Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bucks
taguchi japan
taichi/taka
despy/kanemaru
bushi/hiromu??
liger/tm4
rocky/ospreay??

junior tag league could be fun. tempura boyz maybe. finlay/kawato maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i love taka running over to the english commentary to curse in a surprisingly gravelly voice.

also what's up with KES, they any good? davey boy jr. is HUGE, i dont remember his dad seeming nearly as big.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

shiksa posted:

i love taka running over to the english commentary to curse in a surprisingly gravelly voice.

also what's up with KES, they any good? davey boy jr. is HUGE, i dont remember his dad seeming nearly as big.

They're a pretty traditional gaijin hoss team. Both are good, capable of being great. Archer in particular has shown flashes of brilliance but has never quite pieced it all together for me. Overall it's good they're back and the match with War Machine is going to be a cool hoss off.

E: Definitely better than GOD, imho.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I forgot to mention... when Shibata got in the ring, he smiled! Nevermind that the man can walk again and take a back bump... HE SMILED!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Demtor posted:

I forgot to mention... when Shibata got in the ring, he smiled! Nevermind that the man can walk again and take a back bump... HE SMILED!!

Guess the brain injury wasn't a work.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
oh my god naito's head hitting the post what the fuuuuck

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that post was made of foam, as was the 'shibata' that came out for awhile. It's all perfectly fine

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Yelped in fear at the post spot

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

NickRoweFillea posted:

Yelped in fear at the post spot

Legit pulled my hair and squinted like I was watching a horror film. Haven't had that kind of reaction in wrestling since I was a kid.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That and the Piledriver table spot were scary but in slow mo you could see they worked it to be safe. It was the reverse Rana's that were super scary in real life

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad
so at the end of the day, what was everyone's favorite G1 matches? for sheer enjoyment I'm still going with Nagata/Tanahashi, ZSJ/Ibushi and Okada/Suzuki but I think probably Naito/Tana was the best match. the finals definitely felt like a step below the very best matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Outside of the last 3 days my favourite match was either Elgin/Omega or EVIL/Okada from B Block, and Ibushi/Naito from A Block

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

so at the end of the day, what was everyone's favorite G1 matches? for sheer enjoyment I'm still going with Nagata/Tanahashi, ZSJ/Ibushi and Okada/Suzuki but I think probably Naito/Tana was the best match. the finals definitely felt like a step below the very best matches.

My top 3:

ZSJ/Tana
Omega/Suzuki
Okada/Omega

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm watching Okada-Omega III right now and just after the 15 min mark Okada pulls off the rarely achieved Kobashi Grimace and the camera work is just SO PERFECT.

This is as the Japanese commentary is wondering if Gedo should throw in the towel for Okada and stop the match, which I hope they were doing in English too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

harperdc posted:

I'm watching Okada-Omega III right now and just after the 15 min mark Okada pulls off the rarely achieved Kobashi Grimace and the camera work is just SO PERFECT.

This is as the Japanese commentary is wondering if Gedo should throw in the towel for Okada and stop the match, which I hope they were doing in English too.

The English commentary, including CHAOS member Rocky Romero, were all adamant that Gedo stop the suffering.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the English Commentary is really good. For a while it felt like they were just (when they started) just ad-libbing it all, but now they're clearly getting the angles and stories across.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That and the Piledriver table spot were scary but in slow mo you could see they worked it to be safe. It was the reverse Rana's that were super scary in real life

I shrieked at the one on the floor in Okada/Omega.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The ridiculous Rock Bottom from Omega on Okada got me to jump up out of my chair.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it wasn't my favorite match because i wasn't as emotionally invested in it as i was with others, but Kota Ibushi v Tetsuya Naito from night one was probably my favorite just based on the wrasslin. those two guys were going insane, the most cool spots i remember from a match in the tournament.

i marked out huge for zsj beating tanahashi, did not expect that at all.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
a Kobashi Grimace is what you call someone who has turned purple from all the chops they've received

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

harperdc posted:

*extremely philistine voice* what is a kobashi grimace

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

checksin posted:

a Kobashi Grimace is what you call someone who has turned purple from all the chops they've received

A Kobashi Grimace is what got me banned from all McDonald's on the east coast.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Please rate this year's G1 Climax tournament using this chart:

I rate it "center square"

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Middle row, far right column. Tranquilo, guey

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Middle Row, Middle Row second from Right

Blessed was this G1 Tranquilo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bottom row second from right.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
The more I think about the Omega/Naito match the more I loving love that match. Having spots that look like botches is like such cool poo poo that is so rarely done. Not to mention done well. It just makes me thrilled with how much talent is in NJPW right now.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
Naito pretending to throw away the trophy was fantastic.

Okada's arc over this tournament has been one of the highlights. It's hard to determine this without knowing what's said in promos/commentary, but it seemed to me the story was that Okada was so determined to be a great fighting champion that he has destroyed his body throughout the tournament, eventually leading to his neck injury being exploited by Omega. Which also beautifully explains how Omega could put him away in such a sort time considering they fought to a stalemate previously.

In spite all of that, it's the arrogant, irreverent wrestler who works at his own pace who comes out on top. It's pretty awesome.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Giant Murderbaby posted:

Naito pretending to throw away the trophy was fantastic.

Okada's arc over this tournament has been one of the highlights. It's hard to determine this without knowing what's said in promos/commentary, but it seemed to me the story was that Okada was so determined to be a great fighting champion that he has destroyed his body throughout the tournament, eventually leading to his neck injury being exploited by Omega. Which also beautifully explains how Omega could put him away in such a sort time considering they fought to a stalemate previously.

In spite all of that, it's the arrogant, irreverent wrestler who works at his own pace who comes out on top. It's pretty awesome.

So you don't know what's been said in promos and commentary on New Japan shows?
Fix that problem at http://www.thelionmarks.com

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

Takuan posted:

So you don't know what's been said in promos and commentary on New Japan shows?
Fix that problem at http://www.thelionmarks.com

Awesome! Thanks for this.

Naito posted:

I find nothing really interesting about Okada. Tokyo dome is much more attractive to me than other points.

Oh Naito..

Giant Murderbaby fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

Bottom row second from right.