Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/terazip/status/928428814119591936

quote:

When I was making a Riko brush, she lost her humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Human Rikopede

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 9, 2017

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:)

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I finally finished with the show. Seeing and hearing the scenes was a lot more impactful than just reading them. Reg trying to rip off Riku's arm, and pretty much everything with Mitty and Nanachi's origins particularly stand out, but everything about the art, music, and voice acting was shockingly good.

Given how much the people were talking up Bonedrewd I thought he'd be more prominent. Something to look forward to next season I guess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Galvanik posted:

I finally finished with the show. Seeing and hearing the scenes was a lot more impactful than just reading them. Reg trying to rip off Riku's arm, and pretty much everything with Mitty and Nanachi's origins particularly stand out, but everything about the art, music, and voice acting was shockingly good.

Given how much the people were talking up Bonedrewd I thought he'd be more prominent. Something to look forward to next season I guess.

Motherfucker leaves an impression.

Soundtrack deserves a bit more love than I've seen it get, too - it was freakishly good.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I've already ordered my vinyl.

https://qrates.com/artists/13017/items/14365

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Me too, now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Motherfucker leaves an impression.

Soundtrack deserves a bit more love than I've seen it get, too - it was freakishly good.

Its arguably my favorite soundtrack of all time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I binge watched this anime.
It is a really good and gruesome anime. Mitty's scene teared me up.

I hope we get a season 2

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Sefal posted:

I binge watched this anime.
It is a really good and gruesome anime. Mitty's scene teared me up.

I hope we get a season 2

There’s plenty of material for season 2. The Bondrewd fight is going to be amazing animated.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Theres actually not enough material for a full second season, yet

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It also took 4 months for the newest chapter to come out, so it will be a while. (No, it's not yet translated)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I never watch Anime (I've seen Ghibli and Attack on Titan and that's it) and it was really surprising to me not to see any of the reviews mention the weird child sexualisation stuff. I'm glad people here have said it because if this level is normal then that's really creepy. I wanted to recommend it to other people but I don't think I can!

Is there anything similar out there? Exploring a crazy world with big monsters around? I'm thinking of the game Xenoblade and of this, really.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I read some huge article by a guy a few months ago and tldr Made in Abyss was one of the most amazing show he's ever seen but he just couldn't recommend it to people because of some of the problematic elements.

idk something about that just seemed really pathetic to me. There's way worse poo poo out there that has had mass appeal (like Stephen King's IT which I mentioned earlier) and I've already recommended the show/manga to a few friends that are only casually into anime and they all liked it a lot. I mean if I'm capable of appreciating a work while acknowledging its problems I think most people are capable of doing the same and I feel it's insulting to assume they can't.

It's probably always a good idea to let people know what they're getting into tho but tbh Anime is the only medium I've ever seen people act this way about, at least online. "Oh you like Anime what's your favorite one?", "Oh I love X", "Oh do you recommend I watch X", "er... no watch Spirited Away"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

idk something about that just seemed really pathetic to me. There's way worse poo poo out there that has had mass appeal (like Stephen King's IT which I mentioned earlier) and I've already recommended the show/manga to a few friends that are only casually into anime and they all liked it a lot. I mean if I'm capable of appreciating a work while acknowledging its problems I think most people are capable of doing the same and I feel it's insulting to assume they can't.

The adaptations of IT don't include the weird sex stuff though.
Bits like the uncle pulling back Reg's pants to talk about his penis are just creepy as hell and would make people turn off.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I specifically meant the book which is still really well recommended and well received despite the gross stuff. Most people read it, talk about it, mention how gross and bad that one part is. I haven't seen anyone condemn the person that recommended it to them.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
FWIW, I recommended this show to my friends and a few of them binged it and loved it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"There's worse stuff!" Is a terrible argument. For all you know that person wouldn't recommend IT either. People have different thresholds for stuff.

Also books and anime aren't really comparable. A book can mention a terrible thing and it would be very different in terms of impact from being shown on screen.

Also if you *can* recommend your favourite work in a medium to a newbie in that medium that kinda implies you are a newbie in the medium yourself....

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 14, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fangz posted:

"There's worse stuff!" Is a terrible argument. For all you know that person wouldn't recommend IT either. People have different thresholds for stuff.

Also books and anime aren't really comparable. A book can mention a terrible thing and it would be very different in terms of impact from being shown on screen.

