Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Finished the game on Saturday. Just found this thread now

My release order was Ti'zo, Tamitha (lost, because I didn't realize how bad it would be with Yslach star on), Jodi, Dae, Hedwyn, Rukey, Volfred.

Revolution was quick and bloodless. Volfred was the first prime minister of the new Sahrian Union. He didn't run, but somehow got the job anyhow. My favorite part about the ending is that Barker gets bored without the rites, and since he's stuck in the Downside anyhow, he changes the rules (my guess is that without literal magical rites, you can't really enforce only one person moving at once) and essentially starts a basketball league. That's hilarious. Dae and Ti'zo kept in touch (and Ti'zo really liked the upside's fishing industry), as did Dae, Hedwyn, and Jodi. Rukey is working with Ron to get goods back and forth to those stuck in the downside. Bertrude is his competition, sort of.

I immediately want to replay this game on hard. The game was starting to get a little easy near the end.

On an unrelated note, I discovered that you can play one-off matches against a human, or a CPU, but you can also have zero-player matches, which is interesting for a laugh. Crank both AIs up to as high as they go, and it becomes clear that they were not designed to face off against each other, just a human. They implement all sorts of anti-human tactics that don't work against another AI opponent, like leaving a dude near your goal in the hopes you don't notice them until it's too late, and prioritizing keeping their dudes in the game over scoring more points. A lot of their tactics rely on your response time not being as high as theirs, and when both sides react that fast, they stalemate pretty hard. One side will eventually win, of course, but it takes forever. If you want to analyze the AI and its tactics, this is how you do it.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Yes absolutely the best part of the story is Barker inventing sportsball

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While it kinda failed in execution, I think what they were going for is having you completely determine who the Reader was, and therefore let you justify any ending you want - giving you the chance to betray everyone at the end is part of that

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

While it kinda failed in execution, I think what they were going for is having you completely determine who the Reader was, and therefore let you justify any ending you want - giving you the chance to betray everyone at the end is part of that

How do you betray your team? Lose on purpose? The idea is even if you lose, it's not over, life goes on. I don't think that counts as a betrayal. Saving Oralech isn't a betrayal either, when your teammate gives you the final decision, they stand by you no matter what choice you make.

On Brighton
I agree that Brighton's attempts to sway you weren't really realized in game but I think he still works as a character. Brighton functionally is a stand in for the commonwealth as a whole. Through him you can see how they took the scribes' teachings, the rites, and reduced it to mere ritual without substance. You do things a certain way because that's how it's done but the meaning behind them is ignored. Ultimately he and those like him end up fostering a corrupt highly stratified society that makes life miserable for everyone. Compare this to the Nightwings as they are now. They understand that trust and the bonds that keep them together is what's important. They work together and put each other's needs above their own during the liberation rites. They all make vows to follow the plan and each one of them sees it through if they are released. Keep in mind that all the liberated exiles are returning to a life of privilege and power. They have to give it up in order to follow the plan and risk losing everything to do it.

The biggest mark against Brighton in particular, is how quick he is to turn against and be disdainful towards his former teammates. Even Ti'zo he doesn't seem to consider highly, and that makes him a pretty lovely person. He also gives zero fucks about Oralech's predicament which considering how kind Oralech was as a Nightwing (which would have been how Brighton would have remembered him) really says something. Then Brighton's ultimately punished with the end of the rites and therefore the end of his significance, followed by his probable death/imprisonment after the commonwealth is destroyed. (At least in some endings, Hedwyn gets a line about leading the assault on his citadel. Presumably in the harp endings, they aren't particularly kind to him either) That's my take anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JuniperCake posted:

How do you betray your team? Lose on purpose? The idea is even if you lose, it's not over, life goes on. I don't think that counts as a betrayal. Saving Oralech isn't a betrayal either, when your teammate gives you the final decision, they stand by you no matter what choice you make.

Whoops, I must have misread an earlier post - I was under the impression that if you take the final Liberation for yourself, it could be interpreted as a "bad end".

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 8, 2017

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

That should probably still be in a spoiler.

