Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Best time of the year. Wishing all the dudes good health and all of us a lot of fun poo poo. Still think it's Naito's year but definitely hoping for Kenny to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

TTBF posted:

This is my first G-1. How long do the nights last? I'm on the west coast so I was wondering if staying up for the entire event was possible.

Varies. Most shows tend to be a shorter than the 4-5 hour big show NJPW norm until the Sumo Hall shows at the end. Seem to remember most being in the 2.5-3 hour range last year but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Even bringing in Ibushi and the fans still cheered Naito more in that match. Can't fight the tide this year. I still don't want it, but he should win, and Kenny/Ibushi can do their big gently caress off match as the semi main in January.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Okada will drop falls to Kojima and Suzuki before the final night, Omega will drops falls to Sanada and Big Mike and Suzuki will lose to Yano of all people. Final night I think Suzuki loses so the winner of Omega/Okada goes to the final.

Reason I think Kojima beats Okada is that they need a challenge before the dome and given that Okada is closing in on Hashimoto's title reign record a legend makes all the sense for a challenger

I dig that Kojima idea because that's a title match I'd be into for King of Pro Wrestling.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I've been watching the last couple days and will watch the next couple days casually in the morning with my coffee before work. It's nice but I usually become a more passive consumer during the middle portion. I'll be back to watching live come Sumo Hall.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I don't see Okada losing in a semi-main. That loss is being saved for Kenny, or possibly the finals.

A Block, who the gently caress knows at this point. Still think Naito wins but nice to have a good top mix there for the back half.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

harperdc posted:

It is much much much more fluid than WWE, and allowing people in the middle (LIJ/Bullet Club) to work either way definitely allows them to be more interesting than just one-note heels.

I'd go with Skinty's ladder but put LIJ and BC as equals heel-wise.

Guys tend to stay true to their characters regardless of the role, so the fluidity is logical. Compare to WWE which to a degree tries to do the same "there are no more faces or heels" dynamic; WWE struggles with this because characters are a lot more bipolar.

Example: Tanahashi is generally a good guy, loves the fans, etc., but it's not out of character for him to flex the ego a bit and be cocky when he goes up against someone lower on the card. This lets him heel it up in the match and get a ton of heat without confusing fans as to what they should be doing (booing, cheering, whatever).

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mkay0 posted:

My prediction- Okada and Omega draw again, Okada over Naito in the final. Okada calls out Omega for the dome.

I dig this idea, but I think the biggest card they can do still has Naito challenging Okada. And it sets up well with Okada avenging his loss by beating the #2 in LIJ in October. Predictable but solid Gedo booking.

E: Although to be fair, really didn't see Evil beating Okada this year or the Juice upset, so while the long term vision is predicable, props for a couple interesting short term surprises.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Thauros posted:

Even tho none of them mean anything in terms of standings the rest of the block matches look pretty loving sweet aside from Y-H vs. Makabe (which should still be fine). ZSJ s. Ishii was amazing in Long Beach, Ibushi might provide for Goto's most interesting match, and a monster heel is perfect for Nagata's final G-1 match.

Really hope Nagata wins that. That's probably the most interesting non title, non tournament match to me in a little while.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I thought this was one of the best shows of the year. Microcosm for why NJPW is so awesome - had a little bit of everything between the fun tags, the comedy, different styles, and raw emotion. Main event was killer and gut reaction was a little better than the match at Dominion.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Can we talk about how Kenny delivered the all time, no question, GREATEST uranage ever? Of all the moves these two have done to each other that was the coolest one to me.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Feels like we're going to get some LIJ/Bullet Club fuckery in tonight's finals. It's been a while since they did run-ins during a major main event (that affected the outcome), and I could see this being the night Cody turns on Kenny to cost him the match, or maybe Ibushi somehow gets involved, or something so Kenny doesn't lose clean.

E: Actually, Ibushi coming out and distracting Kenny would be the first time in ages I'd be happy with a distraction finish.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 13, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Was Callis bullshitting there or was that the massive thing for 2018 that the Bucks have been playing coy about (some kind of collab with HBO)?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
So many thoughts but biggest to me:

- Main event was incredible, but I've hit my limit with head drops. There were some truly brutal moves in that match. That post spot in particular, if it was planned, wasn't thought out well; the angle and gravity involved would mean a miss by even a couple inches and both go completely tumbling to the outside and almost impossible to have control in landing on the floor. Looked like both came away from the match relatively unscathed which is a minor miracle.

- I need to see this Ibushi/Kenny interaction. I wanted to Kenny to win but I'm at peace with it since it's becoming more and more obvious we're getting this match at WK.

- Shibata comeback was the cherry on top. I don't think it was shown in the English feed? Weird.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

shiksa posted:

i love taka running over to the english commentary to curse in a surprisingly gravelly voice.

also what's up with KES, they any good? davey boy jr. is HUGE, i dont remember his dad seeming nearly as big.

They're a pretty traditional gaijin hoss team. Both are good, capable of being great. Archer in particular has shown flashes of brilliance but has never quite pieced it all together for me. Overall it's good they're back and the match with War Machine is going to be a cool hoss off.

E: Definitely better than GOD, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

NickRoweFillea posted:

Yelped in fear at the post spot

Legit pulled my hair and squinted like I was watching a horror film. Haven't had that kind of reaction in wrestling since I was a kid.

• Locked thread