Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Other liqueurs involving dairy go bad eventually, so I wouldn’t be so sure. It might take a while, but people age these for a year or two sometimes.

I like the mason jars for gifting too. I’ll see if I can find some ribbon or something.

The posters here over the years drinking 2+ year old home made egg nogs makes me very sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Just feel like the mason jar thing may not pour well, I guess.

I use these things https://www.amazon.com/reCAP-Mason-Regular-Canning-Silver/dp/B00KBB8ZLO/

amazon also sells lots of cool bottles that may be better for gifts than a mason jar, including swing top and milk bottles

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ranter posted:

The posters here over the years drinking 2+ year old home made egg nogs makes me very sure.

I’m pretty sure they aren’t leaving it unsealed like you said, though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Well the deed is done and now we wait. Gonna bring one bottle to my (future) in-laws and another to my family on Christmas and see what everyone thinks of it. I tasted a bit of the remainder that didn't fit in the bottles and it doesn't seem particularly strong. Whats the expected ABV of this stuff?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Crazyeyes posted:

Whats the expected ABV of this stuff?

Jet fuel.

(also, you can always ladel it out if you're using a jar without a way to pour things)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Average out the ABV of the alcohol you're using, then divide by the volume of nog you end up with. I think. Top up with Everclear if you're not sure. Fuckit, let's get lit up.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

Crazyeyes posted:

Well the deed is done and now we wait. Gonna bring one bottle to my (future) in-laws and another to my family on Christmas and see what everyone thinks of it. I tasted a bit of the remainder that didn't fit in the bottles and it doesn't seem particularly strong. Whats the expected ABV of this stuff?

Which recipe did you use? I am way behind on eggnog and it's too late to do the aged stuff now.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Quincyh posted:

Which recipe did you use? I am way behind on eggnog and it's too late to do the aged stuff now.

Alton Brown's in the OP. Says only need two weeks aging (though more is better).

Used Meyer's rum, Evan Williams straight bourbon, and some brandy I found at the liquor store. Tastes like ~10% straight out of the bowl. Was expecting higher, honestly. I'll have to actually calculate it out next time I make it.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Nice, thanks!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Crazyeyes posted:

Alton Brown's in the OP. Says only need two weeks aging (though more is better).

Used Meyer's rum, Evan Williams straight bourbon, and some brandy I found at the liquor store. Tastes like ~10% straight out of the bowl. Was expecting higher, honestly. I'll have to actually calculate it out next time I make it.

I calculated it a little earlier in this thread and I got 13% abv for the Alton recipe. Definitely check my math if you get a minute, though!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Remember that Evan Williams is 86 proof. So that’s an extra 7.5% of the normal portion of the alcohol coming from the bourbon (NOT 7.5% more ABV overall).

I calculated mine where I used 80 proof bourbon but subbed out 3 ounces each of rum and brandy for 90 proof rye and it came to 15%.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it possible to drop the cream and use only whole milk? Assume the rest of the recipe is unmessed with. I want it slightly less rich.

I used to do only brandy but I've come to realize the canonical mix of dark rum, whiskey, brandy even mix is better and there for a reason. Also last year i added angostura bitters and I think that may have caused something to go wrong. I'm going to add a dash per glass I think and not add it to the main batch, still love the flavor.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My eggnog comes out at 18% but it also takes well over a month to mellow out

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it possible to drop the cream and use only whole milk? Assume the rest of the recipe is unmessed with. I want it slightly less rich.

If youre only using yolks, Id say use the whole egg instead. Will dilute the cream and fat a bit without turning it into water. Otherwise just stick with half and half. Whole milk only would probably be awful.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Comb Your Beard posted:

I used to do only brandy but I've come to realize the canonical mix of dark rum, whiskey, brandy even mix is better and there for a reason. Also last year i added angostura bitters and I think that may have caused something to go wrong. I'm going to add a dash per glass I think and not add it to the main batch, still love the flavor.

I'd actually say these recipes could be richer (for my taste), so I definitely wouldn't cut back on the fat.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

anything short of 100% cream should be thought of as diet nog

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Went and put away a 1/2 gallon. Modified bitten word recipe. 8 yokes, 1/2 the sugar. Did the tiniest carton of heavy cream at the store, the rest whole milk. Wide blend of all the brown liquor I had on my bar, bourbon, 3 kinds of brandy, rum, mezcal. Got the nutmeg in there. Probably break out first half in a week, then second half around Christmas.

