Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Pyre is the third game developed by Supergiant Games, the team behind Bastion and Transistor. It's a party-based RPG where you guide a plucky band of characters in fights against others in a struggle for freedom.

What's the gameplay like?
In Pyre, you control a group of exiles who want to win back their freedom from the Downside by fighting others in mystical battles called Rites. The Rites are three-on-three affairs in which the objective is to snuff the enemy team's pyre with a magical orb while protecting your own. By choosing the right team, using their skills, equipping Talismans and learning Masteries, you must guide your team to victory (or defeat...) to learn more about the world and enlighten the path to freedom.

Out of battle, the player-character and their team travel to different areas to seek out Rites to take part in, and sometimes you can make a choice to help support or improve the party, such as scavenging for supplies, learning more about the world, training the other exiles to make them stronger, or choosing what path to take to your destination.

There is a definite Bastion/Transistor feel to the movement and ability uses, so if you played those games it's likely you'll find it familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvxfmnrNj2U

Tell me more about the fighting!
Rites take place in an arena with two pyres at opposite ends of the field. A glowing orb that starts at the center of the field must be launched or taken into the opponent's pyre, causing damage to it. Characters who pick up the orb become vulnerable to opponents' auras around them, and if they touch an enemy's aura they drop the orb and are removed from the field temporarily. Character abilities range from dashes or jumps to avoid enemies to projectile magic that removes enemies from the field and clear the way to the enemy's pyre. Leveling up the characters' abilities through a skill tree can make them stronger in Rites, and equipping special items make them even stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgHK1Z1PLY

Tell me more about the story.
The player-character is an exile who happens to be literate. After meeting three other exiles who discover the player-character's literacy, they join the player-character and call him/her the Reader. By defeating other exiles they hope to earn their freedom and cleanse their souls to escape the Downside, and as the journey continues, new exiles eventually join the party, seeking their own enlightenment.

What's the multiplayer like?
The game is geared more towards a single-player experience, but there is a local Versus mode where you and a friend can have a three-on-three Rite fight. According to the developers, there is no online mode planned.

Is there more footage of this game?
There sure is. Here's an hour-long stream by the developers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6oDny79ngY

...and a "first look" video from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snrx6VSlXTY

I played Bastion and/or Transistor. Is the music good? Is that one sexy voice actor participating in Pyre?
Yes and yes. Darren Korb, the composer for the other two games, made the soundtrack for Pyre, and Logan Cunningham (Rucks in Bastion and Red's friend in Transistor) is back voicing the "announcer" of the Rites and a few characters in-game. Other voice actors from the other two games are also back.

What are people saying about the game?
Several reviewers, including goons, agree on three basic things: the game is charming, full of character, and fun. Were you a fan of Bastion or Transistor? You'll very likely enjoy Pyre!

Pyre is out for Steam and PlayStation 4.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Forgot this was coming out so soon, I have high hopes for it since Transistor and Bastion are both fantastic games. Transistor in particular has the distinction of having both the best soundtrack and best voice actor in any game I've ever played, with music good enough to listen to on its own and the guy playing the final boss having the perfect sort of dry, clinical delivery you would expect from his character. Two games isn't necessarily a lot to go by, but I'm going to be really surprised if this turns out to be anything short of incredible.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Honestly, I hope the meat of the gameplay is as fun as Transistor's and Bastion's frenetic combat was. From video footage I see, the soccer-like (Rocket League?) Rites seem pretty straightforward and I hope they can carry the game through. That, or fall back on the story to carry most of the weight of the entertainment, which isn't so bad considering the story of the other two games was drat solid.

No online play to 1v1 your friends over Steam or PSN seems like a real missed opportunity though. I don't know the first thing about videogame development but if you've gotten local versus down pat, is it very difficult in this day and age to slap on some connectivity online? Or is all online play done on a central server and Supergiant just didn't want to invest money in keeping an online server going?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Reviews are coming in and it's looking good. Just don't read the Kotaku one because it segued into spoilers without warning.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for making this thread, I had no idea this was coming out. Big fan of their other games so I'll be picking it up. Looks fun.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The biggest, most agonizing choice to make early game:

Keep or shave off Rukey's mustache?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Olive Branch posted:

The biggest, most agonizing choice to make early game:

Keep or shave off Rukey's mustache?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgpOdRXXu0

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Supergiant Games are the only games I would blindly pre-order

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mercedes posted:

It's pretty interesting that they go from one new game to the next. Then again, a lot of indie developers who make direct sequels (Banner Sage 2, Legend of Grimrock 2) have difficulty replicating the success of the first game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mercedes posted:

