Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

dmboogie posted:

For those of you who've beaten the game:

I'm just curious, what order did you liberate people in? For me it was Rukey, Hedwyn, the enemy Fate team, Ti'Zo, Sir Gilman, Pamitha, and then finally Fae for the very last ritual.

Jodi stayed because she's one of the most suited to life in the Downside and she didn't really care either way if she got out; and of course Volfred and Bertrude were perfectly at home down there to begin with.

kurona_bright posted:

Exile Order (endgame spoilers):
For me it was Jodi -> Rukey -> Tamitha (Lost to her) -> Hedwyn -> Sir Gilman -> Pamitha -> let Oralech go (Xae was anointed).

Part of the reason for this was because I was paranoid that some of the people you sent up would try to forget you when they returned. So I chose Jodi because at that point of time all I knew was that she cares about Hedwyn, and is fairly directionless otherwise.
Obviously it's p clear how much more trustworthy everybody is once you get to know them better. I kept V&B for the same reason, and I didn't let Ti'Zo up mostly because he would be p comfortable in the downside. the reason I let Oralech go was because Xae was so willing to give her chance to me, and I think I'd resigned myself from the beginning to staying behind. Also I felt bad for him, and the fact that he starts bandaging someone up (the revolution, unfortunately, was not peaceful) like the minute he arrives makes me feel like I made a good choice. I'm curious about what would've happened if I'd sent Volfred up before.

Endgame order/thoughts
Tiz -> Rukey -> Hedwyn (I think the third Liberation is ALWAYS against Tamitha for the Pamitha guilt trip) -> Sir Gilman -> Jodi -> Bertrude -> annointed Pamitha, but went up myself instead [with Sandra in my pocket]. I based my order on if I had fully unlocked their Bio and their usefulness in Rites. Jodi and Pamitha didn't confess their crimes to me until I had them both at Rank 5.

I regret sending Tiz first when it should have been Rukey or Jodi, but that was more due to having poor Rank/enlightenment distribution early game. I should have sent Pamitha up instead of Bertrude in hindsight once I found out what happens to her in the Downside. She ends up attempting to make amends with Tamitha, but is assaulted and permanently loses the use of her right wing. They do end up on speaking terms though. Pamitha was just so useful offensively in combat.

I always intended to let Bae stay behind due to her being :downs:. Things turned out well since she ended up paired with Almar in the Downside.

My revolution was successful and entirely bloodless.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Went into the game on hard since people were saying normal was too easy but I'm getting my face kicked in out there. Lost one of the rites, so I figured I should get some practice in, but I keep losing in there too - albeit by a thin margin each time. A lot of that's probably user error since hitting W to jump means I frequently, instinctively waste precious seconds trying to move with WASD by accident - only to suddenly remember, right, you use the mouse - but I'm thinking I might have to flip back to normal, at least until I've learned the way of things.

I think it's cool how the game builds your failures into the story, but I'd rather those failures were due to being outplayed rather than operator error.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I did Jodi->Rukey->Tamitha (let her win when Pamitha asked...feelsbadman)->Hedwyn->Ti'zo->Volfred->Oraleth (Instead of Pamitha). Letting Volfred+Oraleth+Tizo go up gets you some pretty nice stuff, they all hang out and interact in neat ways. I was a bit disappointed with Sandra, I did everything I could with her in the hopes that I could free her (or better yet get her in my party) but no dice. You do get a nice little ending if you stay in Downside and take her orb with you though, so that was cool. I wonder if taking her with you topside gets you a different ending.

Next time I play I think I'll leave behind Volfred, Fae, Bertrude, and Ti'zo, while going up myself and letting no other teams win. I'm curious to see if Hedwyn and Pamitha have some ending interactions around Hedwyn's bird girlfriend.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dmboogie posted:

I'm just curious, what order did you liberate people in? For me it was Rukey, Hedwyn, the enemy Fate team, Ti'Zo, Sir Gilman, Pamitha, and then finally Fae for the very last ritual.

Jodi stayed because she's one of the most suited to life in the Downside and she didn't really care either way if she got out; and of course Volfred and Bertrude were perfectly at home down there to begin with.

