Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

just read the drat book, its not a video game

OH god, I wasn't going to do this

I plotted this like months ago the last time you shat up a BotM thread but I decided to show mercy

But that setup is too perfect

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU FACE A MOD CHALLENGE :siren: :siren: :siren:

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it:

1) Choose a "LITRPG" novel

You can pick any of the "LitRPG" novels listed in the discussion after this post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554972&pagenumber=545&perpage=40#post472412546

or after this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554972&pagenumber=564&perpage=40#post473345049

Or find one on your own, but it must be within the genre of "LitRPG" as described below:

quote:

Survival Quest was different, though. It's not a book about shared online experiences, or about the blurriness of real / virtual distinctions. It's not even really "science fiction," in the sense that it doesn't seem to be posing any questions or what-if scenarios for an imaginative reader to unpack.

No, Survival Quest is about what MMOs are actually about : grinding experience and gear. It's a novel about the pleasure of leveling up.

Literally. The protagonist (egotistical and flavorless, as I assumed), is imprisoned in a full immersion VR capsule to serve out his prison sentence in an MMO copper mine. He feels pain fully from every rat bite, and the exhaustion of chipping away at mining nodes all day, but he also feels an addictive euphoria when he levels up his character's jewel-crafting skill.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/28/11801040/have-you-heard-about-litrpg

Victorkm posted:

I just finished the LitRPG book "Dominion Of Blades" by Matt Dinniman. I'd have to give it a hearty recommend. Dominion of Blades is probably the best LitRPG book I have read so far. The writing can be clunky at times, and theres a lot of typos, but there's none of the weird sexism or homophobia that pervades the translated fare (quite the opposite in fact), and the plot is really cool.

All of a sudden two "NPCs" become aware that they are real people in a simulation. Prior to that they had been repeating their same week over and over again, for years and years. They have little memory of their real lives, but they realize they are in the titular game, an old, shut down, full immersion MMORPG which was shut down because prolonged dives into the game tended to cause a sort of reality dysmorphia. The big perk to their lives as NPC fishermen is that they have an impossibly high fishing skill which has bled out into other skills and special abilities to make them quite formidable due to the way the game handles high skill levels and synergy bonuses. For example, the main character can summon fish, call down an ice storm, and has insanely high level skill with an urumi, a whip-sword, because of his high fly fishing skill, all of which feature into the plot. The system has blocked their ability to log out and fast travel, and pain sensitivity is jacked up to the maximum. They can see other people listed as online so they set out to the main city in the game world (which is a scale replica of Earth with the capital being in Seattle) to try to send out a global message to bring them in. Unfortunately they are somewhere in eastern Europe and have very far to travel.

It ends up being a mixture of LitRPG and comedy with a big dollop of horror mixed in.

Theres no damage numbers and the tons of stat blocks people tend to complain about are absent here too.

This is gonna be the LitRPG I am judging others against. I think the only other series which really holds up is Continue Online.

General Emergency posted:

Getting in touch with my inner sperg I've been going on a LitRPG bender with a couple of audiobooks: The Gam3 and Continue Online: Memories.

The Gam3 is not a good book. It's not very well written and the author repeats words a lot and it's quite guilty of dumping a bunch of stats "+5 to health" style at you. The plot is the standard LitRPG fare about newbie growing stronger and getting nice loot and such. A complete gamer powerfantasy. The protagonist is a gigantic Mary Sue and most other characters are completely forgettable... But. It's still entertaining. Nick Podehl narrates and does a nice job as usual and it pretty much fails to be both misogynistic and racist!

I haven't finished it yet but Continue Online: Memories doesn't read like an average LitRPG book. It's character driven and just seems to be about the protagonist dealing with the loss of his fiancee. It's not amazing and it meanders a lot. It doesn't do the info dump thing these books have a habit of doing. It's more of a traditional science fiction story that happens to involve virtual reality than straight up LitRPG. It's not great, but it's more interesting.

Victorkm posted:

I'm all about recommending the Continue Online books. There's 5 of them I think (4?) and its a complete story now. It does meander a lot. In fact, there's a whole book where the main character plays a different game because he's locked out of the main one.

I've finished a new crop of LitRPG books.

Recommends:

3 books by Daniel Schinhoffen -

Alpha World book 1: Gamer for Life - Ex prison guard, now convicted murderer is offered to participate in a test of long term virtual reality immersion.
Last Horizon: Beta and Last Horizon: Live - Long time friends and guild-mates from old MMO games, basically Gen-Xers in their 60s, get together to play the brand new first Full Immersion VR game Last Horizon. Along the way, the main character finds out he has terminal cancer. Fun ensues?

