Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's that weird, maybe they like to have their pinky pressing a small key instead of a big key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There's a Mayflash adapter for switch that lets you use Wii U pro controllers and PS4 controllers - has anyone tried it out?

This one? Doesn't seem to be out yet, but Mayflash's stuff has been reliable for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuFobTpCuQ

The range of support is pretty impressive. Accepts pretty much everything, connects to PC/PS3/Switch (but not PS4 or XBone).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Using it in handheld mode means you're tilting the whole screen when you aim, which isn't intolerable but is less comfy than couch-and-TV play.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The red and white ink looks like... you know what... you know....

(each ink colour looks like the condiment it represents and people's minds are going to gross places for no reason)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The ink colours look a lot like marinara and mozzarella. Turning that stage into a big ol' margherita pizza.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is "tabletop mode" something that people actually do outside of promotional trailers

If you work somewhere they don't mind you playing video games on the clock, it's probably a handy way to play at your desk.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing with the Pro Controller D-Pad is that nothing feels wrong with it, physically; it's perfectly comfortable and has the right amount of give. If you're grabbing your Pro Controller and going "feels right, guess I got a good one!" you've misunderstood the complaint.

It's the functionality that's the problem, specifically the way that lateral movements register as directional inputs. You can be pressing down on one direction while unintentionally pushing the D-Pad laterally in another direction, and either input direction (or both) might register.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mario Maker unifies the physics between the games, while preserving distinct moves & mechanics. So overt things like the types of jumps you can do or the way Mario holds items will change between the four modes, but subtler stuff like inertia is kept consistent.

It would have felt a lot worse to go through a string of different-styled courses if Mario's sense of weight and acceleration kept changing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The way Jackbox games work is:
  • The game session is hosted and displayed by the console/computer that the game was purchased and installed on.
  • Every player, whether they're sitting in the room or watching from a stream, uses their own phone/tablet/computer to connect to the game via the Jackbox website. This is free and does not require any app installation. If you can see the game screen and you have a device with a web browser, you can join in.
  • Each player's device serves as their controller for answering questions, typing, drawing, receiving secret personal instructions, etc.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If it's like the other Xenoblade games, then all of the armor you find will be stupider and/or hornier than the default armor.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Leaving Wario/Waluigi out of the wacky irreverent comedy Mario gun game is nigh unforgivable.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waluigi with a gun, but its not one of the wacky cartoon blasters the rest of the characters have, its just a glock.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tropical Freeze is one of the best-looking sidescrollers there's ever been and it's weird to say "no I don't want that, I want hi-def models pre-rendered into low-resolution sprites".

The SNES DKC games imagined the future of 3D graphics by jury-rigging them onto a 2D system. Now that the future of 3D graphics is actually here, that vision can be (and has been) reproduced directly in real-time. It's not really a "lost style" like some of the other pixel art of that era, it's a style that still exists now in better fidelity.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo making bank from their promotional deal with Big Superpower

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In Arms you can't bribe a cop to let you throw molotov cocktails at pedestrians, so not really.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean what happened that is making everyone talk about Mario not being a plumber now

People mistook a bit of cutesy phrasing on the Japanese website for a HUGE CANON REVELATION, and the journalism telephone game went bananas.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

LA Noire? Jeez. The fact that publishers are willing to go square-peg-round-hole to get something, anything released on Switch is one metric of its success I suppose.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's been the same star theme since SMB1.

The harmony is the part that was added in Yoshi's Island.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've never played Fire Emblem, but isn't that black haired woman in the see-through outfit the main character? I wonder why they haven't confirmed her for FEW yet

She's a tertiary character with no bearing on the plot of her game, who is possible to accidentally kill and never recruit.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zelder posted:

I thought she auto joined your party? Or am I thinking of Henry

I can't remember Henry's deal, but Tharja appears as a hostile unit that you have to send Chrom to recruit or she'll just fight you.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

the character design and story both look fun + good, way moreso than xenoblade chronicles 1

Giant tity hotpants babyface girl is absolutely loving creepy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the colours look nicer matched than mixed, so I would say get that opposite neon set.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The repetition of the same old Peach-gets-kidnapped story angle sticks out in an otherwise conceptually imaginative game, and it's pretty clearly done out of a sort of obstinate sense of series tradition, and I think its fair to comment on that in a review because it's fair to comment on ANY aspect of a game in a review.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You could just have Peach be an NPC, who's just around, doin' stuff. Maybe she has an item shop. Maybe she flies the spaceship. Let her have a nice time not being a prisoner, I think.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only way that's remotely possible is if the person(s) on the firmware team who got it running didn't document it properly. It may have come together pretty easily, but the system's not going to accept a 4-port Gamecube adapter with flawless button mapping without some deliberate effort. Maybe I'd believe it was accidental if everything worked except the triggers, or something like that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The devs can definitely do all the movement tech stunts in the game even better than the Youtube hotshots, because that's what happens when you spend every shift at work for multiple years building and testing a single game. If they put coins in a place that requires outrageous jumps then yes, they know how to do the jumps.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dinosaur music in Mario Odyssey (also used in the trailer) is trying so hard to recapture Gusty Garden Galaxy, and like, nah, you can't do it. You can't top GGG for swelling adventurous orchestral music, forget it, go try something else.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No it's not? It's a different piece with a completely different melody that's trying for the same structure/feel.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo probably would not have arrived at the Switch concept without the Wii U as an iteration along the way. The Switch is basically the result of them taking the Wii U and going "poo poo, this would work better if the guts of the system were in the Gamepad".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hard pass.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's various factors that contribute to whether cheesecake works well or just comes off as alienating. I think Bayonetta works because it's kind of holistic in its design, everything about the game's aesthetic and narrative and feel ties back to the character's self-assured persona, so having her be very sexually confident ends up as a natural fit with that. Xenoblade 2 is more like, "here's a general fantasy game but also some characters are jerkoff material", which I think comes off much more dissonant and insulting.

Also Bayonetta looks like an adult and the XB2 gal doesn't.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

i know exactly who gets to decide what sexuality is and isnt acceptable: a bunch of 40 year old men on something awful

What is the correct age and gender for a person to state the opinion "its bad when anime sexualizes kids"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The end goal of anime is the perfect synthesis of woman and child. Thus, the infantilization of adult women and the sexualization of young children are merely two sides of the same coin.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If a game can't sell me on the characters (and this game absolutely definitely can't, it's gross as poo poo), then it can't sell me on the story. And after XCX I don't have much confidence in the combat either. So without good story or combat, what good is a JRPG?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shut down video games

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Galgun is an old and well known perv series

Oh, it's known, that makes it okay then

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Takoluka posted:

That makes it not surprising. Gal*Gun started on the 360 and has always been exactly that.

Okay well thank you for posting about how extremely not surprised you are by the pedophile game for pedophiles. Next time I think about criticizing pedophilia I will check to make sure whether or not it's surprising.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a USB-C port, which is a relatively new standard, but not proprietary.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The joycon colour they need to put out is banana yellow. Just that nice, matte, bright school bus gold. Not this neon pear yellow business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A lot of arguments in favour of Japanese VA and stilted overly-literal translations are about getting the "original, intended" experience, but those things won't actually give you that.

Listening to a language you don't understand will never give you the same experience as someone who does. Reading stiff, stilted English will not give you the same experience as someone reading the fluent Japanese it was translated from. Localization exists to try and give you the most analogous and polished experience possible in your own language. You can have your preferences and sometimes localization is done poorly, but decrying the practice is dumb.

• Locked thread