Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This show is so drat good! I wasn't expecting Kakegurui and Made in Abyss to have a rival for best of the season but this certainly is one.

An interesting thing I just read was that episode 1 was titled "Case 13" and this episode was "Case 1". A good way to keep a timeline and let watchers know when an episode takes place if they're going to be jumping around a lot.

Reddit's also managed to get most of the text on the note at the end.

Fantastic twist at the end. It would be cool if the two's motive really was to somehow end up as Queen in the end. Its probably something less sinister though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wasn't 'spy games at an all-girl's school' a plotline in Foyle's War or something? Or one of those other mystery series the BBC churns out like Japan does isekai light novels at any rate. Not with the radioactive magic engines obviously, but one of you must know the show I'm thinking about. Can't think of the name and it's driving me crazy.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm very happy that Princess is secretly vying for the throne and enlists the help of these spies to become Queen. I feel like that adds a lot to her character

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm very happy that Princess is secretly vying for the throne and enlists the help of these spies to become Queen. I feel like that adds a lot to her character

But is she? The end of the episode makes that sound like an excuse.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But is she? The end of the episode makes that sound like an excuse.

It's unclear, but we could look at it both ways. Even if it was ultimately useful for their purposes, Ange didn't order her to say that. Maybe she either wants it for herself or at least feels it would be a fair thing to ask for Ange's sake. In any case, I also like that she was so proactive about it.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 16, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Her old friend THAT IS ACTUALLY THE PRINCESS.
Where did you get that from?

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
If nothing else, it at least makes it feel a little less silly that the princess is a part of the spy team, both that she's not next in line and that she forced her way in.

That gives me a good feeling about this show.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sindai posted:

Where did you get that from?

The note she passes to Princess is signed Charlotte and Princess calls Ange Charlotte at the end. Normandy calls Princess Charlotte.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Holy poo poo guys this is a big twist and some of you MISSED it? It was signposted twice, once subtly and literally said at the end of the episode!

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Holy poo poo guys this is a big twist and some of you MISSED it? It was signposted twice, once subtly and literally said at the end of the episode!

I blame being spoon-fed plot and minimal critical thinking over the years :downs:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I had to have someone confirm it before I was sure. Considering the gravity of it, it seemed pretty casually revealed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hell yes, it really is like a le Carre story with anime girls. The head of the agency is even named Control...or that is the name of the agency i'm too tickled by the main twist to remember exactly.

In any case: good poo poo.

e: also

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
yup anime of the season

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Homura and Sickle posted:

yup anime of the season

:agreed:

Dorothy ended up stealing this episode with scenes like this one.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
op owns, has the show progressed enough where the principal part makes sense

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gamerofthegame posted:

It already makes sense, if perhaps being a bit redundant with princess.

From Google:

prin·ci·pal ˈprinsəpəl/
adjective: principal

first in order of importance; main.
"the country's principal cities"

noun
noun: principal; plural noun: principals

the person with the highest authority or most important position in an organization, institution, or group.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Principal is the codename for the main team

There's another team codenamed "Wall" that hasn't appeared on screen so far, probably because it's not made up of cute girls

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, Cavorite is a direct lift from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics. Like, it even looks identical.

Technically, it originally showed up in HG Wells's 'The First Men in the Moon', but the look and the armada of Cavorite-powered battleships are all LXG.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 17, 2017

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Tamba posted:

There's another team codenamed "Wall" that hasn't appeared on screen so far, probably because it's not made up of cute girls

Seems like it's not even codenames really, just that in addition to the main team there's another one responsible for stuff related to the literal wall separating east/west berlin london.

Anyways, this show is really good so far.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Myself and a buddy picked this show up not expecting much. Actually, we were expecting a trainwreck. Cut girls doing spy things? How could it possibly be good?

Well, we're onboard now and we really, really want to set a Spirit of the Century campaign in Walled London.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, Cavorite is a direct lift from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics. Like, it even looks identical.

Technically, it originally showed up in HG Wells's 'The First Men in the Moon', but the look and the armada of Cavorite-powered battleships are all LXG.