Also if you *can* recommend your favourite work in a medium to a newbie in that medium that kinda implies you are a newbie in the medium yourself....

lol no.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Taear posted:

I never watch Anime (I've seen Ghibli and Attack on Titan and that's it) and it was really surprising to me not to see any of the reviews mention the weird child sexualisation stuff. I'm glad people here have said it because if this level is normal then that's really creepy. I wanted to recommend it to other people but I don't think I can!

Is there anything similar out there? Exploring a crazy world with big monsters around? I'm thinking of the game Xenoblade and of this, really.

i can't speak specifically to any reviews since i at most skimmed the ann weekly ones, but plenty of people outside sa were at least mentioning the less savory aspects. it seems like the relatively low amount of that stuff in relation to how good the rest of the show was resulted in a skew towards positive reviews, also the show ditching that stuff in the second half. i don't think there's anything wrong with recommending the show, but that's down to knowing the people you're recommending to.

Toriko is a goofy action take in a setting similar to MiA, where people explore dangerous regions of earth to hunt monsters and other foods. I'd recommend the manga over the anime though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and uh yeah, the level of that stuff in MiA isn't normal, though it's also not among the most egregious

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Sefal posted:

FWIW, I recommended this show to my friends and a few of them binged it and loved it.

Same for some of my friends who aren't bothered by it much as long as it's not creepy about it, and for others it's basically

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can be uncomfortable with aspects of the show and still enjoy it for the most part. My biggest issue recommending it is that I can't be certain others will react the same way and then hey I'm the guy who recommended that pedo show way to go.

Which is why I basically shut up about it :shrug: .. If it's good enough people will probably find it on their own.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I feel like some of you guys are getting way too hung up on one minor thing. The scenes have a minute or two of screen time on a several hour long show. How much of an insecure nerd can you be? No sane adult human being will interpret that as a pedo thing. It's just an attempt at being funny that's in slightly poor taste. Nothing more. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be met with eye-rolling and be told to grow up.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

cosmo321 posted:

I feel like some of you guys are getting way too hung up on one minor thing.

Hee hee hee!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think it just speaks volumes to the level of tolerance anime watchers will apparently develop in the face of child sexualisation. It is very noticeable in the series, and it is unnerving. What makes it worse than things I've previously watched (although as I've said, I don't apparently watch the right shows to see "bad" examples) is that it isn't just a clear fop to the audience of horny teenagers. I don't get cynical "fan service" vibes from it at all. Just a steady flow of sexually charged situations between 11 year olds or whatever, some of which are played for laughs, but most of which are bizarre decisions made by the author out of what appears to be personal taste.

Any anime forum is a terrible place to try and bring up these concerns as a good deal of the people stepping into defend it on artistic grounds or by comparative fallacy probably jack it to anime children on the regs anyway. It's less the explicit nature of the content in the series, and more the way you get a deepening impression that the author is just presenting their personal fetishes on the page. And as somebody raised earlier on in the thread, once that seed of doubt is planted about the author's intentions, you both see it everywhere and you start to question other things like "are the little girls all suffering for plot purposes or because this is just another one of his 'things'."

Anyway, good series, but it'd be great if people stopped cropping up to downplay the weird child sex stuff in this series. It's 100% a good reason to be hesitant to recommend this to somebody unfamiliar with how anime is. And by "how it is" I mean, how unrelentingly sexist it is, and how it fetishises children/youth as a matter of course.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If I wanted to recommend media to people (not just anime, but also books, games, etc), it's really not like I'm so short on options that I'll have to dip into the "it's really good if you ignore all the sexy kids" pool. I'd have to be alarmingly obstinate and socially obtuse to recommend Made in Abyss to someone who hasn't seen Spirited Away yet.

quote:

Different tone, but Mushishi.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 15, 2017

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Jeza posted:

Anyway, good series, but it'd be great if people stopped cropping up to downplay the weird child sex stuff in this series

It would be even greater if people stopped cropping up to hyperbolize it.

It's not any worse than what you would see in a Jodorowsky movie, and it would get annoying real quick if someone kept bringing up complaints about 'creepy' things in a conversation about his films.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Command Ant posted:

It's not any worse than what you would see in a Jodorowsky movie, and it would get annoying real quick if someone kept bringing up complaints about 'creepy' things in a conversation about his films.

quote:

"When I wanted to do the rape scene, I explained to [Mara Lorenzio] that I was going to hit her and rape her. There was no emotional relationship between us, because I had put a clause in all the women's contracts stating that they would not make love with the director. We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib...I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really...I really...I really raped her. And she screamed ... Then she told me that she had been raped before. You see, for me the character is frigid until El Topo rapes her. And she has an orgasm. That's why I show a stone phallus in that scene ... which spouts water. She has an orgasm. She accepts the male sex. And that's what happened to Mara in reality. She really had that problem. Fantastic scene. A very, very strong scene."

