Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Unpasteurized Eggs won't kill you
:siren::siren: https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/perhaps-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog/ :siren::siren:

"The holidays are around the corner, what better excuse to get drunk and fat? Egg nog can help you do both!

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html
Every fall for several years we've posted this recipe which includes raw eggs and takes at least 1-3 weeks to age. This means if you make a batch this weekend, it should just barely be ready in time for Thanksgiving and should taste even better by the time Christmas and New Years roll around.

One to three weeks, you might ask, won't the raw eggs turn rotten and turn Thanksgiving into a projective vomit food poisoning disaster? Well, normally they would but we're going to be dumping almost half a gallon of hard liquor in there and by my rough estimate it comes out to about 20% alcohol by volume. So feel safe knowing that it should be as sterile as a bottle of Listerine (or insert your mom joke in here)

Now, we've been doing this same recipe for about 5 years and I think it's time to step up our game! If you're an old timer or if you're feeling especially experimental, try to come up with ideas to improve this classic booze nog recipe. I've always enjoyed the more custardy flavor of store-bought egg nog, so I'm going to try cooking several batches to several different temperatures to see if any of them can replicate that store-bought custard flavor. If you have other ideas on how to improve the eggnog, shoot for it!

edit: Turns out there are some newer recipes which tweak the recipe in some ways and might be worth trying out as well:
Alton Brown: http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Bitten World: http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/12/taste-test-twelve-month-aged-eggnog.html"
Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

Here is my nog session from last year.

goodness fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Oh hell yes. I think I'm going to do this again this year. I made a big batch in '15 and it's finally running out on me.

If anyone has any interesting thoughts on variations, I'm curious.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Link's messed up.

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for making this post in the middle of summer, I always forget and post it last minute during the holidays

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hell yeah, I'm in the same boat as Ben Nevis, my many year bigass batch is finally up this year, time to get on a new one.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

goodness posted:

Here is my nog session from last year.

Woah we are booze bros. !

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for making this post in the middle of summer, I always forget and post it last minute during the holidays

I thought of it out of the blue, time to start your batches now!

Thanks, updated

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Would applejack or calvados in nog be a horrible idea? Gut instinct is it'd be tasty.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm in this year. Every time previously I'd forget about it until it's too late. :woop:

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Started noggin last Sunday. 1 gallon batch of the OP's suggested recipe divided into 4 quart sized jars.

Should I wait three weeks before stirring? Got it sitting in the back of the refrigerator for now.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ben Nevis posted:

Would applejack or calvados in nog be a horrible idea? Gut instinct is it'd be tasty.

That sounds really good, I've been wanting to try it for a while and this is a good excuse to buy some.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've got a couple of bottles sitting in my fridge from last November. Gonna use them to kick start this year's batch.

Eggnog isn't really a thing here in NZ, so everyone I gave it to as a gift was really excited by it. Evangelizing Nog gives me a warm feeling inside. Much like drinking it, really b

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rye is really good in nog, if anyone wants to experiment with it.

I'm probably doing it this year, I forgot last year until it was too late to be sterilized.

I'll probably make a double batch of the Alton Brown recipe, but with half of the rum and brandy replaced with rye. I think that's basically what I did last time when I was short on the two.

Actually maybe even a triple batch, I'll have the booze for it, and then I can give it as presents.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I did it!

Turns out I didn't have enough bourbon, so I used a cup of Applejack to hit the recommended 4 cups. Also, holy crap this is a lot of booze. Can't wait to try this out when it gets colder :woop:

*edit* Should I shake/stir this stuff every so often? Once a week?

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 10, 2017

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Doh004 posted:

*edit* Should I shake/stir this stuff every so often? Once a week?

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. I left my bottles alone for two weeks, then some curious friends were interested in trying some so we stirred them up and poured out a couple fingers each. Despite being a chilled drink, this nog gave the four of us a throat-warming aftertaste that I've never experienced with storebrand eggnogs. Absolutely delicious.

To answer your question, stirring up the sediment to avoid separation once a month seems like my gameplan. Hopefully the OP or a more experienced homebrewer can offer additional advice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

In like Flynn!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Going to nog in the next couple days.

Trying to source some local eggs

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Trying some different flavours this time around.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Right, I am nogging this year. I shall be making a batch for my family of hard drinkers for whom Spanish Brandy is the universally accepted sat-around-the-fireplace tipple, so brandy aged in Sherry casks for that added sweetness and warmth. I'm thinking 3 70cl bottles of Soberano and a 70cl bottle of spiced rum. Does that sound like a decent booze mix?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Going to make my last batch of eggnog this weekend so I have four gallons of it ready for the thanksgiving and christmas season.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Next batch is going to have a good amount of bauchant (basically a less sweet grand marnier for half the price) to make a kind of orange eggnog

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

What do you all store your eggnog in? I intend to nog for the first time this year, and if I'm buying a container anyway I might as well buy something good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
ball jars? I use them for nog, easy fridge pickles, leftovers, whatever. You can also use the empty booze bottles.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

you ate my cat posted:

What do you all store your eggnog in? I intend to nog for the first time this year, and if I'm buying a container anyway I might as well buy something good.

I save empty booze bottles.

