Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
is this thread serious

op are you serious

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Abugadu posted:

Fear of a small fat bald old dude who couldn't outrun a Burger King meal?

And my argument was the opposite. They're not sluts if they're hypnotized. But if they weren't hypnotized, six embarrassed but terrible women just sent a guy to jail for 12 years for 'kidnapping' (seriously this is what they charged him with). If they all individually and consciously decided to 'not remember' it, why the avalanche of claims later when the first woman got the police involved?

Please tell us what a slut is exactly, and whether or not they are bad people. This is important.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

This is not at all what this thread would be like.

My mother used hypnosis to quit smoking and loving swore by it, but she's also the sort of person that WANTS to believe in that sort of stuff so maybe there's an argument for suggestibility and confirmation bias. She did quit smoking though after a near 2 pack a day habit so there's that.

Howard Stern occasionally has a hypnotist dude on with hilarious results but that seems too easy to fake.

After 9/11, several witnesses swore that they saw missiles coming out of the planes or whatever.

People routinely swear that they are being haunted, see ghosts, have been in communication with the dead, etc.

People who are "hypnotized" swear that they really were hypnotized because the alternative is to admit that they themselves were loving idiots and were had.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That doesn't address the first part of what he said: "I know it's fake."

This poo poo is as fake as yoga instructors telling you to "breath in and feel the energy come up from the ground and into your soul, now exhale and feel the pain of your previous lives go away."

e: There are a subset of the population who believe you can channel mystical energy through your body or whatever but that doesn't mean it's like real. Just means there are people who believe in this poo poo for various reasons.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Here's the thing, though - even if you are convinced it's fake, if you're a decent enough actor, and can find a friend, you can do an induction. I was convinced 95% of what I had read was made up bullshit until I did my first one.

Ok, let's do this as a thought experiment.

Let's say I get a bored friend to come humor you. He grabs an "induction script" somewhere and starts reading it to me with the goal being to hypnotize me. Now this brings the first question:

1) How will I know it's successful? Is there some kind of objective measurement I could use?

I see two outcomes here really, he can tell me to do something I normally wouldn't do, let's say something innocent like "take off your pants bro," because that's really not something I'd do around friends in general, and the outcomes are either I do it or I don't.

Say I do it: this means I was hypnotized. You've seen my posts here. You know how I feel about this whole thing. If, despite how I feel about this, I was actually hypnotized and did this against my will, then my question is

2a) Why isn't this way more common? If you can hypnotize me, a scientist who's been poo poo posting here because this is obviously bullshit, then why isn't the entire world hypnotized?

Also, I would have been hypnotized by a skeptic as well, who was just doing it to humor me, who has never been "trained" in this "art" before.

2b) Now, imagine, if this random can do it, then why aren't the most powerful people in the world hypnotists? If a random can do this, then imagine what a person dedicating his life to hypnotism can do, you know?

So now we have this situation where either my friend is a savant and god's gift to hypnotism to be able to do it so easily, he's faking it and so am I, or that hypnotism actually really is so easy and that it actually is common and we've all been hypnotized to not see it.

If my friend is a savant then I guess he should have no trouble convincing the world, should he want to. If we're both faking it then it's fake. If it's actually really easy/common to do then we've just uncovered a New World Order/Illuminati type of conspiracy on this dead gay forums.

But back to the other option: he tells me to take my pants off bro and I say lol no. Now what? Obviously I wasn't hypnotized. Maybe this was a bad method. Maybe he did it wrong. Or maybe it's not real.

I could get another friend to try. I could get another script. I could go through binders full of people to try to hypnotize me. This isn't really efficient though, so the better question is:

3) If hypnotism was real, then what mechanism does it work through?

If it's through voice, then presumably hypnotism could work through music, through TV, through the phone, through movies, etc. Which brings back the question: why isn't this more common?

I mean I could go on and on. You could keep coming up with excuses "it works through voice but the person speaking needs to be in that room" and so on. Ok, then why don't entire rooms of people get hypnotized at stage shows instead of a selected handful of people? You could again bring more excuses "oh it's because it wasn't targeted at the audience." Ok but how does sound actually target a person? I mean I heard the same sounds coming from the same mouth from the same person as the guy standing on the stage. Why didn't it affect me? "Oh because…"

At some point you've got to stop moving back the goal posts.

• Locked thread