I think this is gonna be way better than last year. So cool all the enthusiasm in this thread.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Never really did egg nog until this year. It just wasn't a thing my family did. A few weeks ago, I made a batch of Alton's recipe to see what I was missing out on. Holy poo poo, guys. Nog is good. Also I got super drunk before I realized it. I was wondering why my friends balked at my first attempt at a pour.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I mentioned briefly with my triple batch post earlier, but I made gifts for my coworkers that enjoy a good drink out of it. I think I'll end up with about 16 of these little jars after having already some to drink:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I've had the tail end of a bottle of the Bitten recipe in my fridge for around 2 years - better to drink it, or to mix it into a new batch?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Just feel like the mason jar thing may not pour well, I guess.

The mason jars are cool single serve gifts - just drink directly from it!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Made some more. Thinking of slowly going through the growlers and giving the handles as gifts. But we'll see. I may keep it all to myself. Feel like I've been missing out on a very important seasonal tradition. Is egg nog regional at all? Don't remember seeing it a lot in the American south.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

In 1947, an all-eggnog diet reportedly returned a starving hound to “the pink of condition” after he’d secreted himself into a car’s trunk for twenty-one days.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is eggnog similar to Advocaat?

We mix advocaat 1:2 with lemonade to make snowballs. What would eggnog do if mixed with lemonade? I feel like it might curdle

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

eating only apples posted:

We mix advocaat 1:2 with lemonade to make snowballs. What would eggnog do if mixed with lemonade? I feel like it might curdle

:barf:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

coffee+nog makes a pro breakfast

eating only apples posted:

the silly article i was just quoting actually also mentions amish eggnog that contains lemon juice

quote:

Today, there is considerable argument over whether to use whole eggs, just the yolks, or both. (Besides flavor, there is the question of viscosity to consider.) Some people cook the nog, for safety’s sake; others embrace the risk of salmonella, or hope that the booze does any necessary sterilization. Nutmeg is the most familiar eggnog spice, but it is not a requirement. Some folks use cloves or cinnamon or turmeric. A Mennonite recipe calls for honey; an Amish one for lemon juice. Coquito—a Puerto Rican Christmas drink that shares many of the same ingredients—uses coconut milk. My editor insists that a family friend from her childhood made it with melted vanilla Häagen Dazs. Regardless of the exact recipe, eggnog is more than the sum of its parts. A bit of wittiness in an 1890 article in the Times sums up its mysterious magic:

quote:

And what is eggnog? Worcester says, “A drink made up of spirit, milk, sugar, and eggs beaten up together.” Exactly so, but he might as well describe a fascinating woman as a “combination of dry goods, skin, and bone” when telling of her winning ways.

Eggnog is, conversely, an elemental drink, one that can act as a substitute for any of its constituent ingredients: the egg of French toast, the sugar and cream for coffee, the milky base for flan or ice cream or gelato. A savory sauce of stock and eggnog can be served atop duck-and-cranberry tartlets; one can marinate chicken in the stuff for hours before breading and frying it, for eggnog fried chicken. There is eggnog quiche, in which the beverage is substituted for normal milk, giving the savory cheese and sausage a sweet edge, not unlike dipping bacon in syrup. Any number of spirits can be poured into eggnog; it can be poured into stout. Breweries continue to concoct eggnog beers. There are eggnog daiquiris and eggnog floats and eggnog ice cubes. If you cared to, you could consume eggnog at every meal for the entirety of the holiday season.

I'm p skeptical of most of those suggested applications but I'm a little ashamed that an eggnog float never occurred to me. Also, any coquito trip reports?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 21, 2017

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Last year, a friend and I made a batch of the Bitten Word recipe. Kept it in my fridge for a month, shook it up every now & then, and it was delicious.

This year I made 2 batches from that recipe, just about a month ago, and it went a little odd. The first week or so, it kept looking like it was kinda separating and getting a clear yellowish layer on top, which I don't remember happening last year at all. I kept shaking it regularly and it stopped, but just now I went to test it out before family festivities and it had a considerable bit of thick, kinda congealed looking stuff around the lid/top of the liquid? Like eggnog boogers. It's in 4 different containers and they all had this. I shook it hard and most of it broke up, but I'm worried I did something wrong and ruined it. Has anyone else had this happen? Did I just not shake it frequently enough as it aged, or is it more dire than that? Should I strain it or try to break up the gooey clumps? There's not a LOT but I imagine it being off-putting to find while drinking even if it tastes normal.