Ah! Thank you, i knew i knew it from somewhere, but forgot to actually do a drat search for it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this show is smarter than i'd thought it would be. a rather rare thing for anime

oh but the artstyle for the girls doesn't work at all

Davincie fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 17, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I love the plotting on this show.

Operation Changeling was (presumably) a plan by the West to replace the East's Princess Charlotte with their agent Ange who someone realized looked just like the Princess except for her hair....because no one but the two themselves realize that Ange and Charlotte had already switched places years ago because of that similarity!

Also, when you look back at it, all the times Princess tells Beatrice to shut it because Ange is "disrespecting" royalty has added meaning when you realize that Princess knows who the real royalty is!

All that said I''m not sure I've ever seen a show whose ending credits are more at odd with the actual contents of its show!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh, I finally get it. The title of this show makes more sense as "Principal Princess" but that sounds worse as a title.

Best not to think about it though, a la Attack on Titan.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

All of this is smoke and mirrors to hide the true discovery of the century. It's a psychological phenomenon revolving around the ability of heirs of the royal blood to effect massive change: The Princess Principle.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Oh the big reveal depended on paying attention to names, that explains it. I couldn't have told you the name of a single person in the show until now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

to steal someone elses screenshot, they hinted at it earlier too

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The best part is They've probably got a greater power behind her! (turns out the greater power is Ange, best spy 2017).

If you wanted some good spy shenanigans, this is it. This does right literally everything Joker Game did wrong.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy molly the amount of small details this show has in just the first episode. Eric's gun still had the rounds inside it, she was lying to him there too. I thought she was using her own pistol in that scene

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 18, 2017

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I love shows where events in later episodes let you go back and watch from the beginning with a whole different interpretation of what you thought you saw.

That this is doing so from the second episode is fantastic.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Holy molly the amount of small details this show has in just the first episode. Eric's gun still had the rounds inside it, she was lying to him there too. I thought she was using her own pistol in that scene

I noticed that too, and that's when I decided this show might be something special

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Do you think they ever tell Beatrice about the switch? It would be needlessly cruel of them not to, and I doubt it would change her feelings towards Princess anyway.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That scene was one of the best climaxes to an episode I've seen in a long time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I liked episode 1 well enough but episode 2 was something else. That's an incredibly good episode 2 twist right there, it basically changes the entire story of that episode and it throws doubts on what's been built to be the premise of the show. It was good stuff.

Also, i'm glad this thread is full of people smarter than me because I completely missed this bit from episode 1.

jng2058 posted:

She was a plant for the Enemy. We saw a couple of the Duke's agents leave just as Ange and Alice are showing up. Ange spotted the girl in the next bed perk up when Alice was talking to Amy about Eric, so she knew the girl was a plant and dealt with her with the (probably) morphine she stole from the nurse they passed.

I hope the show keeps it up with the neat touches and I guess sorta subtle story telling? Subtle's probably the wrong word but I like how it's expecting the viewer to be paying attention.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, i'm glad this thread is full of people smarter than me because I completely missed this bit from episode 1.

Later in the episode you see the same girl on the enemy team, with her neck bandaged.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tamba posted:

Later in the episode you see the same girl on the enemy team, with her neck bandaged.

I thought it was a different girl because I wasn't paying attention when she got drugged. I thought there was something up with that girl but I didn't put two and two together.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
great ep but i only expect greater when they introduce chise

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Space Flower posted:

great ep but i only expect greater when they introduce chise

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Gave this a try because all the talk on the Summer thread, goodness gracious was not disappointed. That was a great way to introduce a major new plot element, just demurely laying their cards on the table and letting the audience work it out themselves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

this show is smarter than i'd thought it would be. a rather rare thing for anime

Yeah the first episode was kind of shaky but I liked the second one.

Davincie posted:

oh but the artstyle for the girls doesn't work at all

I also wish they were a little more adventurous with their visual designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I missed out on Senko no Night Raid/Night Raid 1931, and any other intelligence operative/spy series that weren't ACCA, so this is such a huge refreshing breath of fresh genre air that it's freaking palpable.

Is it just me or have there been no good spy series in recent years other than the above?

• Locked thread