And no, its not really a betrayal. The Exile up for Anointment makes the decision to give you the opportunity. Which you can then either take/give back to them/give to Oralech

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Conot posted:

That should probably still be in a spoiler.

And no, its not really a betrayal. The Exile up for Anointment makes the decision to give you the opportunity. Which you can then either take/give back to them/give to Oralech

What happens if the Reader chooses freedom? I gave the spot to Oralech.

Also, how do you get a "bloodless" revolution? I assume my bloody revolution was due to me blowing the liberation rite against Tamitha, fuuuuuck those harpies. Tamitha and Pamitha were free to roam the Commonwealth, but they definitely weren't on speaking terms. I also never liberated Volfried.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My sense of it is that different characters contribute different values to revolution success, possibly depending on when they got out, and you get bloodless if you get a high enough number, though the system might be more complex than that. The epilogue text says stuff like Hedwyn and Jodi being instrumental to the success of the revolution, so I imagine they matter more than, say, Fae or Tizo.

If you nominate yourself you get a fairly happy ending. But (outside of a special case) Oralech kills himself. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snuffman posted:

Also, how do you get a "bloodless" revolution? I assume my bloody revolution was due to me blowing the liberation rite against Tamitha, fuuuuuck those harpies. Tamitha and Pamitha were free to roam the Commonwealth, but they definitely weren't on speaking terms. I also never liberated Volfried.

I got it by sending Jodariel, then Sir Gillam, then Tizo, then Bae, then Rukey, then Hedwyn, and finally Oralech

Not sure if any other decisions factor into it, probably not.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I got it too with Hedwyn, Tamitha (threw the match on purpose), *ae, Sir Gilman, Pamitha, Rukey, Bertrude

I think bertrude ends up being critical if you release her because she has a lot of knowledge and is very good at getting the word out. She's absolutely a mover. And I wouldn't downsell *ae either. When she's released people flock to her as a prophet of the scribes, and in fact she becomes the herald of that religion and helps sway people from Astralist belief (which was the commonwealth's majority religion apparently?). Tizo as a direct descendent of one of the scribes and as the only imp not in downside I think would also have quite a bit to contribute. He's basically a living legend. Though I've not tried releasing him so I don't know what exactly he contributes.

I do have to wonder if there is an element of chance to it though. Has anyone run the same order twice but gotten different results? I also wonder if certain combinations help more than others or if it's just each exile has their own "score" that they contribute.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's an implication that the revolution is inspired by the exiles looking like the original 8 scribes. Hedwyn is said to be the reincarnation of General Gol, Jodi represents the old emperor, etc. This is why sandalwood wanted an exile to fit each mask, I think.

I'm not saying the game establishes that they're all descendants or reincarnations of the scribes, but rather the revolutionaries themselves draw that connection. More of a popular legend than a fact. Ti'zo is the only one who is definitely directly connected to the scribes.

The revolution was bloodless because the rulers of the Commonwealth left, surrendered or abdicated due to the popular pressure. The revolutionaries, led by the exiles, literally marched down the streets.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Supergiant has posted over on the Steam forums about what's needed to get the various major endings. In order to get the bloodless revolution, you need to free at least six Nightwings (the Reader doesn't count as one). Despite Sandalwood's probability estimates, there's no randomness in any of the endings - they considered using it, but ultimately didn't feel that it was appropriate to have a major part of the story in their story-based game depend on a die roll at the end where, for instance, someone who managed to get a 90% success chance could just get unlucky and fail.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Fangz posted:

My sense of it is that different characters contribute different values to revolution success, possibly depending on when they got out, and you get bloodless if you get a high enough number, though the system might be more complex than that. The epilogue text says stuff like Hedwyn and Jodi being instrumental to the success of the revolution, so I imagine they matter more than, say, Fae or Tizo.

