Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

crowbb posted:

I think I am Switching incorrectly.

1. Buy Switch and pro controller.
2. Buy Zelda, Bomberman, and Blaster Master remake.
3. Joy Cons have never left the system, and system has never left the dock outside of initial testing.
4. Despite Zelda and Blaster Master being good (Bomberman is sadly completely awful), only play each game for about an hour then buy Disgaea 5 which I already beat the DLC-less version of on PS4.
5. Play Disgaea ever since.
Mine was:

1. Accidentally buy 2 Switches (long story.)
2. Sell one to friend at MSRP+Tax.
3. Console came with Arms so play Arms but also buy and download Disgaea.
4. Play Disgaea mainly.
5. Buy and play Splatoon a bunch.
6. Keep playing Disgaea mostly.

Because I bought and played Zelda on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Motion controls have never, and will never, be good.
Except for VR. They're pretty fantastic for VR.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I keep loving up aiming in Horizon and the like because I keep forgetting that Zelda BoTW mastered every single dominion a video game should have including limited but well implemented and intuitive motion control
I'd love to agree but I still move my hand any time I hit a button so aiming in Zelda BotW was still a complete poo poo show for me. The only reason I get away with anything in Splatoon is because it's rarely a 1-hit importance kind of game and you'll never catch me sniping in it anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I am a Nintendo fansquid of embarrassing proportions but it is really goofy and somewhat embarrassing that co-GOTYs BotW and Splatoon2 both lack button remapping.
It will always be embarrassing to all video game consoles that do not have system-level per-application button remapping. It will always be embarrassing to all video games that do not have game-level per-user button remapping.

What I'm trying to say is, most developers never took a Human Computer Interaction 101 class in college and thus most of them will never actually understand how to create proper control remapping for their games. Welcome to every time I have to complain in a forum about a great game not letting me change from WASD to ESDF.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

what kind of turbo:spergin: uses ESDF lol
# of reachable keys aside (it's more) the real reason is because I'm often typing and I use the home row and never look at the keyboard when I type. Why should I move my hand left by one when I can just keep it in the same place? I've already memorized all the keys my left hand can hit, why re-memorize just to fit some old-school idiot's idea that WASD was an OK thing to do?

That said, it's still better than buying one of those weird usb mini-board of keys that do nothing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 28, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

You sound like a total loser, no offense.
Hey I don't come to the bad post factory and tell you you're a loser.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

If they deleted the rabbids and it was just normal mushroom kingdom enemies with a few new alien ones (or the bean people) for spice to provide the laser guns and playable characters I would enjoy it way more and buy it for certain.

Imagine Waluigi in your party :allears:
Yeah they made up so many characters throughout all the Mario RPG games you'd think they could do better than Ubisoft's minions.
But then you realize that Ubisoft wanted to make this game, not Nintendo, and it makes more sense why we're stuck with the rabbids.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zelder posted:

Why do I keep getting connection errors :(
I don't know but I just wanted to tell you your avatar is good. Not enough love for Sonic Spinball... anywhere on Earth. :(

Actually you're probably getting connection errors because that's what happens to the Nintendo network any time the store updates with a popular title.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I forget... Splatoon was a midnight eShop release, right? Is that true for all eShop releases?
Edit: Never mind, got my answer elsewhere. Guess it's "sometimes midnight, sometimes noon."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 25, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

raditts posted:

Ugh, it's got that same ugly low poly style that Adventures of Mana did.
Don't fall for half-assed remakes and just play the original.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I'm as excited for Golf Story as most other folks here but... I came to realize something. Nobody's actually played this thing yet. The only trailers we have are the initial reveal trailer and the short showing it got in the last Nintendo Direct. Otherwise, I can't find any other information on this game. No reviews, no gameplay demonstrations, just two trailers. I mean, it looks great and I love the idea but... there's absolutely zero indication that this will be a good game. Am I just bad at Googling or is this possibly... overhyped?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

What, you can respec characters in Rabbits?
Thread moves too fast for me but some of the game's challenges pretty much require it if you want to complete them all as soon as they're unlocked. If respec wasn't in I think the game would have suffered greatly. Kinda scary it was a last-minute change since that indicates they actually hadn't considered/tested it earlier.

Also, gently caress Golf Story (so many holes..) marry Stardew (gotta make Grandpa proud) and kill Kirby (starves nations and commits regicide.)

