Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stephen

Stephen doesn't seem to react much to Longshot's admonition. Gives a kind of shaking nod. Then, the monster moves closer and hovers a tendril over the burned woman. He lets out his best comforting purr and gently starts pushing her towards Rook.

"Stephen wait Longshot. Longshot not die. Everyone happy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Carver

All too eager to collaborate with Rook, he carefully shaped and strengthened the casing, as well as carving razor sharp flechettes of claw fragments to be driven into their target's flesh to worsen the breach. If this worked, it was going to give the Shardclaw a very bad day.

Assisting Rook on bomb manufacture.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The hunters rest and craft there in the bear's lair, while Knight takes a look further down, finding nothing but stray tufts of fur. Meanwhile, a fire was lit for the night and meat smoked for easy transportation; with this, they would be able to walk for many days before facing starvation.
The day after, they woke up to a sunny, wet, and muddy day of treking through cloying mud. It was a slow and uncomfortable walk, as he topsoil has unfrozen and overflowed with cold water, seeping into shoes and socks and pants, but on they went. Eventually, after many hours, they reached the main road again, and their walking eased, though they still had to around or through the many missing sections of the road, and sections where the road had been flooded or sunken. Eventually, they put up a tent and camp and rested. The next day, they marched on. By the time two-thirds or so of the day had passed, the reached... a trail. Finally; the trail o the monster they had hunted. Deep, narrow holes marked where its long legs had sunken into the ground, and could be followed. It led them on, into a part of the tundra with... less ruins, more simple, open walking, though still with a jagged white rock here and there while they followed the deep narrow holes.
The day after however, they came to a problem: the ended. when the beast had walked the next part of its route, the ground had been frozen, and whatever marks it had left would have been on the now-melted snow. If it's left any on the ground, they'd be small, and difficult to spot.
What do you do?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Longshot

Longshot kneels down, taking a close look at the remains of the tracks in the dirt. She seemed a little more subdued than she'd been for the past few days.

Tracking roll: 4dF+3=1; oh right I have FP again. Invoking "Best tracker on the roster": Tracking roll: 4dF+3=4

Then a smile breaks across her face. "I think I may have spotted this thing's tracks."

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 9, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Longshot examines the muddy, wet dirt and, after a while, she finds the patters. Testing with a loong stick, she finds that there are patches where the perma-frost below the topsoil is raised, presumably as a result of the creature resting in the vecinity and leaving the area signifiantly cooler, cold enough that the afterefecs can still be felt days later.
The group presses on, slowly and the track turns more and more north. Another night comes, and they make camp again; and they walk. Slowly, as they move north, the terrain becomes firmer, rockier. The day after, the trail turns slighty west; by a rough estimation, you're getting closer to hemasr now.
Waking p on the fourth day, you're in the foothills of the cliffs and outcroppings that surround hemasr. In the distance, futher north-west, along the cliff-face, you see the the hulking mass of the beast, slowly moving along.
It'll still take you most of the day to get to it, but any traps you want to set up, gadgets you want to make, or alternative routes you want to take, this is the time.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 17, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Rook

Game time. Almost. Now that they could see the beast, he felt himself falter a bit. It was a big critter, bigger than most he'd tackled. Worse still was the amount of hassle they'd gone through to get here. But, hey, everything built on everything else. Without their exploration, they wouldn't have had a chance to learn to work together better. Without that fire-bear-thing, they wouldn't have had this beautiful bomb.

His only REAL regret was the state of Longshot. She'd rebuffed his attempts to help earlier, but he wouldn't have let her. She'd never complain, but those burns were pretty bad. In a moment of calm before the storm, he insisted on taking a look at her wounds, patching her up well enough to survive the upcoming trials.

Alchemy Despite Not Being An Actual Doctor Like For Fixing People And Stuff 4dF+4 = 4

Well, nothing else to be done. The fight was coming and he'd have to conserve the good stuff for later. It would just have to be enough to keep her going.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Carver

Ever the inveterate tinker, Carver took two of the remaining hard shells and proceeded to fabricate some Ablative Shielding, something to bear the brunt of the big monster's attack and protect the relatively fragile hunter using it.

Crafting Ablative Shielding: 4dF+4=3

Using 2x Hard Shell to create a one use damage soaking stunt, providing a +4 bonus to fighting for one defence roll.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 18, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stephen

The monster was a creature of cold, so they might as well all start nice and toasty before the fight. Stephen uses his new gland to warm the area while the others work. Hopefully they'll be refreshed for the next fight!