Same here. I'm excited for this game, especially after the excellence of transistor.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
One of the reviews described this as NBA Jam crossed with a visual novel. I don't really care, first full price game I've bought in ages.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You're drat right I picked it. :colbert:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I don't even like sports games at all which is essentially what this is, but I'm excited to get home and buy this. It's getting great reviews everywhere I've seen and even if I end up not liking the gameplay I'm fine giving Supergiant money just for the hell of it.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I've played this for about 30 minutes so here I am to deliver my comprehensive review: This game is really charming and novel and it's fun. Supergiant games are always special.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I won't even get to try playing this until mid-August because I'm out of the country, but I made the thread because I am always hype for Supergiant Games games. It's me, I am the exile.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mercedes posted:

The mechanics didn't seem particularly my thing at a glance, but Supergiant's earned enough trust from me that I'll take that chance.

Really though, I'm impressed at their willingness to build new games from the ground up where others would churn out sequel after sequel.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Gave this four hours today, I enjoyed it a lot even though I don't play sport games. The gameplay starts off fairly straightforward, and you can stick with that, but more complex maneuvers are introduced.

The writing's great, and I find myself liking the characters so far. It's a really small detail, but the mouseover tips are really nice -- a short description, and a snippet of lore.

One thing I find really interesting is how whenever you're given a choice, it is almost always a one-and-done deal. Most games will let you see everything.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

do yourselves a favor and bump the difficulty up to hard. idk if it's just indicative of the beginning but the first few encounters were braindead, only got interesting when I set it above Normal.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Darren Korb is a friend of a friend, and frankly the soundtrack makes Supergiant games worthwhile even if (like Transistor) they're only OK, but this game owns.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
The end credits' lyrics. actually change based on the decisions you make in the game, down to a per character basis...that's a lot of effort, seriously.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Are people already done with this game, jeez.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The actual gameplay seems kind of simplistic after three hours. Even turning the difficulty up to hard, every match has been won by taking whoever is currently selected at the start, grabbing the ball, then running/jumping over to the other side. Maybe kill or dodge some people on the other team if necessary, but so far there hasn't been a single instance where I needed to do any sort of positioning with my other teammates or pass the ball around to make specific plays. The polish on everything is great though and the overall look/feel is enough to keep me playing through to the end. Maybe it gets harder later on and I'll actually have to start using some sort of strategy.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

PurplieNurplie posted:

The end credits' lyrics. actually change based on the decisions you make in the game, down to a per character basis...that's a lot of effort, seriously.

Just finished the game and was about to post about this. The credits scroll owns. There's a closure for every single party member and NPC.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really appreciate this game's character writing. I also love subtle things like the character status messages when you mouse over their knicknacks in the wagon.

Sandra: Cursing the Scribes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Are people already done with this game, jeez.

Its not super long, but it's made to be replayed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also, telling Rukey to shave should just automatically uninstall your game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The way you get kind of caught on objects instead of smoothly sliding along them kind of throws me off, and I feel like casting auras of my own is a waste of time most of the time, but I'm enjoying myself so far.

I just stuck two moondusts on a speed-up accessory for Ae and ram her past everyone into the goal.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The rite is kind of a cool premise, it's just a shame that you never have to use any sort of tactics beyond: pick up ball with first person and run straight at goal. I'm a couple of hours in now and this is all i've had to do. Does it get any more complex?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the rite battle with the witch for the first time definitely made me switch things up as far as strategy goes

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gunder posted:

The rite is kind of a cool premise, it's just a shame that you never have to use any sort of tactics beyond: pick up ball with first person and run straight at goal. I'm a couple of hours in now and this is all i've had to do. Does it get any more complex?

Play on Hard and the enemies will have the same stats but will actually sprint and jump and try to lead with their auracasts.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just beat it, loved it as is to be expected with me and Supergiant games. Craftsmanship and artistry is a good 75% of what I enjoy in games so they could probably just make Paint Drying Simulator and I'd still eat it up. Transistor is still my favorite but I'm a huge sap for that kind of story.

I really liked the story and how you made a lot of choices that had weight in regards to the ending. At least they felt that way, unsure how much you can REALLY change things up in terms of the major story beats but it'll be interesting to see in subsequent playthroughs. The gameplay was alright, it's a neat concept with some fun things you can do and it definitely has some skill to it. That said, it's essentially playing Meepo and that poo poo is the loving worst I hate multi-unit control.