If you nominate yourself you get a fairly happy ending. But (outside of a special case) Oralech kills himself. :(

Ti'zo is actually pretty important, I think. He becomes sort of a mascot for how the times are a-changin, since nobody's seen an Imp before and he's cute af

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HundredBears posted:

Supergiant has posted over on the Steam forums about what's needed to get the various major endings. In order to get the bloodless revolution, you need to free at least six Nightwings (the Reader doesn't count as one). Despite Sandalwood's probability estimates, there's no randomness in any of the endings - they considered using it, but ultimately didn't feel that it was appropriate to have a major part of the story in their story-based game depend on a die roll at the end where, for instance, someone who managed to get a 90% success chance could just get unlucky and fail.

Ah okay, cool. I like that.

It means all the exiles are equally important and I think that works well with the messaging of the game in general. Though I suppose the fact that you don't count means the only way to get the good ending and get your (or Oralech's freedom) is to never lose a single liberation rite except for possibly the last one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think there's more than just a minor implication that the night wings Are the 8 scribes, or at least that some match up (Bae is deffo the wild witch, tizo, etc)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

HundredBears posted:

Playing through a ten hour, heavily story driven game only to get Xcommed with a 99% at the very end would be amazing.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Playing through a ten hour, heavily story driven game only to get Xcommed with a 99% at the very end would be amazing.

Jesus dude, put up a trigger warning before you say something like that.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just finished the campaign. Got the bloodless revolution. Feel like I should have let Tamitha and Oralech go when I had the opportunity, but gave The Plan precedent over everything else. Apparently I ended up shagging Sandra because her epilogue would have "been too lascivious" too tell properly. That felt kind of, I don't know, predictable? I didn't really mean to get a qt waifu.

Supergiant is absolutely one of my favorite studios, but the magic realism wizard rugby was a weird fit for me. Metaphorically it all works, I'm glad to see a video game that's not drenched in violence for no reason. But like Bastion and Transistor, I wish I could explore this world a little more granularly. Oh, and gently caress Falcon Ron. Dude was gross.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Falcon Ron is a good boy.

Do not bully Ron.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Supergiant is absolutely one of my favorite studios, but the magic realism wizard rugby was a weird fit for me. Metaphorically it all works, I'm glad to see a video game that's not drenched in violence for no reason. But like Bastion and Transistor, I wish I could explore this world a little more granularly.

At this point I leave every single Supergiant game wanting at least one more game in the same world to explore it more. I felt that really, really keenly in Transistor, too. Like we get just enough of a glimpse at these worlds to want more, but because the games tend to be laser-focused on what makes that specific game work (which is probably a good choice), there's a lot that we never get to explore.

Some day I'm going to run a tabletop game in a setting inspired by the Commonwealth/Downside. Maybe I'll get super ambitious and try to replace the combat system with magic fire basketball.

I think the magical wizard sports thing is explicitly there because of the lack of violence, if I remember correctly. The idea was that you should always be able to continue the story even if you lose a "battle," and the idea of the fights actually being a symbolic sporting competition sort of arose from that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The thing about the music in Pyre for me is that it's incredibly good video game music, especially since it's dynamic and that's something you can't even do in other mediums, but Paper Boats was just straight up a great love song that works entirely on its own. By tying the music so closely to the game plot it doesn't work outside of it.

That said the team songs are all pretty great. I went out of my way to fight the curs because that music :swoon:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The Withdrawn's theme "Dread Design" is my pick.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Am I playing Wrong when I retry rites when I lose? I know it doesnt matter if you lose or win its just that i prefer to win

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The Withdrawn's theme "Dread Design" is my pick.

by the scribes, my pick is "grand ceremony", the Chastity's theme.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mistaya posted:

The thing about the music in Pyre for me is that it's incredibly good video game music, especially since it's dynamic and that's something you can't even do in other mediums, but Paper Boats was just straight up a great love song that works entirely on its own. By tying the music so closely to the game plot it doesn't work outside of it.

Transistor is probably the only game I've ever played where the music is good enough to stand on its own. All the vocal tracks (besides We All Become which I don't really like) are good, as well as a bunch of the instrumental tracks like Heightmap and Old Friends. Songs like "The Spine" are directly tied to events in the game, but the lyrics are ambiguous enough to work as regular songs whereas Pyre's are all more directly about playing fantasy basketball in one way or another.