Remind me not to recommend Jodorowsky to anyone

Anyway Jodorowsky is mainly saved from that fate by the fact that a vanishingly small number of people have conversations about his films, even within the pool of people who talk about films. If he was somehow lined up to direct the next MCU movie the rape stuff will be *all* that is talked about.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 15, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Command Ant posted:

There's no hyperbole. Somebody came into the thread and said, wow I'm glad people mentioned the child sexualisation here unlike in other places that ignore it, I found it off-putting and wouldn't want to recommend it on that basis. However, I thought it was good in other ways and are there alternatives without the shady pedo sub-text?

To which several people came in, again, to downplay it and say it's fine or not as bad as "X".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it would probably be less weird and more productive if people phrased things in terms of their own comfort levels, or at least the lens they're looking at the series through. instead of this bullshit where everyone wades in to tell someone they need to change their perfectly normal reaction that wasn't even expressed confrontationally.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Taear posted:

Shin Sekai Yori gave me some similar vibes to this show. Kids exploring how strange their world is and getting in way over their heads

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cephas posted:

Shin Sekai Yori gave me some similar vibes to this show. Kids exploring how strange their world is and getting in way over their heads

Do I have to remind you of the Bonobo comparison?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Command Ant posted:

this is just blatantly disingenuous coming from you. i don't like seeing the dude whose entire posting history on this board (and the various 'post weird fanart without context' threads in gbs/pyf) is 'wink, nudge' posts about sexual/fetish content in anime, talking down to people who are just saying they find parts of a show uncomfortable.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

*in the most Al-Pacino-in-Devil's-Advocate voice possible*
Who, in their right mind, Space Flower, could possibly deny that all of ADTRW's seasonal favorites have problematic elements? ALL OF THEM SPACE FLOWER!

Thing is, it's really only an issue if someone's advocating you watch Made in Abyss with your kids because they liked Spirited Away (which p. much the entire thread was mocking a few pages ago); or if the person who watched (and enjoyed, mostly, I think?) the show but found certain parts distasteful is extrapolating that out to "if you discuss the show without frequently castigating yourself for enjoying it you are literally a nonce in the making." Which again, is not the impression I got?

I know Space Flower isn't even the most deeply involved in this discussion, but his name scanned the best

Unless Space Flower was mounting a passionate defense of watching Symphogear with your kids in that show's thread and I missed it, but that would just make the whole thing funnier tbh

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Space Flower posted:

this is just blatantly disingenuous coming from you. i don't like seeing the dude whose entire posting history on this board (and the various 'post weird fanart without context' threads in gbs/pyf) is 'wink, nudge' posts about sexual/fetish content in anime, talking down to people who are just saying they find parts of a show uncomfortable.

This description of me is untrue to the point of being slanderous.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Command Ant posted:

This is the weirdest deflection so far in this discussion, good job :thumbsup:

Perhaps Jodorowsky movie fans should get annoyed by others repeatedly bringing up the same argument, just as we here have now expressed our annoyance at the repeated downplaying argument.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cosmo321 posted:

I feel like some of you guys are getting way too hung up on one minor thing. The scenes have a minute or two of screen time on a several hour long show. How much of an insecure nerd can you be? No sane adult human being will interpret that as a pedo thing. It's just an attempt at being funny that's in slightly poor taste. Nothing more. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be met with eye-rolling and be told to grow up.

This is what someone on an anime board elsewhere said to me. It doesn't matter that it's "just a few times". One time is enough, especially with this particular thing.
The "what's happening to your penis" bit was so unnecessary. The other bits you can almost chalk up to being weird "different culture" jokes, but not that one.

And thank you Cephas for that recommendation, I will check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Taear posted:

This is what someone on an anime board elsewhere said to me. It doesn't matter that it's "just a few times". One time is enough, especially with this particular thing.
The "what's happening to your penis" bit was so unnecessary. The other bits you can almost chalk up to being weird "different culture" jokes, but not that one.

And thank you Cephas for that recommendation, I will check it out!

This was actually a change the anime did that I couldn't follow.
Riko actually gets the hint shortly after and gets embarassed herself, so it not only deepens the proof Reg isn't just a robot, but Riko also starts to recognize it.
Remember she probed him with a stick ("huh, it broke off"), described his privates in detail on paper and generally treated him more like her late dog with super powers.

Without that, it's just an off-color joke.

• Locked thread