Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok.

I'll be voting lurkers until they are all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Confirmed!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So who here hasn't actually played FF4?

Because I am super confused already.

I'm pretty sure I played it.

But that was over two decades ago and I don't remember anything.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

##vote flerp

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I don't think I played that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

What is dead may never die.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Incorrect. I have a six sided cube, made of dinosaur bone marked with pips.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Man I hate this vote, what is wrong with you

Hi Hal, what's up?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, at the end of the day my vote will be on the worst lurker as I posted pregame. I'll keep doing that until no one is lurking or the game is over. (barring solid evidence of someone's scumitude causing me to branch out)

Should be relatively easy to not be a lurker in this game judging by the amount of posts thus far, so hopefully the lurkers step it up.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Kinda lame IMO

Eh. I keep trying to let it go and I keep getting burned in the games I play by lurking scum. I'd rather just do this for awhile in my games until the lurking problem improves in SA Mafia or at least the scum lurkers are forced to start posting in games I'm in.

Worst case scenario, town loses because the scum in the game were actually forced to post, but if they are posting, they might be caught by the people playing normally so it will all work out.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

My issue is twofold. One you aren't taking any ownership of what you do which is inherently scummy especially as you say you are willing to do it multiple days.

Second "lurking" is a very arbitrary factor. I could only post 5 times but they are 5 quality posts whereas someone else could spam "gently caress lurkers" 20 times and contribute nothing but some chump clicks the post count button and writes off justifying killing me based on that.

I guess it depends on what criteria you are going on but the whole thing in general is a bad policy that makes me suspicious of anyone who is using that alone as a vote basis and also completely allows the scum to guarantee town misdunks very easily

It is inherently alignment neutral since I announced it before I had an alignment.

I actually even announced it before this game existed. At the end of my last game. As I said in that game to MMT, if it gets scum to post a lot of quality things to keep them out of my lurker sites, then my mission is still accomplished.

And no, for me, lurking can be poo poo posting too. I'm not making it just a post count only thing, although that is often enough.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mithross posted:

Infinitum has been replaced by BottleKnight.

I'm sorry you replaced into a scum role BK. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'd still take them down.

Like the reason I like people posting is that it gives chances for them to slip up more than anything. I actually value that more than I value "meaningful" content.

Like if someone effortposts 5 times they could just as easily be scum who are taking time to think as town doing the same. Honestly it's a scum tactic that seems like just a genuinely good idea.

That said I'm a giant idiot as people have rightly recognised that.

While this is technically true, this is such a rare thing that it is mostly not something we have to worry about. But for me, if they've a small number of solid effort posts(cases/alignment calls on several people/etc) then I no longer have to vote them for just lurking, I can evaluate them on content and that is even better.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BottleKnight posted:

drat, kb is so good at mafia he can tell inf was scum based on these posts alone

It's because he replaced out, not because of his posts.

But mostly I'm just being funny.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BottleKnight posted:

why does flerp have 3 votes

Apparently I'm a trend setter.

##vote CCKeane

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I like how we are four pages in and the conversation is about HOW WE'RE GOING TO GET THOSE LURKERS.

Hal's points are correct, and especially four (four!!!) pages in, discussions about lurker votes are nonsense and a good way to avoid having to say anything, since you are playing the game on autopilot.

IS is particularly bad here, and his vote on me is dumb and bad.

This also happens to me many games. I generally can't post from work, and somebody is always like "HMM PRETTY SUSPICIOUS THAT AN ADULT WITH A JOB ISN'T POSTING A LOT DURING THE DAY"

Is this angry scum Keane who is upset that a couple people are voting him for the wrong reason? :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

By all means, try me.

I just did.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

"Keane only gets mad when he's scum!" Is something Kash said a whole bunch, so it became my "scumtell".

It's frustrating because I'm a busy person, I play when I can but I don't have a job or significant downtime to be able to play real time particularly often.

I've said this many, many times the last few games, and it is very frustrating dealing with this nonsense, particularly when the "lurking" is because I wasn't online during a workday.

For me it was when I was casing you for a word choice when I had you copped as scum secretly and you got SUPER mad. I don't recall the Kash thing you are referring to.