It smells fine, looks fine aside from the thick bits, and a preliminary taste seems fine so I guess I'm just gonna drink a cup and see if I die.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

How thick? I had a similar thing happen in one of my jars of Alton Brown recipe. No one got sick, so I'm sure it's fine? No idea what it is though.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
It's soft and pretty easy to break up/mix in, but it looks weird and full of air bubbles. It looks kinda like proofed bread dough before it's punched down/kneaded.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's just fat separating from the cream, if you turn it upside down and sideways and give it a really good shake you can get most of it back into the nog

this is why if you put it into narrow topped bottles you don't want to fill it too high or you'll wind up with a 1 inch plug of fat at the top, which will annoy you but otherwise be of little consequence

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Has anyone tried storing their nog at room temperature? I'm so short of fridge space this Christmas, but I wants my nog.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I tasted the last bit of my 2014 Lancefield nog (plus 1 vanilla bean, nutmeg grated on top when served instead of added to the batch) side by side with the new batch I mixed right after Thanksgiving. It's still great, smoother and a little thicker than fresh. Hopefully I'll have enough after parties to age for a couple of years. If not I may have to make a fresh batch and hold it all for a year.

Esposito posted:

Has anyone tried storing their nog at room temperature? I'm so short of fridge space this Christmas, but I wants my nog.

I would be leery of doing that, especially early in the process. Booze doesn't inhibit mold growth, which would be a lot faster at room temp. And depending on your alcohol level, a lot more microbes can thrive at 70 degrees than at 40. Spoilage might be unlikely, but I personally wouldn't chance it.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I cracked open my Alton Brown nog after 3 weeks. One glass of that and a beer tonight and I am not afraid of the police. Happy holidays everyone

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cracked my nog open last night and the cinnamon one turned out super tasty. Very pronounced at 1st then kind blends away in to noggy goodness.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

friendly reminder that coffee+nog is a complete breakfast, and medicinal as well

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Less friendly reminder: don’t drink store bought nog (the booze free dairy section stuff) more than a week past its expiration date.

:cry::barf::metis:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ultimate Mango posted:

Less friendly reminder: don’t drink store bought nog (the booze free dairy section stuff) more than a week past its expiration date.

:cry::barf::metis:

i hated egg nog for the longest time because store-bought nog is garbage

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

UK Goon here - we don't get cartons of shite so I had to do it the old fashioned way

I made Alton Brown's recipe 4 weeks before Christmas - it was pretty good come Christmas day, but we didn't have any fresh Nutmeg (I feel bougie as gently caress typing that sentence)

I would advise straining to get the white umbilical bits out of the mixture - it's pretty gross swallowing them.

Parents liked it and they are very adverse to anything weird, so I thought 4 week old 'nog would defeat them and I'd be left with it?

Nope. They stole my 'nog and we loved it. Heavily suggested!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

i hated egg nog for the longest time because store-bought nog is garbage

Incorrect, store bought stuff is delicious, especially from Wawa for whatever reason (the reason is they’re their own dairy). Home made is way better, but I do wish it had the viscosity of store-bought.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mofette posted:

UK Goon here - we don't get cartons of shite so I had to do it the old fashioned way

I made Alton Brown's recipe 4 weeks before Christmas - it was pretty good come Christmas day, but we didn't have any fresh Nutmeg (I feel bougie as gently caress typing that sentence)

I would advise straining to get the white umbilical bits out of the mixture - it's pretty gross swallowing them.

Parents liked it and they are very adverse to anything weird, so I thought 4 week old 'nog would defeat them and I'd be left with it?

Nope. They stole my 'nog and we loved it. Heavily suggested!

Same with my Nana. She thought it would be gross and then ended up knocking it back like a goddamn champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Erwin posted:

Incorrect, store bought stuff is delicious, especially from Wawa for whatever reason (the reason is they’re their own dairy). Home made is way better, but I do wish it had the viscosity of store-bought.

I use a 2:1 ratio of heavy cream and half and half, and it has storebought consistency after a month.

• Locked thread