Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mikey Purp posted:

Egg nog is definitely one of those things where you go balls to the wall or not at all.

balance in all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

6x joy of cooking batch completed

3 gallons of heavy cream
6 dozen eggs
6 pounds of sugar
almost 2.5 gallons of infused brandy plus 3 cups of peach brandy

this infused batch is really something else, everyone loves it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 31, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
6x batch? You are now the nog king. jesus loving christ dude I thought 3x batch made my cock big.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Glad I found this thread, I am going to make the Jonathan Hunt recipe for Thanksgiving but, I also want to make a non-alcoholic version for the kids, are there any reccomended recipes?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Looking at a few recipes the booze is sort of all over the map. At the low end Alton uses twice as much dairy as booze, on the other side the Bitten Word is 10% more booze than dairy (all with a dozen yolks, natch). Alton says his ages up to a year (I assume indefinitely) so I'm kinda taking that as the low end for safety. I assume anything else just depends on how strong you want it?

I'd done the link from the OP in the past. Was considering dialing back the booze just a little.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ben Nevis posted:

Was considering dialing back the booze just a little.

...why?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

Was considering dialing back the booze just a little.

:yikes:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of aging, SeriousEats says aging eggnog is maybe not such a good idea after all?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

don't trust clickbait articles.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

don't trust clickbait articles.

it's not a clickbait article

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I wouldn't call Kenji click bait.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I love Kenji, but his results are in direct contradiction to my own. Tasting the fresh nog from the last 3 batches, it's been undrinkable rocket fuel. Aged between 3months to a year, smooth and delicious. Have a batch that I'll be breaking into this year that will be at 26 months when consumed. Will report back.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

poverty goat posted:

it's not a clickbait article

Is _____ ?

clickbait

Also the content itself is subjective, and as we all know, he loves his salt.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I will not abide anyone contradicting the findings of the most sacred America's Test Kitchen, not even Kenji.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Just took a taste of a batch I made 2 years ago and it is much smoother than it was Christmas 2015. Maybe Kenji just prefers his stronger?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Kenji doesn't always make good decisions. Like the one to put a vegan sausage on the menu at his soon to open German beer hall restaurant.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
If store bought eggnog is good, and store bought eggnog with booze in it is better, then this must be amazing.

Only did a half batch though because my condo fridge is tiny. I'm sure I'll regret it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
heh

homo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Love me some homo milk :9

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm flying cross-country with a big bottle or two of nog in a couple of weeks. Do you guys think I need to be worried about it spending a few hours unrefrigerated in a plastic bottle in a checked bag?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

poverty goat posted:

I'm flying cross-country with a big bottle or two of nog in a couple of weeks. Do you guys think I need to be worried about it spending a few hours unrefrigerated in a plastic bottle in a checked bag?

My batch survived a week w/o electricity following a hurricane. If it’s got booze in it, yours will be fine.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
On whim I decided I wanted to do this at the beginning of November.

Opened up one of the bottles I've had in the fridge since then convinced that it was going to taste and smell as awful as it did going in.

But, as it will come to no surprise to anyone in this thread I'm sure... it was so smooth and amazing. Didn't burn at all, it was just nice and tasty and smooth and then 15 minutes later you realize you're really warm and and happy and oh yeah...drunk.

I caught a bit of poo poo for doing this from the family because this was so random and took valuable space away from turkey, but then they had a sip from my glass at dessert. and then a few more. and then i told them to go get their own damned glass if they want some and let me drink mine!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The 64oz growler of nog I brought to LA for danksgiving is already empty

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I have been a closet egg nog fan for some time and this Alton Brown recipe sounds pretty good. I have a few questions:

1. What's the actual yield of that recipe, assuming I did one batch? I was thinking I would buy some mason jars, but I've never done anything like this before and I'm not sure how many I'll need. Looks like it's 3 quarts

2. Are there any kinds of rum not to use in this? (I love Cruzan Blackstrap something fierce)

3. Does that water bottle trick to separate the egg yolks actually work? If not, how do people do this?

Mike Danger fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 29, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mike Danger posted:

3. Does that water bottle trick to separate the egg yolks actually work? If not, how do people do this?

There are egg yolk separators you can buy that aren’t too expensive. Check Amazon or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mike Danger posted:

Crack them into a bowl and just use your fingers to separate. Or, crack it into your fingers and let the white run through. Or, crack it and do the pour egg back and forth between the shell halves thing. You risk breaking the yolks that way but it makes no difference in this recipe unless you're saving whites for meringue or something. You don't need to buy any special tool.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Made a batch and in one bottle I put some cinnamon and ginger in. Tastes very good 3 weeks in.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Hell yeah eggnog thread.