Also, re: lurking, the day has been open for well over 24 hours. It wasn't just today.

For me at least, a reminder that I posted I was doing this before the game started. So it shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I'm not scum, no, I'm sick of being called a lurker for not posting during work hours.

But again KB, please, feel free to vote me on the merit of "Keane is annoyed that he has to deal with this poo poo again," maybe this time people will go "oh wait that actually is pretty irritating regardless of alignment".

Naw, that's not solid enough to go on D1, if you keep posting I can't imagine I'll be on you at days end.

But you claiming it is just because you didn't post during work is a straw man as I just said.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I will say I thought IS's choice of voting Keane rather than Hal, just because Hal had posted more recently when Hal still had the least posts was odd.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, I've never seen you do something like this not as scum.

Can you point to an angry town Keane game for me?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

"This man CLAIMS he could not post because he was working, but he CLEARLY had time to post from his last post in the evening to today in the evening! What other life activities could take place over a 24 hour period!"

To be clear btw, this was you moving the goal posts.

It went from, we are angry at you for not posting during work, to how dare we expect you to post in a 24 hour period.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Also, this should be cheap enough for you to do:

KB post "If Keane is town this game, I was wrong about his 'lurking' and 'getting mad' and I agree it isn't a scum tell."

If Keane is town this game, I still won't be wrong about his lurking. Lurking sucks and I'm voting lurkers in every game until they stop. But, he seems to not be lurking now, so maybe it won't be an issue this game after all! Let's see if he continues to participate this game then he won't actually be on my radar for lurking.

If Keane is town this game, I'll agree that angry Keane does not necessarily = scum. <--But I'm willing to acknowledge that without seeing his flip if he links me to an angry town Keane game that I can read now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I did post in a 24 hour period.

Read again the post I was responding to.

CCKeane posted:

"This man CLAIMS he could not post because he was working, but he CLEARLY had time to post from his last post in the evening to today in the evening! What other life activities could take place over a 24 hour period!"

I never said you didn't. I said you were moving the goal posts. And you were.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Last game I got mad in was FF5, I died before anything major happened and it wasn't as egregious, but it's the same thing: somebody posts "GEE I WONDER WHERE KEANE IS" at the end of the workday and uses that as a gotcha.

Hmmm, I didn't remember this so I went back and looked. You don't look particularly mad to me. Definitely seems different than here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824252&userid=131296#post473843401

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824252&userid=131296#post473843515

But guess we'll see.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Oh, okay, since we agree that I posted in a 24 hour period, I guess this comment:

Was irrelevant, since we all agree I was posting yesterday?

Nope. Everything I said there stands. You are doing a lot of word twisting in addition to goal post shifting. Really looking like your scum game here.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Yo, calling somebody out for lurking for not posting within a period of less than 24 hours is absurd. It's absurd.

For the record, I just voted you because you were the bottom lurker when I shifted to my lurker voting strategy instead of joke votes.

There was no call out until your outsized reaction made me clarify my stance.

Unless you consider my contentless vote a call out.

At the time I voted it was about 24 hours left in the day and for some reason my joke vote on Flerp had picked up traction.

Having said that. I emphatically disagree. I would've been fine making a callout. :)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

chaoslord posted:

Re: Keane, Yes, I think it is genuine reaction. I don't know that it says anything about his alignment but I just went through a game very recently where I got super busy all of a sudden, had some people talk about me, and then finally had free time and folks were like "Aha how convenient for you to show up now" and it frustrated the heck out of me. Like, yes, that does happen, but I think scum showing up when being prodded as such is the exception rather than the rule but our meta has it backwards. Especially someone like Keane who averages, hold on, gonna look it up but I know it's a lot... 93.8 posts a game. He's not a "lurks as scum" player, or really a "lurks" at all player, so to act like he is only posting now due to pressure votes would be something I can see him taking offense to from the principle of it. So yes, genuine reaction.

Re: KB, yeah, I think he's town. Like I disagree with him about this Keane thing, but I see what he's thinking and it's about what I would expect out of KB so I don't think he is scum just putting on a show, if that makes sense.