These books say a lot about the author. Such as his fetishes and his tastes in women. Lots of sex - mostly off screen in Last Horizon and up in your face in Alpha World. But even though his writing paints him as a rather creepy dude, these books ended up being a rather enjoyable read. When I read Alpha World, I didn't realize it was the same author as the other two until I was done and then everything made sense because his female characters in one were just a remix of the same character traits presented in the female characters in the other. These novels carry the theme of the main characters treating virtual NPCs as people instead of as pieces of code, which gets them ahead of everyone else who treat the NPCs like poo poo.

Ascend Online: Hell to Pay - Not a sequel to the first book set in the same series, but running concurrently to it, this story of the criminal underworld path of play in the Ascend Online game starts with a failed heist leading to the main character losing all memory of the heist and branded with a sigil that allows him to go into a berserk fury at cost of his health. Sort of a mixture of Payback, The Hangover and the Sopranos but very fast paced and set to the background of a world ending threat. The first book was pretty enjoyable as well.

Weird Russian (translated?) book honorable mention:

The Dark Herbalist series: Video Game Plotline Tester and Stay on the Wing by Michael Atamanov - I really liked these two books and give them the recommend with the caveat of them being written by a Russian native author. If its a translation its well done, if not, it seems professionally edited. Story of a poor man with a young, crippled sister who signs up as a game tester for the massive Boundless Realms corporation. His job is to play their VR game with a lesser chosen race and class combination, in this case a Goblin Herbalist, and produce and publish gameplay videos to try to draw customers in the game world out of the cities and away from the tried and true race/class combinations. In exchange, he will be given the ability to withdraw game currency in the form of cash. The only wrinkle is that he had logged into the game years before and his character was infected with vampirism. Now, his goblin herbalist is a vampire in a game where all the vampires have been exterminated and every long time player has quests to kill vampires. If he is found out, he will be spawn camped until he quits playing.

Not recommends:
Lost Archive: A LitRPG adventure - a Linguistics scholar is pulled into a weird game-like world. This book sucked, nothing interesting happened. The main character has no real agency and the whole thing feels on rails. I mean, it should be on rails by definition, but in this case it just felt like nothing the main character did came with choices to make. Either he can do such and such and progress the plot or he can do nothing? I guess?

Eternal: The Awakening - A dude living in a world that might as well be an MMORPG but supposedly isn't wakes up with no memory. He can respawn if he dies. This is apparently special and unique in this world and it ends up he is some incredibly powerful reincarnation/return of a champion of chaos. Another book that pretty much sucked.

2) READ that "LITRPG" novel

AND

3) Choose one of the following three options:

Option A) post a detailed critical analysis of said LITRPG novel

Said analysis must be over 2,000 words and must discuss characterization, setting, and major themes. Reference should be made to applicable schools of literary analysis (Marxist, deconstructionist, post-colonial, etc). Optionally, it may compare the chosen work to other works of fantastic fiction. You do not have to pretend that you are reading a work of literature, just provide an in-depth analysis of the work's merits or lack thereof.

If you choose this option, you must complete it within two weeks from the date of this post.

or

Option B) Write a detailed review of said LITRPG novel

Said review must be over 1,000 words and must represent your genuine best effort at actually explaining to other people why they might want to read the book. To be clear, the review should be honest, and you should give your honest appraisal of the book, but should simultaneously 1) attempt to imagine a hypothetical person who could actually enjoy the book and 2) explain to that person what aspects of the book they might like.

If you choose this option, you must complete it within one week from the date of this post.

or

Option C) Post a Chapter-By-Chapter Let's Read of the book

If you choose this option, you must, as you read the book, make a new post every chapter, of at least paragraph length, detailing your responses to that chapter and to the novel in progress (you can take as your model the Last Man Standing thread from TV/IV).

There are no specific length requirements for this option or final deadlines for completion, but try to post at least one chapter response every few days until the book is finished.

If you do not complete this challenge by the above deadlines, as appropriate, I'll do something even more horrible.

As with other mod challenges, others are invited to participate and compete. Please keep all attempts at this challenge within this thread, however. Particularly deserving participants may get what they deserve.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

This seems stupid

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
do it pussy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

so do i get banned if i don't do that or what's the deal here. am i not allowed to make posts in a chat thread

I believe in you. I believe you have the potential for great things! I believe you can meet this challenge!