I sent Rukey first then Ti'zo (because I misunderstood the Worthiness thing and definitely was not sending Hedwyn or Jodi at that point), then Tamitha beat us and got out, Hedwyn, Jodi, Pamitha and finally Bertrude because I could absolutely trust her to fulfil Sandalwood's plan.

Everyone kept bringing up reasons I shouldn't send them the night before the Liberation I'd decided they'd go on! I didn't want to send Jodi first 'cause it felt like admitting that we all pitied her for being there so long and then when I decided on her time, she hits it off with Ignarius! Kae stayed since she kept mentioning that life up there was pretty miserable for her and that she loved being with her friends down here, it was difficult separating her and Ti'zo :(, and she ended getting to know that good dog's son more. I kinda didn't trust Gilman not to side with the Commonwealth again until near the very end so he and Pamitha were kinda vying for a spot but she reaffirmed her commitment first and got to go home.

My Reader spent the rest of her days wandering the Downside with her crystal ball ghost girlfriend :3:

So. That game was pretty fantastic. Definitely going to replay sometime soon

Bertrude's 'Shoot Through Walls' skill is ridiculous and I love it

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bad Seafood posted:

Went into the game on hard since people were saying normal was too easy but I'm getting my face kicked in out there. Lost one of the rites, so I figured I should get some practice in, but I keep losing in there too - albeit by a thin margin each time. A lot of that's probably user error since hitting W to jump means I frequently, instinctively waste precious seconds trying to move with WASD by accident - only to suddenly remember, right, you use the mouse - but I'm thinking I might have to flip back to normal, at least until I've learned the way of things.

I think it's cool how the game builds your failures into the story, but I'd rather those failures were due to being outplayed rather than operator error.

I see alot of people saying it's too easy on Normal but I lost a couple of Rites and a lot more (including some very important ones) came within a hair of a loss so /shrug. There are ways of making it trickier for yourself after awhile like the other Supergiant games so try them out once you've gotten used to controlling things maybe

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The rites started off pretty easy but they did get harder towards the end. Though it seems like certain masteries/talismans are overpowered and trivialize a lot. Though the titan stars certainly let you ramp up the difficulty if you need it.

Ending stuff:
My order was Hedwyn -> Tamitha (I let her win because of Pam's guilt trip) -> Fae -> Sir Gilman -> Pamitha -> Rukey -> Bertrude

I kinda wish I let Jodi go instead of Bertrude but she was really useful ( I wasn't sure if something would happen after the last rite or not) and her thoughts showed she was indifferent about it. I felt Bertrude would have been a strong asset for the revolution and Volfred tells you not to pick him. It worked out though, the revolution was a complete success. Jodi and Ignarious hit it off in Downside so that's cool. You get to hang out with Volfred and Tizo printing books, plus Sandra is great so it's not that bad an ending.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 27, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Reading some divisive stuff about the wizard basketball part, but for those that beat it does it have Transistor's problem where the game ends just as the gameplay mechanics/systems start to get more complex and interesting for the player?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The presentation of everythign is top notch but I think im going to shelve it because the Rites are just so boring.

I once read a little blurb about FFX's premise that made it sound like Blitzball players werent just sportsmen, but also heroes and priests and the game was incredibly important to Spira life and culture. Now, that didnt happen but Ive always been interested in a sport having that kind of cultural significance in the game world. Pyre didnt quite scratch that itch either. I know it wasnt trying to, but I keep hoping I can find something like that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
That's a hard question to answer. Unlike transistor, a lot of the customization comes in much sooner (instead of having half of it locked in NG+). But the customization is much more limited in general and you actually have less flexibility as the game goes on due to certain mechanics. There's definite strategy and interesting things you can do by utilizing characters together but half the time it's probably easier to just bait the enemy with one of the fast characters than do any complicated combo. Also unless you jack up the difficulty settings, the AI isn't that hard to manipulate. I'm sure if you do though you can make it very hard for yourself if you want in the mid-late game.

I think the gameplay is alright, I'd say its comparable to transistor in that it's a very interesting concept but there are some rough spots. That said battles are fluid and are usually pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend the game based on gameplay alone but the gameplay didn't stop me from enjoying the excellent art/music/writing.