I also have a bunch of swing-top growlers from a local brewery that I'm thinking of using this year.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Knocked up 5 bottles this afternoon. Had a taste and it was delicious. They're now bedded down in the fridge, not to be disturbed before Christmas!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I'm thinking of making a single test batch of the Serious Eats recipe, but using difficult combinations of alcohol in a variety of small containers to test it. I've got an apple brandy, regular brandy, a gold rum that's very butterscotch-y, amaretto and Amarguinha(a Portuguese almond liqueur), and a homemade coffee liquor.

My question is if I should make my decisions on what to scale up based off of an initial taste-test, or should I wait for a while and taste them?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm thinking of making a single test batch of the Serious Eats recipe, but using difficult combinations of alcohol in a variety of small containers to test it. I've got an apple brandy, regular brandy, a gold rum that's very butterscotch-y, amaretto and Amarguinha(a Portuguese almond liqueur), and a homemade coffee liquor.

My question is if I should make my decisions on what to scale up based off of an initial taste-test, or should I wait for a while and taste them?

I think waiting 2-4 weeks before deciding is helpful. In the OP's recipe, my initial reaction was the recipe was WAY too strong. Two weeks later it was very good.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

A large majority of mine is stored in liquor bottles that were emptied into last year's and this year's eggnog.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

So I made four test batches off of the Serious Eats recipe.

Frangelico+Creme de Cacao dark+Whiskey
Homemade Coffee Liquor+ Coffee Flavored Syrup+ Spiced rum
Ancho Reyes+ Creme de Cacao+ Whiskey
Creme de Menthe+ Creme de Cacao + Goslings Gold rum

The Chili+ Cacao and the Menthe+Cacao+Rum combination seem like they might be winners, but we'll see in two weeks.

That being said, I'm not sure I really like the Serious Eats recipe- I like my egg nog thicker and boozier. I might be trying this again shortly with the Joy of Cooking or Alton Brown recipe and maybe some more assertive base liquors to go with the liqueurs. Maybe stick with a dark rum.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
For once remembered to do this before december. A slight miscalculation had me fill a milk carton as well as empty booze bottles, but I guess that gives me sort of a real excuse to pre-nog! I've more or less done it the Alton Brown way, with half sugar and less bourbon 'cause I'm not American, it's good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
triple batch, no after shot (SO MUCH NOG)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ranter posted:

I was cleaning out some things in the fridge last night and I came across my couple of bottles - had almost forgotten about them!

Also, it's been a month since I made my batch. I'm scared to try it out :ohdear:

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I was cleaning out some things in the fridge last night and I came across my couple of bottles - had almost forgotten about them!

Also, it's been a month since I made my batch. I'm scared to try it out :ohdear:

I was equally cautious with my 30 day taste test and took a 1 oz sample about an hour before offering it to another taster. If my quart sized tester batch survived a hurricane and power failure, yours will be fine. Hope your results are excellent.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I've already had like a pint of my nog. loving delicious. Need to make more for Christmas!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I was equally cautious with my 30 day taste test and took a 1 oz sample about an hour before offering it to another taster. If my quart sized tester batch survived a hurricane and power failure, yours will be fine. Hope your results are excellent.

It is excellent! Very boozy, but doesn't have the burn normally associated with this much bourbon.

Gotta go buy some fresh nutmeg to grate instead of this pre grated crap.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

So I did a two-week taste test on my four experimental batches, and they've mellowed out too much with the exception of Frangelico+Creme de Cacao+Whiskey. I think the Creme de Menthe+Creme de Cacao combination has potential, but it's gotta be a higher concentration of booze-to-liquid calories.

I don't think I am going to use the Serious Eats recipe again, it's a little bit thinner than I prefer and light on booze. I think I will go back to Alton Brown and make a big "normal" batch as well as try to up the liquor content in the above experiments.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I made a a double batch of the Alton Brown recipe for a holiday party we're throwing in December. Right off the bat I like this recipe a lot more than the bitten word one from OP. It's much creamier and more in line with the taste and texture that most people associate with eggnog. I still have a pint or so of the BW batch from last year which I opened for the first time last night too. It did mellow out, but it's more like an eggnog liqueur than a straight up eggnog. I will use it to mix it into coffee, but it's not great as a stand-alone without additional cream or whipped egg whites added.

The AB recipe has a 2:1 ratio of dairy to booze while the BW recipe is 1:1, soooo that's probably where the difference comes from. Even so, the AB recipe is around 13% ABV by my calculations, which packs a nice enough punch as it is.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 26, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ranter posted:

How much did that make in terms of volume? Probably doing the same thing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I can't really accurately tell you, but I followed the original BW recipe in OP (not altons) so you could do the math. I ended up filling a bunch of random sized jars. The idea will then be once it's aged to then give them away in small jars with stick on bows and gift labels as Christmas presents to my buddies and coworkers.

tl;dr a lot and I'm lazy.

protip: if doing this quantity you will probably not have a big enough bowl to mix the triple batch all at once, so do a double then a single batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The thing I’m not sure about is the volume of the eggs, the rest is easy to calculate. I’m thinking of mixing everything together in a stock pot and then ladling it into bottles / mason jars. I’ve got a gallon pitcher to put the booze/fairy in, but doing mental math it sounds like I’ll still need to pour / mix in two batches.

Food nerds, what’s the volume of 3 dozen egg yolks?

• Locked thread