Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LethalGeek posted:

I admittedly don't own a PC in a box console anymore so I don't know if this is still happening buuuuut I'm glad Nintendo games don't ever? seem to have Day 1 patches cause I was thinking about the nightmare of gift opening day(s) being a mess this year.
Pretty sure they do have Day 1 patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Imagined posted:

They're kind of between a rock and a hard place with amiibo. They can't make their in-game effects TOO cool or people will whine that good content is gated behind essentially $15 DLC, especially when they can't seem to make enough of the ones people actually want. We saw a little preview of what the fan reaction would be if Amiibo actually did something cool with Samus Returns, and it wasn't pretty.

I bought a dozen or so right after I got my Switch but quickly lost interest once I realized I'd have to jump on preorders at 4am, order from Japan, or go all over town to get specific ones I wanted (especially Zelda ones). It was hard enough to tell myself buying Nintendo toys was justifiable, let alone having to work at it.
The Fire Emblem ones in FEW don't seem to do... anything special? Except maybe two of them (of course, not the ones I have). You can just scan like, 5 of any amiibo and it'll just give you some random materials/weapons/gold.

Seems like they should have at least given you a costume for that particular character.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh man Night in the Woods is finally coming to the Game Gear
That's a weird way to spell the Gizmondo.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Takoluka posted:

I have over 20 hours put into FEW, and I am not done with Story Mode yet, nor have I jumped that far into its other History Mode. Hyrule Warriors had tons of content in the form of adventure maps, and I imagine that FEW will follow suit with its offerings. There's a lot to do, and if you like Warriors games, you'll like this. In fact, because of it, I'm now playing actual Fire Emblem games, because prior to playing FEW, I didn't really have much of an investment in them.
I do wish that they had offered a more even distribution of sword/spear/axe and mounted/on-foot, but it's very enjoyable in a SLASH-SLASH-SLASH-BOOM (and repeat) killing-thousands-of-dudes way. The addition of being able to switch to different characters on the field and the AI not being completely stupid if you order them to take over forts is great. It's also pretty much needed considering the game overloads you with urgent tasks during a map.

I've also only played about a third of one FE game (Awakening) and I still enjoy unlocking new characters and leveling them up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Has anyone gotten their My Nintendo Rewards points for new cartridge games yet? I just chose the menu option to redeem it for the game card of Hyrule Warriors and I got 60 points (60 cents). Aren't you supposed to get 300 points ($3) each full-priced game?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

King Crab posted:

I got 60 HEW, 40 for bayo 2 and 124 for bayo 1??
I figured it out: they're incentivizing buying from the digital store. You get 5% on the eShop and only 1% on physical purchases.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16555/~/how-to-earn-my-nintendo-points-%28gold%2C-platinum%2C-etc%29

I had thought the gold point change was across the board. Ah well. Still better to buy from Best Buy with GCU than full price with more gold point rewards.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zore posted:

Mario Tennis later this month
Otcopath Traveller in July
Captain Toad in July
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate in August
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee in November
Smash in December

Starlink Battle for Atlas: Q3 2018
No More Heroes in 2018
TWEWY: Final Remix: Q4 2018
Tales of Vesperia in ??? 2018
Valkyria Chronicles 4 ???? 2018
Yo-Kai Watch 4 ???? 2018
Also, Super Mario Party in... October, I think?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

abraxas posted:

To be fair almost all the games that MS showed are multiplatform titles, most not even timed exclusive but just straight up coming out for multiple platforms at the same time, so saying MS won E3 is only true insofar that they got to show all the sweet trailers/games. Could've just gotten a hobo from the street and let him show all those trailers and have the same effect :v:
Hobo for best show of e3 2019, calling it now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Does the story in Octopath get any better? I've done Chapter 1 for 4 characters so far (Therion, Haanit, Ophilia and Cyrus), and the story bits are dreadfully boring to me.
Heh, I think those are some of the boring ones, actually. Do Primrose and see how you feel about it. Also Tressa is the bessta.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just popping in to say that Go Vacation is a very chill game and worth it if you can get it on discount through like remaining BB GCU or something. The minigames are not that great, but it's more about the experience of relaxing in a semi-open world with your Sim-like avatar.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just that particular series
Not necessarily, for instance the Fate games/anime have confusing names with / marks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I just tried my friends copy of the Crash remakes and it feels like a fan recreation in unity the physics are not good. I don’t know if this isn’t a problem in other version but oof. They have a default round bounding box on Crash so you’ll constantly slide of platforms and boxes to the point where later levels you’ll do the same jump three times and get three separate outcomes without changing anything, on ice levels if you run into a wall on ice there’s actually a wind down time on momentum for some reason so if you hit a wall while on ice then jump up on a small ice platform before a pit you’re zoom across the small platform despite coming from a standstill, and I found a fun time glitch where if you dead drop without moving onto an ice area you run normal but if you jump at all the game then remembers you were supposed to build up speed while on the ice and stop you mid jump which is oh so great trying to clear pits. I know the original Crash games weren’t exactly super great platformers but I don’t recall them behaving like this
That level in the first crash game on the bridge with bottomless pits is a nightmare. I don't know if you're really supposed to cheese it by walking on the guide ropes on the side, but that's what I did, cuz gently caress trying to do those precision jumps normally (with the bounding box issues like you said).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That was a pretty freakin' amazing direct right there.

