool back when it had movies on it but I'm unclear on why anyone would voluntarily use it on any device these days. I'm even more unclear on why you'd want it making GBS threads up a device that's meant for playing video games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

holy poo poo nes pro wrestling is loving awesome

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno my dad swears by it for everything lol

WD-40 is good at temporarily displacing water and freeing up stuck parts, but dries into a hosed up, sticky mess. Break-Free CLP is the spray that actually does the things that people seem to think that WD-40 does.

This has been my angry WD-40 trigger post.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Startyde posted:

deoxit is the only thing I let touch my tender electrons but the sticks are really pots not encoders? :wtc:

what the gently caress nintendo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

sometimes i feel like i'm the last human on earth that can grasp smaller objects by closing my hand further

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've always just pasted the URL and it adds the embed tags for me automatically.

Your Computer posted:

I've had embedded videos disabled forever, I'd much rather open a link in a new window

You can click on the video title and it'll pop out into a new window. I usually open things in a new window too, but it's still nice to have the thumbnail so you know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

put the crown on resetti

• Locked thread