Fun part about the rites is that losing doesn't game over you. Winning is always optional, so if you are bored or really hate doing the rites, just do nothing and let the enemy win. That is always an option, and sometimes its the more interesting one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's also the difficulty modifiers you unlock a little ways in.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Finished. Awesome game, their best game yet. I kinda wonder if people finding the Rites boring are min-maxing a bit too much. Don't do that, keep varying up your party. There's big narrative reasons to bring specific people to fight against specific teams. Don't try and make the game easier and boringer for yourself because like previous Supergiant games it'll let you.

Order was Hedwyn -> Rukey -> Jodi -> Pamitha -> Fae -> Sir Gilman -> Oraleth, and I'm pretty happy with it. The way it worked out for me, I let each go when they completed their character arc. Rukey clearing his family's debts, Jodi sorting out her racism problem and doing the tryst with Ignatious, Pamitha having fought her sister twice, after which she tells you about how she got exiled and concedes that if freed, Tamitha will probably kill herself fighting the Commonwealth (I'm not sure if this is really a happy ending, but maybe the lesson is that Tamitha is just not that great a person, Pamitha vs Tamitha in the Liberation Rite is pretty great), Sir Gilman after kicking Sir Deluge's rear end a bunch of times and helping all the others. And Oraleth because I figured he wasn't really all that bad, and kinda what Vorfred really wanted. I'm least sure about Fae since she's pretty happy staying put, but then again maybe she's helpful up top, and Jodi's kinda her mom. I didn't want to break up the Vorfred/Tizo/Bertrude team which felt pretty appropriate to take against Oraleth.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 27, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when you encounter The Dissidents? Or if it's available anywhere?

edit: FOUND IT! It's not on the OST for some reason, but they have it on their youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LMZYnOml54

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 27, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

JuniperCake posted:

That's a hard question to answer. Unlike transistor, a lot of the customization comes in much sooner (instead of having half of it locked in NG+). But the customization is much more limited in general and you actually have less flexibility as the game goes on due to certain mechanics. There's definite strategy and interesting things you can do by utilizing characters together but half the time it's probably easier to just bait the enemy with one of the fast characters than do any complicated combo. Also unless you jack up the difficulty settings, the AI isn't that hard to manipulate. I'm sure if you do though you can make it very hard for yourself if you want in the mid-late game.

I think the gameplay is alright, I'd say its comparable to transistor in that it's a very interesting concept but there are some rough spots. That said battles are fluid and are usually pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend the game based on gameplay alone but the gameplay didn't stop me from enjoying the excellent art/music/writing.

Fun part about the rites is that losing doesn't game over you. Winning is always optional, so if you are bored or really hate doing the rites, just do nothing and let the enemy win. That is always an option, and sometimes its the more interesting one.

Thanks, this sounds like something I might bounce hard off on so I'll wait for it to be a ps+ freebie

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ahahaha, I was wondering how the official soundtrack would handle the credits song.

It's the version you'd get if you didn't get a single one of your exiles out. "Everyone stayed true 'till the end" is an incredibly delicate way of putting "your plan is SOL and people like Tamitha and Udmildhe are running free on the surface." :v:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Finished it. Order for me was Hedwyn->Rukey->Jodi->Let Sir Doggo win->Sir Gillman->Pamitha->Let Rhae go instead of the Reader at the very end.

I would change those if I could. I let Hedwyn go as soon as possible because he was the best bro and deserved to go free, but in hindsight I wish I could have gotten to know him better too. Also, kinda regret letting Pamitha go...she wasn't really down with the plan. She ended up helping, sure, but she wasn't really down with it. It's more like it was her only choice. Should've rescued the Reader instead of her. Booo. But aside from that, pretty happy with my ending. Think next time I'll liberate the same people, but I'll probably have a slightly different order so I get to hang out with some of those characters more.

Is there a way to fast-forward text on replays?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A quick non-Pyre question to people who played a lot of Transistor, I freaking loved that game but definitely felt like I would have enjoyed more battles like the last fight where your opponent has a full range of abilities too. Does the NG+ actually give the enemies more varied abilities or does it just make things more difficult generally?