It's absolutely a genuine reaction. He's really mad.

But I've only seen him really mad as scum.

It's a fair point that maybe he's just getting sick of getting called out for lurking. But then he should stop lurking. :) In the game he is talking about, he was lurking HARD. He was not scum. But it certainly didn't help in a game where all the scum were also lurking HARD.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Thought so.

##vote IS

IS used post count without regard to sign up and confirmation posts, at a time when sign up and confirmation posts made up a significant amount of the thread. Coupled with the amount of nonsense posts about lurking, which are meaningless and provide no content, this is a simple way to appear to be contributing without even a hair of a regard for actually playing the game - if he was interested in going after lurkers, he would have discarded posts made before the start of day one.

He didn't.

I wasn't paying any attention to pregame posts in regards to post count either, fwiw. So not sure this is a thing.

That is typically something I do if I'm doing a deep dive on someone, not when I'm just looking for lurkers initially.

But his choice of you was odd for other reasons as I stated.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

No loving poo poo stuff gets more irritating the more you deal with it, and I'm pretty sick of this.

But tell me, master of good mafia posting, what would you say is a reasonable amount to post? When should I make sure to read the thread? What are your standards here? Because checking in once a day seems pretty reasonable, and if that ain't going to work for the thread, then sure, off me now and save everybody some frustration.

For me checking in once a day is fine, as long as that check in includes addressing all the posts made to that point.

Like I would have easily just moved my vote from you to someone else if you had just come in and responded to everything in the thread to that point with several content posts. As I said to Hal earlier, I'm fine with several content posts all in a row during your daily check in or the like. (and there is no way I'll be voting you for lurking on this day now, since you aren't, we share top poster!) ##vote Hal

But let me point out, this is NOT what you did in FF5. So can you explain to me how I should have been expecting that? You didn't post often, and when you did post, there wasn't really any content there. You mostly didn't read the thread it seemed like. Why would I expect anything different in this game?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

vector_to posted:

## unvote

Sorry I doubted you guys and caused offence.

I don't know much about Keane and KB, but this feels like a personal on going feud rather than scumtells. Keane reads angry town, KB I can't get a read on yet. Maybe when the lover's tiff is over I can get something better.

I apologise for having read games and attempting to educate myself on terminology, also for engaging in the only discussion we had at the time, which was the lurk thing. I also dropped it as soon as it became apparent it was going in circles.

Not sure what intimate knowledge I have going for me, but thank you for the compliment!

Not personal on my side. Keane is cool. I'm just anti lurker. When he lurks it bothers me for that game, when he doesn't, it doesn't. He's actually one of the better players when he plays.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

wheredashimapansat posted:

Would you believe me if I said scum tend to over react ( a genuine reaction) against a townie that keeps poking? They "blow up" is the medical term i believe.

If kb is town to you the next logical thing to ask is how good are his reads?

They do. But people under stress in RL for other reasons also over react, so it's not always a good gauge.

I remember I blew up in a game when I was traveling and stressed once and people had gotten under my skin and was town. But most of the time I'm pretty calm.

My early game reads aren't that great except for specific people I have meta on. I wouldn't say Keane is someone I have a handle on in that way unless the anger thing turns out to be a solid indicator.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I emphatically disagree even stronger, and, honestly in a "no for real for real" it's really, really lovely to demand constant attention in the thread since many people don't have the luxury of being able to check and respond to the thread consistently. I don't have the same kind of job as most people here, I am busy pretty frequently and when I'm not my internet access isn't as consistent, and it is limited to my phone. I left my house this morning and didn't have access to the thread until I came home at around 6, and checking in with this thread wasn't my top priority.

It's straight up a lovely thing to do, and it means that people who have careers and interests that consistently take them away from internet access get blasted for it.

I'm not scum, you're going to say "well you shouldn't have gotten mad then!", but either way requiring posts throughout the day - and not, say, at the same approximate time period each day other the course of two days, is an impossible bar for people in some careers to hit.

I think I've kind of already responded to the sentiment here, but not demanding constant attention. People have lives.