Creating the advantage: Feeling Warm by using my new stunt

Warming glow: 4dF+4 4

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

As they approached, the group prepared themselves, tending to each other and preparing themselves for the fight. The marched across the cold rocky ground, and approached the huge beast. As you do, the area gets colder - much much colder. Almost winter cold, and the air gets uncomfortable to breathe, almost painful. As for the creature...
Its shell is large, impossibly large, and its legs are as wide across as a man is tall; As you approach, you see that, in addition to the glowing shell of hard, white ice, its underside is lined with claws, like its two huge claws, and something beneath it is glowing. It's moving west, around a rocky outcropping, along a path that will eventually lead through the clifs and guide it down towards hemasr itself. It moves slowly, and does not seem to care for the hunters, allowing them to set themselves up as they wish, for now. as soon as they try to take it down, however, things will... change.

Oookay! we're entering phase one of combat! This is the capture phase; your attacks here won't 'hurt' the monster long term, but need to entangle it, tip it over, tie it up, burry it in rubble or in some other way impede it or pin it down. At this point, fight can't be used to make direct attacks, as, again, your attacks are more about pinning it down at this poin. (but can be used to create advantages) and you must have permission from an appropriate action to use Shoot.
The combat currently has the following zones:
On the monster.
Below the monster.
Behind the monster.
On the cliff next to the monster.
Place yourself as you wish, except for 'on the monster', then do an action.

Aspects in play:
Weak Joints I
Mass Produced Stimulants
Frozen barren cliffs
Warmed I

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Rook

"I think I speak for all of us when I say 'holy poo poo'." Shardclaw was immense as all get out, and they - the five of them - would have to kill it. Without themselves dying in the attempt. He shouldered the Breaching Charge, debating how best to tackle the beast. He sucked in air through his teeth, then tightened his mask and did a few last minute checks. "I'm going to get close. If I get the opportunity, I'll slam this bomb home and give it something to think about. We won't let this get to Hemasr, and I'll keep you all from croaking if I can help it. For now, wish me luck." He gave them a thumbs up, then passed his hands over his harness and broke into a run.

Scrimshawed Kinetic Harness Athletics 4dF+3 = 5

Trailing light, he ran alongside the beast, easily outpacing its ponderous stride. He watched it as he ran past, frowning beneath his mask. May as well be trying to take down a damned iceberg. Too bad. That was their job. He ran to the base of the cliffs - then ran up, leaping from handhold to handhold as he climbed to the peak. Once he vaulted over the edge, he waited, harness still vibrating against his ribs, for his team to act.

(Just setting myself up to do some crazy parkour stuff with my Harness' stunt, not being proactive just yet. If this is success with style, my parkour powers last the whole scene.)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Carver

Carver lumbered forwards, trying to get ahead of the creature far enough to set up something to impede its advance. Using its weight against it seemed the better option, given suitably sharp, suitably frangible material so as to try and get lodged in its means of locomotion. Cruel, but they weren't here to play nice

Crafting Impeding Spike Trap: 4dF+2=2

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stephen

That's the big kind of monster Stephen usually avoids. But, the monster remembered hearing something about its joints. All that shell must be real hard to carry. Would be even harder if a leg didn't work right.

The ooze breaks into a run, using long tendrils to pull itself along. He leaps at the closest leg and tries to attach itself. He makes sure not to make a challenge, Longshot told him not to.

Climb a leg: 4dF+3 1

Trying to get at the leg joint to prepare for a pinching! Probably not enough on that roll, so lets see some complications!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Longshot

"Okay, team, let's do this! Flare arrow incoming!"

After using her grapple to get to a decent perch on the cliff side, she takes aim with another glowing crystal arrow.

Moving as a free action/grapple stunt, then creating advantage "Blinded" with Shoot. Flare arrow: 4dF+4=4. If this is success with style, the Blinded aspect only applies to the crab.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Knight

Knight climbs up the cliff next to the monster, setting up to deliver an aerial attack as soon as the fighting breaks out.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

The hunters get in place, and Longshot starts the battle, blinding the creature with a flash arrow. Imediately, the creature screeched and kicked at poor stephen, who was halfway up a leg. And the, waves and waves of cold began emanating from the shell as its light pulsed, blasting cold into the air and ground to freeze all around it into place.