Seriously though, in the first Kirby game, King Dedede had stored food for the nation but Kirby kills him and steals his food just to feed other Kirby's, allowing the starvation of the rest of the world. Plus, that food is no longer a renewable resource because he killed Whispy Woods, who had grown all the apples you see feeding Kirby's at the end. Kirby doomed Planet Popstar to a slow death.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

acksplode posted:

They had probably considered/tested it throughout development as a potential design escape hatch in the event that playtesting showed that not being able to respec was too punishing for some players
This is likely but in such a situation I wouldn't call it a "last minute decision" since that usually implies (at least from my perspective) someone had thought of it at the last minute as well. More than likely I'm just not reading the term literally enough. :P

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

whaley posted:

Searching google for "diablo 3 switch" and the first result being someone asking for diablo 3 for switch with a rating of six thumbs down really makes me miss the lovely blizzard community
Yeah but the replies have a bunch of thumbs downs too. It's just dumb all over.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm surprised no one is talking about SteamWorld Dig 2 since it comes out tomorrow and the reviews seem to be decent
The way I feel about it... It's sorta like... Everyone already knows it's going to be good because they're just going to follow the formula that made the first one good. Everyone already knows they're gonna play it for 6-10 hours, enjoy it, and beat it. There's really nothing to discuss because it's just your typical great game but it's not doing anything astounding, surprising, or crazy. We're going to get what we expect, so why talk about it?

Meanwhile I have no loving clue what to expect from Golf Story which is supposed to come out at the same exact time. And for you PC gamers, don't forget that Heat Signature also comes out tomorrow. It's an indie-game smorgasbord! (Which means plenty of time to not actually buy Golf Story and wait to see if it's actually as good as we all hope it will be.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Someone confirm golf story drops tomorrow I can’t even breathe right now
http://nintendoeverything.com/golf-story-playable-at-tgs-2017/
Apparently it drops at TGS tomorrow and will, as far as I know, be the first time anyone has played it. It wouldn't be the first time a game released during an important game expo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I... don't know how that game works but what's the trigger to tell you to shoot? Because Kojima begins his shot almost 1-2 frames before the screen starts the animation to tell you to shoot, making this look like he predicted when he'd have to shoot rather than reacted to anything.

I know this is a dumb post, I just wonder.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I have 0 amiibos, what are the best ones aka ones with the most uses?
If you're only buying Amiibos so that you can use their functionality, then just buy an action replay amiibo (with power tag) from GameStop and emulate them all.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So Golf Story is at TGS right now. Sites are reporting on TGS right now. Nobody is reporting about Golf Story except Game Informer and that's only because it's going to be in their upcoming issue, not because it's at TGS.

What the gently caress is going on with Golf Story!?!?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Oh nice. The Rocket League port looks great.
I.... what? When I saw it in the Nintendo Direct I said to my friend "holy poo poo, I didn't know Rocket League could look so bad."
gently caress am I evoking PC privilege?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was wrong with it to you? I played it on PC for a free weekend and it didn't look noticeably that much worse to me from the Direct footage other than the expected resolution decease.
I'm trying to take a screenshot of the Switch version to show the details missing but the video quality of the Nintendo Direct, even at 1080, is so bad that I can't actually get past the video compression issue. Mainly, the grass is bad, there are shaders absent, and the particle effects are toned down greatly. They had to make a lot of concessions to make it hit 60fps and, yes, I would rather it had 60fps than the quality or resolution of what you get on the PC or other consoles, but for some reason my many hours of play on PC makes me see this Switch version and go "ew.."

That said I'd probably pay 20 bucks to get the Metroid car in the PC version.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Of all the games to give a poo poo what it looks like, this loving idiot picks Rocket League.
In my idiotic defense, I was referring to the relativity of the port to the PC version. It still looks fine as a Switch game.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

how loving dare you talk poo poo about the Nintendo Switch.
https://youtu.be/MzNNTexnZQ0?t=34s

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

raditts posted:

The "story" part of the story mode is... not great, though.
I disagree greatly. The way they act like having a puzzle battle with someone is like giving them a handy is loving hilarious.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fancy Hat! posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/912451222497628161

Didn't expect it to just drop on the official twitter like this but... HELL Yeah.
It still bothers the gently caress out of me that aside from the reveal trailer and the latest Nintendo direct, this is the only footage we've seen of this game... which was at TGS and didn't get any coverage.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zutaten posted:

The devs are Australian so any bizarre phrasing and language choice are Australianisms
Ah, so the thing that made the Borderlands pre-sequel writing even worse. drat.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

enojy posted:

So far the only quirkiness in the writing is the use of the term "sucked in!" Like 3 or 4 times in succession in the beginning, for comedic effect. I'm assuming it's some Australian colloquialism for "gotcha, bitch!"

Otherwise the writing & characterization is very charming and good.
I'm super happy to read this! Will definitely be picking it up tonight either way.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm enjoying Golf Story so far but two things bother the gently caress out of me.