Constantly asking you to change up your party was cool though, as it gave you story "penalties" (not really but if you like to WIN WIN WIN and get the "good end" and things like that you need to switch your party up) if you kept just trying to ride the same strategy to victory. I came up with several successful strategies over the course of the game, which was fun. However, because it's real time and actually very fast paced later on with the difficulty turned up, you don't get to rely on tactics in the actual Rites themselves that much. If you try to do some kind of set-up play the AI is just going to zap all your dudes and dunk on you in a split second from full court. So I generally became reliant on just having a striker of some kind that could just evade everyone, dunk the ball, and respawn (so either good at throws or with a respawn mechanic) or using an offensive character as a suicide bomber to take out their squad with stacked respawn penalties.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Similarly, I'm finding Jodi impossible to use because she's just too slow. Maybe I need to get better at using her jump and dash?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Solumin posted:

Similarly, I'm finding Jodi impossible to use because she's just too slow. Maybe I need to get better at using her jump and dash?

She's honestly my favorite at the moment. If you can juke people properly and get past them, you can just leap to the goal. Use her stamina every time it's available to get ahead/around/behind someone. Then leap slam into the pyre.

EDIT: Also a good trick is to get close to someone with her, then quickly pass the ball away. Her aura will immediately pop out, kill everyone in its very wide area, and then you can pass it right back to her and continue.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Pryce posted:

She's honestly my favorite at the moment. If you can juke people properly and get past them, you can just leap to the goal. Use her stamina every time it's available to get ahead/around/behind someone. Then leap slam into the pyre.

She's been on my team in every match but one and you don't even really have to juke anyone. The computer is kind of dumb even on hard, so half the time I've banished them either by throwing my aura or walking into them and then just strolled over to the enemy pyre without any opposition while they're all on cooldown. Also took the talent that gives me +10 pyre damage if I salute before jumping in, and the one that lets me banish opponents by spiking the ball at them. Nothing has really been able to deal with it yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

for the record, once you reach a certain point in the game you get the chance to invoke Bastion-style difficulty modifiers in exchange for increased experience, and it's around that time that the enemy teams start actually putting up a fight. Definitely bumping it up to hard for my next playthrough, especially since there doesn't seem to be any kind of New Game Plus.

Anyway, game owns, even though the formula starts to get a bit tiresome to go through by the end if you've been playing for a while. (I binged through it in two play sessions, which probably didn't help.)

For those of you who've beaten the game:

I'm just curious, what order did you liberate people in? For me it was Rukey, Hedwyn, the enemy Fate team, Ti'Zo, Sir Gilman, Pamitha, and then finally Fae for the very last ritual.

Jodi stayed because she's one of the most suited to life in the Downside and she didn't really care either way if she got out; and of course Volfred and Bertrude were perfectly at home down there to begin with.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Really enjoying this so far. As always the music is great, the voiced work is brilliant and it has a nice charm. Only been able to play it for a couple of hours so far but it is a lot of fun. The commentary during matches is wonderfully dry.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Anyways I finished this game today and I liked it a lot! I was reading posts on neogaf (don't do this) and the point came up that even though everyone says the Downside is a terrible, terrible place to live in, it doesn't quite seem that way? You don't really get a sense that the crew is struggling to survive. The game doesn't really talk about it that much, but it does seem a bit odd.

Exile Order (endgame spoilers):
For me it was Jodi -> Rukey -> Tamitha (Lost to her) -> Hedwyn -> Sir Gilman -> Pamitha -> let Oralech go (Xae was anointed).

Part of the reason for this was because I was paranoid that some of the people you sent up would try to forget you when they returned. So I chose Jodi because at that point of time all I knew was that she cares about Hedwyn, and is fairly directionless otherwise.
Obviously it's p clear how much more trustworthy everybody is once you get to know them better. I kept V&B for the same reason, and I didn't let Ti'Zo up mostly because he would be p comfortable in the downside. the reason I let Oralech go was because Xae was so willing to give her chance to me, and I think I'd resigned myself from the beginning to staying behind. Also I felt bad for him, and the fact that he starts bandaging someone up (the revolution, unfortunately, was not peaceful) like the minute he arrives makes me feel like I made a good choice. I'm curious about what would've happened if I'd sent Volfred up before.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 27, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm kinda curious what differs if you intentionally lose every Rite, but I'll have to save that for a second playthrough or something since I've barely started my first one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Its not super long, but it's made to be replayed.
I didn't mean that as a dig against the game's length, more just my renewed amazement that some people beat games that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hahahaha the punk rock dog is amazing

• Locked thread