Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

which one is better - neon chrome or jydge? or is there a better overhead shooter on switch?

I haven’t played Jydge, but I played a ton of Neon Chrome on my phone and thought it was super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’s called a dakimakura, mom

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Hmm, which actor should do the motion capture for Toad?

Danny DeVito, obviously. Have him do it while he’s in town for the Detective Pikachu voice-over that is definitely really happening and not a distant, unattainable dream.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

Someone made a comment about how the mario characters are less characters and more actors nintendo uses.

That really is so loving true.
And its the same with the mario universe as well. Location and semi-iconic buildings are clearly props used and changed between games for various purposes.

After such a long time doing this stuff, I really think Mario+Rabbids shows the strength of this approach.
The mario characters and world is so undefined in location and history that except for some bedrock stuff, the characters can appear in all sorts of games and media.

The sonic universe is the same... but it has been handled quite badly.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is a stage play :2bong:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If Bethesda is serious about supporting the Switch, I’d like to see them port Dishonored. Man that game owned.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

So it turns out Tim Rogers does videos now and he did a video on XC2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aN7jngFdz4

It made me laugh.

Side note: I'm have a hard time imagining one of Rogers' articles read in that voice. This is not the voice I was expecting this man to have.

That can’t be Tim Rogers, this video is less than three hours long

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Amazon also sells a similar but much cheaper one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C9BVTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eA1iAbGP60GHA

Weedle
May 31, 2006

That... doesn’t look great, honestly. Is it better in motion?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It’d be cool if Nintendo made a “portable dock” that was just a dongle that connected to the USB-C port to provide power and HDMI, and you could just lay the Switch down next to the TV or something. It’d be a lot more convenient to transport than the comparatively huge stand-up dock.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

caldrax posted:

Where I currently live, that's not an option.

Move out of your parents’ house.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wanted to play DS2 on my PC, but since I have a baby at home, a game I can’t pause at any time is kind of a non-starter. Hopefully a Switch version will let me pause by going to the home screen.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Auron posted:

Wasn't this debunked by some dude that works at Nvidia on Reddit who said they are running natively?

Yep, and the page on Nvidia’s Chinese site that said they were being streamed is gone now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

That whole Cuphead fiasco was the biggest bunch of bullshit I have ever seen. The guy cops to not being good at the game or games of that genre from the beginning and a mob of nerds poo poo themselves and treat it like a hit job on the developers. I’d love to see a Venn diagram of those people and people who complain about easily-triggered SJW snowflakes ruining gaming.

More relevantly, I wonder how unlikely it would be to ever see Let It Die on Switch. Did Sony have a hand in producing or publishing that game?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Malign not the noble Dreamcast

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Games were good, the controller and console were crap.

That’s fair. I still bust my Dreamcast out from time to time to play Tony Hawk 2, but I have to use the D-pad to have any hope of pulling off manuals consistently.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

limaCAT posted:

I don't know if Dean Takahashi is an SJW Snowflake, but I will always love and remember fondly that he left us this wonderful editorial.

https://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/the-deanbeat-why-nintendo-should-have-bought-ouya-and-other-might-have-beens/

Kawabata posted:

the term "sjw snowflake" is incomparable in terms of the information it gives on the person using it (not addressed to you, limaCAT)

for example it tells you that the person is usually racist, homophobic, and retarded

it would be amazing if the term became a probatable offense out of dnd, one can dream

Just to be clear, I’m not calling Takahashi an SJW snowflake or trying to poo poo on the people to whom that term is usually applied. I’m commenting on the “core gamers” who flip the gently caress out over stuff like a game reviewer not being a speedrunner-level expert, but turn around and tell people to chill out and not take things so seriously in response to, say, finding it offensive when a streamer uses a racial slur. At any rate, not really relevant to this thread, so I’ll shut up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I hope this doesn’t just mean the minimum-effort mobile ports of old Final Fantasy games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

The description of Unepic makes it sound thoroughly terrible.

I watched a friend play some of it on PC a few years ago and the writing was g a r b a g e

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Who is Mayor Bamco?

They meant “major,” and Bamco is Bandai Namco (Dark Souls, Tekken, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, etc.).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

at any rate I currently have 12 good and meaty switch games installed in my system, none of which I have fully "beat," and like seven more in my wishlist

so I suppose I am in no rush to add yet another major title I'll play for a bit before moving onto to a new thing. Switch got game(s)

When I bought my Switch I had a big list of games to play on it but then the second game I got was Skyrim so it turns out I don’t need any more

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I tried playing this on my phone a while ago because I love a good time travel story, but the characters were so intolerably awful that I couldn’t stand it after a few hours. Give me Zero Escape instead.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RatHat posted:

My biggest issue with it is that it's lopsided. It'd be a million times better if there was two.