I don't usually play New Game+ on things but I've kinda been jonesing to revisit Transistor for a few weeks now

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think there's something about holding space to fast forward in the option that you can turn on.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
From what I remember, Transistor's NG+ picked up where the game ended in terms of enemies. It also changes the story a little, so it's worth replaying!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Solumin posted:

From what I remember, Transistor's NG+ picked up where the game ended in terms of enemies. It also changes the story a little, so it's worth replaying!

Wasn't the literal only story change the line that gets played when you start a new game? I remember there being significantly less stuff than Bastion's.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I did a gimmick run because I didn't trust the Plan:
Won every match except the last ones each time, sent as much trash as I could up, it turned out pretty well in the end, now Nightwings all hang out in the downside being friends together, and the commonwealth is a pluralistic society after the Harp's invaded and took over, a lot of people died though

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Wasn't the literal only story change the line that gets played when you start a new game? I remember there being significantly less stuff than Bastion's.

Yeah actually now that I think about it, that might be the only change.

But it's a hell of a twist!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Alright, thanks. I'm looking forward to replaying it once I'm done with Rainworld or La Mulana

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you use the Lone Minstrel's lute to listen to music, all of the songs are done with a single acoustic instrument! That's so freakin' cool!

One thing I feel like this game could use is one more difficulty level. Hard is good but I still don't really feel that threatened to lose any games.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 28, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
My game is consistently crashing during the first night-time mission. Has anyone else had this, and figured out a fix?

Edit: some further reading tells me I’m not the only one with this problem, and Supergiant is working on a fix for it. Neat! I enjoyed what I was able to play, so that’s something, at least.

It’s funny, I always see those “Fixed one particular crash” patch notes and go “Huh, that must’ve affected like ten people.” Now I’m the ten people. :(

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PantsBandit posted:

If you use the Lone Minstrel's lute to listen to music, all of the songs are done with a single acoustic instrument! That's so freakin' cool!

One thing I feel like this game could use is one more difficulty level. Hard is good but I still don't really feel that threatened to lose any games.

Minor spoilers I guess, but one of the added difficulty stars you get later on is basically just making enemies smarter and faster to react. I tried it out when I unlocked it and it's the only match I've lost so far. If you play on hard and turn that on as well you get a pretty solid challenge, I'm saving it for future runs to see how the story progresses when you actually lose a bunch of games.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does this game ever move beyond hitting spacebar a million times to get through all of the bullshit so I can finally play high fantasy basketball

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

beergod posted:

Does this game ever move beyond hitting spacebar a million times to get through all of the bullshit so I can finally play high fantasy basketball

This game isn't for you, my guy.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
If you don't like the writing why are you playing the campaign and not the versus mode against ai

actually if you don't like the writing you should probably just refund it

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I get what they were going for with the book and trying worldbuilding of the Downside that way but when Sandalwood asked me what I thought about it, I didn't mind telling him it was super tedious at all.

I also think it's kinda weird we never meet any more 'regular' Downside residents or go to a 'regular' town or village. There's the one you meet Bertrude in, and that's about it. The Rites are meant to be secret to most of the inhabitants so presumably there are lots more people in the Downside and yet we never meet any of them.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, probably my biggest complaint about the game is that we have basically no idea how everyday life in the Downside actually works. Like, the cur scribe's chapters give us some more info about the climate and food and poo poo, but nothing about society. How many people are even down there? How many of them were born in the Downside, and what's their culture like?

On the one hand, that might be getting a bit outside the scope of the game; on the other it makes the decision of who to leave behind a lot more nebulous because you really don't have much to go on about how lovely a life you're theoretically condemning your friends/yourself to.

This is more minor, but it also bugs me that The Voice is the only character in the game not to get an epilogue. He's a large enough part of the game that it feels weird that he's not even mentioned, especially since he's the freaking Archjustice.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 28, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Although I'd rather Supergiant make new games instead of sequels, I wouldn't mind a new game with new mechanics and new characters and a new story set in the Downside. Bastion and Transistor's worlds felt complete and self-contained (even from the beginning), but Pyre feels like the tip of the iceberg.

