Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Here is a thread for Summer 2017 anime Princess Principal, an anime original brought to us by Studio 3Hz, the studio behind Flip Flappers and not much else! In America, it is streaming on Sundays whenever they get around to it on Amazon Prime. It is also streaming on Hidive, I believe only outside America.

The premise is that the City of London is actually a steampunk Berlin, divided between east and west and then something something anime girl spies doing cool poo poo and murdering the gently caress out of people that look like they are from a mid-2000s edgy anime. It is written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, the man behind the plot of Code Geass and the series has similarly audacious stupidity. But it is also really cool and has great production values. Yuki Kajira, of Madoka Magica has provided the soundtrack, which is a weird but effective mix of her usual vocals and hyperactive jazz. Your enjoyment of the series is probably wholly dependent on whether you can just roll with the admittedly ridiculous premise and aesthetic, but from the premiere it seems well worth it if you can.

The main characters are as follows:

Ange: Stone cold motherfucker and overall terrible liar

Princess - Literally the princess of Not Victorian England. How she's supposed to maintain secrecy about her clandestine activities despite being universally recognized is beyond me, but will probably be a plot point.

Dorothy - She's the driver, both in the literal sense of driving the getaway cars in a manner that honors the legacy of Vin Diesel and in the sense of driving operations of the group

Beatrice - Saved by princess as a child, unending devotion to her according to the promotional materials. Didn't receive much characterization in the premiere but I expect her to shout daisuki at some point.

Chise - Japanese ninja

Also the OP is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjqkATvH9M

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the team and names attached to this basically make it an all-star project for me and the first ep didn't fail to deliver. as a sidenote, this show makes me excited to see how the new Kino no Tabi handles Kuroboshi's modern style

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Part of being a spy means having good bedside manner...

https://my.mixtape.moe/lrpzbd.webm

Excellent first episode, it hit every note just about perfectly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Steampunk Gunslinger Girls steeped in a heavy dose of John le Carre? I'm intrigued so far.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Cute Girls Doing Spy Things

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Cute Girls Doing Lie Things

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tinker, Tailor, Tsundere, Spy

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Spaifu

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The premiere was both fantastically stylish and fantastically stupid. I loved it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Frankly, if little girls have already been assassins, weapons of mass destruction and even Word War II battleships...seeing them as spies doesn't strike me as inconceivable.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Command Ant posted:

Hahahaha the first watch I totally missed that girl in the bed across the room freaking the gently caress out.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I probably missed some lines because I was just transfixed on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

The premiere was both fantastically stylish and fantastically stupid. I loved it.

I really loving loved the Gravity Rush poo poo in that first action sequence. I hope there's a lot of that.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Excuse me this is dieselpunk not steampunk

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This was stupid, overdone and I loved every loving second of it. And I want more!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Command Ant posted:

just inject 200mg of morphine directly into my jugular

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Great show so far. Only one ep. in, but still, an excellent start!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Show's goofy as gently caress but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in where it goes from here. Fingers crossed it ends up more like Code Geass and less like Guilty Crown.

Still feels like I missed something though--why did they sedate (or kill) the woman in the next bed?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Show's goofy as gently caress but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in where it goes from here. Fingers crossed it ends up more like Code Geass and less like Guilty Crown.

Still feels like I missed something though--why did they sedate (or kill) the woman in the next bed?

She was a plant for the Enemy. We saw a couple of the Duke's agents leave just as Ange and Alice are showing up. Ange spotted the girl in the next bed perk up when Alice was talking to Amy about Eric, so she knew the girl was a plant and dealt with her with the (probably) morphine she stole from the nurse they passed.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

She also later shows up in the Normandy team's place right before they get raided. She's got a top hat on and her neck is bandaged.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I suspected it was something like that, but I missed the tell earlier. Presumably the girl across the aisle was smart enough to claim she slept through the whole thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad 3hz is getting to make two good original anime in a row

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i'm glad 3hz is getting to make two good original anime in a row

yeah this was one of the main reasons i was really looking forward to this show

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a kitten posted:

:drat:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Guess it's time to pay up for Amazon Prime.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ain't on Prime, it's on a separate Amazon-owned streaming service which is not included in the Prime fee. They've erected a wall between the different selections, you see. :v:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I just appreciate the hell out of the Berlinized Victorian steampunk or whatever microgenre of steampunk variant this is. Plus there's a lot of little details that just merge so well into the period - the style of civilian clothing for women seems to have that classic bustier dress look about it with different trimmings.

The one thing I'm curious about - the Akari clone can do the voice change, is that thanks to the Unobtainium that Ange has to chill down to re-use and Chise has to wind up to use as a flashbang? Or is she just very talented?

Either way this is AOTS for me. I hope the inevitable ~school hijinks~ continue to take a backseat to the goodness. Special Agent Yuki Nagato is also pretty good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The part I really think I like is that not only is this alt history, it's batshit alt history. London is Cold War Berlin, but it appears that we still have Normandy which explains the split being in London.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The part I really think I like is that not only is this alt history, it's batshit alt history. London is Cold War Berlin, but it appears that we still have Normandy which explains the split being in London.

Didn't they mention something about being as powerful as the Romans? Wouldn't be surprised to see them controlling like half of Europe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Didn't they mention something about being as powerful as the Romans? Wouldn't be surprised to see them controlling like half of Europe.

I assumed that was just The British Empire and us having 2/3 of the world. That still leaves the question of how the colonies are split though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Spy Who Lo-"...It-it's not like I Loved you or anything, okay?!" Me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

"B-be-be-betsuni!" :blush:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

If the writer is from Code Geass then maybe this serves as part of the ATB timeline and technically is in-universe canon to Code Geass?

AnacondaHL posted:

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, But Not Because You Offered, Baka, It's Just That It Was Really Cold Out There, Don't Read Too Much Into It

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

a kitten posted:

thread title please

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MJP posted:

If the writer is from Code Geass then maybe this serves as part of the ATB timeline and technically is in-universe canon to Code Geass?

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, But Not Because You Offered, Baka, It's Just That It Was Really Cold Out There, Don't Read Too Much Into It

:golfclap:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MJP posted:

Either way this is AOTS for me. I hope the inevitable ~school hijinks~ continue to take a backseat to the goodness. Special Agent Yuki Nagato is also pretty good.

Oh, so that's why I liked Ange so immediately.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Holy poo poo the second episode was so good. CG cars and dancing wasn't actually that awful either!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It took a bit longer than it probably should've for me to catch on that the whole episode was a flashback, but yeah, I enjoyed it. Curious to see how things progress from here.

Does Princess actually care about the order of succession, I wonder, or was she just bullshitting an excuse to work with her old friend?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does Princess actually care about the order of succession, I wonder, or was she just bullshitting an excuse to work with her old friend?

Her old friend THAT IS ACTUALLY THE PRINCESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Her old friend THAT IS ACTUALLY THE PRINCESS.

Oh wait did I miss that

Oops

• Locked thread