All I personally expect is real reads and content from people in every game day of a game they signed up for. I wouldn't be voting someone for lurking that did that. Again, I was on you for lurking because you were the most lurky at the time. I'm not going to wait till the literal last minute in the day to place my lurker vote. That wouldn't be very effective. It's a shifting thing until it's not needed at all.

From my perspective, it's a straight up lovely thing to do, to sign up for games and not do the above. It's like imagine sitting around the table playing a board game and every time it comes to someon'es turn they are outside smoking/talking on their cell phone and everyone has to wait for them. Or, real life mafia, imagine someone is there at the start but then just gets up and walks away and isn't there for a day at all. And we somehow have to play the game around your absence when you could still be scum and we can't read you.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Dude, you work in an office at a computer for your job, I work in boiler rooms. That game I was busier than I was expecting, but you really can't expect people to be able to check into a thread for the majority of the hours of the day, it really isn't reasonable.

Yup. As stated, I really don't.

CCKeane posted:

A good idea.

Tomorrow I will be light on posting, since I have work, a softball game, and then the first game of my summer dodgeball league. I'll try to post some in the late evening and, if I can, during my lunch break.

I hope that nips stuff in the bud!

This is a good time to point out that tomorrow's deadline is at a weird time. 4pm PDT. 21 hours from now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

And my status at the time is generally driving. I'll try to be on from my son's TKD on my phone right before that if needed.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

As I said before, I think tabling the broad discussion until the game is over is prudent and fair, though any specific cases on lurking and responses to those cases are still fair game. Does this seem reasonable to you?

I'm still a few posts behind, but yeah this is fine so we don't derail the thread much more.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

wheredashimapansat posted:

Hmmmmmmmmm so what you're saying is we have two townies and need to look elsewhere? I am only concerned that keane gave him a verbal beat down and kb backed off. If I'm on you for a perceived tell then I'm on you until that tell is proven wrong. I may unvote vector not sure yet I would maybe vote jeabus or join an existing wagon. The latter is probably better.

I don't think I have backed off at all.

I moved my lurker vote to Hal because Keane isn't lurking. When the world is good, there are no lurkers, and I switch gears to voting based on content, I might still be voting Keane for his anger possibly being scum meta if I haven't identified anyone scummier.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

vector_to posted:

Thank you for the clarification! I'm not up to speed on everyone's meta, so I hope that doesn't become a driving point.

I get the strongest town read off Keane, as I said before. His case on IS is solid if everyone is playing at his level, but i don't think IS, or myself for that matter, are. I like KB, but i'm gonna side with chaos' read on him. Keane was a bad target to tunnel, but he's recognised it and backed off. Until the discussion becomes less meta, not sure.( Also not sure why people are voting Hal now? Did I miss something there?)

Whilst I don't agree with how Keane got there, I'm leaning ever so slightly towards scrum on IS. His defence against Keane's attack was kinda weak, and until I hear more from him and can make a more sound judgement, he'd be my pick for scrum from the three of them. I'm gonna re-read their fight to evidence this, one sec.

I switched my lurker vote to Hal, the current top contender.

He's probably going to check in and start posting once he's home though, so I doubt it will stay there.

Yorkshire Tea 9
Hal Incandenza 8
BottleKnight 7
Infinitum 4

Post counts for the record. I'm combining BK's and Inf's in my head.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Mithross posted:

On Deadlines:

I set deadlines for just before I leave for work, as I work evenings PST. This allows me to flip promptly, and leaves night actions mostly coming in while I am working, which means occasional short nights.

If the time is awkward, I can shift deadlines to a different/later time, but that means a longer wait for flips, and generally less active modding at an important time of the game.

If you have a preference, feel free to speak up.

For the record, wasn't complaining or didn't mean to. Just pointing out that it is a different time of day then many games close days at so people weren't caught by surprise. I cave to whatever is convenient for the mod. I prefer shorter wait for flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

You had four posts after the game opened (discounting the confirm post) when you made your post.

I had the same amount.

This is a reasonable point. But context is also important. What do you think of Jam's post right before that which is what prompted it? He didn't do this in a vacuum.

• Locked thread