1: I've had the game get stuck after a dialog at least twice now, making me lose save progress. I also had this really crazy glitch that's hard to describe happen but thankfully I fixed it.
2: This is the only Switch game so far that has shown just how loving awful my joycons can be. The times when the button press gets delayed or just ignored due to "you have wi-fi in your apartment" is loving awful bullshit that makes me think I really need to send my joycons to Nintendo for repair (aka sponges.) :(

chaleski posted:

I'm trying very hard not to impulse buy games anymore and you guys are making it very hard for me

It's not THAT good, is it?
It's just exactly what you think it is. Chill Stardew Valley but with Golf inserted into everything instead of farming, dungeoning, mining, and sexing. You can throw balls at people, tee off from anywhere you want in order to accomplish silly little goals, and... golf. The RPG aspects are pretty basic, the writing is just fine and goofy, but in no way do I play this game and think "I would have payed 60 dollars for this." After beating the first area I'd say it's around the 20-30 dollar value mark, so 15 bucks definitely feels like a nice steal.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

I think power lowering other stats is to prevent spamming power. From what I understand it is one of the most useful stats. The others give you more leeway for loving up shots but if you can nail shots then power is best, I think?

Was able to play for a couple hours tonight, beat all the side objectives in the first place that I could and took on the course. I'm sucked in.
The way leveling and stat progression works is actually rather interesting. You're given the option of just boosting power with the detriment of being able to make more finely tuned shots. If you hit power too much to the point that you can't handle proper shots anymore, you are free to lower the points in power in order to re-distribute to the other stats that help make your shots more accurate. However, you cannot lower the points in the other stats as a means of free redistribution. In other words, you're given the ability to make the game harder on yourself but you can ease it back once you realize you can't handle it anymore. This does lead to the possibility of pumping too much into the extra stats instead of power and completely ruining your whole game so it's not easy mode but it's also not above giving you a way of fixing an early mistake. It's neat!

Frankston posted:

Golf Story is... ok

I dunno, I've had it two days now and I'm kinda bored with it already.
I feel like chill games like Golf Story aren't meant to be binged. In the same way Mario and Rabbids isn't very good if you binge it or Stardew Valley. Too much chill eventually just leads to boredom. Intersperse your play!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The difference between front roll and back roll isn't as simple as "one way is correct." It's a combination of many variables.
* Do you play one-handed video games on your phone while taking a poo poo?
* How strong is your toilet paper's perforation?
* Is the roll free hanging or up against a wall?
* Do you only have the use of one arm?
* Is the roll opposite of your dominant hand?

You must choose based on your situation and to deny others of this basic human right is nothing short of fascism!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I actually really enjoyed Axiom Verge. As someone who just loves Metroidvanias in general I understood its failings but didn't think they were as bad as people made them out to be. The game was still entertaining. Definitely better than Samus Returns in terms of how Metroid-ish it is.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It wasn't entertaining at all and Samus Returns is a much better Metroid game

Sakurazuka posted:

Axiom Verge is like if you took a Metroid game and made all the movement, weapons, enemies, bosses, graphics and music incredibly bad,slow and boring.
Yeah, no, I get that you don't like Axiom Verge. Am I allowed the dissenting opinion here?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cobalt Viper posted:

Ah yes, the actual Metroid game is a much better Metroid game. Thanks for the keen insight.
Eh, keep in mind the argument I'm making here that Sakurazuka is replying to. I've said elsewhere I could write a dissertation on how Metroid Returns eschews classic Metroid genre conventions in a way that makes it weak as a Metroid genre entrant, but as just a video game it's pretty good. I just don't think it hits the same beats that Axiom Verge did in regards to how it treats the genre. That said, I can understand why other people don't feel the same way since your opinion could differ vastly based on which Metroid or which Castlevania you started off with. I think my first was actually Metroid 2, which led to me believing Super Metroid is peak Metroidvania, thus how I judge Axiom Verge and Samus Returns the way I do. I 100%'d both games and for me, Samus Returns felt like a much more painful slog than Axiom Verge did.

I think at this point I'd have to make my own Metroidvania game for anyone to care what I thought, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

I guess it's good I haven't seen any of them since I had it on SNES and GB. Stardew seems pretty cool to me, considering I liked the oldies.
Check out the Rune Factory series if you want some interesting Harvest Moon sequels since the SNES/GB era. They're all on the DS/3DS. Also that one top-down Gamecube game was real good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

15 dollars is a steal for a game like Stardew on the Switch.
8 dollars is grand fuckin larceny.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dizz posted:

I used to think the same way but steam sales made me really REALLY numb on game prices.
I pretty much rate games based on a scale of how much I think they're worth to buy. All prices for Stardew are low prices.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's because his sense of wonder is dead.

Which typically happens when you over-analyze video games by being a reviewer or an over-analyzer.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I had a lot of people poo poo on me for saying Rocket League looked bad so I'm back to say

It still looks bad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I thought at first this was a picture of a garbage toaster PC then I saw the X prompt in the corner :psypop:
Also that car and topper are exclusive to the Switch.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Seems to me you just shouldn't use the "up close" camera so the jaggies stay as far away from your view as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Brekelefuw posted:

Surely I can't be the only one who really wants a port of Excite Trucks?
If they took out the motion controls this would be a day-1 purchase for me. That game was amazing outside of the absolutely awful motion controls.

• Locked thread