Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

harperdc posted:

Just a public service for anybody new to NJPW, that while Kenny may have the best entrance theme, Minoru Suzuki has the greatest:

https://youtu.be/A0P-SgpwYnE

From Wrestle Kingdom a few years ago, Suzuki had the singer who wrote and performed "Kaze ni nare" live to bring him in. Dome can lose the crowd noise a bit due to the size, but believe me, that is a huge pop.

Between this and Kairi Sane/Hojo, apparently Japanese women in pirate cosplay is a thing I'm down with now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doesn't Fale always beat one of the top guys during the G1 so they can do a return match on one of the other shows before New Year? He lost to Tanahashi, and Okada and Omega are in the other block, so Naito's the only other one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

Omega most likely beats Okada here, it's his chance to finally get a win over Okada. Suzuki's facing Yano last night, and since Omega beat Suzuki, Omega can finish with as many points as Suzuki and still win.

So I expect that Suzuki beats Okada, and on the last night Omega is in a position to tie Suzuki on points, while Omega can surpass Suzuki if he wins. So I don't expect any of the three to lose a lot.

Or maybe Suzuki could get the win on the last night, but Yano wins because lol.

I'm thinking maybe Omega beats Okada, but by count out, so you still have the question mark of if he can beat him for reals at the Dome, although I could also see that happening and then Ibushi or Naito wins the whole thing and gets the Dome match because Kenny has to defend the US title on the Jan 4 show (probably against Cody to set up the Bullet Club split on the follow up show)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Makes sense that BIGMIKE would beat Kenny, cuz that sets up an easy match for the US title if they want to do one down the road.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not that it would happen, but who advances in case of a draw in points in one of the blocks?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Johnny Landmine posted:

Daryl was just a coping mechanism for the tragic loss of Mr. Belt anyway

Belt-san is much happier with KUSHIDA. He gets to ride around in a Delorean.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm thinking Page and Cody vs War Machine for the tag belts, and maybe Ricochet and Taguchi for the junior belts?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I suppose it depends if they want to pay more than lip-service to the idea that the US title isn't just a vanity belt they gave Kenny as decoration. Because he'd have to drop it before the Dome if you're doing the Okada calls him out for the rubber match thing, otherwise the one belt that's not defended is the one that the US fans are supposed to care about? And it's kind of lame if he drops it in the first defence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, and if, say, the US tour is in July again, that's a good amount of time, and the first Okada/Omega match in over a year is a good draw if they're going for a WWE sized building.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Man the sweat flying on those slaps is a hell of a visual.

I realize the results were booked before the tournament even started and I like Elgin as much as the next guy, but EVIL really should have taken that one after his performance in the last two matches.

Problem is that would keep EVIL in contention because he has the win over Okada, and they clearly want to tease the time limit in the Kenny/Okada match because of the one point gap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

I was kinda bummed that the bracketing meant we were robbed the sight of Ishii sadly murdering his silly little friend Yano

Just holding him out at arm's length while Yano windmills his arms comically, before sighing sadly and lariating him to death.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I would love that. I also think the paying crowd would not.

Too bad they already bought their tickets for Sunday, then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Tournaments have historically not been draws in the US and round robin tournaments have been even harder to get over.

Is that inherent, or because most tournaments in the US big leagues tend to rely on 3 minute matches and lovely finishes that get no-one over? The CWC was a decent viewership draw on the Network, and wasn't the Bound For Glory Series moderately successful for TNA until they inevitably hosed it up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that literally the same opening 8 man as today's show?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

On the one hand that six man teases a future IC match between ZSJ and Tana.

On the other, could it be foreshadowing Elgin or Ibushi for the openweight?

It can be both, can't it? Elgin and Suzuki brawl to the back, while ZSJ and Tanahashi go at it in the ring and... I dunno, Ibushi does flips over IIzuka's gimmick fingers?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it was a blatant DDT into the post. Stupid, but worked. Same as the piledriver on the table. The replay makes it obvious that Naito knew he was going to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That and the Piledriver table spot were scary but in slow mo you could see they worked it to be safe. It was the reverse Rana's that were super scary in real life

I shrieked at the one on the floor in Okada/Omega.

• Locked thread