I've been plotting this for a while because the forum could use a mock thread for these "books," so it was going to happen to someone, you just lucked out and had the spinner land on you because

1) despite being not-dumb you have a track record of low-effort posts in effort threads (though I admit you've gotten better lately) and
2) that opening was just too perfect, plus the guy was just asking for help reading a legit hard book

That said I'm not gonna be a dick about punishments as long as somebody, yourself or otherwise, puts out some good LitRPG mockery here. Nothing's off the table but the rewards & penalties I'm considering have been more in the custom-title range.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 14, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That said I'm not gonna be a dick about punishments as long as somebody, yourself or otherwise, puts out some good LitRPG mockery here. Nothing's off the table but the rewards & penalties I'm considering have been more in the custom-title range.

gently caress it I'll do it if heart chickens out

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A 2000 word lit. analysis in 2 weeks isn't bad at all.

Do it heart

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

This seems stupid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just realized some participants may not have experience with the critical analysis format.

A good example of the sort of essay I'm thinking of can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/y7lg2lo4

Alternatively a good starting place is Terry Eagleton's Literary Theory but that should be considered above and beyond the call, I'm not going to force people to read *two* whole books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alternatively a good starting place is Terry Eagleton's Literary Theory but that should be considered above and beyond the call, I'm not going to force people to read *two* whole books

I never understood why Eagleton's Literary Theory is considered a textbook introduction to Critical Theory when its pretty clearly an argument that only a Marxist Materialist interpretation of literature matters.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CestMoi posted:

This seems stupid

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never understood why Eagleton's Literary Theory is considered a textbook introduction to Critical Theory when its pretty clearly an argument that only a Marxist Materialist interpretation of literature matters.

It seems better than How To Read Literature Like a Professor. What would you suggest is a better introduction?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Counter-revolutionary detected

Franchescanado posted:

It seems better than How To Read Literature Like a Professor. What would you suggest is a better introduction?

The Pooh Perplex, except it's outdated and the update book (Postmodern Pooh) isn't as good

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's the one that trots through different theories and ultimately announces that studying literature is worthless, isn't it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Mythologies by Barthes all day every day

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Marxist literary analysis seems like the most productive way to go to obtain valid but also humorous insights about a genre that appears to be fixated on gamification (that most capitalist form of "fun") and RPG economies. Given this, I am curious which of these LitRPG books is cheapest.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

man never piss off Hironymous ALloy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bilirubin posted:

man never piss off Hironymous ALloy

tbh Alloy seems pretty restrained for trying to run a general book forum that only ever gets posts about genre books.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
so this genre is like, book after book in the style of the legend of the 10 elemental masters

i see

CestMoi posted:

This seems stupid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not going to do tricks on command like a circus monkey. go gently caress yourself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to do tricks on command like a circus monkey. go gently caress yourself.

why are you so mad :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A human heart posted:

a good attitude

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

~Choose thy owne Adventure~

You wake up in a ditch, stripped of all belongings except for your trusty red scarf and a pair of headphones. The ditch is green and soft, no wonder you slept there for a while. The whole country is green and soft, except for the sky. The sky is dark, but it doesn't seem angry? There's a thunder rolling poetically and a voice that calls out from above: "idk, whatever", it intones.

To continue sleeping in the ditch, go to page 1
To confront the voice & do whatever, go to page 51

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

A human heart posted:

Circus monkeys get food in exchange for performing. Since you aren't getting anything, it's not really the same.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

well somebody is a grumpy gus

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

This seems stupid

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I lurk this subforum relatively frequently and I honestly always thought that human heart was Hieronymous' gimmick alt account because he always seemed pretty lenient with his constant shitposting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I lurk this subforum relatively frequently and I honestly always thought that human heart was Hieronymous' gimmick alt account because he always seemed pretty lenient with his constant shitposting.

shhhhh

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
You're not going to put ones I recommended up there on the quote board of shame? Awaken Online, Phantom Server, and Continue Online are all pretty good. For anyone trying this I do recommend you pick one of the "better" ones we recommend instead of one of the "bad" ones for laughs as they will probably fall into the really boring category while even the "good" ones will have plenty of stuff you can mock and laugh at.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

You're not going to put ones I recommended up there on the quote board of shame? Awaken Online, Phantom Server, and Continue Online are all pretty good. For anyone trying this I do recommend you pick one of the "better" ones we recommend instead of one of the "bad" ones for laughs as they will probably fall into the really boring category while even the "good" ones will have plenty of stuff you can mock and laugh at.

Oh man, so I just started reading a new one of these last night and am not surprised to find its been pulled from Amazon already.