Inflicting aspects: 4dF+5 3 The monster also spends a fate point, invokes its high concept of monster ice crab for +2, for a total of 5 to create an aspect of each of you called 'frozen in place'. AS long as that aspect is in place, you can't move without an appropriate aspect ot stunt, and even then there will be active resistance from the crab.

It also kicks stephen, hard.
Kicking stephen (an attack): 4dF+3 3

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stephen

Dodge Kick: 4dF+3 4

Stephen collapses flat on the ground as the great crab tries to kick him, and it misses entirely!

Warm myself up: 4dF+4 0
Warm reroll: 4dF+4 5

The wave of ice is much more dangerous to the Monster Ooze. He once again employs his heater to try and fight the terrible cold. At first, it feels like the overwhelming wave of ice will be too much for the Fire Bear gland. But Stephen was already warm from earlier and eventually managed to fight off the freezing.

Used the boost on Warmed to reroll and remove the Frozen in Place aspect on myself

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Longshot

Longshot ignored the chill; hopefully she was high enough up the cliffside that this thing couldn't reach her. Speaking of which...

"Remember, everyone, aim for the knees! Give me a second and I can do something about those big claws!"

She reached into her quiver and drew an arrow with a ball of gummy substance in pace of the arrowhead. Realizing the importance of a good one-liner when saving an ally, she called out as she took aim: "Hey, big guy! Catch!"

Attempting to Create Advantatge Claw Stuck Shut with Shoot: Shot web: 4dF+4=5, invoking the Quiver's aspect to make that a +7.

The arrow explodes on impact, turning into a giant tangle of thick spiderwebs that wrap around the beast's claw.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Rook

"drat it, drat it!" The frost crept up his body, icing over his coat and causing his breath to fog out even in his warmed face mask. But it wasn't the pain that bothered him, it was the timing - he needed to be mobile, needed to be able to take his shot when the opportunity presented himself. He wriggled in his frozen shell, breaking shards of ice off frozen leather, freeing his hands enough to score deep lines in the encroaching frost.
Athletics to Break The Ice! 4dF+3 = 3, Invoking Claws for +2
After a few moments of fierce scrabbling against the frozen surface, he broke free enough to throw himself backwards and behind cover. Soon it, too, would feel the full force of the cold, but for now he could take a breather. He wiped his goggles clean, vaulted the stone ledge of the cliff, and dove for one of the beast's legs.

(I believe a 5 is sufficient to nullify the attempt to inflict Frozen on me, let me know. I'd like to jump onto him from here as per my "leap unlikely distances and perform dangerous acrobatic maneuvers without making rolls to do so" stunt that I set up last time - and I think that I succeeded in that with style and ought to have this ability throughout the scene.)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Carver

Carver tried to smash himself free of the restraining ice, to no avail.

Smash himself free with fight: 4dF+4=2

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Knight

Knight attempts to break out of the ice with raw physical power, first freeing his lance-wielding arm and then smashing at the ice around his body.

4dF+4 = 1

But the ice was snaking all around his body, restricting his movements, preventing him from freeing his arm in the first place. Stuck the way he was by the ice, he looked like little more than a metal statue.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

As the heroes struggle against the wave after wave of cold, the crab moves slowly backwards. Its left claw is stuck, and it can't use it, but its right claw is still entirely usable, and, as it positioned itself to see Stephen, it reached out with a single, quick motion to grab and crush him.
Clawin stephen: 4dF+5 7

While it does, the light from beneath its shell seems to be shrinking, but glowing brighter, and layers of frost form on top of it.
Intensifying: 4dF+5 6

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Stephen
Stress: [][X][][]
Dodge!: 4dF+3 5

Newly warmed, Stephen is able to mostly escape the deadly claws. The organic matter lost was inconsequential, for now.

Stephen wedges his much smaller claw into the joint of the large crab and clamps, hoping to ground it before another wave of ice freezes them all in place.

Tear a leg! (Physique + Stunt): 4dF+6 8 (with a giant enemy that we're still trying to ground I'm not sure what kind of action this is. If the stunt doesn't apply we can just use weak joints for the same value.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Carver

Carver tried to smash himself free of the restraining ice again, still to no avail.

Smash himself free with fight: 4dF+4=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Longshot

Cursing under her breath, Longshot notched another arrow, hoping to at the very least draw the beast's attention from Carver.

"Hey! Ugly! Up here!"

Regular shot: Shoot: 4dF+4=5

• Locked thread