Or a single, large one like the kickstands on the Microsoft Surface Pro or HP Spectre X2. Pretty much anything would be better than what we got.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Who would have thought that a Kickstarter project banking on 2000s nostalgia would end up being soulless and empty???

Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 came out in the ‘90s, a good decade.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have heard of that game. I pirated it when I had a DS flash cart and played it for like 45 minutes. I remember it looking really nice given the limitations of the system it was on.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

I thought it just had a few random pitches so as not to sound the same every time.

ITT people unable to distinguish music from random noise

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Calaveron posted:

How long did it take you to realize that based on the design and positioning of the neon green highlights you're basically holding a facsimile of Pyra's breasts

Someone get Ben Kuchera in here

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My memory of Vs. Super Mario Bros. is playing it in the mid-90s at a crummy diner in Las Vegas on a family vacation while my mom got a phone call from her brother telling her that their mom was dying back in Oklahoma.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Suggestions for SDXC cards? Trying to decide between 128 and 256gb, but I dunno how much brand affects that.

200 GB is the sweet spot, IMO. The 256 GB cards I’ve seen are around twice as expensive as the 200 GB alternative for like, 20% more storage. Not worth it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

“No, seriously, it gets good after 20 hours” - XB2 fans

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Immediate gratification and laziness fucks me over yet again :(

For future reference, Staples will price-match Amazon.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Compression became less of a priority as optical media, and now digital distribution, gave people a ridiculous amount of space to play with

We went from cart sizes in the MB range, to a leap to about 700MB CD-Rs, to 4.7MB DVDs, to 50 GB blu rays, in the span of about 5-8 years per leap. Compression generally stopped being an issue -- I think Nintendo is the only one that cares about it anymore

Yeah, we have more storage than we used to, but that doesn’t mean we should just start wasting it. Why make users download 50 GB if your game could fit into 30 GB if you bothered to compress anything? What benefit is gained from using uncompressed assets?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha

Seriously though the guy with the most characterization in the whole game to me was fuckin rear end in a top hat Belethor

I guess a couple quest NPCs like some people in the dark brotherhood line are memorable but most of the people you interact with are just like "stern, serious people who really want to tell you where to go for your next quest"

“Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.” is my favorite video game shopkeeper line since “Got some good things on sale, stranger!”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Skyrim Switch is a great port of a classic game with a crazy long playtime AND replayability. I have no regrets on double dipping on the Switch version, I’m actually playing it unlike the multiple times I’ve started new games on PC and abandoned them a few hours in.

Well, was playing it. Gungeon’s taken up all my Switch time since I bought it.

I tried to buy it in a Steam sale a while ago but refunded it because I accidentally bought the “remastered” edition that my aging PC can’t run well at all. Really glad that I ended up waiting to get a Switch before starting it because it’s an awesome game that’s perfect for playing on the couch while my wife watches TV.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Resident Evil 4 is loving perfect. I’ll buy it again for the Switch if it ever comes out.

Would you say you’d buy it at a high price?

e: loving poo poo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

What games currently have video clip capture support now? Is it still just Zelda, Mario Kart, Odyssey, Arms and Splatoon?

Skyrim has it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Haha I've never played Witcher 1 and if you tell me any other human has I won't believe you

Some people have played 2 but I'm pretty sure 1 doesn't actually exist

Like finding someone who has played Street Fighter 1

Honestly I actually think the engine/gameplay of Skyrim is fine it's just the content is so bland and boring apart from a handful of things here and there

The Witcher 1 is the only Witcher game I have played. It’s good, but the interface would have to be completely rebuilt top-to-bottom for a controller.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If Rayman Legends is really that good maybe I’ll get it. I loved the original Rayman for DOS back in the ‘90s but it was insanely hard, especially for a kid who wasn’t that good at video games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’m interested in Payday 2 but I remember people complaining about poor support for their past console versions. Did they ever get their act together, i.e. give any indication that the Switch version will be handled better?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nerd_of_prey posted:

If I buy the DLC for fire emblem warriors will the new content be available to all profiles on my system or just the profile used to pay? As I am the main user of the console and have my own save on my profile but I've been playing co-op on my boyfriend's profile. I obviously only want the DLC if both profiles can access it!

Purchased content is available to all profiles on the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Frankston posted:

I want to live in super Mario Odyssey but not if peach is just going to friendzone me

Try not getting up in her face about being your girlfriend literal seconds after her traumatic kidnapping experience

• Locked thread