Arcadia Unlocked: A LitRPG Novel (Arcadia LitRPG Book 1) by Alyssa Archer.

http://www.alyssaarcher.com/arcadiaunlocked

I've read only the first chapter and thus far it is 97% plagiarized from Total Recall. The first scene isn't, its just the recounting of the tail end of a raid playing a "normal" MMO in the in-book universe, but then the POV character wakes from a bad dream where his elf girlfriend and he are both dying and he can't save them. Then he wakes up in bed with his real girlfriend who is jealous of his dream girlfriend, and they talk about going on vacation after a very crude description of their morning sex (the words "hot wet pussy" were present). Then we cut to the main character at work where he is chatting with his best friend about trying out a "VR Vacation" to the new magical continent of Arcadia since he can't afford to go on a real one. His friend tries to dissuade him, telling him he knew a guy who tried VR vacations and it fried his brain. That's where I had to stop.

Edit:
I also finished "The Dark Paladin Book 2: The Quest" by the same guy who wrote the Way of the Shaman (Survival Quest is the first book in said series). I wouldn't recommend that anyone try to do either of the books in this series for this challenge. I mean, I enjoyed both of them to an extent but they are tough reads. Its translated from Russian and most of the concepts described in the books are not simple easy to describe and translate ideas. Also they are very bleak. Quick plot summary: The entire universe is just the setting for a massive Game, and none of us are players. drat near everyone on Earth and other planets is an NPC and they don't really matter. The ones who matter are the players. A small number(comparatively) of Paladins, Druids, Monks, Mages, Necromancers, Warriors, that were either born to other Players, initiated into the game from their role as NPCs by class organizations, or if somehow an NPC manages to kill a player, they can become a player. Even bleaker, once you become a player in this manner, quests are generated to other players to murder your entire family and any individual you have ever encountered in your life. And our main character, Yaropolk, was a Russian soldier on a training operation who managed to kill Devir, a high level Mage. Now he is a Player, and he has chosen to become a Paladin. Unfortunately, no one really likes players who are initiated by killing a player, and the world is out to kill him, or use him for their own purposes which probably don't align with his own. Also, the meanest person to Yari is a girl, of course, because why wouldn't these books be crazy sexist.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 18, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
books can be pulled from amazon? I didn't realize that was a thing

edit: as above, anyone who successfully completes any one of the above challenges will get some sort of reward (right now I'm leaning towards a gang tag, though I'm not sure what it will say, perhaps "High Level Reader")

To make things a bit easier, I am lowering the completion requirements to 1,000 words for the critical essay and 500 words for the review, just so people don't have to spend any more time than they want to.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 18, 2017

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I assume that's what happened. The reviews are still there if you google the book, but the link back to the store page is a missing page.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

edit: as above, anyone who successfully completes any one of the above challenges will get some sort of reward (right now I'm leaning towards a gang tag, though I'm not sure what it will say, perhaps "High Level Reader")

To make things a bit easier, I am lowering the completion requirements to 1,000 words for the critical essay and 500 words for the review, just so people don't have to spend any more time than they want to.

I don't think a human heart is going to do your challenge even if you make it easier.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that would involve them to actually be productive and participate in analytical discussion beyond 'lol gently caress you'

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Extremely worthwhile and productive discussion about how stupid you have to be to care about books with names like ARCADIA UNLOCKED

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've run the numbers, and this book, it's exceedingly bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

Extremely worthwhile and productive discussion about how stupid you have to be to care about books with names like ARCADIA UNLOCKED

I'm not disagreeing, the book sounds terrible. However, ahh's barely puts any efforts into their criticisms or jokes. The challenge isn't for them to enjoy the book, it's to actively make them a decent poster, and the book was the fodder. ahh has esoteric tastes in books, and if anyone has an interest in something outside of that narrow frame, ahh lazily writes them off with a 'lol, dumbass' from a holier-than-thou perch and, as far as I've seen, only barely ever makes effort posts. They've recommended me one or two books that were interesting, so it's not like they have poo poo taste, their poo poo-posting is boring. Most of the Lit. thread regulars are just as opinionated and abrasive as ahh, but most are willing to at least discuss things and analyze the books they read and defend them. ahh does not.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Someone find that guy who keeps talking about LitRPGs in the sci fi thread and tell him to pick the best one ever so I can read it and then make him cry kthnx

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Someone find that guy who keeps talking about LitRPGs in the sci fi thread and tell him to pick the best one ever so I can read it and then make him cry kthnx

I already did -- if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's quoted in the OP stating that one novel in particular, "Dominion of Blades", is the best litrpg he has ever read.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is that the fisherman book? I'm kinda tempted to try the fisherman book.

e: Not any more, turns out these things can't be easily :filez:'d and gently caress if I'm paying for that. Is any of the (within realm of possiblity) decent stuff on Kindle Unlimited?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I already did -- if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's quoted in the OP stating that one novel in particular, "Dominion of Blades", is the best litrpg he has ever read.

Jesus that book is 400+ pages long

I am all up for irony reading but not 400 pages of irony reading

• Locked thread