Have two, 1 gallon, batches that are kind of modified Bittenword/Alton Brown recipes. One bourbon, brandy, and rum. One rye, spiced rum, and brandy. Looking forward to see how the rye/spiced rum has come out. They are hit a year a couple weeks ago.

I don't know what Kenji is on about in that article, maybe he just likes to get tore up at the holidays, but the recipes I made last year I sampled along the way and man they were rocket fuel at a couple weeks and mellowed out a ton over time. Maybe it's a difference in the recipe he used but I don't think could have drank more than sip or two at a few weeks aging.

Has anyone ever made an aged recipe with almond milk? I have a lot of lactose intolerant friends and was looking at almond/coconut milk nog recipes wonder how they would turn out. Fresh made almond milk doesn't have much of a shelf life if I remember right.

edit: Trying it with a store bought almond milk/cream will take it to a party in a couple weeks and see how it is before setting a batch down for longer.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 2, 2017

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I made a batch of the Alton Brown recipe 2 months ago, and I'm getting what looks like separation in the jars. There's some thicker white goop at the top that seems like maybe milk fat? It smells fine, tastes fine, no indications that anything is growing in it, and it hasn't made me sick, so I'm not too worried about it from a safety standpoint. Anyone have this or know what it is?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
If i start today is it too late to have for xmas?

Also is there a good recipe scaled down? I'd prefer to not make too much at first in case none of my family like it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I would recommend the Alton recipe. It's pretty much drinkable immediately, but benefits from a couple of weeks of aging and should be nice and mellow for Christmas. You should also be able to scale it down without much trouble.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There are egg yolk separators you can buy that aren’t too expensive. Check Amazon or Bed Bath & Beyond.

:rolleyes:

Suplex Liberace posted:

Made a batch and in one bottle I put some cinnamon and ginger in. Tastes very good 3 weeks in.

My almond/cardamom/mace/almond/vanilla infused batch is the king of all nogs

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to make more. I thought I would be getting more out of each batch than I was. I think I calculated volume of an entire egg rather than just the yolk. But I have more of all the alcohol except the rye, and more of everything else except heavy cream and half and half.

Alton Brown's recipe minus 3 oz each of rum and brandy, plus 6 ounces of rye (so 8oz bourbon, 6 oz rye, 5 oz each brandy and rum). Last time I used Rittenhouse, but I tried to keep the price down this time. Still surprisingly smooth at what I calculate to be 15% ABV.

Going to take this to my wife's family's Christmas, my family's Christmas, and give it as a present to people I know like nog.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I see a lot of people storing nog in mason jars. Is that well enough sealed? I have bought some swing top bottles. Will that seal too well? Does nog need to breath?!?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mason jars are commonly used for making preserves, so they should be sealed enough. I know that the lids on the ones I bought seal well enough that they popped open from the pressure difference when I unscrewed them (I’m at 5000 feet).

I would think that egg nog is like any other dairy containing thing, it should be sealed to minimize the amount of bacteria that gets in. There’s alcohol in there, but I don’t see the point in tempting fate.

Flip top jars with the rubber baskets and metal latches should be tight enough too, although I don’t know if the alcohol would cause a problem with the rubber being stored long term. Maybe someone else would.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If anyone is following the recipes in the OP, even loosely, there's no chance for bacteria to live after a couple weeks, sealed or unsealed.

I use mason jars because that's what we use for making pickles and storing things in our kitchen. And they look nice for gifting. I welcome suggestions for alternatives to mason jars when making them Christmas gifts though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried multiple nog recipes and decided which one they liked best?

I'm gonna make a batch for non-noggers so I am looking for mellow

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ranter posted:

If anyone is following the recipes in the OP, even loosely, there's no chance for bacteria to live after a couple weeks, sealed or unsealed.

I use mason jars because that's what we use for making pickles and storing things in our kitchen. And they look nice for gifting. I welcome suggestions for alternatives to mason jars when making them Christmas gifts though.

Other liqueurs involving dairy go bad eventually, so I wouldn’t be so sure. It might take a while, but people age these for a year or two sometimes.

I like the mason jars for gifting too. I’ll see if I can find some ribbon or something.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Just feel like the mason jar thing may not pour well, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

Just feel like the mason jar thing may not pour well, I guess.

I put my batch into two mason jars and a swing-top bottle. Serve from the bottle, refill the bottle from mason jars.

• Locked thread