Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Inviting a foreign power to run roughshod in your territory is a terrible idea, as it opens you up to attacks from your political opponents. An attack via trains and derailments and explosives isn't something you can easily sweep under the rug. No, if the Duke of Normandy really suspected Princess, he'd not stoop to something risky and crude like that, he'd start running surveillance and counterintelligence against them.

And if that surveillance was discovered by anyone, we wouldn't be calling him the Duke of Normandy much longer. I mean, I can't imagine the queen would be too happy about him spying on her granddaughter. Next he might start looking into what she was doing herself, and if history is anything to go by, she's probably got at least a few questionable operations set up.

One of the main reasons that having the Princess as a double agent is so valuable is because it pretty much makes them untouchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is set in the 19th century right, is Princess's grandmother Queen Victoria or this world's equivalent anyway?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beatos dad is a horrible monster that experimented on he .... he did nothing wrong. Beatos dad created a time machine that let him see that she was going to be beheaded by a renegade samurai assassin and gave her an iron neck so she wouldn't die. Her vocal cords were a small price to pay.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How and why does the White Dove Team lack sufficient tradecraft? Don't tell me they're all gonna get killed by the end. :negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are too noticeable. the princess keeps going places, half her entourage disappears and then things start exploding.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They also can't seem to get straight whether they're her servants/bodyguards or her school friends.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
They seem to be counting on dealing with different groups of soldiers. Which might work for a while, but not forever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dorothy has made herself memorable during every job they've done.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

a kitten posted:

This is set in the 19th century right, is Princess's grandmother Queen Victoria or this world's equivalent anyway?

She looks pretty much exactly like the historical Victoria.

Also I'm pretty sure Normandy is a Royal as well? Princess called him Uncle didn't she?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I do kinda wish they didn't hand-wave away how Chise actually got assigned to the team. So Dorothy just schtupped Lord Horikawa and was all like "hey look how awesome the Commonwealth is, plus the Kingdom has a counterintelligence officer in charge of the rails, how about you guys side with us?

Some seriously amazing fight choreography, although I wonder why the heck Chise didn't just slice the darn rope

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they shouldn't have done more introductory exposition, previous episode was fine

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if she doesn't outright betray her team chise is getting an excellent view of the conflict between the sole superpowers in the world. they are receiving such amazing intel at no cost while also getting rid of a girl they probably don't quite know what to do with. heck, even if chise gets caught she is spectacularly easy to disavow thanks to who her father was.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
From the way he was talking, it sounds like the Duke didn't want Princess assassinated with the Japanese envoy. Instead, he wanted the meeting to go disastrously wrong for her. That way, if she tried to make any waves in the future, she would have a stain on her reputation that could easily be used against her. It would certainly be better than the fallout over royalty being assassinated.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

paragon1 posted:

She looks pretty much exactly like the historical Victoria.

That's what i thought, but i'm no queenologist.

unrelated:

:yeah:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is the delightful kind of insanity I can only get from anime.

Ed: Oh man it's so good

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 8, 2017

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Now I just want to know more about this whole Chise's dad situation. The Boshin War ended in 1869 and this show has to be in the 1890s. What happened for him to suddenly dig up a grudge from before Chise was born and start killing nobility? I thought they'd at least temper it with a story about how he had a score to settle with Horikawa specifically but in he just dies without even trying to justify it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pitch posted:

Now I just want to know more about this whole Chise's dad situation. The Boshin War ended in 1869 and this show has to be in the 1890s. What happened for him to suddenly dig up a grudge from before Chise was born and start killing nobility? I thought they'd at least temper it with a story about how he had a score to settle with Horikawa specifically but in he just dies without even trying to justify it.

Alternate history and alternate universe plus no confirmed dates. It's clear Chise's dad turned traitor after Chise was born, else she'd probably be on board with him.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Specifically she dates his "death" from two years ago, so that's when he turned traitor. I wonder if that was about the time that SteamPunk Japan started talking with the Kingdom of Albion?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I thought steampunk Japan was too busy fighting kabane

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCGWoP-aPhM

i love this channel too much

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Please stop bullying Beato

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pripri_anime/status/895844868555120640

It's becoming unclear whether Princess is actually gunning for the throne or just assembling a harem of cute spy girlfriends.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's becoming unclear whether Princess is actually gunning for the throne or just assembling a harem of cute spy girlfriends.

The first helps facilitate the second, really.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Please stop bullying Beato

never

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:vince:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Spiritus Nox posted:

why not both

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

New episode up

Dorothy episode too.

Jesus Christ that ending was gut wrenching even if predictable.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

C-SPAN Caller posted:

New episode up

Dorothy episode too.

Jesus Christ that ending was gut wrenching even if predictable.

We even got to find that Dorothy got her code name from her mum!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And finally one of the most important tools of spycraft is utilised: the nondescript park bench.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat this show crafts some good scenes. That ending.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The overarching plot of the newest episode wasn't too great, in my opinion, and the ending leaves me with a few mixed feelings on the emotional front...but I liked seeing Dorothy and Beato getting some development as well as a couple of other character interaction scenes here and there.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 13, 2017

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I really like this show but I'm finding it increasingly hard to suspend my disbelief that their enemies haven't figured out who they are yet.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Something I noticed;
After Princess hears about the experience of working in the morgue, during the next scene in the morgue we briefly see a veiled lady working there, who could it be?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Something I noticed;
After Princess hears about the experience of working in the morgue, during the next scene in the morgue we briefly see a veiled lady working there, who could it be?

there's a shot that holds on her as that guy who messed up his leg in the war is explaining that people come to the morgue to disappear

it could be nothing or it could be anything

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I really like this show but I'm finding it increasingly hard to suspend my disbelief that their enemies haven't figured out who they are yet.

I'm pretty sure the show stopped expecting us to think too hard about the actual spycraft angle around the time they actually used the "two children stacked on top of eachother inside a trenchcoat" gambit with a straight face :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure nothing in this show was done with a straight face.

The end of episode 6 was done with a :cry: face

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Saw that ending coming.

...just like he did! :haw:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011