Of course, that's arguably the appeal: wanting an answer, as opposed to receiving one. It's more fun to wonder, they'll say. And maybe they're right. Still, Fantasy Australia seems like a happenin' place.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

dmboogie posted:

On the one hand, that might be getting a bit outside the scope of the game; on the other it makes the decision of who to leave behind a lot more nebulous because you really don't have much to go on about how lovely a life you're theoretically condemning your friends/yourself to.

This is more minor, but it also bugs me that The Voice is the only character in the game not to get an epilogue. He's a large enough part of the game that it feels weird that he's not even mentioned, especially since he's the freaking Archjustice.

I think that's on purpose

The game progresses whether you win or lose. The narrative in general stresses repeatedly that failure is never the end. So while choosing people to liberate is a difficult choice, who you choose is ultimately unimportant, even letting the enemy win doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

Instead, the key is that the Nightwings stay true to themselves and are always looking out for each other whether they are on downside or in the commonwealth. Doesn't matter if they are all stuck in downside or if they are split between the two worlds, they remember their bonds and do what they can to keep true to their promises and help their friends. Even if they have to give up their own freedom, they'd still fight tooth and nail for the freedom of their comrades, etc. That's how they survive. This is in contrast with the failure of the previous incarnation of the Nightwings who forgot these lessons (except for Volfred and Tizo). Ultimately, they favored their own freedom over each other and that's why they failed. So I think it's less about who gets to go, and more about the ties the Nightwings cultivate as a kind of family.

So while certain outcomes are better than others, I don't think there is a bad one for the Nightwings. I like the really optimistic tone of this game. It's a nice break from the more cynical themes in their other games.

That's how I interpret everything anyways.

Also the voice does get mentioned in other people's epilogues depending on the ending you get. If you get a violent revolution and Hedwyn is out, it'll mention that he was the one who led the charge on the Archjustice's palace. In the harp invasion ending (when the rebellion fails) it's indicated that the leaders of the commonwealth were killed, so yeah he gets a bad ending pretty much no matter what.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, you know how everyone cheats in the Liberation rites? Can someone fill in some gaps on what changes there are? The ones I can recall are:

Essence: Tamitha moves her team forwards so they pretty much always start with the orb
Chastity: I think your guys take much longer to return after banishment?
Withdrawn: If you get banished you leave a pool of goo behind that banishes on touch
Dissidents: ??? I think something weird happens to the orb but I'm not sure what.
Temper: Ignatious's pyre is healed for 50?
Pyrehearts: ???
Fate:???
Accusers:???

I might have mixed some of this up.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 28, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You forgot the final team, where it starts raining fire.

I couldn't figure out what was going on with the Dissidents either. They said "hey the orb looks weird" and it was kinda glowy, but I couldn't figure out what it changed. Maybe it gives everyone the celestial spike effect?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It would kinda hang in the air for awhile instead of just landing, made it a bit of a pain to reclaim but definitely not one of the harder effects to overcome.

Tamitha's team... I was already struggling against them and they're aggressive positioning just made them roll right over me. Still, not super torn up about having her get out considering

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm enjoying the poo poo out of this game but now that the primary gameplay loop has revealed itself and the way it affects the plot moving forward it's really obvious that this game is trying to get you to go through multiple playthroughs and it seems like the amount of text you're going to have to fast forward through is going to be pretty oppressive

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think there's some replay value but I don't think it really *needs* replay.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fangz posted:

I think there's some replay value but I don't think it really *needs* replay.

Not done with my first playthrough yet (only liberated two people so far), but I would want to see how the story changes if you keep losing the rites over and over. Just not enough to actually play through it all again myself, it's more the sort of thing you look up online.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, if you really wanted to see how different orders play out or weren't super happy with your storyline outcomes, there's definitely enough to do another play-through but it's not required by any means. There's no kind of NewGame+ or anything afaik so it doesn't seem like an immediate replay is expected by the devs at all. Your ending is the true ending and it's, for me anyway, thorough enough to be satisfying as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for example of what i mean: the first person i slam dunked off my team was jodariel's slow moving rear end, and as far as i know that means i will never see what her sign, crime, or motivation was in her biography short of a second playthrough or looking it up

• Locked thread