As a filthy casual Smash player, I like the final smash charge-bar option so that we don't constantly have to worry about jumping around for that drat ball.

Love the music and stage options. I remember just spending a ton of time going through and playing a billion songs on the jukebox in the Wii U version.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Remember when PlayStation All Stars was hyped because a Bioshock Big Daddy was in game :laffo:
Hey, I would have liked Playstation All Stars if it just copied Smash Bros. exactly. Instead, it had this annoying "build up power by hitting people, then make sure you don't whiff your super attack or else you're screwed" as the only way to score points. There was no percentage/health meter. Just sucked all the possible entertainment out of the game for me.

Plus, I think everything was just too tiny on the screen, you could barely see your character.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Calaveron posted:

I do not understand who Chrom is an echo fighter for. Roy? Ike? He had both Aether and also dancing blade
Probably Lucina.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm playing Dead Cells on switch now and I might have to forfeit my nerd cred...

I like it better than Hollow Knight.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I also suck at it. I've made it to the bridge boss twice and gotten killed, that's the extent of my progress.
Gotta get used to that dodge roll. It's all about that and getting used to their attack patterns. For the bridge boss, I found it useful to drop 2 turret skills and have the frost blast weapon so it keeps the boss stopped and constantly needled by arrows.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Modus Pwnens posted:

The now former IGN reviewer made the most terrible so-called "apology" video. I won't include a link because--get this---he monetized the video. But to summarize he pretty much takes no blame, attacks Kotaku and mostly acts like an undersized poo.
I watched it and felt the exact same way. He's playing the victim when he's the one who got caught ripping someone off. That video should have been 45 seconds long where he comes clean, doesn't blame anyone else, and says he'll try his hardest to win back people's trust. Like, that's it, not a 5-minute whinefest with the most cloyingly annoying voice ever.

zenintrude posted:

This is the best response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8TSUehpi8

From Chris Scullion, who had his FIFA 18 review plagiarized
See how annoying that guy's voice is? It's like some sort of weird fake-laugh talking. Holy poo poo I just wanna punch him so bad.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 11, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mega64 posted:

It’s bizarre because you can rewatch all the story cutscenes, yet the party banter requires having the character in the party at that moment, and if you miss it you miss it forever for...no good reason.
This is the dumbest thing and I hope they patch in a party banter replay option in the menu somewhere.

If they don't end up doing that, I hope someone puts together an easy viewable archive of all of the party skits by chapter.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

curried lamb of God posted:

While the PS2 eventually amassed an incredible library, the launch games (i.e. while competing with Dreamcast) were pretty mediocre as a group. The best games were basically SSX and Timesplitters. The PS2's "killer apps" - Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 - were released more than a year later.
Uh, hello? Fantavision?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD2AnDhyynM

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Lobster posted:

This guy has provided so much entertainment over the last few days and just when I think it couldn't possibly get any more pathetic he delivers. Surely not the hero games journalism wanted but definitely the hero games journalism needed.
Thank goodness he wasn't a woman or this would have been Gamergate x100.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lodin posted:

Well you should play that as well then. Both are adventure games with visuals and humour similar to Psychonauts.
Also, Ty Konzak, the lead voice actor for Stick it to the Man (and who plays parts in the new game, too) is/was a goon. He did the Tails Gets Trolled narration that I animated way back when.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is a flash game on Newgrounds, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Xenoblade X is the Metal Gear Solid V Survive of the series.
I think this is closer to how I felt about it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it likely that Skyward Sword will get a HD rerelease?
Would they have to retool a lot of the motion controls...?
I don't know how much work would go into adapting that game for the Switch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

enojy posted:

Monster Hunter demos have traditionally been bad demos, in the sense that they forego all of the introductory stuff (of which there is a lot to learn,) and just dump you into one of two or three mid-level monster fight scenarios with a preset of gear. If you're new, you're not gonna have a single clue what to do, and that really works against the game.

The proper game has a somewhat generous introduction that is the first grip of quests -- how to gather supplies, how to use your weapons, how to track & fight monsters, and how to create more gear. That's the coveted Monster Hunter loop, and the demos ignore all of it.

The short version of why people are quick to recommend Monster Hunter World over this upcoming Switch release is because World took just about everything that could be considered clunky and/or cumbersome about the old games and fixed it. Fans who've played Monster Hunter for a while probably wouldn't mind these differences a whole lot, but newcomers would surely have a much better time with World.
Did they still leave out a life meter for the bosses?
A lot of MH knock-off games have that and I really miss it whenever I've tried MH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm not supposed to be saying this because I'm under a fuckton of NDA but the animation studio I work for is developing material for the next Nintendo console and it's gonna be called the Swiitch
Do you have to pronounce that with a stereotypical French accent?
Like, "Monsieur, do you have a Sweeeeetch?"

• Locked thread