I didn't really expect them to top Transistor in terms of music though, that game was really something special. Pyre is going to have to settle for second-best video game music.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Am I playing Wrong when I retry rites when I lose? I know it doesnt matter if you lose or win its just that i prefer to win

by the scribes, my pick is "grand ceremony", the Chastity's theme.

Absolutely not wrong at all. The whole story is influenced by what you win or lose, so it makes sense to me that you want to retry it. (I did the same thing.) It's also not wrong to accept the loss and see how the story flows.

The Chastity song is definitely in my top 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Transistor is probably the only game I've ever played where the music is good enough to stand on its own. All the vocal tracks (besides We All Become which I don't really like) are good, as well as a bunch of the instrumental tracks like Heightmap and Old Friends. Songs like "The Spine" are directly tied to events in the game, but the lyrics are ambiguous enough to work as regular songs whereas Pyre's are all more directly about playing fantasy basketball in one way or another.

I didn't really expect them to top Transistor in terms of music though, that game was really something special. Pyre is going to have to settle for second-best video game music.

I think part of the reason Transistor's songs are good at standing on their own is because Red herself is singing them, or rather, they're songs she used to sing before she lost her voice in the beginning of the game. They relate to the world of the game, but ultimately they're supposed to be in-universe popular music, rather than video game background music.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/SnuffyMcSnuff/status/896120773194035200

Aw :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow that is way too cute. Xae/Jodi :3:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Instant phone background

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do you always get the scene where Bertrude confesses she loves Volfred and he says he was "born different"? Really made me like both character a lot more

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Harrow posted:

I think part of the reason Transistor's songs are good at standing on their own is because Red herself is singing them, or rather, they're songs she used to sing before she lost her voice in the beginning of the game. They relate to the world of the game, but ultimately they're supposed to be in-universe popular music, rather than video game background music.

This is why "The Spine" is my favourite Darren Korb/Ashley Barrett tune.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

strangemusic posted:

This is why "The Spine" is my favourite Darren Korb/Ashley Barrett tune.

I agree, build that wall and paper boats are tied for the best thing that Darren/Ashley have written and performed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quick question: if I lose a Liberation Rite, does the person I choose lose their chance forever, or could I choose them again?

I'm considering throwing against the Fate, because drat it they're so nice to me I can't bring myself to crush them :smith: But I don't want to nominate someone I'd like to liberate later and then not be able to do so.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, you should be able to anoint the same person.
After all, the NPC triumvirates do that! :v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Harrow posted:

Quick question: if I lose a Liberation Rite, does the person I choose lose their chance forever, or could I choose them again?

Yup.

I nominated Volfried against the Harpies, lost, but then nominated him again at the next liberation rite.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had to face the Essence in the second-to-last Liberation Rite and it, uh, did not go well. Holy poo poo gently caress those birds.

I lost the last two Liberation Rites, though the last one was on-purpose--it got really close and I decided to let Oralech have it. Glad I did, because him coming to his realization before leaving was really satisfying, and in the end I gave him his freedom anyway. In the end I freed five Nightwings, so I didn't get a peaceful revolution, and it's all the fuckin' Essence's fault, but I'm still pretty satisfied with the ending.

Really drat good game.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I feel like I'm in the astounding minority by doing it but my first three free were Jodi, Rukey, and Hedwyn. Broaways before Stowaways :colbert:

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
can i just say how i love how pyre did the hover flavor text thing like tyranny? i love that feature

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New Butt Order posted:

I feel like I'm in the astounding minority by doing it but my first three free were Jodi, Rukey, and Hedwyn. Broaways before Stowaways :colbert:

Nope, me too. Jodi was an accident--at the first Liberation, I could only pick her, Hedwyn, or Shae, and I wasn't about to let either of the other two go yet, so Jodi had to go. After that was Hedwyn, then my dog bro Rukey. Then Gilman and Pamitha were the next two. I was going to free Volfred against the Essence but I got owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how do you do a new game after finishing the last rite? I'm not seeing the option.

also i'm pissed, I'm missing two pages of the book, I never fought the Beyonders again and i'm never been back at the nest of triesta :argh:

• Locked thread